Options

*** Hurricane Festival Fanviews here 24/6/07 ***

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
June 24, 2007 - Scheessel, Germany; Hurricane Festival

Set List: Why Go, Save You, Severed Hand, Grievance, Dissident, Interstellar Overdrive (by Pink Floyd)/Corduroy, Faithful, Green Disease, Given To Fly, Throw Your Hatred Down (by Neil Young), Jeremy, Small Town, Even Flow, Black, Rearviewmirror

Encore: World Wide Suicide, Better Man, Life Wasted, Blood, Baba O'Riley (The Who), Yellow Ledbetter

If you were there, please share your experiences here.
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Beautiful location, only went on sunday, thank god it was dry in the evening.
    The sound was LOUD, but quite good.
    Didn´t hear Mike really well where I was standing - but Stone made up for that!

Highlights for me were Faithful, Throw your hatred down and most of all Blood.

Another great night to remember.....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    It was a great show, very intense! Thanx PJ! I was standing (actually, it was more jumping than standing ;) ) left of the middle of the stage, great sight of the stage. Personally, I hoped for some more songs I haven´t heard live yet. Many of the songs they played on Sunday they also performed in Berlin last september. But I guess I´m just a little bit jealous of the non-festival audience. ;) Did anyone know why PJ didn´t want to be put on the official festival tshirts? They also brought their own cameras. Before the show started, mtv cameras were taken away, and new camera were installed by the PJ crew....Hmmm, is there a tour live dvd in progress?!?
    By the way, other bands (Incubus, Modest Mouse, Beastie Boys, Fantastischen 4, Kings of Leon,...) were also fantastic.....but not as fantastic as PJ, of course :)
  • Options
    ´Peter´Peter Posts: 5
    thought I'd use this to introduce myself, since this thread seems a little too empty for my taste ;)...

my name is Peter, 35 yrs, fan since 1992 and Duesseldorf was my first PJ show in 6 years (last saw them in 2000, Berlin & Hamburg. before that only '96 in Berlin). since the Hurricane is the best festival and closest to my location, I'm a regular there by now, but after last year I was sceptical if I'd go again, if there wouldn't be any "better" bands than '06, but it was a no-brainer when they annonced PJ would play this year.

it was a very good and quite emotional show (again!) and I was happy to hear different songs than on thursday. they were also louder than any of the other bands that day, but didn't have a too good sound. judging from where I stood, at least.
    one guy from the group I went with (all mostly non-PJ fans), was literally dying to finally see them in 15 years and especially to hear Jeremy live... so I told him they don't usually play it very often nowadays and he probably won't hear it that night ...I can be mean, y'know :D so yes, he was literally shi**ing his pants when they actually played it.

I also want to mention, since nobody did, that when Ed left the stage during Baba, he went down to the crowd to touch the hands of the people in the first row, running (sprinting, really) around he must've slipped somewhere. he was basically out of it at the end of the set, but when he tried to climb the stage again, he looked like he also hurt his ankle or something. didn't look too good, but he kept going (of course) 'til YLB.
    he also thanked the crowd (or us, the "campers") in german, for "enduring" the weekend and also said, not to forget, that even with all the electricity and cables and everything around, that kept the whole festival going, we really have the power.

and since MTV didn't show anything of their set, I'm hoping they'll have a bit of PJ in the festival-documentary (for a lack of a better word) that is shown on french/german station arté on 2nd of August.
  • Options
    BerthaBertha Posts: 11
    Hi Peter,
    thanks very much for your review! I was looking forward to some message from the Hurricane festival, since I grew up practically next door to Scheeßel. As I´d seen Pearl Jam in Munich already this year, I couldn´t afford to go there as well, but it´s still a good feeling to know the guys stopped by in my former neighbourhood.

Greetings,
    Bertha
    I am a lie that always tells the truth (Jean Cocteau)
  • Options
    -Jojo--Jojo- Posts: 1
    I also was there and for me it was the best live act ive ever seen, it was just amazing i cried afterwards cause i was so lucky :-)
    thanks a lot and i cant understand anybody who went to deichkind that evening...
  • Options
    HENKESHENKES Posts: 14
    I was at home on Saturday and couldn't stop thinking about the PJ-shows of the coming days. I was already in Munich (tenclub) and Düsseldorf and I also have tickets for Nijmegen (tenclub) and Werchter. But that wasn't enough for me. So I decided to go to the festival in Scheeßel. On Sunday 2:00pm I left my home in Enschede Holland and drove to the Hurricane festival in the northern part of Germany. I arrived there at about 5:30pm. It was quit easy to get a ticket in front of the gates (as it was not sold out).

