2023 Oscars

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    I don't think there's every been an Oscar night that I could have cared less about.  I don't know why- maybe it has something to do with Hugh Grants scrotum, I dunno.   I just had zero interest.  Are there really any 2022 movies worthy of all the news headlines?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    edited March 2023
    The most diverse and unstuffy award list I can recall.  (Although perhaps gifting Jamie Lee Curtis a statue over her co-star, also nominated and who we thought was way more deserving) put a small damper on that

Good for them.
    Everything Everywhere All At Once is one of the coolest movies I've seen in a long time.  
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,101
    I saw Everything Everywhere twice in the theaters. Second time was in an amazing indie theater in downtown Asheville. First time I saw it, I realized I had a huge grin on my face about 30 minutes in. I absolutely love that movie. It was full of creativity, action, and then they sneak in all the heart in the last act. That cast, so good!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    Everything, Everywhere All At Once felt like a filmschool-project on steroids. But I cried at the end, without even knowing what my brain had been blasted with for two hours. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    Brendan Fraiser won an Oscar, hot damn, good for him!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    Brendan Fraiser won an Oscar, hot damn, good for him!
    It was funny when Kimmel joked that 2 guys that were in Encino Man together 30 years ago were both nominated for Oscars… then a few hours later they’d both won!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    I saw Everything Everywhere twice in the theaters. Second time was in an amazing indie theater in downtown Asheville. First time I saw it, I realized I had a huge grin on my face about 30 minutes in. I absolutely love that movie. It was full of creativity, action, and then they sneak in all the heart in the last act. That cast, so good!
    Everything, Everywhere All At Once felt like a filmschool-project on steroids. But I cried at the end, without even knowing what my brain had been blasted with for two hours. 
    Yeah, I knew I liked it but it wasn't until replaying parts in my head for a few days that I realized how much I loved it.
    A crazy, wild, ride filled with spirit and a reminder about all of the possible doors in life vs. what is truly important. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,902
    Glad for Brendan Frasier.  He deserved it.  Always liked his films and he seems like a genuinely good dude. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    brianlux said:
    I don't think there's every been an Oscar night that I could have cared less about.  I don't know why- maybe it has something to do with Hugh Grants scrotum, I dunno.   I just had zero interest.  Are there really any 2022 movies worthy of all the news headlines?
    Yes I think Everything Everywhere and the Whale are very worthy

Avatar I could do without. Top Gun was a decent movie but had no business being nominated in my opinion.

I've found that the Oscars kind of leads us to what we should have seen if we didn't see it already.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    brianlux said:

Avatar I could do without. Top Gun was a decent movie but had no business being nominated in my opinion.

I've found that the Oscars kind of leads us to what we should have seen if we didn't see it already.
    Nobody needed to see the English Patient...
    I felt that way about Shakespeare in Love.  

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,101
    I felt that way about Shakespeare in Love.  

Especially after it beat Saving Private Ryan!
    I'll go on record saying that the English Patient was a great movie. Gut wrenching love story.

SIL was ok from what I remember. I guess I never felt the need to watch it again but it was probably good.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I liked English Patient fairly well,as I recall.
    SIL.....much less so.
    Saving Private Ryan was OK, I enjoyed.  I love a handful of scenes and many are kinda boring.
    I really like SPR....I saw it stoned at the theater and that Normandy scene blew me away

I remember thinking that the old guy at the cemetery was the Tom Hanks character at first. Like the idea of the story was that he failed and didn't save Ryan but we all know how that worked out.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    JojoRice said:
    Glad for Brendan Frasier.  He deserved it.  Always liked his films and he seems like a genuinely good dude. 
    And this makes up for the Oscar snub for Airheads.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    brianlux said:

Elaine is such a party pooper
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Point Break once again was past over for Best Picture :|
    Jason P said:
    Point Break once again was past over for Best Picture :|
    Love that movie...that and Roadhouse just have to be watched whenever the opportunity presents itself

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,986
    Oscars we’re last night? I seriously had no idea. I don’t usually care, but will at least hear people talking about it.
    mace1229 said:
    Oscars we’re last night? I seriously had no idea. I don’t usually care, but will at least hear people talking about it.
    12% up in viewership. THE BRENDAN FRAISER EFFECT.

MUMMY PART 4 LETS A GO
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,265

I miss igotid88
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    igotid88 said:

That’s a ridiculous what ever you wanna call it cloud! It reads like I don’t give a hoot if I block 10 peoples view as long as I can see and clap what an asshole! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    igotid88 said:

That is every tenclub member at a Pearl Show with a fucking backpack.
    igotid88 said:

How does a backpack block view?  It is on one's back, no?
    I'm against view blocking...with signs, headgear, cameras, etc. 

igotid88 said:

They destroy the experience with them cosplayinh a ninja turtle and swinging it around and shit. 
    igotid88 said:

They destroy the experience with them cosplayinh a ninja turtle and swinging it around and shit. 
    I've never had that happen, but if it does I think that sucks.  Your good time shouldn't shit on everyone else's good time.  
    Here in the States at many arenas they don't let backpacks in.  (Because of the whole psychos carrying explosives fear.)
    mace1229 said:
    12% up in viewership. THE BRENDAN FRAISER EFFECT.

MUMMY PART 4 LETS A GO
    More like the "I missed the slap last year, don't want to miss something similar this year" effect.