#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    This will teach them a lesson or two!
    May be an image of 2 people and text that says The China spy balloon just sent back its first pics from Missouri

^
    All of maga this weekend.

hahahaha

When the Chinese Spy Balloon tries snooping on your gender reveal party.
    At least something diverted their attention from gas stoves, sexy m&ms, and drag shows though. 
    How’s that border crisis?
    Ask my mayor. 
    I did. Too bad repubs won’t help him out.

Opinion 

The migrant crisis needs a solution. Fix it in these six steps.

Eric Adams, a Democrat, is the mayor of New York.

It isn’t often that the mayor of New York travels to El Paso. But our cities are dealing with the same humanitarian crisis, about 2,000 miles apart: migrants pouring infrom countries, many with failing governments, in Central and South America and the Caribbean. So I went down to the southern border this week to see for myself why this emergency has become so challenging.

What I found in El Paso was exactly what I feared. The national crisis has left local governments and grass-roots organizations along the border struggling to adequately care for the migrants coming into their communities.

Unfortunately, the immigration explosion has provided a dark opportunity for the xenophobic and callous in our country who say the crisis proves we should close our borders completely, abandoning the nation’s history of welcoming the “huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” The governors of Texas and Florida are even making a political game of vulnerable people’s lives, by sending themnorth with no coordination or care for their well-being — instead of urging lawmakers to take action.

The governors of those states say they cannot handle the flow of migrants and maintain local services for existing residents, and that is true. New York is also at a breaking point. The region is already annually the largest recipient of immigrants of any local government in the United States, but the total breakdown in immigration planning and policy over the past decade has now not only increased the number of migrants we absorb, but also the speed at which we must try to absorb them.

It has thus become far more difficult for New York to guarantee the health and safety of new arrivals while providing for existing New Yorkers, nearly 40 percent of whom are themselves immigrants. Now we need billions of additional dollars from the federal and state governments to do both.

But that is where the similarities between cynics such as the governors of Texas and Florida and the people of New York end. In a crisis, New Yorkers don’t ship their problems off to become someone else’s burden. We tackle challenges head-on.

That is why I’m proposing six simple steps about what’s needed to address the migrant crisis:

1. a government official solely focused on overseeing the migrant response and coordinating all relevant agencies and government entities, including the U.S. Border Patrol;

2. a decompression strategy at the border that evaluates asylum claims, establishes a plan for each migrant’s arrival — before entry into the United States — and a system to fairly distribute newcomers regionally;

3. additional congressionally allocated funding through the Federal Emergency Management Agency to implement that strategy at the border and in the localities where the migrants end up;

4. expedited right-to-work status for asylum seekers who are allowed to enter the country;

5. a clear, congressionally passed pathway to residency or citizenship for those who enter this country legally;

6. leadership that takes an all-hands-on-deck approach by bringing together nonprofits, the faith-based community and the private sector, alongside state and local government, to meet this challenge.

It’s important to note that for over a decade, Democratic leadership has worked to pass comprehensive immigration reform, and last year it was able to allocate $800 millionfor this crisis. The Biden-Harris administration, in addition to putting forward its own immigration plan, has provided support to cities facing the crisis, and put in place border measures providing some needed relief. But given the growing scope of the problem, more needs to be done.

Taking a straightforward approach is essential to addressing the crisis in a way that members of both parties — and the American people — can support. Doing so could turn the crisis into an opportunity for the United States. By providing a fair start and foundation for migrants who are coming here to work and thrive, we will strengthen our country.

Look at New York. For nearly 400 years, the city has taken in all kinds of people from everywhere, and it has more wealth than any other city in the world. This city of immigrants and their descendants is, to this day, an economic engine that provides far more in tax dollars for the federal government than it receives in spending.

Fixing the migrant crisis is not only the right thing to do, it is smart public policy for the United States. For those of us — especially my fellow Democrats — who believe that a well-run government can solve intractable problems and care adequately for all people, this is a fight we absolutely cannot afford to lose.

The status quo rewards only those who seek to pit people against one another for political gain. And I’m confident that there is a critical mass of Republicans who would support a sensible and fair-minded approach to finally ending a crisis that has been decades in the making. It’s time to restore America as a beacon of hope and prosperity, and a model of government and leadership.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/18/how-to-fix-migrant-crisis/

Irrelevant that republicans aren’t helping in my city. 

When you sarcastically ask about a migrant problem, alongside M&Ms, drag shows and gas stoves, you’re insinuating that it’s a fake problem. That there’s absolutely no problem and it’s all being over exaggerated by the right.
    Maybe you could point me to a repub solution other than building a wall?

