Options

Audience Sing-a-long..

JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Do you like it when Eddie (or any other frontman/band) lets the audience sing the song?

I don't! I didn't pay for tickets to hear a choir concert...I came to hear the band.
Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    hell yes!!! i paid to see pj too but if he thinks we can sing it better, why not?...:p......seriously i think it's great....it's only for a few verses and i think for the band it helps make a great connection with the crowd.....:)
  • Options
    jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    It's awesome if:

1. The audience participation portion of the show is short and sweet (as far as letting them sing anyway). Don't let the crowd sing every song, or even an entire song, by themselves.

2. The crowd knows the words. I was reminded of this issue while watching clips of the Live Earth concerts and saw Lenny Kravitz trying to get the crowd to sing one of his songs, and all he got was a sea of blank stares. Which is kinda funny because I saw him a couple years ago w/ Aerosmith, and he did the same thing. Kept trying to get the crowd into the show, but no one in the crowd knew the words to the song (me included).

Anyway, it is really cool to be at a show or hear a boot where the crowd can just take over a verse or chorus. I think it shows that the people in the crowd are actually fans of the band, and they are paying attention to the music.

And there's a bunch of rambling to answer a pretty simple yes/no question...
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    not generally.

But I don't like if Ed doesn't let us sing the first verse and chorus of Better Man ..that either means it's a crap crowd, or even worse it isn't, and for whatever reason he doesn't let us do it on our own :(

on the other hand I don't like it when anyone, Ed included, prompts the crowd to sing.
    if one can't do it spontaneously, then shouldn't do it at all (rarely needs prompting at PJ shows though as we all know ;))
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Juberoo wrote:
    Do you like it when Eddie (or any other frontman/band) lets the audience sing the song?

I don't! I didn't pay for tickets to hear a choir concert...I came to hear the band.
    Get on with you man.
    Surely you paid for a ticket not just to see a band, but to be part of an event.And a bit of audience participation is always fun.JUK
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    jamie uk wrote:
    Get on with you man.
    Surely you paid for a ticket not just to see a band, but to be part of an event.And a bit of audience participation is always fun.JUK

Yes ok..."a bit"...being the operative concept here.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:
    Yes ok..."a bit"...being the operative concept here.

It's the only way i can get into Betterman at a live show.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    It's all about crowd interaction, baby.

Loved Daughter at Newcastle last year where we did call and respond with Daughter... with us forcing Ed into doing it. And the Betterman opener in Sydney 3 when the crowd sang verse 1 and chorus to open the show.

All time favourite singalong highlight has to be I Believe In Miracles at Buenos Aires 2 in '05. Jesus. That's just friggin unbelievable.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    Hinny wrote:
    It's all about crowd interaction, baby.

Loved Daughter at Newcastle last year where we did call and respond with Daughter... with us forcing Ed into doing it. And the Betterman opener in Sydney 3 when the crowd sang verse 1 and chorus to open the show.

All time favourite singalong highlight has to be I Believe In Miracles at Buenos Aires 2 in '05. Jesus. That's just friggin unbelievable.

i will have to dig out the Buenos Aires boot and give it a listen
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    I only like it if it happens organically, if ed just stands back and lets what's already happening happen. Two examples from shows I've been to - Dublin last year, when ed started to teach the crowd It's OK, but some of them ( or "us") were a step ahead of him and he acknowledged it; and in Nijmegen, during No More, when the crowd took over a song they didn't even know, and ad libbed a "No More" chant to parts where there there's not meant to be one, and it worked spinetinglingly well. Powerful stuff.

But sometimes (particularly - though not always - during better man) it can sound kinda cheesy, in a bryan adamsy way
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I like it in tags (especially It's OK and Save It For Later) or in the bridge, but I don't like it when the crowd sings a whole verse. Can't say it'd put a dampener on the show, but I always skip the Betterman bootlegs where the crowd sing half the song.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    fowls wrote:
    I like it in tags (especially It's OK and Save It For Later) or in the bridge, but I don't like it when the crowd sings a whole verse. Can't say it'd put a dampener on the show, but I always skip the Betterman bootlegs where the crowd sing half the song.

