Options

*** Chicago, IL 1 Fanviews Here 9/5/23 ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 308
    umafuaba said:
    I was in 313, crowd was pretty subdued up there, many people even left early which blows my mind.  Show was good but I thought the sound could have been better.
    I hate that I’m writing this, but I left early too.  This was my 47th (!) PJ show, and I’ve been a 10C member since the religious experience I had when I saw them with my uncle at Alpine Valley in ‘98… but this show was just such a bad vibe for me, and I hate that it was.  I think it starts with 10C (again) brutally handling a presale.  I had great seats, but 3 switches later, after the public on sale date, I’m stuck with seats behind the stage in the 300 level.  The sound and energy up there was abysmal.  We felt cast away, not to mention that people next to us bought in on stubhub immediately before the show for 46 bucks for the pair… and I had the privilege of paying 350 through 10C.   So combined with the fact that the sound was awful, the pace was slow, the keys were low, and that it wasn’t the first time I’ve felt completely left out by the 10C, at this same venue, no less… we left.   And didn’t look back.  And I’ve never felt sadder.  
    that is a total bummer. I hope this is not my feeling after tonight. This will be my 3rd show at United Center. The place is just a massive cave and I just kind of look past the crappy sound bouncing off everything. why I love open air. I dedicated myself to the band also at the '98 Aline Show. 
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited September 2023
    Did anyone notice Eddie’s short Pee Wee Herman dance when he was on Stone’s side?  I forgot which song but he did the same thing during DTE at Alpine in 1998.  Intend to notice random things like that.  

RIP Paul Reubens
    Post edited by Eddieshometown on
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    Did anyone notice Eddie’s short Pee Wee Herman dance when he was on Stone’s side?  I forgot which song but he did the same thing during DTE at Alpine in 1998.  Intend to notice random things like that.  

RIP Paul Reubens
    I laughed my ass off when I saw him doing that…the famous Tequila Pee Wee dance!
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Absolutely astonishing set list and another fantastic performance by the fellas.  I can’t believe how many songs in this set are in my top 10 fave PJ songs (Release, Faithfull, Animal, In My Tree, RVM) and an insane rarity too (God’s Dice!!!!).  Throw Your Arms Around me is def one of my favorite covers - it was on a mix tape (an actual tape) I made for my then girlfriend at 15 years old - we are now married 20 years with 3 amazing kids.  Have to admit I welled up during that one (and when the 9 year old “first show” birthday girl hugged her Dad).  Just needed Come Back for the “Bear Trilogy” (you heard it here first). Simply phenomenal show!!!  I think this is my favor of the first 3 (but Sat STP crowd edged out tonight).  Still….WE ALL BELIEVE!!
    I thought the crowd was rocking!! I was on the 100 level straight on in the back and had a great overall view of the crowd. Faithful and Not for You was off the hook crowd wise. And that was my 48th show
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    cbbjr said:
    This was my 21st show, and the third of this tour. Seats were on 200 level directly behind Ed, which made for an interesting - in a good way - view. One the best aspects of it was getting to see how different people in the audience, particularly those on the rail, reacted when Ed, Mike, or anyone else would interact with them. It definitely added something different to this show from having seats facing the front of the band.

When we got to our seats we started chatting with the family next to us, who was from Virginia and brought their daughter who turned nine the day of the show. It was her first concert. They had a big sign for her and since we were on the second row on the 200 level directly behind Ed, it seemed there would be a good chance the band would see it. Her parents said her favorite song is DOTC, and while it isn’t my cup of tea I certainly hoped they would play it for the birthday girl. 

Release is my favorite opener and Low Light one of my highlights on Yield, so I loved how it started. I thought the next three, Just Breathe, Retrograde, and Who Ever Said were just ok, but then things quickly changed. The entire band, and Ed in particular, were really into Corduroy. That is when I realized it would be a special night, and most of the rest of the main set (Comatose being the exception) was stellar. It is hard to pick out a few highlights because it was all so amazing, but I really enjoyed God’s Dice, Faithful, Animal, Light Years, having a great view of seeing both Matt and Josh pounding on the drums during In My Tree, and RVM.

