Capitol Riots 2

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    Yes. I do not tolerate cretins who try to overthrow the government. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    Lol ok. How about murderers? Or people who shoot at police officers? You tolerate them? I’m just curious what you consider punishable by execution and what you don’t. It feels like you’re not thinking logically, just politically and emotionally. 

Cool. Weird way to live but to each their own. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    Lol ok. How about murderers? Or people who shoot at police officers? You tolerate them? I’m just curious what you consider punishable by execution and what you don’t. It feels like you’re not thinking logically, just politically and emotionally. 
    You can look up my posts on the death penalty. I've said it for years. I am only pro death penalty in cases of sedition and treason against the government. You try to overthrow the government, you gotta go. Had the union been more stern with the confederates we would not be in the mess we are in today.

nicknyr15 said:

Yeah I enjoy schadenfreude. 

nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    You can look up my posts on the death penalty. I've said it for years. I am only pro death penalty in cases of sedition and treason against the government. You try to overthrow the government, you gotta go. Had the union been more stern with the confederates we would not be in the mess we are in today.
    I disagree but I respect your stance. 
    nicknyr15 said:

Yeah I enjoy schadenfreude. 
    Doesn’t sound healthy lol
    but again, I respect your honesty. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    nicknyr15 said:

Death penalty aside, I'm happy to see people who tried to overthrow our government get convicted accordingly... are you not? 
    nicknyr15 said:

Death penalty aside, I'm happy to see people who tried to overthrow our government get convicted accordingly... are you not? 
    Absolutely am! I’m all for Justice in any way shape or form. 

If I recall correctly, a lot of people here didn’t even think they’d be arrested. 

I just commented that execution seems a little crazy, but gimme perfectly explained his stance. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I don't see this as an executable crime but I hope they go to prison for a few years at least.

And tRump's punishment still looms.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Absolutely am! I’m all for Justice in any way shape or form. 

If I recall correctly, a lot of people here didn’t even think they’d be arrested. 

I just commented that execution seems a little crazy, but gimme perfectly explained his stance. 

Fair... I tried a quick search to see if SC is punishable by death, but didn't get too far. (I believe treason is,) Personally I'm on the fence about the death penalty. I used to believe in it for certain crimes, now I don't know where I stand. 

I'm very happy to see the convictions. Many people did their best to downplay the events of 1/6, and while some of the crowd may have been useful idiots, it was pretty obvious there was a lot more to that day than a peaceful protest gone awry (as some tried to portray it)  
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    I get your thought process re treason but I would rather see them spend their 20 years (hopefully full sentences) in a regular prison full of those who they despise and protest against. That said I wouldn’t argue either way.  If they were in a different country (some countries) they’d be dead already. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    Seditious conspiracy isn't the same as treason. 
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    Don’t mess with him he’s a law expert for sure! 
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    I never mess with gimmesometruth27 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    I’m such an ass!  I meant for g27 not to mess with you! Hahahaha I grabbed the wrong post! No offense g27!
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    I’m such an ass!  I meant for g27 not to mess with you! Hahahaha I grabbed the wrong post! No offense g27!
    lol i was confused. i was like, was i messing with anybody on this thread? if so it wasn't on purpose.

edited May 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    correct. from what i recall treason can only occur during a time of war with direct aid to the enemy against the us.

can make the argument that these guys conspired against the government to overthrow a perfectly legal election, but since we are not in a war they did not work with an enemy against the government. BUT, if russia helped them, and russia is considered an adversary, i wonder if some of these russians here could be charged with something more. not sure. 

all i know is sedition and treason are very serious offenses in my opinion, and those people need to be weeded out. that thought process spreads like covid, and these things will continue to happen if serious examples are not made out of some of these people.

i don't ever want to see another jan 6, and we all know if we do nothing to these people, jan 6 was just a practice run for the next time.
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    correct. from what i recall treason can only occur during a time of war with direct aid to the enemy against the us.

can make the argument that these guys conspired against the government to overthrow a perfectly legal election, but since we are not in a war they did not work with an enemy against the government. BUT, if russia helped them, and russia is considered an adversary, i wonder if some of these russians here could be charged with something more. not sure. 

all i know is sedition and treason are very serious offenses in my opinion, and those people need to be weeded out. that thought process spreads like covid, and these things will continue to happen if serious examples are not made out of some of these people.

i don't ever want to see another jan 6, and we all know if we do nothing to these people, jan 6 was just a practice run for the next time.

we still in the global war on terror?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 

It's interesting because the Risenbergs were executed even though I don't believe a formal declaration of war existed with the Soviet Union.  There must be an additional federal statute  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 
    lol i was confused. i was like, was i messing with anybody on this thread? if so it wasn't on purpose.
    Oh no you did nothing!  My stupidity!  I only meant that mrussel1 appears to be well versed in the law.  
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 

we still in the global war on terror?
    i thought that the war on turr ended when we left afghanistan.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 

It's interesting because the Risenbergs were executed even though I don't believe a formal declaration of war existed with the Soviet Union.  There must be an additional federal statute  
    from what i remember the rosenbergs were executed quickly and they did less than what snowden did.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 

from what i remember the rosenbergs were executed quickly and they did less than what snowden did.
    I don't know that they did less.  They gave nuclear technology to the Soviets along with other secrets. 
    edited May 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lol. Execute them? Jeez. 

