Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The tour is back, the Friday Night Concert series is back, summer is close. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Celticskemba8Celticskemba8 Posts: 308
    Going to bangor, my first Dave show, pumped!
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Bangor? I barely know her!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Anyone listen to the new record yet?  Mine arrives today I think.
    mrussel1 said:
    I enjoyed it. Monsters and the Singing From The Windows song Dave was performing a lot during Covid stood out. Only got to listen once but I think I'll like this one a lot. 

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mrussel1 said:

It's alright. Better than Come Tomorrow but nothing earthshattering 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    Digging the new album
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Celticskemba8Celticskemba8 Posts: 308
    Bangor? I barely know her!
    Hahaha. 

New album is very solid. No stand out songs, but I liked them all. 
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 420

Never liked them, and that was long before my heart was broken by my ex, a fanatical fan of the band lol (70+ shows, named her son after the drummer).

Saw them live once. Tix were free, behind the stage. Show was incredibly boring. Each song was 10+ minutes long, jammy, and mumbly.

He does have some good songs, I will admit.

But now I can’t listen to him at all.

If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Never liked them, and that was long before my heart was broken by my ex, a fanatical fan of the band lol (70+ shows, named her son after the drummer).

Saw them live once. Tix were free, behind the stage. Show was incredibly boring. Each song was 10+ minutes long, jammy, and mumbly.

I've never been much of a fan either. I did see him live once and thought it was ok. I was surprised at the crowd....maybe 60% of the people paying attention and 40% just fucking around like they were watching the 1pm band at a festival.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

I've never been much of a fan either. I did see him live once and thought it was ok. I was surprised at the crowd....maybe 60% of the people paying attention and 40% just fucking around like they were watching the 1pm band at a festival.
    It's like any Dead, Phish, WSP type show.  If you're into jam bands and know teh music, it's awesome.  If you don't, well the songs are long and they seem longer.  They aren't 3 minute quick hitters. 
    Tell me you don't know DMB without telling me you don't know DMB.

Also, if you don't like the band why would you come in this thread? Just want to the be the cool "I don't like _____" guy?
    Jumb0 said:

Also, if you don't like the band why would you come in this thread? Just want to the be the cool "I don't like _____" guy?
    I’ve been going to Dave shows since 1994. Seen them at least 50 times. He pretty much nailed it
    Jumb0 said:

I’ve been going to Dave shows since 1994. Seen them at least 50 times. He pretty much nailed it
    DMB isn’t a jam band. 
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

DMB isn’t a jam band. 
    Right
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

DMB isn’t a jam band. 
    Cmon. They are essentially a jam band.  

Are you saying the studio version LITHOG is the same as what they play live? Jimi Thing? Rhyme? They are significantly longer and full of jams.
    mrussel1 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

DMB isn’t a jam band. 

Are you saying the studio version LITHOG is the same as what they play live? Jimi Thing? Rhyme? They are significantly longer and full of jams.
    I am not even sure how this is debatable. They are a quintessential, contemporary jam band.
    edited May 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

DMB isn’t a jam band. 

I am not even sure how this is debatable. They are a quintessential, contemporary jam band.
    I guess the only counter is that not every song is jammed.  There are obviously some songs that are still in a short format, like the album version.  One could argue that a pure jam band extends everything, like a Disco Biscuits or someone like that.  But DMB definitely has roots in jam. 
  • mrussel1 said:

It's like any Dead, Phish, WSP type show.  If you're into jam bands and know teh music, it's awesome.  If you don't, well the songs are long and they seem longer.  They aren't 3 minute quick hitters. 
    Hey #40 on listener supported is shorter than a Bad Religion song! 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

Phish is a jam band. Phish starts playing a song not knowing where it's going to end up.

DMB is not a jam band. DMB has some songs were the members of the band take solos in a pre-structured sequence. 
    mrussel1 said:

Listener Supported is an amazing concert.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's fantastic. Easily my two most listened albums involving Dave are Listener Supported and Live at Luther College.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's fantastic. Easily my two most listened albums involving Dave are Listener Supported and Live at Luther College.
    Of the official, mainstream releases (not the Live Trax), I've always loved Central Park the most.  I'm not sure I can play it loud enough.  

Were you on the lawn? We had lawn seats for our first show ten years ago and that was the experience. Different down in the pavilion, though. 

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Dave was on House
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

I picked up Live Trax #1 because I'm a Masshole and I like Massachusetts things. REALLY liking the keyboards on this. Not used to them being so prevalent in DMB. 

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Of the official, mainstream releases (not the Live Trax), I've always loved Central Park the most.  I'm not sure I can play it loud enough.  
    another beauty

JimmyV said:
    I picked up Live Trax #1 because I'm a Masshole and I like Massachusetts things. REALLY liking the keyboards on this. Not used to them being so prevalent in DMB. 
    Love that show too.  I really liked the Butch Taylor era.  I thought he added a lot to the early part of the decade.  Linus and Lucy on that show is wonderful, so nostalgic and you can hear the crowd go crazy.  I live/work in Richmond and Butch used to do jingle work for my company at the time.  So we used to chat it up, really nice guy.  This would have been right around 2004 when he was still with the band.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited May 2023
    JimmyV said:

Were you on the lawn? We had lawn seats for our first show ten years ago and that was the experience. Different down in the pavilion, though. 
    I was in one of the elevated areas right at the edge of the pavilion. I can't remember what song it was...something I don't think I had heard before, but they started playing it and I was like "wow this is a great song" and then I was floored that many people in front of us were just talking to each other, paying no attention to the band at all. I compared it to PJ breaking out something like In Hiding and half the crowd talking about what they were going to do tomorrow.

I know a lot of the crowd was just there to say they went. My daughter who was probably 17-18 at the time went with a bunch of her friends and I know none of them had any idea about DMB.

And I'm not suggesting that all crowds are like that for DMB...but the one I was at was. And he plays Deer Creek a lot....maybe that is part of the issue. 
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    See y'all in Nashville tonight