Options

The worst album you physically own

I've been doing a deep and methodical dive into my expansive music collection since the beginning of the year, basically proceeding in alphabetical order by artist and actively listening to everything. I just reached the letter M yesterday, which means that I recently spent a few days revisiting the oeuvre of the band Live. There was a time when I really loved Live, and might have ranked them as high as my fourth-favorite artist at one point (behind the Holy Trinity of Pearl Jam, Wilco and Radiohead). But when they released their fifth album, appropriately titled V, I found it close to unlistenable. I usually give new material by artists whom I've generally enjoyed a lot of room to grow on me, but I think I might have listened to this album twice before putting it aside, never revisiting it until last week. Upon revisiting it, it still really sucks. With the caveat that I still have two-thirds of my collection to go through-- it's a little skewed alphabetically because of the hundreds of Pearl Jam titles-- and there may be something else really awful in there that I've forgotten about, I think I can say for now that V by Live is the worst album that I actually own. I can't even think of what would come in second.

So, what is the worst album that you actually own? (Please do not say something by Pearl Jam. Unless you have given away your entire physical collection except for Pearl Jam records, it just cannot be true that you really believe that Backspacer or Gigaton is the worst thing you own if you are paying to be in the Pearl Jam fan club.)
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Comments

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Probably not a popular opinion but Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krause. I think it actually won a bunch of awards maybe even a Grammy. I got 3 to 4 songs into it and thought it was terrible and never listened to it again. I guess I should find it and give it another listen. I like Plant and am a bluegrass fan but Krause's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,292
    GB281198 said:
    Probably not a popular opinion but Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krause. I think it actually won a bunch of awards maybe even a Grammy. I got 3 to 4 songs into it and thought it was terrible and never listened to it again. I guess I should find it and give it another listen. I like Plant and am a bluegrass fan but Krause's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
    Not just a Grammy, but the Grammy for Album of the Year. Speaking of Album-of-the-Year winners with vocals that are really grating, I think the day I realized that I shouldn't put too much emotional investment into the Grammys was the day Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill beat Vitalogy for Album of the Year. I think I broke a lamp in my dorm room when that was announced.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I have a Killers album I received as a gift that I just can’t listen to. V was not great OP, I was working at a record store when that came out. Even their label rep warned me it was bad and not to play it in the store! Those first 3 records were as good as they come though. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,656
    I’m going to have to look through my records and CDs this week to see what it is. Will post later this week. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    I don't believe in the concept of "bad music", so it would be impossible for me to list a "worst album".  But I could possibly list the least favorite that I own. 
    Hmmm... let me think...
    Oh yeah, that one.  Only I can say what it is.  It's a record a friend gave me that I keep because she gave it to me and sometimes you just gotta keep something like that for the memory.  Yeah, for sure, that one.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659

• Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

I shouldn't put too much emotional investment into the Grammys was the day Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill beat Vitalogy for Album of the Year. I think I broke a lamp in my dorm room when that was announced.
    Jagged Little Pill is better though. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    New Radicals-Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too.

I LOVE You Get What You Give. Love it. So I tried to ignore the horrendous NZD to USD exchange rate at the time and dropped 20USD in the hope of more gems.

The fucking CD isn't worth being a coaster. Doesn't deserve the quality of beer that would come into contact with it.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    I have a Killers album I received as a gift that I just can’t listen to. V was not great OP, I was working at a record store when that came out. Even their label rep warned me it was bad and not to play it in the store! Those first 3 records were as good as they come though. 
    Vitalogy not good?  Crazy talk.  They still play 9/10 tracks live.  I'd love to hear Whipping more often actually.

It was harder overall which is why I guess people didn't like it as much but loved Not for u, Nothing and Better?
  • Options
    Danzig sings Elvis.

It's so bad it's worse, lol.  I love Danzig but this was really bad karaoke.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    Not sure, used to have Creed and a Kid Rock cd but i think i tossed them in the trash where they belong. I would probably have to go through my cd collection in a storage box in the closet to find my worst album i own.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Not sure, used to have Creed and a Kid Rock cd but i think i tossed them in the trash where they belong. I would probably have to go through my cd collection in a storage box in the closet to find my worst album i own.
    Devil without a cause is a masterpiece.  Anything else I wouldn't know, lol.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I have so many CDs, I couldn't even figure it out. Mainly because back in the day I had multiple BMG memberships and would get anything and everything, went to used CD stores and would buy the $1 or $2 discs just because they were so cheap, etc. I know I have the album from the band that the guy who played Bobby Budnick from Salute your Shorts was in. I have a Shatner album, where he covered Common People, which I recall wasn't too bad. 
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    brianlux said:
    I don't believe in the concept of "bad music", so it would be impossible for me to list a "worst album".  But I could possibly list the least favorite that I own. 
    Hmmm... let me think...
    Oh yeah, that one.  Only I can say what it is.  It's a record a friend gave me that I keep because she gave it to me and sometimes you just gotta keep something like that for the memory.  Yeah, for sure, that one.
    It's the Ted Nugent record isn't it? :)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    GB281198 said:
    brianlux said:
    Hmmm... let me think...
    It's the Ted Nugent record isn't it? :)

