Options

*** Southside Festival Fanviews here 23/6/07 ***

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,775
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
June 23, 2007 - Tuttlingen, Germany; Southside Festival

Set List: Go, Do The Evolution, Animal, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Insignificance, Given To Fly, Lukin, Not For You/(Modern Girl by Sleater Kinney), 1/2 Full, Severed Hand, Glorified G, Spin The Black, Life Wasted

Encore: Even Flow, Comatose, Why Go, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World (by Neil Young)

If you were there, please share your experience here. :)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    wow...nice crazy fast paced set!!!!!!!!!!!;)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    A Patton FanA Patton Fan Posts: 176
    Hey Kat

Doesn't everyone know that RitWF is by Young? I really like the start of the encore with EVEN FLOW.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    Hey Kat

Doesn't everyone know that RitWF is by Young?

uh.....yes....everyone knows that
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Mookie1976Mookie1976 Posts: 51
    Hi!

I was there yesterday and whished the 90 minutes wouldn´t have been gone so fast...
    They were in a great mood, Ed was passing round his bottle of wine, cheering and talking to the croud. Very beautiful evening and a perfect month for myself after the birth of my first son 2 weeks ago!

Nothins more to say... Perfect, powerful and full of energie as always!

Thanks Ed, Mike, Matt, Jeff, Stone and Boom for another great experience and hopefully see you again soon in europe!

We love you guys!!!

Cheers and much love!

PS: Sonic Youth were great also!
    Zürich 2000
    Bern 2006
    Southside Festival 2007
    Berlin 2010
    Berlin 1&2 2012
    Milano 2014
    EV-Solo Amsterdam 2017
    Padova 2018
    Prague 2018
    Zürich 2022
  • Options
    mramonemramone Posts: 168
    pics ??? :p:p:p
    "Hey Ho ... Let´s Go "
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd like to hear more too! I know people who were there, but I'm sure they are traveling. Sure glad it didn't get canceled due to the weather. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    Just arrived.. I think it was a bit too fast, something slower like betterman oder black would have been better. However, great gig! Amazing RITFW!

I loved Lukin/Not For You, 1/2 Full!
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • Options
    bzmanbzman Posts: 1
    Nice concert but definitely not one of their best.
    I stood right at the front on the fence and had the ability not to mosh or jump but listen to the concert (I am too old for that :) ) from my perspective Ed was a bit drunk. Have not seen him enough times live but he seemed especially unbalanced and violent. The roadies put a wine bottle in front of his stand, he brought a glass bottle of some sort on stage and kept drinking from this or that every break. at one point he shoved his roadie, angry about his guitar setting in a way that seemed quite violent to me. During the first half of the concert the spot lights in front of him really aggravated him. He talked to the people on stage to turn it off and a couple of songs later when they point it on him again he just pulled his middle finger on them. Draining his fury on a couple of sets of tambourines during keep on rocking was just another element of it at the end.
    I have seen Pearl Jam live last time 15 years ago (London February 1992, top of my concert list !). I have listened to allot of concerts and saw some on video too. As far as I can say, Ed was either pissed or pissed off by something.
    As for the music, Ed promised to keep people awake after a long day and they certainly did. That was one fast set. The band played superb and Ed’s voice sounded very good! I must admit I am not a huge fan of Yield and they played allot of songs from that but it was still nice. i did not mosh but had a good small dance and shout on my own :)
    I saw on the net they where playing crazy Mary again and really hoped they would play that. I just love this song and i think that its one of the best songs to really appreciate Ed’s amazing voice. Sadly there was no crazy Mary and not any other more off key song. i guess they fit the list to Ed’s mood (or concentration abilities ?)
    Coming to think of it half way through the concert they went down for a short break and I was the roadies change set lists for them ...
    I went a long way to get to this festival. Waited 15 years to see the guys on stage again (they would not come where I live ..). It would probably sound very not hard core fan of me but i wish they did play a little more songs from the first two albums and i wish Ed would have sang us at least one of his quitter songs that really delivers the qualities of his voice.
    Still a memorable evening.

