Options

psst...10/19/2023

124»

Comments

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,945
    Loujoe said:
    Nice. I may be cured. Not buying lp....yet
    I hear ya. I haven't bought any of the new colored pressings, which is very strange for me. The cost of records these days is making me very selective. Normally I'd buy at least 8 new records a month. Now, maaaaybe 1 or 2.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,126
    mace1229 said:
    Easy pass. With the original and box set, I have no desire for additional copies. Even if they are colored.
    Yeah, I finally decided when they put out the Yield red splattered that I don’t need every damn colored vinyl they release. Especially at these prices now. Why would I need a 5th copy of VS? (Have OG Vinyl, Box set, cd and og cassette)
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,182
    mace1229 said:
    Easy pass. With the original and box set, I have no desire for additional copies. Even if they are colored.
    Yeah, I finally decided when they put out the Yield red splattered that I don’t need every damn colored vinyl they release. Especially at these prices now. Why would I need a 5th copy of VS? (Have OG Vinyl, Box set, cd and og cassette)
    That said, these aren’t just new colors — they are different pressings, offering better fidelity with the way the lacquers are cut at 45rpm over two discs. If it were just new colors, I wouldn’t have ordered them. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,987
    Loujoe said:
    I hear ya. I haven't bought any of the new colored pressings, which is very strange for me. The cost of records these days is making me very selective. Normally I'd buy at least 8 new records a month. Now, maaaaybe 1 or 2.
    I caved. But rationalize it by not doing any shows or much else.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,191
    Loujoe said:
    Loujoe said:
    I caved. But rationalize it by not doing any shows or much else.
    Haha! I think you’ll enjoy it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,499
    nicky-p38 said:
    Why does the 30th anniversary shirt have tour cities on it?

Because it is the tour shirt that was available at the merch stands for all of the shows. 

I guess I don't understand why they would put tour cities on a throwback tee. I would be more inclined to buy it without the cities on it.
  • Options
    HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 503
    nicky-p38 said:
    Why does the 30th anniversary shirt have tour cities on it?

Because it is the tour shirt that was available at the merch stands for all of the shows. 

I guess I don't understand why they would put tour cities on a throwback tee. I would be more inclined to buy it without the cities on it.
    Because it’s not a throwback, it is the tour shirt

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,196
    There's an issue with order histories at the moment. Orders look correct everywhere except order history. Working on fix. Apologies.

slh

Thanks!
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,346
    JojoRice said:
    Love the Rat tour shirt.  Picked one up in St Paul. 
    It is one of the best tour shirts, got one in Austin
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    mace1229 said:
    That said, these aren’t just new colors — they are different pressings, offering better fidelity with the way the lacquers are cut at 45rpm over two discs. If it were just new colors, I wouldn’t have ordered them. 
    You can cut and press it any way you want, but if the source isn’t a higher quality analog, I don’t see it making a difference.
    And even if it is, with my standard equipment and sub-standard ears, I doubt I could tell.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    You can cut and press it any way you want, but if the source isn’t a higher quality analog, I don’t see it making a difference.
    And even if it is, with my standard equipment and sub-standard ears, I doubt I could tell.
    Yes and no, but mostly no.

Physics: More surface (4s/2LP+wider grooves)+Vibration (transducer(Stylus)/more information+more accurate electronic signal)+45rpm (Greater speed X less surface noise)=higher fidelity (less semblance/distortion)

Also, you can have an incredible master, but if the pressing stinks, the record stinks. So it's not just about the master.

P.S. -- Analog isn't always better. Indeed, every Pearl Jam album either involved a digital step or was recorded digitally. Transferring analog masters to digital is the only way to preserve not only the original master tapes for mass pressings but to maintain the quality of the recording. 

P.S. 2 -- Yes, without a decent system, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. 
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,013
    edited October 2023
    Levi is confirmed to be cutting this new 2LP version (someone at the Hoffman forums reached out to him on IG)

I’m Very optimistic for it. 
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,825
    Levi is confirmed to be cutting this new 2LP version (someone at the Hoffman forums reached out to him on IG)

I posted in another thread that yes, Levi also posted on his facebook that he cut it. He replied to one of the comments which was cool and gave a little bit about his thoughts on 45RPM. Not sure if OK to copy and paste here, but it's on FB
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,013
    I. Sure it’s fine to post here.not everyone is on FB. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Physics: More surface (4s/2LP+wider grooves)+Vibration (transducer(Stylus)/more information+more accurate electronic signal)+45rpm (Greater speed X less surface noise)=higher fidelity (less semblance/distortion)

Also, you can have an incredible master, but if the pressing stinks, the record stinks. So it's not just about the master.

