Options

Audience Sing-a-long..

Comments

• Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Hinny wrote:
    After GTF, PT is the 2nd song I absolutely have to sing. The connection with the words... it's just too strong for me to keep my mouth shut.

Mind you, I pretty much never shut up during a show. Except for those times when they play Blood late in the encores and I start choking for air.

You and I have a lot in common, Hinny. GTF, PT :)

But in those two songs, I really want to hear Eddie's voice live. I don't know why.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I'm all for the audience participation. I think i like it more when Ed still sings but you can still hear the crowd singing with him and it can be so loud sometimes.

For example, the first verse of Crazy Mary in Milano last year. Listen to the bootleg, especially the part where Ed sings "wild eyed, crazy mary" and listen to the crowd singing along soooooo loud. Tell me that doesn't give you goosebumps.

I love hearing the crowd sing, it just adds to the atmosphere. Whether Ed prompts us or it happens naturally, you just know the band love it when we return the favour.

Plus, Ed needs the help sometimes :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    I love the crowd singing, and i've been a part of some loud crowds..

with that said, Present Tense is a far cry from Betterman.

Present Tense is NOT a sing along.

Not saying the crowd shouldn't sing.. but Ed shouldn't STOP singing at any time in that song and give it completely to the crowd.

Betterman, Black, Crazy Mary, Alive, Daughter, Jeremy, Not For You, Animal, Why Go.. they all work.. but leave PRESENT TENSE alone.

thanks.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I love the crowd singing, and i've been a part of some loud crowds..

with that said, Present Tense is a far cry from Betterman.

Present Tense is NOT a sing along.

Not saying the crowd shouldn't sing.. but Ed shouldn't STOP singing at any time in that song and give it completely to the crowd.

Betterman, Black, Crazy Mary, Alive, Daughter, Jeremy, Not For You, Animal, Why Go.. they all work.. but leave PRESENT TENSE alone.

thanks.
    well, if you've listened to Gorge 05..the crowd might NEED to sing on that ;)

and I don't agree btw. not always, but Present Tense can be a good song for the audience to take over.. the Astoria PT singing blew me away as much as Better Man! (and that's when I realised I really needed to try learn the lyrics after 15 years!)

...gosh we need those Euro boots! listening to the Astoria now, I find myself with the same stupid grin I had coming out of it :D
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    Ed's tendency to hand it over to the crowd doesn't mean he's lost it as a singer. As the band has evolved over the years, Ed has embraced crowd participation more and more. He's relaxed his singing style, but still carries it better than most.

Doesn't it fire you up hearing a great crowd take over? Some of the songs are so legendary amongst fans that singing along seems justified. Don't tell me when there's a sing-along you don't join in? It's a rock concert, cut loose and have some fun.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    If I wanted to just hear the band with no interference I'd turn on a DVD and not bother traveling to see them.

The interference is what it's all about. The magic that happens during the show. The people around me experiencing PJ both together and alone, and the communication with the band.
  • Options
    not needed for every song, but sing-a-longs (or let the crowd sing this part) can be AWESOME

when I want to show someone who's not a Pearl Jam what it feels like to be one, I put in the MSG DVD and show the Betterman where he lets the crowd sign the first two verses
    no matter how many times I look at that and hear it: goosebumps, chills and tears in my eyes (and I asnt eevn there)

long time ago I was at a Theraphy? gig with like 800 people and at a certain point Andy (singer) said: I'm tired of singing this song, we'll play it, you can sing it
    they kicked off with Screamager and we sang like our lives depended of it .. he liked it so much that he kept the mic pointing our way when they played Knives straight after ... those loving memories
    This land is mine, this land is free, I'll do what I want but irresponsibly

#192XXX
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Why go home?
    Why go home?
    Why go home?
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    I love it when the audience sings plus the band love it and feed off it so it makes for a better show all round :)
    Dublin - August 23rd 2006
    Wembley - June 18th 2007
    Hopefully many more to come...
  • Options
    MargoMargo Posts: 256
    The most intense moments during PJ shows are usually to do with crowd participation for me. The crowd singing No More in Nijmegen is a good example. Goosebumps!!!
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012
  • Options
    Nothingman from Milan 2000... now that's audience participation!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I like it in small doses

better man sing alongs CAN be magical
    philly 4/28/03

but thats about it
  • Options
    black in dublin last year
    faithfull in wembley this year

both still give me shivers thinking about it :)
    Dublin - August 23rd 2006
    Wembley - June 18th 2007
    Hopefully many more to come...
  • Options
    I really like the sing-a-long.
    Ed does a great job of knowing when its appropriate.
    It makes the being at a show far more intense
    And its cool to know that everyone around you is a huge fan of PJ too.