Actually I do have a copy of Amboy Dukes' (Nugent's first band)  LP Migration and it is quite good!  I picked it up in a thrift store some months ago, took it home and gave it a spin and liked it so much I decided to keep it.  How that guy could go from making a record that creative and distinct to the jock schlock crap he put out most of his career since is beyond me!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Vitalogy not good?  Crazy talk.  They still play 9/10 tracks live.  I'd love to hear Whipping more often actually.

It was harder overall which is why I guess people didn't like it as much but loved Not for u, Nothing and Better?
    He's not referencing Vitalogy! He's referencing V, the Live album that I mentioned in the original post as the worst thing I own.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

I shouldn't put too much emotional investment into the Grammys was the day Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill beat Vitalogy for Album of the Year. I think I broke a lamp in my dorm room when that was announced.
    You oughta know...
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    I have two Stone Sour CD's and they have the radio hit along with like 10 obnoxiously unlistenable songs to go with it. Very strange. And now someone is gonna come on here and tell me what an idiot I am.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I have two Stone Sour CD's and they have the radio hit along with like 10 obnoxiously unlistenable songs to go with it. Very strange. And now someone is gonna come on here and tell me what an idiot I am.
    This genuinely made me laugh out loud because I really like the first 2 Stone Sour records. I love how everyone has different opinions and tastes and you’re more than entitled to not like them, my wife hates them😂 For me the worst album I own would probably be Rituals by Other Lives. I bought it on spec after falling in love with Tamer Animals. I think I got through half of it before wondering why I was bothering. Their last album. For Their Love, was a belter tho.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    Devil without a cause is a masterpiece.  Anything else I wouldn't know, lol.

That's the one i had/have. At the time yeah I played the shit out of it, but now. not at all cause it's Kid Rock :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I have a Lee Greenwood album from my dad....I use it to trace circles
  • Options
    I sell the records I don’t like. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    JT167846 said:
    New Radicals-Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too.

I LOVE You Get What You Give. Love it. So I tried to ignore the horrendous NZD to USD exchange rate at the time and dropped 20USD in the hope of more gems.

The fucking CD isn't worth being a coaster. Doesn't deserve the quality of beer that would come into contact with it.
    We're fighting 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    First thing I found that fits is Black and Blu by Gary Clark Jr. Absolutely love him live and this album captures none of that. Sounds like a label fully getting their hooks into an artist even though I don't know if that's the deal. I was so excited for this record at the time and my lord what a letdown.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

You oughta know...
    Isn't it ironic?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Not sure what you mean? I wasn’t talking about Vitalogy. Adore that record. I was talking about LIVE and their first 3 records Mental Jewelry, Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    pjl44 said:
    First thing I found that fits is Black and Blu by Gary Clark Jr. Absolutely love him live and this album captures none of that. Sounds like a label fully getting their hooks into an artist even though I don't know if that's the deal. I was so excited for this record at the time and my lord what a letdown.
    Same exact thing for me. After seeing him live I was like "what the hell is this?"

rw160510 said:
    This genuinely made me laugh out loud because I really like the first 2 Stone Sour records. I love how everyone has different opinions and tastes and you’re more than entitled to not like them, my wife hates them😂 For me the worst album I own would probably be Rituals by Other Lives. I bought it on spec after falling in love with Tamer Animals. I think I got through half of it before wondering why I was bothering. Their last album. For Their Love, was a belter tho.
    Well that was a nicer way to say it. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

He's not referencing Vitalogy! He's referencing V, the Live album that I mentioned in the original post as the worst thing I own.
    Hahahahaha!  Ahhhh.... Whoops.  I didn't even know that Live had a fifth album...
  • Options
    My mother bought me a Creed CD because my aunt told her they sound like Pearl Jam, so she figured I’d like it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com