Options

**Official Wrexham AFC thread***

Ryan Reynold's and Rob McElhenney purchased the team in 2021.
They are currently in Season 2 on Netflix.

My wife and I flew from Calgary, Alberta over to the UK for a week of soccer (football) and watched Wrexham play twice during our vaca. The match on Apr 10 vs Notts County was by all measures, the greatest match in National League history.

Although we didn't secure tickets into that match, we joined the locals inside The Turf (the pub next to the pitch) and had one hell of a memorable experience cheering for promotion.

Match currently on now vs Yeoville and we're up 3-0.  One match remaining on Saturday, which if Wrexham wins, means automatic promotion!

Anyone watch the series? Anyone follow this stuff?

https://youtu.be/UJYFASFtbc4
Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,326
    It was a shame to see Wrexham’s decline over the years so it’s fun to see all of the global interest in them now. My wife and I really enjoyed watching Welcome To Wrexham and I hope they can seal promotion back to the League this year.

Growing up in Swansea (South Wales) and supporting Swansea City, our main rivals are Cardiff City. Wrexham is closer to England than South Wales so I guess their traditional rivals are English teams. There were only 3 or 4 Welsh teams playing in the English leagues (Newport County, like Wrexham, have been in and out of the league) so I always kept an eye on their results.

Swansea have actually only played them maybe 10 or 12 times in my football-watching lifetime, mainly due to them being in different divisions a lot of the time, but I’ve been to see Wales play at The Racecourse ground a couple of times and the people in Wrexham were always really cool.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    I dig your passion. My wife and I are also really enjoying Welcome to Wrexham. 
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,187
    I haven't watched. But i follow football. I'm an arsenal fan. Also I'm a big Ben Foster fan. Check out his you tube channel the cycling GK. And his pod cast. Called the fozcast.  Very good 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    evsgjamm said:
    Ryan Reynold's and Rob McElhenney purchased the team in 2021.
    They are currently in Season 2 on Netflix.

My wife and I flew from Calgary, Alberta over to the UK for a week of soccer (football) and watched Wrexham play twice during our vaca. The match on Apr 10 vs Notts County was by all measures, the greatest match in National League history.

Although we didn't secure tickets into that match, we joined the locals inside The Turf (the pub next to the pitch) and had one hell of a memorable experience cheering for promotion.

Match currently on now vs Yeoville and we're up 3-0.  One match remaining on Saturday, which if Wrexham wins, means automatic promotion!

Anyone watch the series? Anyone follow this stuff?

https://youtu.be/UJYFASFtbc4
    My wife and I have traveled to the UK from Los Angeles for matches/concerts in the past.  We've seen Spurs, West Ham when they were in the Championship and Leyton Orient.  The Leyton supporters were hilarious!  

Looking forward to another trip soon!
  • Options
    I've gathered he's quite the character, that ole Fozzy. I'll be sure to follow him.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    @JOEJOEJOE - awesome! If you can't get Premier League tickets (they sell out so fast often times), check out sportsbreaks.com as that company bundles tickets with hotel rooms. We used them to see Man U vs Everton on Apr 8. Excellent customer service and the hotel / seats were perfect.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    evsgjamm said:
    @JOEJOEJOE - awesome! if can't get Premier League tickets (they sell out so fast often times), check out sportsbreaks.com as that company bundles tickets with hotel rooms. We used them to see Man U vs Everton on Apr 8. Excellent customer service and the hotel / seats were perfect.
    Thanks for the tip.....Most of the time, I get up at 2am pacific time when tickets go on public sale in the UK.
  • Options
    Today is the day
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Looks like they did it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    just watched the match highlights on YouTube. What an atmosphere
  • Options
    Missed the game due to impossible schedules clashing but caught the highlights on YT as well. Man o man!! How friggin groovy!?! 
    WREXHAM!!
    WREXHAM!!
    WREXHAM!!

It's so entertaining and exciting to witness.