listening to it's one thing... actually being there and involved is a whole different thing...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    jrd wrote:
    listening to it's one thing... actually being there and involved is a whole different thing...
    exactly... sometimes we're all too concerned about how the boot's gonna sound... but there'd be no boot if there wasn't a show and when you're at the show just feckin enjoy every second of it :)

cos I have to admit that sometimes when the crowd claps a slow song like long road or black or something, I think 'ah don't do that' and I just don't get that weird double clap thing that Matt makes us do for small town :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    I just don't get that weird double clap thing that Matt makes us do for small town :confused:
    Yeah, what the fuck's that all about? I was embarrassed for him at copenhagen
    sometimes when the crowd claps a slow song like long road or black or something, I think 'ah don't do that' :
    Me too. Case in point: Indifference in Dublin 06
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I only like it if it happens organically, if ed just stands back and lets what's already happening happen. Two examples from shows I've been to - Dublin last year, when ed started to teach the crowd It's OK, but some of them ( or "us") were a step ahead of him and he acknowledged it; and in Nijmegen, during No More, when the crowd took over a song they didn't even know, and ad libbed a "No More" chant to parts where there there's not meant to be one, and it worked spinetinglingly well. Powerful stuff.

But sometimes (particularly - though not always - during better man) it can sound kinda cheesy, in a bryan adamsy way
    What's wrong with Bryan Adams? ;):p

Present Tense at Wembley worked very well too.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Yeah, what the fuck's that all about? I was embarrassed for him at copenhagen
    Me too. Case in point: Indifference in Dublin 06
    oh how could I forget indifference... sounds great on the boot though :p

Yep, I've never understood the small town clap.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    jamie uk wrote:
    Get on with you man.
    couldnt agree more , id love to be part of a song ,song all by the crowd ... such a great feelin
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

We Are Also Pearl Jam
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Crowd participation gets a BIG thumbs up....My favorite show when the crowd sung along was during Long Road at night #1 at the Borgata.
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    I love singalongs and audience participation. I also usually prefer it when it is spontaneous, just something that happens.

I wouldn't like it if it happened during the whole show, cause I do want to listen to the band ;)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Present Tense at Wembley worked very well too.

Present Tense shouldn't be sung by an audience. Seriously. It's not being critical with Wembley or other shows where it happened (Irving Plaza ? ). I was part of it at Antwerp as well. I didn't like it that much. And it's my 2nd favourite PJ song.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    lazygun_99lazygun_99 Posts: 73
    What's wrong with Bryan Adams? ;):p

Music for people who don't like music!
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i think it is cool... shows how appreciative the audience really is to know the lyrics and verses...

can you imagine what if feels like to be up on a stage like that and have 15,000+ people singing YOUR song back to you? That has to be the best feeling in the world.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Crowd participation is friggen awesome. I hope Ed does it a Lolla just to see how loud we can get. Gonna be awesome.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Options
    Yep, I've never understood the small town clap.

i think the inbreeding has something to do with it...

;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I generally like it. Sometimes its not great, but there are certain moments where its awesome. Like on Release from Boston I '06, and the crowd sings "release me" I just get chills ever time.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    i think the inbreeding has something to do with it...

;)
    :D I was wondering who'd pick up on that :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :D I was wondering who'd pick up on that :p

you just set 'em upand i'll sidefoot 'em in to the back of the net... :)

back on subject: look, if you don't like a bit of crowd interaction go and get a seat at the back and tap along with your feet! or stay at home and listen to the albums. or get into classical music. ;)
    people like different bands and go and see them and know some of the words and sing along. sure you don't want to hear the audience more than the band all the time but when the band pick up on it and let you have a go for a verse/chorus it can be superb. IMHO.
    i just love listening to the Benaroya Hall version of Black when Ed let's the crowd sing... makes the hair on the back of me neck stand up... imagine what it was like being there!
    YMMV. but you're wrong :D

i will scream my lungs out...
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    jrd wrote:
    Indeed, like I said, it wouldn't be a dampener at the show.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Angus wrote:
    Present Tense shouldn't be sung by an audience. Seriously. It's not being critical with Wembley or other shows where it happened (Irving Plaza ? ). I was part of it at Antwerp as well. I didn't like it that much. And it's my 2nd favourite PJ song.
    After GTF, PT is the 2nd song I absolutely have to sing. The connection with the words... it's just too strong for me to keep my mouth shut.

Mind you, I pretty much never shut up during a show. Except for those times when they play Blood late in the encores and I start choking for air.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    At least the audience doesn't fuck up the lyrics :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.