I was right on time to catch a bit of the Editors (great band). After that I wend to the main stage where Sonic Youth started their gig. There was a possibility to get in the separated area in front of the stage. All the people that walked out of the area after a gig, where filled up again with new people. We had to queue up in a line. So I stood there for 45 minutes. Waiting at the far right side of the main stage. But it was worth it. About 60 people were allowed to go in. 15 minutes later Placebo started their gig. It was a good and solid show but it missed the emotion or the magic that is needed to get 50.000 people of their feed.

Finally it was time for PJ. It was a great show and definitely worth the trip I made a few hours before. It was obviously clear that PJ was enjoying their gig. Maybe it’s harder for a band to play on a festival with all those different people with their different musical taste. And when you succeed to get such a crowd going, it must give the band an enormous satisfaction. It was not hard to get me going. It was absolutely great. Wonderful setlist with many songs I hoped they would play. It was a little surprise for me that PJ didn’t do Alive on a festival. But we all know that the setlists of PJ can be full of surprises.

Then at the end (as Peter already mentioned) Eddie hurt himself badly by bumping into a part of the stage construction. He was right in middle of his “tambourine give away - thing”.
    I was standing right in front of the stage and could see that Eddie barely couldn’t climb on the stage because of the pain. The guitar-engineer with the beard who always throws the tambourines to Eddie, jumped off the stage in an attempt to help Eddie back on.
    Finally Eddie succeeded to reach his mic-stand and he dropped on the ground.
    In the setlist/photo section (photo nr. 6) you can see Eddie laying on the ground in front of his mic-stand. He was laying there for a little less than 1 minute when he finally stood up again. They started the last song YLB and at the end of the song, Eddie walked over to Stone (this was during the guitar solo part of Mike). It looked like Eddie was explaining to Stone what had happened and they laughed their harts out. I think this is shown on photo 7.

By the way, Eddie was drinking beer instead of red wine. He started with wine but in the second part of the set he was only drinking beer.

It made me happy to be part of this PJ celebration again.
    If you were there in Scheeßel and if you saw a big guy walking around with a smile on his face from one ear to another, it was probably me.
    Thank you PJ. What a wonderful summer it has become.

Greetings, Marcel Hendriks
    1993 - Rotterdam
    1995 - Hasselt (with Neil Young)
    1996 - Amsterdam
    2006 - Arnhem / Berlin
    2007 - München / Düsseldorf / Scheeßel / Nijmegen / Werchter
    2009 - Rotterdam / Berlin
    2010 - Nijmegen / Berlin / Werchter
    2012 - Amsterdam 1 / Berlin 1 & 2 / EV - Amsterdam 1
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 / Berlin
  • Options
    Borland wrote:
    I was at home on Saturday and couldn't stop thinking about the PJ-shows of the coming days. I was already in Munich (tenclub) and Düsseldorf and I also have tickets for Nijmegen (tenclub) and Werchter. But that wasn't enough for me. So I decided to go to the festival in Scheeßel. On Sunday 2:00pm I left my home in Enschede Holland and drove to the Hurricane festival in the northern part of Germany. I arrived there at about 5:30pm. It was quit easy to get a ticket in front of the gates (as it was not sold out).

I was right on time to catch a bit of the Editors (great band). After that I wend to the main stage where Sonic Youth started their gig. There was a possibility to get in the separated area in front of the stage. All the people that walked out of the area after a gig, where filled up again with new people. We had to queue up in a line. So I stood there for 45 minutes. Waiting at the far right side of the main stage. But it was worth it. About 60 people were allowed to go in. 15 minutes later Placebo started their gig. It was a good and solid show but it missed the emotion or the magic that is needed to get 50.000 people of their feed.

