Options

The worst album you physically own

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not sure, used to have Creed and a Kid Rock cd but i think i tossed them in the trash where they belong. I would probably have to go through my cd collection in a storage box in the closet to find my worst album i own.
    Devil without a cause is a masterpiece.  Anything else I wouldn't know, lol.

That's the one i had/have. At the time yeah I played the shit out of it, but now. not at all cause it's Kid Rock :lol:
    I get that.  God Knows Why, Cowboy and that duet w Em I really like still.  Anything w Joe C I enjoyed too because he's got more game than Coleco.
  • Options
    I have a Killers album I received as a gift that I just can’t listen to. V was not great OP, I was working at a record store when that came out. Even their label rep warned me it was bad and not to play it in the store! Those first 3 records were as good as they come though. 
    Vitalogy not good?  Crazy talk.  They still play 9/10 tracks live.  I'd love to hear Whipping more often actually.

It was harder overall which is why I guess people didn't like it as much but loved Not for u, Nothing and Better?
    Not sure what you mean? I wasn’t talking about Vitalogy. Adore that record. I was talking about LIVE and their first 3 records Mental Jewelry, Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi. 
    Yeah my bad.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    BF25394 said:

I shouldn't put too much emotional investment into the Grammys was the day Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill beat Vitalogy for Album of the Year. I think I broke a lamp in my dorm room when that was announced.
    Jagged Little Pill is better though. 
    I think Tempo meant to quote this post ^^^
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    BF25394 said:
    I have a Killers album I received as a gift that I just can’t listen to. V was not great OP, I was working at a record store when that came out. Even their label rep warned me it was bad and not to play it in the store! Those first 3 records were as good as they come though. 
    Vitalogy not good?  Crazy talk.  They still play 9/10 tracks live.  I'd love to hear Whipping more often actually.

It was harder overall which is why I guess people didn't like it as much but loved Not for u, Nothing and Better?
    He's not referencing Vitalogy! He's referencing V, the Live album that I mentioned in the original post as the worst thing I own.
    Hahahahaha!  Ahhhh.... Whoops.  I didn't even know that Live had a fifth album...
    I wish I didn't know that Live had a fifth album although, if that were the case, this thread wouldn't exist.

Believe it or not, they have sixth, seventh and eighth albums. I have not heard them, but the eighth album has a different lead singer. Then Ed Kowalczyk came back and fired the rest of the original members, and he now tours as Live with three strangers.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Yeah, that was wile. they toured with the guy who looks like the Washkowski Bros (Matrix movies) from Unified Theory (basically blind melon with new singer), then they agreed to have Ed come back, then he fired them all. Ed is such a narcissistic ass. 

all Ed's solo stuff is super religious now. hate it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Yeah, that was wile. they toured with the guy who looks like the Washkowski Bros (Matrix movies) from Unified Theory (basically blind melon with new singer), then they agreed to have Ed come back, then he fired them all. Ed is such a narcissistic ass. 

I mean, there's been religious tones throughout. Especially Throwing Copper. Mental Jewelry and Secret Samadhi. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I saw Blind Melon with Travis, the new singer, at the El Rey in L.A. several years back and I couldn't believe how much he sounded like Shannon on the Shannon songs. When I closed my eyes, it could have been Shannon. The one Blind Melon album with Travis on vocals (For My Friends) is pretty good.

(For the record, Blind Melon's debut album is one of absolute all-time favorite albums, maybe top three. I love Soup, too.) 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

I saw Blind Melon with Travis, the new singer, at the El Rey in L.A. several years back and I couldn't believe how much he sounded like Shannon on the Shannon songs. When I closed my eyes, it could have been Shannon. The one Blind Melon album with Travis on vocals (For My Friends) is pretty good.

(For the record, Blind Melon's debut album is one of absolute all-time favorite albums, maybe top three. I love Soup, too.) 
    I went to see them in 2008 with Travis, and I did exactly that: I closed my eyes and it felt like I was seeing them in 1992. Love For My Friends. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I mean, there's been religious tones throughout. Especially Throwing Copper. Mental Jewelry and Secret Samadhi. 
    definitely, but he took it to another level after that. I wasn't into it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I'll say this for Ed K. He was really good at, um, "selling the drama." He could sing the most nonsensical lyrics with such passion and conviction. There's a song on their fourth album with the refrain "'Cause that's where fishes go when fishes get the sense to flee," and he growls that line and, especially, hits that "flee" like his life depends on it.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

I went to see them in 2008 with Travis, and I did exactly that: I closed my eyes and it felt like I was seeing them in 1992. Love For My Friends. 
    I guess it was 2008 when I saw them, too. I can't believe it has been fifteen years.

I had an email exchange with Rogers Stevens probably ten years ago. He went back to school after For My Friends to get his law degree and was working for a firm in Philadelphia. I saw a story about it in a lawyers' magazine, looked him up and dropped him a line. He was very nice.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

I guess it was 2008 when I saw them, too. I can't believe it has been fifteen years.