I don't know that they did less.  They gave nuclear technology to the Soviets along with other secrets. 
    her brother worked at los alamos. admitted passing on info. life sentence....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Idaho man who dangled from Senate balcony during Capitol riot receives 15-month prison sentence
    By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN and ALANNA DURKIN RICHER
    Today

An Idaho man who traveled to Washington in a car loaded with weapons and was photographed dangling from the Senate balcony during the Capitol riot was sentenced Wednesday to 15 months in prison.

Josiah Colt, one of the first rioters to reach the Senate floor on Jan. 6, 2021, later pleaded guilty that year to obstructing Congress' certification of Joe Biden's White House victory.

Also Wednesday, a man who accompanied Colt to the District of Columbia in a rental car with two pistols, knives, a stun gun, body armor and other gear was sentenced to about three years in prison, according to court records. Las Vegas resident Nathaniel DeGrave, who also entered the Senate gallery, pleaded guilty to conspiracy and assault charges last year.

Both men had agreed to cooperate with investigators as part of their plea deals.

Prosecutors say Colt, DeGrave and a third man, Ronald Sandlin, came to Washington prepared for violence and were intent on stopping lawmakers from certifying the results of the 2020 election as they joined the angry mob of then-President Donald Trump supporters in storming the Capitol.

On Dec. 31, 2020, the men had discussed in a Facebook chat a plan for “shipping guns” to Sandlin’s home in Tennessee. Days later, Sandlin posted on social media a photo of Colt, who was lying in bed with his eyes closed and holding a handgun, with the caption: “My fellow patriot Josiah Colt sleeping ready for the boogaloo Jan 6th.” Boogaloo is a term some extremists use to refer to a second civil war. Colt replied to the post, “Ready for any battle,” followed by a laughing emoji.

Colt, a 34-year-old from Meridian, Idaho, brought his pistol to a rally the day before the riot, but decided to leave it at a hotel on the morning of Jan. 6, authorities said. The three men watched on TV as Trump told his supporters in a speech before the riot to “fight like hell” or they were “not going to have a country anymore.”

After the riot erupted, the men entered the Capitol through the Upper West Terrace doors. They went to a hallway outside the Senate gallery, where Sandlin led a charge against police officers as Colt entered, according to prosecutors.

Colt shouted, “This is our House! This is our country! This is for the people!” before he jumped to the Senate floor. Sitting in a chair reserved for then-Vice President Mike Pence, as president of the Senate, Colt raised his fist as rioters cheered him on, prosecutors said. Colt opened a door and allowed dozens of other rioters to join him.

DeGrave, who carried a can of bear spray in his pocket, called on others on the Senate floor to “take laptops, paperwork, take everything," according to court papers

Sandlin, of Millington, Tennessee, was sentenced in December to five years and three months in prison after he pleaded guilty to conspiracy and assault charges.

Colt's lawyers said in a court filing that Colt “is a good person who made a series of very bad choices based on misinformation and the emotional oratory of a demagogue.”

Prosecutors accused DeGrave of trying to capitalize on his participation in the attack by selling video footage of the riot to media outlets.

“He has even profited off of his unlawful conduct on January 6 since being incarcerated — to the tune of over $120,000 — by seeking donations on crowd-funding websites claiming that he is a ‘political prisoner’ of a ‘corrupt Biden regime,’” prosecutors wrote.

DeGrave's lawyer said in court papers that DeGrave regrets “allowing himself to be drawn into the world of those claiming ‘political persecution’ as a result of their actions on January 6."

"Nathaniel recognizes the intellectual dishonesty of admitting the criminality of his own conduct on January 6 on the one hand, and complaining about unfair treatment by the criminal justice system on the other," defense lawyer William Shipley added.

More than 1,000 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. Nearly 500 of them have been sentenced, with more than half receiving terms of imprisonment ranging from seven days to 14 years and two months.

Wounded man who invaded Senate with knife sentenced to prison for Capitol riot
    By Michael Kunzelman
    16 May 2023

An Alabama man was sentenced on Tuesday to nearly two years in prison for storming the U.S. Capitol and invading the Senate floor with a knife on his hip and a gaping wound on his face.

A police officer shot Joshua Matthew Black in his left cheek with a crowd-control munition outside the Capitol during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The bloody hole in his face didn't stop Black from occupying the Senate with other rioters after lawmakers evacuated the chamber.

“Black was a notorious offender during the attack on the Capitol,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing. “The nation was shocked and appalled at the events of January 6, and perhaps no other incident sparked as much as outrage and distress as Black and other rioters’ occupation of the Senate Chamber.”

Prosecutors had recommended a five-year prison sentence for Black, 47, of Leeds, Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentenced Black to 22 months in prison followed by two years of supervised release, according to court records.