I still don’t think it’s a “crisis,” by the way.

Guess only dems have solutions and bear responsibility for solving NY’s problems? Good to know and good luck with that.
    Good to know that a random person on a bands forum doesn’t think it’s a crisis. I’ll take my mayors word for it.  
    Keep expecting your mayor to solve the “crisis.” Good to know that a random person on a band’s forum takes their mayor’s word for it. Ok? Good talk 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited February 2023
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    May be an image of 2 people and text that says The China spy balloon just sent back its first pics from Missouri

^

hahahaha

At least something diverted their attention from gas stoves, sexy m&ms, and drag shows though. 
    Ask my mayor. 

Opinion 

It isn’t often that the mayor of New York travels to El Paso. But our cities are dealing with the same humanitarian crisis, about 2,000 miles apart: migrants pouring infrom countries, many with failing governments, in Central and South America and the Caribbean. So I went down to the southern border this week to see for myself why this emergency has become so challenging.

What I found in El Paso was exactly what I feared. The national crisis has left local governments and grass-roots organizations along the border struggling to adequately care for the migrants coming into their communities.

Unfortunately, the immigration explosion has provided a dark opportunity for the xenophobic and callous in our country who say the crisis proves we should close our borders completely, abandoning the nation’s history of welcoming the “huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” The governors of Texas and Florida are even making a political game of vulnerable people’s lives, by sending themnorth with no coordination or care for their well-being — instead of urging lawmakers to take action.

The governors of those states say they cannot handle the flow of migrants and maintain local services for existing residents, and that is true. New York is also at a breaking point. The region is already annually the largest recipient of immigrants of any local government in the United States, but the total breakdown in immigration planning and policy over the past decade has now not only increased the number of migrants we absorb, but also the speed at which we must try to absorb them.

It has thus become far more difficult for New York to guarantee the health and safety of new arrivals while providing for existing New Yorkers, nearly 40 percent of whom are themselves immigrants. Now we need billions of additional dollars from the federal and state governments to do both.

But that is where the similarities between cynics such as the governors of Texas and Florida and the people of New York end. In a crisis, New Yorkers don’t ship their problems off to become someone else’s burden. We tackle challenges head-on.

That is why I’m proposing six simple steps about what’s needed to address the migrant crisis:

1. a government official solely focused on overseeing the migrant response and coordinating all relevant agencies and government entities, including the U.S. Border Patrol;

2. a decompression strategy at the border that evaluates asylum claims, establishes a plan for each migrant’s arrival — before entry into the United States — and a system to fairly distribute newcomers regionally;

3. additional congressionally allocated funding through the Federal Emergency Management Agency to implement that strategy at the border and in the localities where the migrants end up;

4. expedited right-to-work status for asylum seekers who are allowed to enter the country;

5. a clear, congressionally passed pathway to residency or citizenship for those who enter this country legally;

6. leadership that takes an all-hands-on-deck approach by bringing together nonprofits, the faith-based community and the private sector, alongside state and local government, to meet this challenge.

It’s important to note that for over a decade, Democratic leadership has worked to pass comprehensive immigration reform, and last year it was able to allocate $800 millionfor this crisis. The Biden-Harris administration, in addition to putting forward its own immigration plan, has provided support to cities facing the crisis, and put in place border measures providing some needed relief. But given the growing scope of the problem, more needs to be done.

Taking a straightforward approach is essential to addressing the crisis in a way that members of both parties — and the American people — can support. Doing so could turn the crisis into an opportunity for the United States. By providing a fair start and foundation for migrants who are coming here to work and thrive, we will strengthen our country.

Look at New York. For nearly 400 years, the city has taken in all kinds of people from everywhere, and it has more wealth than any other city in the world. This city of immigrants and their descendants is, to this day, an economic engine that provides far more in tax dollars for the federal government than it receives in spending.

Fixing the migrant crisis is not only the right thing to do, it is smart public policy for the United States. For those of us — especially my fellow Democrats — who believe that a well-run government can solve intractable problems and care adequately for all people, this is a fight we absolutely cannot afford to lose.

The status quo rewards only those who seek to pit people against one another for political gain. And I’m confident that there is a critical mass of Republicans who would support a sensible and fair-minded approach to finally ending a crisis that has been decades in the making. It’s time to restore America as a beacon of hope and prosperity, and a model of government and leadership.