A note - I was wandering how nothing really good has come out in the music scean in the last few years. Most of the new bands played at the festival was shit (arcade fire are great, editors are not bad, interpol ok). all the good bands in the festival where at least 10 years old.
    Just after Placebo's concert (i kind of like them but i am not sure its the right place to admit that), two girls approached me and asked who is the band performing now. i explained its pearl jam and that they make "grunge" music and that they come from Seattle. The girls had a short negotiation and left the place :)
    much earlier that day on the same stage performed satellite party, Perry farrel's new band. They played an amazing set, half of it of Janes addiction songs and sounded amazing ! The guys played in front of very little crowd as there was this MTV new band that i never heard of playing at the other stage. They deserved much better. Go see them if you can, Perry is still one of the greatest.
    still a little tired so excuse my funny english
    untill next time
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    [much earlier that day on the same stage performed satellite party, Perry farrel's new band. They played an amazing set, half of it of Janes addiction songs and sounded amazing ! The guys played in front of very little crowd as there was this MTV new band that i never heard of playing at the other stage. They deserved much better. Go see them if you can, Perry is still one of the greatest.

Man! Perry Farrell and Pearl Jam in one day !!?? U LUCKY !
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    they are one of the opening bands for Nijmegen on Thursday too :). Thanks for your reviews! I like a more 'balanced' set too, with some time to breathe in between jumping around.

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    touristtourist Posts: 8
    Well, now that i am back from my third PJ concert so far i also like to go for my first review.
    Seeing it the positive way i like to say that it was a quite amazing loud and fast set which really could have rocked the house - sometimes i thought to myself "hey, am i the only one jumping around in here or what?" being located in the second section of people, so not to far away from the stage, just in front of that tower where they had these spotlights giving Eddi a nice time... Quite a difference to the "real" PJ-gigs i was at so far. Not at all looking for some stupid moshing stuff but a bit more of enthusiasm of the other people around would have created a much better atmosphere as it was the case for my other PJ concerts. Or as Ed said when explaining one of the songs (Severed Hand): "well, sometimes there is some immediate response to that... please also don't applaud to the next song since this is about guns"
    Seeing it more pessimistic i am almost a bit disappointed that they were just going for a typical 90 mins festival set with the basic songs and not more. I was believing and hoping that the guys would make it a bit more a special time than that and less caring about if this was a festival or not.
    Don't care about the mood Ed was in, since i think that this usually doesn't affect the set-list. I guess he was pissed with some of the technic stuff around but still pleased with the fans in the front-section.
    Still - every PJ gig is just great and a happy time, but after all i am really happy that i decided to go for a trip to munich a week before and see the guys performing a concert for the fans and not just the masses as it was the case this time. Looking forward to see them again next time they pass by Europe in a few years! I will definitely go seeing them again wherever across Europe it is!
    09-11-2006 Paris
    06-12-2007 Munich
    06-23-2007 Southside
  • Options
    Mookie1976Mookie1976 Posts: 51
    I actually don´t think Ed was pissed by the technician. To me it seemed that he was joking around with him about something.

Anyhow I enjoyed every second. Off course the set was a festival set and the croud was no PJ croud compared to a concert but I didn´t expect any more...

It is my lifetime favorite band coming 2 years back2back close to my home... What else can I be than thankful!

They will hopefully keep on rocking for many years!

Cheers
    Zürich 2000
    Bern 2006
    Southside Festival 2007
    Berlin 2010
    Berlin 1&2 2012
    Milano 2014
    EV-Solo Amsterdam 2017
    Padova 2018
    Prague 2018
    Zürich 2022
  • Options
    Pearl Jam just never fail to make people happy, at least in one way or the other.