Finally it was time for PJ. It was a great show and definitely worth the trip I made a few hours before. It was obviously clear that PJ was enjoying their gig. Maybe it’s harder for a band to play on a festival with all those different people with their different musical taste. And when you succeed to get such a crowd going, it must give the band an enormous satisfaction. It was not hard to get me going. It was absolutely great. Wonderful setlist with many songs I hoped they would play. It was a little surprise for me that PJ didn’t do Alive on a festival. But we all know that the setlists of PJ can be full of surprises.

Then at the end (as Peter already mentioned) Eddie hurt himself badly by bumping into a part of the stage construction. He was right in middle of his “tambourine give away - thing”.
    I was standing right in front of the stage and could see that Eddie barely couldn’t climb on the stage because of the pain. The guitar-engineer with the beard who always throws the tambourines to Eddie, jumped off the stage in an attempt to help Eddie back on.
    Finally Eddie succeeded to reach his mic-stand and he dropped on the ground.
    In the setlist/photo section (photo nr. 6) you can see Eddie laying on the ground in front of his mic-stand. He was laying there for a little less than 1 minute when he finally stood up again. They started the last song YLB and at the end of the song, Eddie walked over to Stone (this was during the guitar solo part of Mike). It looked like Eddie was explaining to Stone what had happened and they laughed their harts out. I think this is shown on photo 7.

By the way, Eddie was drinking beer instead of red wine. He started with wine but in the second part of the set he was only drinking beer.

It made me happy to be part of this PJ celebration again.
    If you were there in Scheeßel and if you saw a big guy walking around with a smile on his face from one ear to another, it was probably me.
    Thank you PJ. What a wonderful summer it has become.

Greetings, Marcel Hendriks

Great review man, really complete!!! although I´m wondering where´s te rest that gone to that show... And I hope that Eddie is fine...
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • Options
    although I´m wondering where´s te rest that gone to that show...
    probably not members of this forum? ;)
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i was there! but definitely didnt see as many of the tenclub army that were in dusseldorf & copenhagen...good bands at the festival. everybody else love that overpowering smell of cowshite like i did? ....breathe it in deep....mmmmm
  • Options
    anybody see Mogwai? WOW
  • Options
    [ot]unfortunately not, but I listened to them half-asleep in my tent. :)[/ot]
  • Options
    deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    JordyWordy wrote:
    anybody see Mogwai? WOW
    Next to Pearl Jam, that was the best show of the festival...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    here http://www.kreiszeitung.de/Fotogalerien/Scheessel_Hurricane_07_So/ you can find some pics from the show (not mine).
  • Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    ´Peter wrote:
    here http://www.kreiszeitung.de/Fotogalerien/Scheessel_Hurricane_07_So/ you can find some pics from the show (not mine).
    Thanks for the link! There are some nice pics. Since there are just so few people here in this thread, I just say it again: It was a great show, very intense. This time I was standing directly in the moving masses....great experience of jumping, stumbling, singing, shouting, having fun. Completely different to the show in Berlin last year where I was standing a little aside. From there I could enjoy songs like Black much more...different experience, but both of the shows were absolutely fantastic!
  • Options
    after seeing so many other bands on the same stage the main thing that struck me was how loud McCreadys guitar was in the mix if you were on the left side of stage at the front...during songs like Dissident & Black it was heaven!

some asshole was fighting with security behind me during betterman. still tho great concert with eddie making reference to Kings Of Leon & Sonic Youth & QOTSA..and not many germans seemed to get it...nice touch tho by ed

"youve seen kings and queens, and gods (presumably SY)..and pearls..beneath this beautiful sky" - something to that effect

GREAT version of Interstellar Overdrive
  • Options
    HURRICANE FESTIVAL 2007: 02.08.2007, at 23.50 on ARTE with:
    BEASTIE BOYS * BLOC PARTY * DIE FANTASTISCHEN VIER * EDITORS * HAYSEED DIXIE * INTERPOL * JULIETTE & THE LICKS * KINGS OF LEON * MARILYN MANSON * PEARL JAM * PLACEBO * PORCUPINE TREE * QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE * SNOW PATROL *
    THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    Hurricane boot is up on youkanland.com. If not yet happened, I'll upload it in mp3 and post it in the download/share thread...

Enjoy,
    Chris
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    GetALife wrote:
    Hurricane boot is up on youkanland.com. If not yet happened, I'll upload it in mp3 and post it in the download/share thread...

Enjoy,
    Chris

...which is done by NOW...
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague