Options

Favorite Version of Daughter?

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited December 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Granted I haven't heard too many versions (15 or so), The Gorge '06 night 1 blew me away. Seriously, it was unbelievable. That It's OK tag is some of the best stuff the band put out. I must admit, the whole "If I say It's OK, will you say It's OK" but was on the cheesy side, but hey, It's OK! The way this tag played out was pretty epicly. It beats the crap out of Another Brick in the Wall in my opinion.

Ahem... anyway. What do you got?
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    the WMA tag is brilliant ...Berlin 06.
    and Sydney 06 tag of "Beds Are Burning" is class.
    Toronto 03 version has tag of The Pretenders "Brass In Pocket" , i like that one too
    Seattle II 2000 - ed does a scream and chant thing thats on lots of other boots but that night he keeps going higher & higher and the final scream is epic

worth checking out if you aint heard them.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Good call. I love that version as well over_bends. :) Talk about a chillfest! Aw I loved the "It's Ok" tag! I swear Eddie brought us all back to life during that magic. We were being cooked alive out there. :eek: It really was exactly the burst of life that we needed. So comforting too. What a magical version on many, many levels. :o

But ummmm......
    Please god listen to the MILANO 2006 version!!!! :eek:
    "Loud" and "magical" don't even begin to describe!! This thing is unreal!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I like the Gorge 06 version too. One of the best I've heard. The version on touring band DVD is great too.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    i cant go past jones beach 2000 with the original it's ok tag.

being a lennon fan, i also thought the mother tag on perth 06 was not too bad. it was certainly unexpected at the time.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091

being a lennon fan, i also thought the mother tag on perth 06 was not too bad. it was certainly unexpected at the time.

Awww totally agree. :o Huge Lennon fan here as well. ;) I remember seeing that show up on the setlist as a tag. Just seeing it there I felt choked up. And then to actually hear it? Goodness. Excellent choice. That song always breaks my heart and even though the tag was short, it was really moving. Ed never ceases to amaze me with capturing that intense emotion ya know? *sigh*

I also agree with all the other versions mentioned here so far. There's some really obvious classics that you cant help but mention. Then there's the more obscure ones that not everyone knows about. And I know there's so many that we havent even heard!!!! Just so many countless 'best' versions out there. I always like reading what others have to say though and making notes of those that I havent yet checked out. :)

Oooo and another great one that comes to mind that I always have to make sure to mention...

DENVER 2003

hehe.
    These threads never seem to get to old to me. :p

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I agree with all those mentioned already as well! Daughter/It's OK is by far the best tag ever in my opinion. The Jones Beach 2000 version is incredible!

Also the Daughter/War tag from the Showbox in 2002 is extremely powerful!

I know there are more I can't think of right now too.
  • Options
    Virginia Beach 2000 Brilliant!!
    The waiting drove me mad!!!
  • Options
    Some good choices...however, i must say that the best version of 'Daughter' that i've heard is from Saratoga, NY in 2000. They tagged it with WMA/Beginning To See The Light/Androgynous Mind. It was sick! Unfortunately i didn't recognize the different tags at the time because i was too wasted, and it was my first PJ show. Luckily i was able to get the bootleg shortly thereafter.
    Many years (and shows) later, i still think it is one of the best. The Gorge version is bad ass too, but almost everything played at the Gorge had a little extra to it. I also agree that the War tag from the Showbox DVD is very powerful...somewhat scary, but definitely powerful. Haven't heard all of the others mentioned but will certainly give them a listen. PEACE!

P.S. If you listen carefully to 'Porch' from Saratoga, Mike plays some riffs from Jimi Hendrix 'Voodoo Chile' during the solo/breakdown...fucking kick ass!
    Saratoga '00
    Holmdel '03
    Boston '04 (both nights)
    Montreal '05
    Ottawa '05
    Albany '06
    Hartford '06
    Las Vegas '06
    San Diego '06

If I wasn't so broke I would probably have seen 5 times as many shows!

"Made it to the ocean, smoked a joint a tree..."
  • Options
    anytime they play "it's ok" during it
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    I went to both Gorge '06 shows and the Daughter/It's OK was pretty damned good. However, I was also able to make it to the Milan, Italy show in '06 and the crowd was absolutely amazing, so every song from that night has to be my favorite live version.

Daughter from Milan 2006 is the winner!
    "He won the lottery by being born. Big hand slapped a white male American."

Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane and Phoenix 2013
    Vancouver 2011
    LA, Seattle I, Seattle II 2009
    Milan, The Gorge I and The Gorge II 2006
    The Gorge 2005
    Listening since '92
  • Options
    The one that gets me every time is the "War" tag from the Showbox 2000. The way he gets so pissed and spits fire on the "fuck me, fuck you, no war, no war, not over my dead body....." pretty much chills me to the bone every time I hear it. To watch him have that strong an emotional reaction to a song he has performed so many times is striking.

As for the versions I was in attendance for......Gorge '06 and Seattle #2 '98 come to mind right away.

LOVE THIS THREAD
  • Options
    cjs4uofw wrote:
    I went to both Gorge '06 shows and the Daughter/It's OK was pretty damned good. However, I was also able to make it to the Milan, Italy show in '06 and the crowd was absolutely amazing, so every song from that night has to be my favorite live version.

Daughter from Milan 2006 is the winner!

That is a great version.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    Mexico city 2005 ..... Amazing version
  • Options
    lol2l version because of all the weird sounds and echoes at the end
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    Mexico city 2005 ..... Amazing version

ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!