P.S. -- Analog isn't always better. Indeed, every Pearl Jam album either involved a digital step or was recorded digitally. Transferring analog masters to digital is the only way to preserve not only the original master tapes for mass pressings but to maintain the quality of the recording. 

P.S. 2 -- Yes, without a decent system, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. 
    Re-PS1: What I meant is aren't many of the new releases on vinyl (not necessarily PJ, but just what you find in the store) rumored and/or confirmed to be just CD recordings pressed to vinyl.
    Unless specific information is given that makes me believe the sources is as good or better than the original, I assume its worse.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Re-PS1: What I meant is aren't many of the new releases on vinyl (not necessarily PJ, but just what you find in the store) rumored and/or confirmed to be just CD recordings pressed to vinyl.
    Unless specific information is given that makes me believe the sources is as good or better than the original, I assume its worse.
    The mastering for vinyl is different than CD. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,987

I thought he made jeans.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,196

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Amazing.

I just gave the Dreamcicle pressing a spin. It sounded phenomenal on my system, right up there with the OG pressing, if not a little more dynamic in spots.

(Played on a Thorens VN-150 with a Rega RB880 tonearm and Nagaoka MP300 cartridge, through a McIntoch MA252 integrated amp (tube pre) and Klipsch Heresey III speakers)

Post edited by bicyclejoe on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,065
    My Dreamsicle copy was delivered to NYC today. I am out of town but my neighbor who has a key to my apartment brought it in for me. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Why 45rpm pressings excel, by one of the great vinyl master masters:

Why 45 rpm? by Kevin Gray, AcousTech Mastering

"After 60 years the good ol’ analog LP is still one of the highest resolution sources of music distribution available. It has a solid, palpable, satisfying sound that no digital format has yet equaled, let alone surpassed. The most unfortunate thing about the LP is that it was really starting to flourish back in the mid 80s, just as the record companies tried to kill it.

Advances in cutterheads (the device that etches the groove in the master lacquer disk) and cutting electronics reached a pinnacle in the early 80s. Digital computers arrived on the scene in their best role: Out of the audio chain, but doing machine-control to adjust the groove spacing on the record for maximum playing time and recorded volume. 180 gram virgin vinyl pressings were the next development, and last but not least, around the late 70s, 45 rpm 12” LPs started to appear.

Why 45, you ask? Because it sounds better! In record mastering, the higher the recorded level and frequency, the greater the groove curvature. Curvature isn’t usually a problem, per se, on the outside of a 12” 33 1/3 record, but as the groove moves toward the center, its relative speed slows down and curvature increases. Yes, it is still turning at 33 1/3 revolutions per minute, but consider: one revolution takes 1.8 seconds. That 1.8 seconds at a 12” diameter is covering a lot more territory than at the minimum 4.75” diameter. The result is actually a loss in high frequencies, and increase in distortion as the groove moves to the center. The problems start when the curvature of the groove equals or exceeds the diameter of the playback stylus. What can be done about it? Many things have been tried, but there is no “magic bullet”. Keep the recorded volume to a reasonable level (read: On scale on the meters) is the first thing. Play the record back with an elliptical or line-contact stylus that has a smaller tip radius. And, if possible, make the record short enough to keep the music away from the very end of the disk. This isn’t always possible, of course.

BUT, if we spin the disk at 45rpm we now have a 35% increase in groove velocity at any point on the disk. This is a huge advantage! Yes, the groove still slows down as it moves inward, but the effects are greatly reduced. The only problem is that the amount of recorded time is now also reduced by 35%. What do you do about that? (Hint: split up the LP into 4 sides on 2 records.) Now you’re cookin’ doc! Yep, twice the mastering cost, plating cost, pressing cost, label and jacket costs. It’s enough to make the bean-counters break down and cry. But the sound! Oooooh, yeah! This isn’t sales hype, it’s physics. Listen for yourself. You tell me if it’s worth it. A lot of music lovers think so…and they are right!"