The encore picked up right were the main set left off. Ed has been really chatty the entire tour, particularly at this how. The stories were great, and it obviously meant a lot to him to be back in Chicago around family and seeing his grandmother’s old apartment. Ed ran off stage and down the tunnel right after Throw Your Arms Around Me and didn’t make it back up on stage until just a few seconds before he had to start singing Inside Job (maybe the long intro gives him time for a bathroom break?).

Better Man typically is something I could do without, but tonight it was one of the standouts, particularly seeing the fireflies. I love that they ended with Surrender, as did a lot of fans on the rail based on how much they were jumping up and down and screaming at the top of their lungs.

Going back to one detail, when they started on DOTC, the nine year old next to us was smiling ear to ear since it is her favorite song and that is what she most wanted to see. Then later in the show when the put her with the sign on the video board, she got a huge ovation from the crowd, and I don’t think I have ever seen anyone in the world look as happy and as overcome with emotion as she was in that moment. If you told me on my way into the venue the highlight would be a nine year old sitting near me I would have said you were crazy, but that ended up being the case.

I won’t be able to make it to any other shows this tour, but it has been an unbelievable week seeing them three times and I cannot wait until the next tour.
    Great story thanks for sharing. I was there thanks for the details. 
  • Options
    Berlin2000Berlin2000 NYC Posts: 112
    It was show #15 for me and I had a blast! Easily in the top 5 for me. Got stuck with nosebleeds through the Fanclub sale, but I played the F2F game all day Tuesday and landed in section 113 row 7. Took weeks on TM and 11 (!) ticket trades, but it was worth it!!!
    PJ: 2000-6-25: Berlin, GER | 2005-3-18: Seattle, WA | 2006-6-30: Milwaukee, WI | 2009-8-24: Chicago, IL | 2012-7-5: Berlin, GER | 2013-7-19: Chicago, IL | 2014-10-17: Moline, IL | 2014-10-20: Milwaukee, WI | 2016-8-20: Chicago 1, IL | 2016-8-22: Chicago 2, IL | 2018-8-18: Chicago N1 |  2018-8-20: Chicago 2, IL | 2021-9-18: Asbury Park, NJ | 2022-9-11: MSG, NY | 2023-9-5: Chicago, IL |
    EV: 2017-9-2: Dana Point, CA | 2022-2-3: NYC 1, NY | 2022-2-4: NYC 2, NY
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about rockstardown's experience.  Truly horrible.  10C needs to do better.  So mad I missed Tuesday though.  Release is my favorite!  What are the chances they open with it again?  I'm only on show 10, but a fan from the very beginning.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about rockstardown's experience.  Truly horrible.  10C needs to do better.  So mad I missed Tuesday though.  Release is my favorite!  What are the chances they open with it again?  I'm only on show 10, but a fan from the very beginning.  
    I'm predicting Long Road tonight, selfishly since it's my last night seeing them for awhile!
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 202
    cbbjr said:
    This was my 21st show, and the third of this tour. Seats were on 200 level directly behind Ed, which made for an interesting - in a good way - view. One the best aspects of it was getting to see how different people in the audience, particularly those on the rail, reacted when Ed, Mike, or anyone else would interact with them. It definitely added something different to this show from having seats facing the front of the band.

When we got to our seats we started chatting with the family next to us, who was from Virginia and brought their daughter who turned nine the day of the show. It was her first concert. They had a big sign for her and since we were on the second row on the 200 level directly behind Ed, it seemed there would be a good chance the band would see it. Her parents said her favorite song is DOTC, and while it isn’t my cup of tea I certainly hoped they would play it for the birthday girl. 

Release is my favorite opener and Low Light one of my highlights on Yield, so I loved how it started. I thought the next three, Just Breathe, Retrograde, and Who Ever Said were just ok, but then things quickly changed. The entire band, and Ed in particular, were really into Corduroy. That is when I realized it would be a special night, and most of the rest of the main set (Comatose being the exception) was stellar. It is hard to pick out a few highlights because it was all so amazing, but I really enjoyed God’s Dice, Faithful, Animal, Light Years, having a great view of seeing both Matt and Josh pounding on the drums during In My Tree, and RVM.