I was queuing that day, queuing for shirts, for the band. 12 hours in front of the Green Stage, seeing great and not-so-great bands.
    The Rakes seemed to be pretty motivated, singerbloke jumped around a lot. Art Brut are overrated, and I really did not want his crotch in my face. I'm not old enuff for that anyways.
    To the above mentioned Satellite Party: My only thought was "What is going on here, where did I land??" ...Maybe I'm too young and too female to understand that, but I felt as if I had gone to the wrong cinema. What was the breast-shaking woman for??
    Porcupine Tree were really brilliant, Kings Of Leon seemed without any emotions... Sonic Youth were musically top, but didn't fit there - I'd love to see them again in a club or at least somewhere inside, festival? No thanks. Placebo for the 6th time, same setlist as the last 4 times, but oh, Stef has got new boots... - THAT must sound retard now.

Pearl Jam were great, as always. Didn't play a really ''slow'' song, didn't let us breathe. I wasn't fully satisfied by the setlist, and it was short. And I'm a wee bit jealous when seeing the Hurricane-setlist. The securitybloke next to us has told us as well that they were actually supposed to play "2-4" more songs, when did those vanish??
    Eddie was obviously totally drunk, but he didn't seem aggressive. He simply seemed to enjoy himself a lot, dancing, wearing a tambourine as a necklace etc. I was totally impressed by the whole thing, and suddenly - it was over. I'd really have expected at least a bit more, and it just left me totally overwhelmed, I was only saying "It's over, it's over now, it's out, what will we do now?" over and over again... I'm not the only one that feels totally empty now?
    And no Queens Of The Stone Age for me afterwards. But Feel Good Hit Of The Summer and No One Knows sounded good from far away.

Just my two cents.
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 512
    this one of my favorite of all time pj setlists
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    bobaboba Posts: 11
    That was a great fast paced set. Probably one of the best times I've seen them.

Shame they didn't want to take part in the event t-shirts. The only one they did was probably the worst t-shirt we'd ever seen. Would have been nice to have them on the back with the other headliners... didn't buy one for the first time ever.

Anyone know why? Financial interests don't really interest me, it's all part of being a headliner...
  • Options
    Bob Maubry wrote:
    That was a great fast paced set. Probably one of the best times I've seen them.

Shame they didn't want to take part in the event t-shirts. The only one they did was probably the worst t-shirt we'd ever seen. Would have been nice to have them on the back with the other headliners... didn't buy one for the first time ever.

Anyone know why? Financial interests don't really interest me, it's all part of being a headliner...

A mate asked the merchandise-ladies at Novarock Festival about it. She said it was because the organiser had to pay summit to the band for putting them on it or the other way round, she wasn't that sure herself. Complicated management-thing I guess, nothing for mortals to understand.

And the shirt with Pearl Jam on it was really ugly - anyone knows why (or IF) they allowed printing that?
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Options
    rd..rd.. Posts: 1
    A mate asked the merchandise-ladies at Novarock Festival about it. She said it was because the organiser had to pay summit to the band for putting them on it or the other way round, she wasn't that sure herself. Complicated management-thing I guess, nothing for mortals to understand.

And the shirt with Pearl Jam on it was really ugly - anyone knows why (or IF) they allowed printing that?

Must be somethinmg like that yeah!

The show was a terrific one! IMHO... geeee... i really enjoyed it...

only sad thing i didn't got a regular poster... wanted to buy one after the gig, they were sold out... anyone a spare?
  • Options
    lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    i stood next to an american guy from chicago, waiting for his friend mike (who's got a long nose btw :P) are you here? ^^
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    rd.. wrote:

only sad thing i didn't got a regular poster... wanted to buy one after the gig, they were sold out... anyone a spare?
    There were no posters for festivals. Regular shows only. :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    rd.. wrote:

Regular poster as in Pearl Jam-Southside Festival-Poster?
    I might have one Pearl Jam-World Tour poster left in case that helps, but as mentioned above there were no PJ festival posters..