Black didn't testify before the judge convicted him in January of five charges, including three felonies, after hearing trial testimony without a jury. Jackson also acquitted him of one count, obstructing a congressional proceeding.

Black joined the mob that disrupted the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress for certifying President Joe Biden's 2020 electoral victory. But the judge concluded that prosecutors didn't prove Black knowingly intended to obstruct or impede the proceedings.

Defense attorney Clark Fleckinger said Black, an evangelical Christian, was motivated by his religious beliefs. Black believed God directed him to go to Washington so he could “plead the blood of Jesus” on the Senate floor “to foster Congressional atonement for what he perceived to be the transgressions of (a) corrupt Democratic Party and Republican Party," Fleckinger wrote in a court filing.

More than 1,000 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related crimes. Roughly 500 of them have been sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging from seven days to over 14 years. Nineteen have received prison sentences of five years or longer, according to an Associated Press review of court records.

Black, who runs a lawn-mowing business, traveled alone to Washington, D.C., to attend then-President Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6. He joined the crowd walking to the Capitol before Trump finished his speech.

Black, armed with a concealed knife, was the first rioter to breach the barricade at the Lower West Terrace, according to prosecutors.

“This brazen act no doubt encouraged other rioters, who soon after overran the entire Lower West Terrace,” they wrote.

Black then joined the mob on the West Plaza, where police shot him with a “less-than-lethal” munition, prosecutors said.

“Rioters near Black became enraged that he was shot, and they harassed and assaulted officers,” they wrote.

After entering the Capitol through the East Rotunda doors, he breached the Senate chamber and remained inside for over 20 minutes. Black rummaged through a desk assigned to Sen. Ted Cruz and posed for photos on the Senate dais. Before leaving, he joined other rioters in a “raucous demonstration styled as a prayer" led by Jacob Chansley, the self-styled “QAnon Shaman," prosecutors said.

Black later told the FBI that he had a hunting knife on his hip — in a sheath beneath his coat — while inside the Senate chamber. FBI agents found the knife at Black's home when they arrested him on Jan. 14, 2021.

He was jailed in Washington after his arrest and remained detained until a judge ordered his release on April 24, 2021. He'll get credit for the jail time that he already served.

Texas militia member sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison for attacking police during Capitol riot
    By Michael Kunzelman
    Today

A Texas militia member was sentenced Friday to nearly five years in prison for attacking police officers at the U.S. Capitol, seriously injuring one of them during a mob's attack on Jan. 6, 2021.

U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss sentenced Donald Hazard to four years and nine months in prison followed by three months of supervised release for his role in the riot at the Capitol, according to a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's office for the District of Columbia.

The sentence matched what federal prosecutors had recommended for Hazard, who pleaded guilty to an assault charge in February.

Hazard, 44, of Hurst, Texas, was a member of a militia called the Patriot Boys of North Texas. Lucas Denney, the group's self-proclaimed president, appointed Hazard as its sergeant-at-arms. Denney also encouraged Hazard to stock up on weapons and protective gear and recruit others to join them in Washington, D.C., prosecutors said.

Hazard was “eager for violence” on Jan. 6, wearing a tactical vest and a helmet adorned with the image of the Confederate battle flag, Justice Department prosecutor Benet Kearney wrote in a court filing.

After marching to the Capitol, Hazard clashed with officers who were trying to hold off the mob near scaffolding on the northwest side of the building. Hazard grabbed a Capitol police officer and pulled him down a set of concrete steps, knocking him unconscious. That officer was treated for a concussion and foot injuries that required multiple surgeries, according to prosecutors.

Hazard also fell on another Capitol police officer whose head hit the concrete. Hazard and Denney, both wielding what appeared to be canisters of pepper spray, confronted other officers on the west side of the Capitol.

Hazard briefly entered the Capitol before police pushed him and other rioters out of the building.

“When he reached the exterior steps, Hazard raised his arms in a gesture of victory,” Kearney wrote.

In the days after Jan. 6, Hazard bragged on Facebook about storming the Capitol and fighting with police.

“The only regret Hazard expressed was that he no longer had the photographs and videos he took that day,” Kearney wrote.

Defense attorney Ubong Akpan said Hazard had no plan to attack officers.

“His actions were more of a reaction to what he saw that day, as opposed to a plan to attack law enforcement, a group he thought he was similarly situated with,” Akpan wrote in a court filing.

Video shows that Hazard didn't forcibly assault the officers in the scaffolding, his lawyer argued.

“His conduct was more consistent with impeding officers and his impeding led to bodily injuries of the officers,” Akpan wrote.

Hazard was charged with Denney, who pleaded guilty to an assault charge and was sentenced last September to four years and four months in prison.

More than 100 police officers were injured at the Capitol on Jan. 6, as rioters disrupted Congress from certifying President Joe Biden's 2020 electoral victory over Republican incumbent Donald Trump.

Over 1,000 people have been charged with federal crimes related to the riot. Approximately 500 of them have been sentenced, with more than half receiving terms of imprisonment ranging from seven days to over 14 years.