The encore picked up right were the main set left off. Ed has been really chatty the entire tour, particularly at this how. The stories were great, and it obviously meant a lot to him to be back in Chicago around family and seeing his grandmother’s old apartment. Ed ran off stage and down the tunnel right after Throw Your Arms Around Me and didn’t make it back up on stage until just a few seconds before he had to start singing Inside Job (maybe the long intro gives him time for a bathroom break?).

Better Man typically is something I could do without, but tonight it was one of the standouts, particularly seeing the fireflies. I love that they ended with Surrender, as did a lot of fans on the rail based on how much they were jumping up and down and screaming at the top of their lungs.

Going back to one detail, when they started on DOTC, the nine year old next to us was smiling ear to ear since it is her favorite song and that is what she most wanted to see. Then later in the show when the put her with the sign on the video board, she got a huge ovation from the crowd, and I don’t think I have ever seen anyone in the world look as happy and as overcome with emotion as she was in that moment. If you told me on my way into the venue the highlight would be a nine year old sitting near me I would have said you were crazy, but that ended up being the case.

I won’t be able to make it to any other shows this tour, but it has been an unbelievable week seeing them three times and I cannot wait until the next tour.
    love this post and what a cool story and great moment for that girl!
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    Tuesday afternoon at 4pm I went on a secondary market ticket website and purchased tickets for $45 each.
    The seats were side stage, but a section towards the back. Thats how I will describe them. When we got to our seats security
    said there was an issue. There was a camera in our section, and I had to go to guest relations for different tickets. Ok, no problem. 
    5 minutes later I was sitting in the handicapped section, on Mikes side, row 1. PERFECT!!!

So the best rock concert I have ever been to cost me $45 for some kick ass seats. 

Let's just say I am happy how that worked out.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,834
    There are no coincidences. That there is divine intervention. Pretty sure you deserve it. Congrats!!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,988
    edited September 2023
    Tuesday afternoon at 4pm I went on a secondary market ticket website and purchased tickets for $45 each.
    The seats were side stage, but a section towards the back. Thats how I will describe them. When we got to our seats security
    said there was an issue. There was a camera in our section, and I had to go to guest relations for different tickets. Ok, no problem. 
    5 minutes later I was sitting in the handicapped section, on Mikes side, row 1. PERFECT!!!

So the best rock concert I have ever been to cost me $45 for some kick ass seats. 

Awesome. Well done. Good to hear
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,799
    Tuesday afternoon at 4pm I went on a lsecondary market ticket website and purchased tickets for $45 each.

That’s awesome!
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,261
    Finally getting around to doing my fanviews after a whirlwind of a week. Show number 30 for me and it did not disappoint! We ended up upgrading our seats from the 200 level to side stage, 7th row, mike’s side shortly before doors opened, so we had a great view of mike shredding all night. Loved the release opener, and also though that retrograde was a good transition from the seated to the standing portion. For me, the best song of the night was in my tree. I thought the addition of Josh on the drums made the song sound better than ever. It was also great to finally get to hear gods’ dice and faithful after 30 shows for the first time. Other highlights for me were light years, throw your arms around me, and inside job. Great show!
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    edited September 2023
    Show #43 for me and I thought it was great I’d probably rank it somewhere between top 8-12 of the best I’ve seen.   Setlist was very different/strategic and it’s interesting to me how much people on here seem to like them more so far this tour then last tour.  I was thrilled we got back over 2.5 hours with this show too.  