I had an email exchange with Rogers Stevens probably ten years ago. He went back to school after For My Friends to get his law degree and was working for a firm in Philadelphia. I saw a story about it in a lawyers' magazine, looked him up and dropped him a line. He was very nice.
    That's really cool! I saw them twice in '08 with Travis too. Really enjoyed those shows! 

Nell Hoon, (Shannon's mom) was at one of them, meeting people and signing stuff. She was a total sweetheart and very supportive of the band. It was as if they were just a big family. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067

After reading the Rolling Stone stories I did a complete 180. Ed seems to be in an impossible situation. The other guys seem like a handful.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Oof. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    Off the top of my head, the worst album I own would probably be the 4 Non-Blondes album. I only picked it up because they were the opening band at Neil Young's Finsbury Park show in 93 and I'd only heard the 'What's Up' single. It's pretty much unlistenable.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

After reading the Rolling Stone stories I did a complete 180. Ed seems to be in an impossible situation. The other guys seem like a handful.
    I actually read that RS article in the bookstore a few months ago. I was like, "Why is Live being mentioned on the cover of Rolling Stone in 2023?!," started reading and couldn't put it down.

And, yeah, on religion, the first Live album that I do not own (because was such an atrocity) is called Birds of Pray. That pun alone is a crime against humanity.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

seriously? if I ever heard of a guy having LSD, it was Ed K. Which rolling stone articles? I'd love some insight. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Oof. 
    what?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:

seriously? if I ever heard of a guy having LSD, it was Ed K. Which rolling stone articles? I'd love some insight. 
    I think there might be a follow up to this, too, but start here

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/live-alt-rock-band-crime-lawsuits-1234677011/
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/live-alt-rock-band-crime-lawsuits-1234677011/
    it's paywalled, but just the beginning of the article jogged my memory. I do recall that debacle now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

That article was something else... the rest of the band seemed like a hot mess. 

I feel bad for Chris Shinn after reading another piece about how they ditched him. I liked Unified Theory at the time (still love the song Wither) and although for a while I dismissed him as a trust fund baby, the guys in Live did him dirty (IIRC). 
  • Options
    he seemed to kind of just roll with it, though, like a champ. very zen like dude
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

it's paywalled, but just the beginning of the article jogged my memory. I do recall that debacle now. 
    Try pasting the link into an incognito browser tab. Usually works for me with RS links.
  • Options
    The project that prompted me to start this thread (see original post) has finally, after 379 days, reached Pearl Jam. I figure I'll be on Pearl Jam for the next four to six months.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    edited January 15
    I don't recall seeing this thread before.  Worst?  What are we talking about here?  Most scratched up?  Poorest audio quality?  Most awful job of mixing?  Armed robbery?  Graft or extortion?  Worst how?

And worst related to what? From who's perspective? Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, for example:  I've read many comments over the years that range from (seriously, no exaggeration here), "That is the most gawd awful piece of crap any man or woman or group of people have ever recorded," to, "Every time I listen to MMM, I feel like I'm having an ecstatic religious experience."

P.S.  Honestly, I'm not trolling, bating, or thread crapping here.  The above are sincere questions.  It's just that I really do wonder about these kinds of things and how people come to certain conclusions.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I think it's fairly obvious from the original post that I'm talking about one's subjective opinion about the quality of the music, not what other people think about the quality of the music, or the physical condition of the CD. With respect to the Live album that prompted the post, I think the music sucks. It doesn't just suck relative to their four preceding albums that I really enjoyed; it just straight-up sucks. I couldn't bear to listen to it more than a couple of times, which is very unusual for me. When an artist has a good track record, their subsequent releases will usually get a lot of rope before I decide they are misfires.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I don't recall seeing this thread before.  Worst?  What are we talking about here?  Most scratched up?  Poorest audio quality?  Most awful job of mixing?  Armed robbery?  Graft or extortion?  Worst how?

And worst related to what? From who's perspective? Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, for example:  I've read many comments over the years that range from (seriously, no exaggeration here), "That is the most gawd awful piece of crap any man or woman or group of people have ever recorded," to, "Every time I listen to MMM, I feel like I'm having an ecstatic religious experience."

P.S.  Honestly, I'm not trolling, bating, or thread crapping here.  The above are sincere questions.  It's just that I really do wonder about these kinds of things and how people come to certain conclusions.
    you commented on the first page, brian. haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Queen - Hot Space

It’s in the box set… Good band… horrible album. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

you commented on the first page, brian. haha

So I did, lol.
    My memory isn't so good these days.  Why I don't post much any more these days.  It's all downhill from here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    I think it's fairly obvious from the original post that I'm talking about one's subjective opinion about the quality of the music, not what other people think about the quality of the music, or the physical condition of the CD. With respect to the Live album that prompted the post, I think the music sucks. It doesn't just suck relative to their four preceding albums that I really enjoyed; it just straight-up sucks. I couldn't bear to listen to it more than a couple of times, which is very unusual for me. When an artist has a good track record, their subsequent releases will usually get a lot of rope before I decide they are misfires.

Yeah, sorry I should have gone back to the first page.  My f'ed up old brain.  :frowning: