Options

Crowd estimate?

kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Anyone guess how many were there last night for the show??

(I don't know the answer, just curious if anyone knows or can guess well!)

Cheers!
"Seek my part, devote myself.
My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
-Pam Beesly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,536
    2.3 million.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    30 -40,000 imo
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    30 -40,000 imo

are you serious? there were 180,000. 40,000??? thats nothing. the field was at least 200yds long shoulder to shoulder
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I counted 82,145
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    I counted 82,145
    did you count anybody twice?
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    are you serious? there were 180,000. 40,000??? thats nothing. the field was at least 200yds long shoulder to shoulder

im not good measuring ,,, if it is that high than HOLY SHIT LOL

i wanna know
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    I asked how many people would be there on the Lolla message board before the show happened, and this is the response I got from the mod over there...

"Hey-

We do not publish this number but if I had to guess the number of peeps a day is around 65,000. Hope this helps.

Nick"
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,858
    fourteen people total.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    close to 200,000 - largest lolla crowd ever for a headliner. according to this morning's papers
    East Troy Icebowl: October 2000
    Council Bluffs, IA: June 2003
    Las Vegas, NV: July 2006
    Lollapalooza, Chicago: August 2007
  • Options
    hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    lots of people.

I've been looking for a good audience shot but I can't find one. The closest I have seen is this one (thanks to releaselauren) http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/laurenlb803/lollacrowd.jpg

That photo is a tiny sliver of the amount of people... that's just Stone's side. Mike's half (they had an aisle down the middle) is just as big and the crowd was solid far beyond what her pic shows.
  • Options
    hsewif wrote:
    lots of people.

I've been looking for a good audience shot but I can't find one. The closest I have seen is this one (thanks to releaselauren) http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/laurenlb803/lollacrowd.jpg

That photo is a tiny sliver of the amount of people... that's just Stone's side. Mike's half (they had an aisle down the middle) is just as big and the crowd was solid far beyond what her pic shows.

thats a small part no doubt
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I have NO idea! There was a lot. Me and my daughter were I guess, halfway back (near this brown planet-like thing attached to a speaker tower), and we moved up after the first encore, as some people left. Then when the show was over, we kind of stayed there till we *thought* it had thinned out a bit. Then we stopped again at the stairs past the myspace stage, and turned and watched, and the field looked just as full. My daughter took a picture. It was the biggest group of people I've ever been in anywhere. And people were really nice. We did not have even one negative encounter.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I have NO idea! There was a lot. Me and my daughter were I guess, halfway back (near this brown planet-like thing attached to a speaker tower), and we moved up after the first encore, as some people left. Then when the show was over, we kind of stayed there till we *thought* it had thinned out a bit. Then we stopped again at the stairs past the myspace stage, and turned and watched, and the field looked just as full. My daughter took a picture. It was the biggest group of people I've ever been in anywhere. And people were really nice. We did not have even one negative encounter.

YEA I HAD ZERO PROBLEMS ALSO ,, of course i wasnt in that close uo mayhem
  • Options
    it was pretty damn rediculus... i heard about 160 k. i watched kings of leon and had to suffer through my morning jacket to get about 20 back. well worth it.
    "Nobody is ever promised tomorrow. Increase the peace."
    ~Juan Azize
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    We did not have even one negative encounter.

Great to read!

Overall, the day was surreal in a positive way. The worst thing I saw involved a PJ fan.

There was a guy standing in front of me and a little to the right. Whenever someone would crowd surf past us, he would try to grab them and slam them down on the ground.

He was successful twice, out of 6 or 7 people total. The first time it happened, I thought I was hallucinating. WHen it happened the 2nd time during Alive, it was bad. He grabbed a guy and threw him down on his neck/upper back area.

Very uncool. We thought about saying something but we were afraid of the guy by that point. The others made it down to security without incident. They probably accidentally kicked a few people on the way down but it was fun for others to watch.

There was a woman (around 40 years old) that made it all the way down and it was kind of cool to see her flopping around overhead with a big smile on her face. :)
  • Options
    whome13whome13 Posts: 72
    What was this person wearing? Might have been me.
  • Options
    whome13 wrote:
    What was this person wearing? Might have been me.

who are you? the 40 year old surfer or the slammer?
  • Options
    Well I'm not 40 and I dislike crowd surfers..
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    The Red Eye this morning says there was about 200,000 people. Biggest Lollapalooza turnout yet in Chicago.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    whome13 wrote:
    Well I'm not 40 and I dislike crowd surfers..

I'd hate to think that there was more than one of you in the crowd.

why don't you tell me what you were wearing and we'll see. I hate calling you out if it was you... but if it was, I really hope that someone you loved was hurt in a crowd surfing incident or something like that.

You could have killed or severely wounded someone. I threw up in my mouth a little when the 2nd guy came through. Thank god (or another likeness) that he was severely impaired and bounced off the pavement like a super-ball.
  • Options
    It probably wasn't me but I was wearing a green Pearl Jam shirt and white hat until it got knocked off and lost forever by a crowd surfer. My friend later got kicked in the back of the head and a nearby girl was crying because some huge guy landed on her.
  • Options
    whome13 wrote:
    It probably wasn't me but I was wearing a green Pearl Jam shirt and white hat until it got knocked off and lost forever by a crowd surfer. My friend later got kicked in the back of the head and a nearby girl was crying because some huge guy landed on her.

It wasn't you and sorry about your hat. Hopefully, it went to a good home and not a garbage dump. :)
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    close to 200,000 - largest lolla crowd ever for a headliner. according to this morning's papers

These 6 figure estimates sound way off to me. I wonder if that might be the attendance for the entire 3 days, where 1 person going all 3 days would be counted 3 times.

Bonnaroo only had about 70,000 each of the past 3 years and it's a much bigger (and bona fide) festival. The main stage area at Roo also seemed bigger than the AT&T stage.

RiotAct10 wrote:
    I asked how many people would be there on the Lolla message board before the show happened, and this is the response I got from the mod over there...

"Hey-

We do not publish this number but if I had to guess the number of peeps a day is around 65,000. Hope this helps.

Nick"

This sounds a bit more accurate.
  • Options
    ddirt80ddirt80 Posts: 12
    There's no chance that there were 200 000 people there on Sunday.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    ddirt80 wrote:
    There's no chance that there were 200 000 people there on Sunday.

why? during July 3rd fireworks and air and water show there are close to 1 million. I say there were at least 150,000 ON SUNDAY
  • Options
    vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    All I know is that I used Google Earth to measure the field, and it was about a tenth of a mile wide (nearly two football fields) and a quarter of a mile long (about 4 and a half football fields) and there were people standing practically on top of each other reportedly covering the entire field.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Options
    bisepost wrote:
    it was pretty damn rediculus... i heard about 160 k. i watched kings of leon and had to suffer through my morning jacket to get about 20 back. well worth it.

thats pretty much exactly what i would say. looooong day, well worth it in the end...KoL were awesome but MMJ kind of sucked ass IMO
    Any new realizations would have to wait until he had more time. More time.
  • Options
    Haha whoever said 40 k you are crazy haha but i'll agree with whoever said about 180,000 to 200k
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Alot!
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    jlew24asu wrote:
    why? during July 3rd fireworks and air and water show there are close to 1 million. I say there were at least 150,000 ON SUNDAY

agreed thatd be my guess. that place was a sea of people from the front of the stage the whole way back almost to the main fountain...