Loves getting Light Years and Animal  could have done without retrograde again but loving how they are forming the first 5.  Encores starting to get back to unpredictable never through SURRENDER Was gonna be the last song so that was cool and throw your arms around me always a sweet treat.  Was happy that wishlist was the song to the back and happy to get inside job and more avocado in gengwral innchicago 

Mike is really on fire every show now it seems too his energy has been phenomenal coming out of Covid 

Ed is in such a great mood these days and it’s making for fun shows no matter the city was cool to see him in Chicago for first time all my other shows are Boston NY Philly for most part. Thought the Chicago crowd was solid but a little inconsistent… it is NOT up to MSG crowd level no way 

but a great show worth the trip  love that 43 in I walk in that room still not having a clue of what is gonna happen but knowing it’s gonna be fucking Heaven l!  Thanks Pearl Jam 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Great show, brought home Covid as a souvenir.  
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    Hi everyone! to me was my 2nd pearl jam show. First concert was in my country Colombia in 2015 (really amazing show, recomended so far). In this show I was with my lovely wife, her favorite song is "Just Breathe", not only favorite from PJ, is her favorite song ever; to us was a dream comes true, Eddie playing Just Breathe. During Light Years, I cried a lot, so this song means a lot for me. pd: Sorry for my grammar, 
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    Kevinman said:
    Yep, likewise. Apparently MFC did as well. 
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    I apologize to all in the men's room during Whoever Said, for singing along.  One patron was clearly annoyed and told me to shut up.  My deepest apologies (although I can't guarantee it won't happen again).
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904
    Kevinman said:
    I brought Covid home from Texas. Hope you are feeling better. Mine seems to be really mild.

• Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    GlowGirl said:
    Kevinman said:
    I brought Covid home from Texas. Hope you are feeling better. Mine seems to be really mild.

I’m better now, thanks.  First 2 days were rough but then just like a cold.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904
    Kevinman said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Kevinman said:

I’m better now, thanks.  First 2 days were rough but then just like a cold.
    Great. I am also mostly over it. Today was day 5 so I am free to go back into the world again. Mine felt like a cold the entire time. Not really any rough days. Just one rough-ish night of sweats that kept me up. Just a bit of tiredness remains. 
  • Options
    Ive been to some amazing shows

Alpine 03
    Grand Rapids 06
    Both Alpine 98 shows
    The Regal Theater in 94

And I will tell you, Chicago I was one of, if not THE, greatest rock concert I have ever been to. 
    Even though I would say, on paper, Chicago II had a better setlist (personal preference). 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Looking forward to this boot coming out tonight 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Wilco87 said:

As for the Sandy, I lost track, was she a EVs mother's sister or his grandmother's sister? Not minimizing his loss, just curious. Earlier I noticed he changed the lyric in Release from "dear Dad" to "dear Mom". Perhaps the family Celebration had an impact on that.

Anyway for Pearl Jam show Number Ten for me, it was great. Well worth the trip.

From my earlier post, listening to the PJ Radio debut of the show, Sandy was sister of Eddie's mother, so Aunt (who was also "great" and a Great Aunt).

RIP Sandy.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,942
    edited September 2023
    Listening to the boot right now 🔥

still have two bootleg codes to use so might go with Chicago II and one other. 

Edit:
    wow, Retrograde blew it out of the water, that ending! 
    love the drumming at the start of God’s Dice!
    RVM dedication ❤️ 
    Throw Your Arms Around Me ❤️
    A powerful rendition of Inside Job 💪

This band have never sounded better! 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    DopelessRmanticDopelessRmantic Little Rock, AR Posts: 3
    Timed Night and 2 with a work trip so didn’t have to pay for travel or hotel! I upgraded my ticket at will call to third row from the stage. As I’m waiting at the door to go in a GA popped up on TM which I snagged. I gave the other ticket to a gentleman that came all the way from Colombia for the show! It took me awhile to get into this one for some reason. I think I was tired from the long work day and doing an online fantasy football draft as the show was opening.The highlight for me was Release as the opener and meeting other Ten Club members in GA. I also caught a pick from Mike so that’s always cool.
    2003 OKC
    2014 Tulsa
    2021 Ohana Festival
    2022 Nashville
    2022 Bourbon and Beyond Festival
    2022 St. Louis
    2023 Chicago N1
    2023 Chicago N2