I prefer listening to bootlegs instead of studio versions most of the time for that very reason. The sing-a-longs, crowds cheering, Eds funny ramblings, etc. all make a show what it is… that’s why we want to see the band live instead of just listening to the studio versions at home by ourselves.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • Options
    jdub3001 wrote:
    I was reminded of this issue while watching clips of the Live Earth concerts and saw Lenny Kravitz trying to get the crowd to sing one of his songs, and all he got was a sea of blank stares. Which is kinda funny because I saw him a couple years ago w/ Aerosmith, and he did the same thing. Kept trying to get the crowd into the show, but no one in the crowd knew the words to the song (me included)

That´s exactly the difference between Lenny Kravitz and Pearl Jam...almost every PJ fan knows the lyrics, even outside the US...it´s all about passion :D
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:
    Do you like it when Eddie (or any other frontman/band) lets the audience sing the song?

I don't! I didn't pay for tickets to hear a choir concert...I came to hear the band.

WTF!!! I can´t believe it! you don´t like to sing in a Pearl Jam concert???
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    All time favourite singalong highlight has to be I Believe In Miracles at Buenos Aires 2 in '05. Jesus. That's just friggin unbelievable.

I think you are talking about Buenos Aires 1 version...
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    black in dublin last year
    faithfull in wembley this year

both still give me shivers thinking about it :)
    ahhh... excellent choices... add indifference in Dublin last year also.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I think you are talking about Buenos Aires 1 version...
    And you'd be correct
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    And you'd be correct

well, Ed broke up in tears in that moment...I think there was a Thread talking about that...so, we just took the mic :D
  • Options
    bgivens33bgivens33 Posts: 290
    i believe in miracles.... this one?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2dq79JHpQ

also, I think the single best throw back to the crowd that pearl jam does is baba o'reilly. I get chills every time I hear it.
  • Options
    I personally love it....Hell yea, I am here to see pj, but the crowd just takes the concert tot he next level. I believe PJ likes it too...you always see Ed, getting the crowd involved. I was at Jones Beach, this past weekend GOO GOO DOLLS/LIFEHOUSE (it was my Girlfriend who wanted to go) place wasn't even full, crowd was dead, the only time you heard the crowd was during IRIS. People left during the encore and concert ended at 10:40. What a waste....other then looking at the hot girls it was the worse concert night of my life. I am not just talking about the band but getting scalped, losing a 400 phone, getting into a fight....the list goes on

scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    WTF!!! I can´t believe it! you don´t like to sing in a Pearl Jam concert???

I DO! I just don't like it when theres TOO MUCH audience participation. A spot here and there is fine...but whole songs and such....or every other song given to the audience is unappealing to me.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    bgivens33 wrote:
    i believe in miracles.... this one?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2dq79JHpQ

No, that version is from the second night...The one where are talking about is from the first night. There´s no way to find any videos from this concert yet
  • Options
    E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    ahhh... excellent choices... add indifference in Dublin last year also.

Yeah! Indifference was beautiful in Dublin last year.. This year too, when Ed had just teld everyone that Indifference was one of his better lyrics.. And what did he do? He forgot it after one sentence, but the 15 000 other people in the crow remembered it perfectly.. Pearl jam magic:D
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Juberoo wrote:
    Do you like it when Eddie (or any other frontman/band) lets the audience sing the song?

I don't! I didn't pay for tickets to hear a choir concert...I came to hear the band.

Personally i love it but i think with the bootlegs it has become mandatory to sing at certain parts and certain songs it has become less spontanious (did i spell that right?)
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:
    I DO! I just don't like it when theres TOO MUCH audience participation. A spot here and there is fine...but whole songs and such....or every other song given to the audience is unappealing to me.

Well, I´m agree with that...TOO MUCH audience participation may turn a song into something too boring or too difficult to understand the lyrics
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    mole1985 wrote:
    Personally i love it but i think with the bootlegs it has become mandatory to sing at certain parts and certain songs it has become less spontanious (did i spell that right?)

no.

so fuck off and don't come back.... only joking ! :D

"I before E except in 'spontaneous' when it's just E"
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    einatshaul wrote:
    If I wanted to just hear the band with no interference I'd turn on a DVD and not bother traveling to see them.

The interference is what it's all about. The magic that happens during the show. The people around me experiencing PJ both together and alone, and the communication with the band.

Worded perfectly IMO.
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i love the audience participation :)

cool to get the boot and go 'sweet, i'm in there'

maybe it's 'cos i'm from a small town...
    wah