Options

Any good food?

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
So, many of you are travelling all over the place for the concerts, maybe to some places for the first time. Sure, the concerts are uppermost in my your minds . . . but, what about the food!?

Anything new to you, that was good, that will add to the glorious memories of the concert? :)
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Food? I punctuated my beer with the occasional pint of Guinness, if that counts. ;)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Food? I punctuated my beer with the occasional pint of Guinness, if that counts. ;)

Depends how that pint of guiness is put to use...

Is Guinness food?
  • Options
    one day. one day we'll share some together my friend. ;)

:D
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    California is pork burritos, any and all Chinese/Asian food. Also, kill for El Polo Loco chicken, rice and refried beans. Garlic Rose in North Beach, SF.

Moses Lake, Washington was JackInTheBox (don’t tell). Miss them in Chicagoland and there’s nothing better for artery blockage than an Ultimate Cheeseburgers or two. And Breakfast Jacks and a j rule for hangovers!

Seattle = fresh seafood (salmon) and strong black coffee, duh

Florida = Cuban food; any pork dish, yucca, Cuban bread and coffee.

St. Louis/Kansas = BBQ and Steak.

Canada; no food required! Just beer, beer and more beer!!

Next week in Belgium it looks like (from reading posts here) I need to try french fry’s and mayonnaise, hope there’s ketchup close by just in case.

Holland; I’ll be feasting on hookers!! No, I did not just say that… or did I ? And I won’t be drinking coffee in coffee houses :)

Need advice on Denmark.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    edwho wrote:

Need advice on Denmark.

Me too! But food is second on my mind after pearl jam!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    In denmark you eat "rod polse"! Its like a red sausage on thin paper and no bread.. Thats all you eat. Sounds crazy but its true
    Paris, France 11/9 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark 26/6 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden 7/7 2012
    Solna, Sweden 28/6 2014
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    edwho wrote:
    Next week in Belgium it looks like (from reading posts here) I need to try french fry’s and mayonnaise, hope there’s ketchup close by just in case.

Belgium is chocolate and river eel.... but not at the same time :eek:
  • Options
    elcieloelcielo Posts: 1,149
    POLAND:

pierogi - some kind of big ravioli with cheese filling

barszcz (white ot red) - great great cream soup

bigos - sauerkraut with pieces of meat and sausage

golabki - cabbage leaves stuffed with minced meat and rice served with sour cream or tomato sauce

i really loved the food in poland, and it's really cheap eating outside
  • Options
    edwho wrote:
    California is pork burritos, any and all Chinese/Asian food. Also, kill for El Polo Loco chicken, rice and refried beans. Garlic Rose in North Beach, SF.

Moses Lake, Washington was JackInTheBox (don’t tell). Miss them in Chicagoland and there’s nothing better for artery blockage than an Ultimate Cheeseburgers or two. And Breakfast Jacks and a j rule for hangovers!

Seattle = fresh seafood (salmon) and strong black coffee, duh

Florida = Cuban food; any pork dish, yucca, Cuban bread and coffee.

St. Louis/Kansas = BBQ and Steak.

Canada; no food required! Just beer, beer and more beer!!

Holland; I’ll be feasting on hookers!! No, I did not just say that… or did I ? And I won’t be drinking coffee in coffee houses :)

Need advice on Denmark.

In Belgium: chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Beer (cherry flavored if it's hot, really refreshing), try whatever you can get your hands on, there's a lot to discover. And try the fries with different sauces, not only mayon. (I like americaine and samourai, but that's just me...).

Netherlands: Don't drink any beer if you tasted the belgian before. But eat fries again, they have a nice sauce, I think it's called "Joppie-Sauce" (don't know if the spelling is right). If you come to a supermarket, get some vla (some kind of pudding). And if you're into chocolate milk, some "Chocomel". Great stuff...
    Landgraaf 00 Hamburg 00
    Arnhem 06 Antwerp 06 Berlin 06
    Düsseldorf 07 Nijmegen 07

Neil Young And Friends Berlin 95
  • Options
    my Dad and I went to a very nice, fairly authentic chinese restaurant called 'Alysan' opposite the new Stadium.

My new ambition in life is to combine a Pearl Jam show with a pre-show Sushi dinner. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    DownStockholm, thank you, I like the 'no bread' idea. So Rod Polse, Carlsberg and a trip to Christina it is. What else in Denmark?

Nuffingman, :eek: river eel :eek: ok, I’m game, is that anything like escargot? Love escargot in hot buttery garlic sauce! Chocolate, now you’re talkin’. I love chocolate especially after a coffee house visit :) You guys make the real stuff don’t you? I hope my taste buds can handle it. My sister brought home real licorice from Italy once and I couldn’t eat it (way too powerful flavor).

talkshowhost, ok, just rearranged my flights to stop in Belgium first and will load up on beer (cherry?) for my complete trip. Even my friends here who have Euro travel experience indicated Belgium + pints = eternal happiness, may never come home me thinks.

~
    Side note: The London Fanview thread is fantastic! Best ever!! Thank you for your amazing reviews everyone. Extra big thank you to the non-posters ;) Rock on, edwho
    ~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    edwho wrote:
    DownStockholm, thank you, I like the 'no bread' idea. So Rod Polse, Carlsberg and a trip to Christina it is. What else in Denmark?

