Options

The Second US Civil War / National Divorce

OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
As Margie goes, so goes the (current) USA. 

When will the national divorce officially be underway?

I personally feel that it's time for a national divorce but the problem is that even the reddest or bluest states have voter splits of like 70/30. So it's not the will that's in our way, but the logistics. Nevertheless, I think it's going to happen even if the US military has to wipe hundreds of thousands of blue-city residents out.
1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

The Second US Civil War / National Divorce 16 votes

2023-2024
0%
2025-2030
6%
OnWis97 1 vote
After 2030
6%
PJ_Soul 1 vote
It's not going to happen
87%
Katcincybearcatgimmesometruth27Ledbetterman10The Jugglerjosevolutiontbergsstatic111jpgoegeleddiecnicknyr15brianluxRunIntoTheRainjimjam1982 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    It's not going to happen
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    It's not going to happen
    Not a chance.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited February 2023
    It's not going to happen
    Can't see it happening. Let's take Texas as an example. They like to talk a big game but the 2020 election only went 52/46 Republican.
    They secede and half the population leaves. Maybe more. That would include some R's. Why?

-A trade embargo is put on them. Canada and Mexico would probably go along as not to risk their trading with the US.
    -All domestic flights are banned in and out of Texas. 
    -Anybody remaining in the state would lose their US citizenship. They would have to apply for a Visa to visit anywhere in the US.

Their feeble government would be bankrupt within a few years. They would have to open their southern border for any chance of an incoming workforce. They would come crawling back within a decade but then they would realise the real horror of their decision. To be allowed back, all politicians who voted for secession would be jailed for treason. 

Edit: Also, none of their sports teams, professional or collegiate, would be allowed to compete in any US leagues.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    It's not going to happen
    she does not seem to understand that they would have to come up with their own money, because they can't use the us dollar.

also, the us military would destroy the red state militias.

but it might be a wake up call for red states to go without the blue state and federal money propping them up for a little while.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    2025-2030
    It all seems overwhelming but the US as a superpower is living on borrowed time (per the oft-repeated "200 years"). And there are definitely countries I remember from my childhood that are now two countries.

Margie said "...the last thing I want to see is civil war..." which was a semi-clever call for civil war. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Bahahahaa
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Bahahahaa
    Thank you as always for the meaningful insights.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited February 2023
    It's not going to happen
    Texas has as many or more more D voters than New York and many other so called Blue states such as Michigan, New Hampshire, Maryland, Massachusetts etc.  What exactly would the criteria be here in deciding what is a blue vs red state.  Again this is a media inspired division that in reality is far from as stark of a contrast as Don Lemon or MTG or Kari Lake or Rachel Maddow etc would have you believe.  

Despite MTGs emphasis on regular folks agreeing with her they don't.  I would venture that whichever side of the political aisle you fall on, thinking that a national divorce/ civil war is a good idea or even a real possibility makes you in fact irregular and not in the Ex-Lax kind of way, but in the I need to get checked to see if I am living in reality way.  Unplug the TV, turn off your newsfeed and just experience the world with no preconceptions for a few days.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    It's not going to happen
    I don't see it happening, both for some of the excellent responses above, and also because I think we will soon be facing difficulties that will require the nation as a whole to work toward the same goals such as dealing with:
    -the enormous cast of continued weather extreme events- both in rebuilding and dealing with climate migration
    -also dealing with food and water issues as a result of both climate change and concentrations of population in unsustainable areas
    -other potentially widespread health incidents like COVID
    -the potential conflict with China should Taiwan be invaded
    -escalating difficulties with Russia
    -transitioning energy and transpiration means
    -potential communications issues if satellites are targeted by other countries or simply begin to collide and increasingly collide as space debris creates a cascading effect

Any one of the above could leave us little time to even consider something as unlikely as civil war.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    It's not going to happen
    I’d rather we put her and all her MAGA friends from congress in a space ship let Musk be the pilot and send them to colonize Mars 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    It's not going to happen
    The smarter people in the GOP know it will never work. They're just humoring Marge because a lot of their dumb base likes her.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,274
    It's not going to happen
    crazy talk
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    crazy talk
    Crazy talk was appealing to enough people to get Trump elected. I don't believe those Americans have found the bottom of the 'stupid' barrel yet.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    edited February 2023
    After 2030
    Something's going to happen eventually. No nation just sits there being the same forever. At some point in the future the US is going to break up at the very least... I more made my choice just because it's not impossible for a civil war to happen at some point down the road, be it in 50 years, 200 years, whatever. Civil wars actually happen all the time around the world and start from all kinds of insane circumstances that nobody saw coming in the past. America is as vulnerable to crazy shit as any other place, clearly. America is pretty fucking crazy already, so I see no actual reason to think that's going to improve rather than get worse over time. With the inevitable scarcity of resources that we'll all be facing soon because of climate change, crazier shit is definitely going to start happening more and more, climate migration will become a major factor for the first world, etc etc, and America has this incredible theocratic/authoritarian streak that is frightening. And there are people who actually truly want a civil war, and some of them are breaking into government and keeping their traps shut. Y'all are more fucked up that you like to believe maybe. I'm not saying a civil war is inevitable, but it's not an insane possibility for the US when you're thinking long game (and beyond one crazy loud mouth blond in Congress).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata