Options

Blocking someone

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
Do any of y'all block people?

Social media, phone numbers, etc..

I never used to. I'd simply defriend/unfollow, and delete the phone number.

But I've blocked people recently. Some of them deserved it (legal reasons, love reasons). Some of them did nothing wrong.

I've read some of the psychology on blocking - it can do more harm than good, it's a power/ego thing, stuff like that.

For me, at the end of the day, it's about protecting my peace, and it seems like my peace is under heavier attack than ever.

This week, I was randomly contacted by two people that I no longer talk to. The communications themselves weren't terribly triggering, but the fact that I got them was.

If it's been made abundantly clear, by either you or me, that we won't be part of each other's lives in ANY capacity going forward, then I see no need to allow you to continue to be able to contact me.

Thoughts?
May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I don't block people on social media, although I am selective about who I accept as friends/followers. I block phone numbers when I get telemarketer/scam calls and texts. Those immediately get the block. I've never blocked a person that I actually know though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    I'll block - phone, social media (LinkedIn and here are the only two places I go I would consider in that category), my personal life, etc.
    I have no time for people who are energy vampires.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Also...who cares what other people think.  (It is an ego thing, a power thing, etc.)  Your attitude seems 100% right.  Keep the vampires away, man.  

I have even blocked family.  Fuck that guy.  I'll never (under any circumstances I can imagine) talk to that guy again.  If he called me, I would hang up.  If he rang my door, I would not answer. 
    Some people are not worth it.  Bridge burned. 🔥 
    Leave me alone.  :lol:     
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,932
    Not really blocked but some friends I "unfollow" on facebook cause of what they post. Also sometimes I'll just delete people if they aren't active, post stupid shit aka political views are different or just lost in touch with them.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,049
    Great topic.  I don’t block anyone.  I want to see what they say but that being said I am very close to blocking my first person ever because they are bat shit crazy.

Having someone unhinged incessantly messaging you is just unhealthy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Only on my phone and because it's relatively new, I've only done that once.

My wife has blocked several people in her phone.  She has also blocked several scarves and some sweaters.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,991
    Great topic.  I don’t block anyone.  I want to see what they say but that being said I am very close to blocking my first person ever because they are bat shit crazy.

Yeah sorry Chris. Too much?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,295
    I block phone numbers all the time. If I don’t recognise the number, I won’t answer. If they don’t leave a voicemail, I’ll block them. There are way too many scam calls these days to trust an unknown number.

I’ve ‘unfriended’ or unfollowed people on FB and IG over the years, usually because we’ve drifted apart or I’m unlikely to ever see then again. For example, when I was backpacking in 06/07 you’d hang out with people at hostels, maybe see them again somewhere down the line if you were headed to the same countries, but once the trip is over never see them again.

I’ve definitely blocked a cousin out of my life. My family are very close, and he’s the oldest of the cousins, but he’s been dead to me for years. I’ve never met his son and never want to (I think he’s 18 or 19 now), and whenever his name comes up in conversation I’ll change the subject. To quote Mark Lanegan, “I wouldn’t piss in his mouth if he was dying of thirst”.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,049

Yeah sorry Chris. Too much?
    HAHAHAHAH!!! Not you Rob.  U are very sane.  I love you my friend!
  • Options
    A bit of English banter crept into me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I block phone numbers all the time. If I don’t recognise the number, I won’t answer. If they don’t leave a voicemail, I’ll block them. There are way too many scam calls these days to trust an unknown number.

I’ve ‘unfriended’ or unfollowed people on FB and IG over the years, usually because we’ve drifted apart or I’m unlikely to ever see then again. For example, when I was backpacking in 06/07 you’d hang out with people at hostels, maybe see them again somewhere down the line if you were headed to the same countries, but once the trip is over never see them again.

I’ve definitely blocked a cousin out of my life. My family are very close, and he’s the oldest of the cousins, but he’s been dead to me for years. I’ve never met his son and never want to (I think he’s 18 or 19 now), and whenever his name comes up in conversation I’ll change the subject. To quote Mark Lanegan, “I wouldn’t piss in his mouth if he was dying of thirst”.
    Hahaha.
    I get that, 100%

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,982
    I have blocked so many people on FB that my feed is mostly just news and advertisements.

tRumpsters get blocked...frequent updaters get blocked, beachbody or other fitness people, etc. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Man, I opened this thread because I thought I was finally going to be able to reflect on my days as an offensive lineman. Bummer.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    Man, I opened this thread because I thought I was finally going to be able to reflect on my days as an offensive lineman. Bummer.
    LOLOL.

I was an OT and DT in high school, DT in college. These days, the thought of running into someone full speed makes me cringe lol.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    LOLOL.

I was an OT and DT in high school, DT in college. These days, the thought of running into someone full speed makes me cringe lol.
    Same bro. Same.
  • Options
    Block social media your life will be so much nicer. It's all utter ego massage and angry opinionated lost souls in my pointless opinion 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited August 2023
    I block all spam callers on my phone (I do answer them all just so I can confirm it's spam and block them).
    I block toxic posters and trolls on social media, so that happens a LOT, lol.
    I think I have 2 people "ignored" right here on this forum, which I think is a very good number for an active forum!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata