Options

Scene Before the Show? Scalping?

kinetickinetic Posts: 148
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
What kind of scalping situations did you guys see at the Vic?
When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Saw one guy get dragged away about a half hour before show start. I did overhear him trying to sell tickets to someone. Good for security busting his ass! Other then that, there were VERY FEW instinces of people like myself trying to find tickets that suceeded. After doors opened there could have been about 200-250 people still sticking around hoping that they would release more and it never happened. :( It was almost comical earlier with all of us standing around at the end of the line with our signs. It kind of looked like a strike protest!!!! I actually had some hispanic guy that was walking by give me his mostly eaten box of Wheat Thins because he must have thought I was homeless because of the sign! LOL
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    Like I said in another thread a ticket offered to me was snapped up by someone else for a handful of $100s ($1k) just before show time. Definitely an invited guest not a 10 clubber though.

There was an announcement from security of a couple of people trying to sell fake writsbands at one point.
  • Options
    ok I saw 4 different scenes.

One...this dickheard was walking up and down the line offering up $100 to anyone who would buy him a poster. One guess what he wanted to do with it?? From what I saw, he didn't get any takers tho.

Second Scenerio...I saw this guy giving another guy a bunch of money. They guy who received the money said he'd be right back with the ticket. The guy who gave the money went back to his wife. I followed the guy who took the money...and he walked past the vic and broke out into a sprint when he got to the lights at Bellaire st (or was it Bellmont..chicago people can correct me) The poster scalper from the first story saw this too and told the guy who had given the money and he chased down the thief...yelled at him for a bit and managed to get his money back.

Third scenerio: This same guy who almost got fleeced for his cash started walking up the line offering up $600 to anyone willing to give him a wristband. As far as I know he didn't get any bites.

Forth scenerio...I didn't witness this, but a friend of mine had a sign looking for Vic tix. Some guy walked up to him and said he had an extra. My friend offered up $100 for the ticket. The guy said it wasn't enough and walked away. Dunno if he actually had a ticket or if he did and managed to scalp it to someone else.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Wow ACC, didn't see any of that crazy stuff myself! Of course as soon as I saw wristbands going on people I hung out at the back with my sign hoping I'd find someone waiting for a late out of town traveler. I heard of 3 people getting in that were campaigning signs, and I think 2 of those got in for face value, so that was good to see.

Did you end up getting in?
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Wow ACC, didn't see any of that crazy stuff myself! Of course as soon as I saw wristbands going on people I hung out at the back with my sign hoping I'd find someone waiting for a late out of town traveler. I heard of 3 people getting in that were campaigning signs, and I think 2 of those got in for face value, so that was good to see.

Did you end up getting in?

Yup I did. I had a ticket lined up before I left for Chicago so thankfully I didn't have to do any campaigning.
    I saw one girl that got in that way. This guy's +1 never came and wasn't answering his phone so he gave his extra to this girl for face.
    I really hope that none of the guys u saw were a guy dressed in a phillys jersey and cap cause thats the fucker who was offering $600 for a wristband.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    ok I saw 4 different scenes.

One...this dickheard was walking up and down the line offering up $100 to anyone who would buy him a poster. One guess what he wanted to do with it?? From what I saw, he didn't get any takers tho.

Second Scenerio...I saw this guy giving another guy a bunch of money. They guy who received the money said he'd be right back with the ticket. The guy who gave the money went back to his wife. I followed the guy who took the money...and he walked past the vic and broke out into a sprint when he got to the lights at Bellaire st (or was it Bellmont..chicago people can correct me) The poster scalper from the first story saw this too and told the guy who had given the money and he chased down the thief...yelled at him for a bit and managed to get his money back.

Third scenerio: This same guy who almost got fleeced for his cash started walking up the line offering up $600 to anyone willing to give him a wristband. As far as I know he didn't get any bites.

Forth scenerio...I didn't witness this, but a friend of mine had a sign looking for Vic tix. Some guy walked up to him and said he had an extra. My friend offered up $100 for the ticket. The guy said it wasn't enough and walked away. Dunno if he actually had a ticket or if he did and managed to scalp it to someone else.

Yeah i remember the $600 dude. thats about all i saw outside. I did see one of the security guards inside holding one of the fake wristbands. from what i heard from the guy next to me, someone made a fake band and tried to copy and write the lettering that was on the actual band on his fake. Guess it didn't work.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
  • Options
    I saw a Simpson looking dude with an "alien dude looking for pearl jam ticket" sign.
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    Edit: I DID see Philly's jersey guy! He didn't get in from what I recall. He asked if anyone was buying tickets and the first thing I said was "They don't want people scalping." LOL Heard of the fake wristbands too. Someone said it was darker orange and the text was too dark. Not suprised at all that this happened.
  • Options
    I heard of 3 people getting in that were campaigning signs, and I think 2 of those got in for face value, so that was good to see.
    /quote]

My brother got in for face about five minutes before show time. We're both still in shock!

Rob
  • Options
    I saw a Simpson looking dude with an "alien dude looking for pearl jam ticket" sign.
    Haha that would have been my plan of action if i was at the vic, dont take things too seriously but still make a good effort to get a ticket, some people are just crazy, $1000 for a ticket is just stupid, and whats even more stupid is giving money to a scalper before you get a ticket
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Yeah i remember the $600 dude.

I remember all of you guys on here begging for tickets....

WTF???

If you guys made 100k+ a year like some people you would have been doing a little different style of begging I bet.

The dude really, really wanted to see the show.... How can you fault him?

There a ton of days I wish that there was no 10c, the tickets would go straight to ticketmaster/scalpers and I could pay to be up front.

The fact that there aren't normally any killer seats available to most shows drives the market waaaaaaaaaaay up on the few premium seats that every become available.

I am 25, have seen PJ at least 25 times and have never been better than about 8th row back; and that was when there was the block system (I was first in the second block every show I went too). I am usually about row 25-30 these days. Not really complaining but I would love to be able to sit up front one time.... regardless of what it cost me.

And yes, I would have gladly paid $600 to go to the vic show.... you out of towners paid at least that in airfare and accomodations.... are you scalping yourselves???? ha just kidding. just a rant.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I was one of those poor souls who stood outside for 4 hours seeing if anyone had an extra, and never got in. I'm trying to move on and look forward to Lolla. :D
    But here's what I don't understand...I saw quite a few people who had tickets that looked like they came from Ticketmaster, and they got in. What was that about? I thought it was wristband only.
    For instance, after 8 PM these two chicks who were dressed to the nines with stilletto heels on were stupid enough to flash their Ticketmaster-looking tickets before some of the more aggressive "I need a ticket" people...they were surrounded by 10 people in an instant, all offering the girls $2k for their extra tickets. The girls were like, "Like, oh my God, let me call my boyfriend to see if he's still coming"...I don't think they ever ended up selling them, and at that point I turned away anyway, but it still confused me.
    But I met some really nice people who were waiting with me and never got in...really cheerful people, helped to dispel some of the depression. Hope to see you at Lolla.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i saw some woman outside of big city in a cubs jersey and hat trying to sell a ticket for 2500$
    i told her what she was doing was disgusting and proceeded to get into a argument with her...big city security came out, i told them what she was doing and they called the cops.
    dont know what happened after that as i continued my way into the bar for a pre-show beverage
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    That's awesome Jeanette! Good for you! Going to Lolla BTW, picking up a ticket tonight. Probably be at the Benefit too.