Options

"Discogs’ vibrant vinyl community is shattering"

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    I've only made a couple buys on there for random stuff but each went well. I always found it a little janky and buying high value stuff would make me nervous. With eBay I at least have confidence in the buyer protections.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    PJ_Soul said:
    A timely thread, as I just noticed yesterday or the day before that a Benny sold on discogs for $80, lol, and I thought about how bummed that dumb-dumb buyer is going to be when they realize it's a scammer. I also noticed that the scammers now have a small number of 100% positive reviews instead of mostly being listed as new sellers. Anyway, it's still safe to buy from those with longer selling histories, so I'm not personally over-concerned about it, but I am pissed that Discogs isn't doing a lot more about it. That said, Discogs will also cancel the sale if contacted, so if you realize you're being scammed just contact discogs asap and you will likely not lose any money. Even if you do, PayPal should protect you.

Good points all around.

Re. the $80 Benny, as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably not true. 

Scamming and internet blackmail in the era of COVID has really become a thing.  Some of the stories I've heard are quite sad- a little old lady selling her car to pay for "legal protection" against being sued for something she didn't do... all kinds of crazy stuff.  Sometimes it's a matter of people being too naive, sometimes is trickier than that.  It's always good to be at least a little skeptical and always be cautious.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,270
    I won't use discogs as I see the asking prices as silly.  I do ebay or person to person/record store.
    I mean, I check both ebay and discogs.   Generally it's for OOP stuff you won't find in a record store (or not easily find in a record store).  If it's widely accessible vinyl, it makes no sense to buy from there.  Buy it off amazon or your local store :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I won't use discogs as I see the asking prices as silly.  I do ebay or person to person/record store.
    I mean, I check both ebay and discogs.   Generally it's for OOP stuff you won't find in a record store (or not easily find in a record store).  If it's widely accessible vinyl, it makes no sense to buy from there.  Buy it off amazon or your local store :)
    exactly.  I find everything I need on here or ebay.  Speaking of which...

Anybody have any Slant 6 Records?

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    I’ve luckily had no issues on Discogs. Just bought the Verve A Storm in Heaven on vinyl. Arrived yesterday. No issues. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    A while back, friend of mine asked:  "Hey Brian, where do you find some the usual records you're interested in?"
    I told him, "I scour the internet for good deals."
    The friend replied, "Well that's great, somebody needs to clean up that place!"
    We both laughed, haha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    I have probably bought around 10 records on Discogs, including 2 from overseas. I didn't have any issues, but I also paid a lot of attention to the profile of the seller to see how long they had been there, how many sales they had and what their reviews were like. If they are questionable, I pass.  
  • Options
    I have probably bought around 10 records on Discogs, including 2 from overseas. I didn't have any issues, but I also paid a lot of attention to the profile of the seller to see how long they had been there, how many sales they had and what their reviews were like. If they are questionable, I pass.  
    Same. Never had a bad experience, but the recent rise of scammers is alarming. More so, now it is almost impossible for me to sell if I want to, due to limited feedback (less than 30 sales). I wouldn’t buy from me if I were someone else, when I can have peace of mind purchasing from an actually record store seller with over 1,000 sales.
  • Options
    Same. Never had a bad experience, but the recent rise of scammers is alarming. More so, now it is almost impossible for me to sell if I want to, due to limited feedback (less than 30 sales). I wouldn’t buy from me if I were someone else, when I can have peace of mind purchasing from an actually record store seller with over 1,000 sales.
    Is there a way to post pics of what you have if u wanted to sell? To show u have it?
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    edited October 2023
    Is there a way to post pics of what you have if u wanted to sell? To show u have it?
    No, you can only include a description of “pictures available upon request,” and even then, the potential buyer has to send you their email address to be able to send pictures.