Options

Ed drinking wine out of a shoe.

G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
edited August 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Ok folks...I'm looking to confirm a memory I have from about 11 years ago. I was a young man who had gone through a difficult move from California to Chicago at the beginning of High School. I mention this because it was a difficult time in my life that I don't remember 100% clearly. OK...here goes.

So I flew out from Chi back to Cally to catch some Jam on the Yield tour. I went with my buddies to a show at Arco Arena in Sacramento on a HOT sunny summer day.
It was back when it was super intense and scary somewhat hectic in the pit. You remember those times before we were all adults and we enjoyed sweating on each other and hitting each with our gangly recuperative teenage bodies.

X was the opener. I have a memory of a shoe being thrown up on stage at some point in the chaos that was most of the set. Ed picked up the shoe...filled it with wine from his ever present bottle of red, cheersed the audience and drank it up.

Does anyone on here remember that? Ever hear about that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    Yes, I remember hearing that. I had a ticket to that show. I didn't end up going. It was so damn hot, I was sick. I heard the stories of how rough the crowd was that tour. I was a little freaked out about it, being short and female, and having been trapped in the pit once before. REALLY sorry I missed it now.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t1998p2.shtml
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    So...I did a little research. I found this VERY indepth review of the show i am talking about. She covers the show with lots of detail. Check it out here

http://fivehorizons.com/tour/98/west_leg/sacramento.shtml

She doesn't mention Ed drinking from a shoe but she does talk about all of the shoes and shit that was thrown on stage that night. I do remember now how ed was pissed off that night and it doesn't seem that if he was pissed a the audience that he would drink out of thier foot fungi...but I swear he did it.

"shoes for my friends: i can't remember the last time i saw so much crap thrown onstage at a pj show, it was like watching the indio vid, only worse, because i was there. from our viewpoint, we could see the growing stockpile of shoes near the drum riser, and watched the roadies scurry out after every song to clear 'em up. it got so bad that during "wishlist," i mean, it wasn't bad enough that poor ed forgot the first verse more or less, but some dickhead winged their shirt onstage; it hit eddie's mic stand and knocked it over while he was back playing to matt, and stone and jeff rushed over and jeff picked the mic up so ed could finish singing the song.

(and don't give me this crap that "stuff always gets thrown onstage during pj shows". do you know what you missed because you were throwing crap? BABA O'RILEY. it was on the setlist, and it got pulled because eddie was pissed; one of the shoes hit jeff's stand-up bass during "daughter", which is what did it. thank the goddess there are only three more GA shows left at this point, only one on the east leg of the tour. maybe next time PJ will finally get it that their audience cannot handle the responsibility of a general admission show. sorry, guys.)" -Caryn Rose
  • Options
    Yes, I remember hearing that. I had a ticket to that show. I didn't end up going. It was so damn hot, I was sick. I heard the stories of how rough the crowd was that tour. I was a little freaked out about it, being short and female, and having been trapped in the pit once before. REALLY sorry I missed it now.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t1998p2.shtml

You are talking about the 95 tour. The show you are reffering to is coincidentally enough the day before my first PJ show ever which was the Golden Gate Park show...which we all know is where ed got sick. So that Sac show was the last one before they cancelled all those other shows. That was CRAZY. The make up show in SJ was SOOOOOO SICK.
  • Options
    yes it was from Sacramento 1998, i have the show on mpeg.

cant understand fully what ed says but he toasts to X who opened by pouring the wine into the shoe and drinkin it and then throwin it back into the crowd, to which the band breaks into an awesome version of Habit.

ed was pretty pissed at the crowd yes for their lack of response to X.
  • Options
    yes it was from Sacramento 1998, i have the show on mpeg.

cant understand fully what ed says but he toasts to X who opened by pouring the wine into the shoe and drinkin it and then throwin it back into the crowd, to which the band breaks into an awesome version of Habit.

ed was pretty pissed at the crowd yes for their lack of response to X.

awesome. thanks for confirming that.