I guess thats it.. but thats probably because Im from Sweden ;)
    Paris, France 11/9 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark 26/6 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden 7/7 2012
    Solna, Sweden 28/6 2014
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    In chicago I hope to try out:
    Chicago hot dogs
    Deep dish pizza
    Italian beef sandwich
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    I lost 2 kg :o in 10 days :eek:
    No time to eat and to much jumping around Europe to get to the
    next show :D
    I had some good food in Italy, a pizza :D
    But no, I didnt really spend much time or money to eat properly :o
    Plus, Im always too nervous before shows like Wembley so I dont eat at all...
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    edwho wrote:

Nuffingman, :eek: river eel :eek: ok, I’m game, is that anything like escargot? Love escargot in hot buttery garlic sauce! Chocolate, now you’re talkin’. I love chocolate especially after a coffee house visit :) You guys make the real stuff don’t you? I hope my taste buds can handle it. My sister brought home real licorice from Italy once and I couldn’t eat it (way too powerful flavor).

talkshowhost, ok, just rearranged my flights to stop in Belgium first and will load up on beer (cherry?) for my complete trip. Even my friends here who have Euro travel experience indicated Belgium + pints = eternal happiness, may never come home me thinks.

~
    Side note: The London Fanview thread is fantastic! Best ever!! Thank you for your amazing reviews everyone. Extra big thank you to the non-posters ;) Rock on, edwho
    ~

Cherry, yes. Apart from the obvious (Stella) the Belgians have abbey beers (more alcohol), my favourite is Leffe (which is a bigger one, maybe some belgian people can add something on that) and fruit-flavored beers like cherry or raspberry (even some citrus, but I haven't been brave enough for that). They're great and refreshing, but if you drink too much you get the headache of your life!!! Anyway, it's worth the risk, on every trip to Belgium I buy just three things: Comic book, chocolate and beer. And it's not that we don't have any good beers in germany, but Belgium and the Czech Republic is still a great beer adventure. :-))
    Enjoy it!!
    Landgraaf 00 Hamburg 00
    Arnhem 06 Antwerp 06 Berlin 06
    Düsseldorf 07 Nijmegen 07

Neil Young And Friends Berlin 95
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Italian beef sandwich
    What the fuck is that? :confused:
  • Options
    colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    My new ambition in life is to combine a Pearl Jam show with a pre-show Sushi dinner. :D

Fuji Mountain in Philly... Sushi and PJ mix VERY well
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    So, many of you are travelling all over the place for the concerts, maybe to some places for the first time. Sure, the concerts are uppermost in my your minds . . . but, what about the food!?

Anything new to you, that was good, that will add to the glorious memories of the concert? :)
    Munich- bier, pretzels, and weisswurst. And strudel. I don't think I put anything else in my mouth during those 3 days.
    Poland- beer, these 'smiley' potato things, and something I can't possibly pronouce, with like 19 letters and 1 vowel, and still tried ordering anyway.
    Paris detour- escargot, foie gras, pate, baguette, WINE.... I took a detour here with the mission to eat, drink, and see magnificent stuff. Mission accomplished.
    London- not complete yet, but I've done sausage and mash, fish and chips, mixed grill, beer, cider, an English breakfast... Will need to try a lancashire hotpot, and a curry in brick lane. Either way, to say the obvious, this is a culinary shithole compared to Paris
    Dusseldorf- Pork knuckle. My god that thing was huge. It was last night and I'm still bloody full. The beers make me really miss Munich- I came here expecting steins, and they only have half pints here. Tiny, tiny glasses.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Hinny wrote:
    Munich- bier, pretzels, and weisswurst. And strudel. I don't think I put anything else in my mouth during those 3 days.
    Poland- beer, these 'smiley' potato things, and something I can't possibly pronouce, with like 19 letters and 1 vowel, and still tried ordering anyway.
    Paris detour- escargot, foie gras, pate, baguette, WINE.... I took a detour here with the mission to eat, drink, and see magnificent stuff. Mission accomplished.
    London- not complete yet, but I've done sausage and mash, fish and chips, mixed grill, beer, cider, an English breakfast... Will need to try a lancashire hotpot, and a curry in brick lane. Either way, to say the obvious, this is a culinary shithole compared to Paris
    Dusseldorf- Pork knuckle. My god that thing was huge. It was last night and I'm still bloody full. The beers make me really miss Munich- I came here expecting steins, and they only have half pints here. Tiny, tiny glasses.
    Haha, you Paris lover. If youre moving to Europe, we know where to find you :D
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    edwho wrote:
    My wife had the river eel. I tried it and it was pretty good. If I remember it was in rich green sauce. Sounds f**ckin hideous but was good. Wouldn't know what to compare it with.
  • Options
    What the fuck is that? :confused:

An Italian beef sandwich consists of thin slices of beef served inside Italian bread or some other crusty bread (often soaked), which has been cut lengthwise and into individual portions. (The "Italian Bread" commonly used in Chicago is a white loaf with a high gluten content and little to no sourdough flavor, made to be reminiscent of what many think of as being Italian restaurant bread). Even though it is served on Italian bread sliced lengthwise, this is the only thing it has in common with submarine sandwiches. Italian beef is made using cuts of beef from the sirloin butt (Scala's) or the top/bottom round wet-roasted in broth with garlic, oregano and spices until medium rare or medium. The roast is then cooled, then sliced very thinly ("shaved") using a deli slicer, and then served dripping wet after a reintroduction to its reheated beef cooking broth, topped off with sauteed green bell peppers, or hot Chicago-style "giardiniera" peppers (mix of Serrano peppers, carrot, cauliflower, celery, olives, and oil/spices), or rarely marinara sauce by request; hence the need to use a chewy bread for this dish: a softer bread would disintegrate.

from wiki
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    My wife had the river eel. I tried it and it was pretty good. If I remember it was in rich green sauce. Sounds f**ckin hideous but was good. Wouldn't know what to compare it with.

the eel you get a a sushi bar is freshwater eel

delicious, but VERY high in fat

tastes kinda like frog

:)