When you sarcastically ask about a migrant problem, alongside M&Ms, drag shows and gas stoves, you’re insinuating that it’s a fake problem. That there’s absolutely no problem and it’s all being over exaggerated by the right.

Guess only dems have solutions and bear responsibility for solving NY’s problems? Good to know and good luck with that.
    Good to know that a random person on a bands forum doesn’t think it’s a crisis. I’ll take my mayors word for it.  

He doesn't refer to the borders as "open", does he? If so, take everything else he says with a grain of salt too. 

Don't get me wrong, I very much believe immigration is an issue facing this country that needs major reform, but I also believe the GOP doesn't want to solve it, as it's far too valuable of a talking point come election time. 
  • WTF is up w/ the quote function on this board? 
    WTF is up w/ the quote function on this board? 
    That’s the real crisis honestly. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

^

hahahaha

brianlux said:

^

hahahaha

Haha, you guys have me in stitches this morning.  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

^

hahahaha

Ask my mayor. 

Opinion 

He doesn't refer to the borders as "open", does he? If so, take everything else he says with a grain of salt too. 

Don't get me wrong, I very much believe immigration is an issue facing this country that needs major reform, but I also believe the GOP doesn't want to solve it, as it's far too valuable of a talking point come election time.  I absolutely agree with you last paragraph. I wasn’t comparing parties. My only point was when someone brings it up in the same convo as M&Ms and gas stoves, it’s to insinuate there’s no problem and it’s fake and a joke. Which I just don’t agree with at all. It was a disingenuous post that tried to be funny. 
  • nicknyr15 said:

lol
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    edited February 2023
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

^

hahahaha

Ask my mayor. 

Opinion 

Don't get me wrong, I very much believe immigration is an issue facing this country that needs major reform, but I also believe the GOP doesn't want to solve it, as it's far too valuable of a talking point come election time. 
    I absolutely agree with you last paragraph. I wasn’t comparing parties. My only point was when someone brings it up in the same convo as M&Ms and gas stoves, it’s to insinuate there’s no problem and it’s fake and a joke. Which I just don’t agree with at all. It was a disingenuous post that tried to be funny. 

Not disingenuous at all. I’m being honest. Repubs control the house and could pass legislation that the senate would pass but they’re not interested in solving a “crisis.” They like it as it is to fire up their base and scare people.

So yea, like gas stoves, M&Ms and drag shows, it’s a “crisis.”
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,607
    nicknyr15 said:
    Good to see a random person on a band’s internet board knows what a real crisis is. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    brianlux said:

i live here and this is true.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    mickeyrat said:
    i'm so sick of hearing about "the deep state". if all of the republicans complain about it, it ain't a deep secret thing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • HCR had some pretty good perspective about the spy balloon and subsequent conservative melt down in last night's letter to an American. 
  • Why didn’t Maggie Three Names demand that Soros shoot down the balloon with his space lasers? Dereliction of duty right there. She should be impeached.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,647

Biden says in State of Union that US is ‘unbowed, unbroken’
    By ZEKE MILLER and SEUNG MIN KIM
    50 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is using his State of the Union address Tuesday night to call on Republicans to work with him to “finish the job” of rebuilding the economy and uniting the nation as he seeks to overcome pessimism in the country and navigate political divisions in Washington.

The annual speech comes as the nation struggles to make sense of confounding cross-currents at home and abroad — economic uncertainty, a wearying war in Ukraine, growing tensions with China and more — and warily sizes up Biden’s fitness for a likely reelection bid. The president is offering a reassuring assessment of the nation's condition rather than rolling out flashy policy proposals.

"The story of America is a story of progress and resilience," Biden is declaring, according to excerpts released in advance by the White House. He's highlighting record job creation under his tenure as the country has emerged from the COVID-19 pandemic. And he's declaring that two years after the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the Capitol, the country's democracy is “unbowed and unbroken.”

With Republicans now in control of the House, Biden is pointing areas of bipartisan progress in his first two years in office, including on states' vital infrastructure and high tech manufacturing. And he says, "There is no reason we can’t work together in this new Congress.”

“The people sent us a clear message. Fighting for the sake of fighting, power for the sake of power, conflict for the sake of conflict, gets us nowhere,” Biden is saying. “And that’s always been my vision for the country: to restore the soul of the nation, to rebuild the backbone of America — the middle class — to unite the country."

"We’ve been sent here to finish the job!”

The president is taking the House rostrum at a time when just a quarter of U.S. adults say things in the country are headed in the right direction, according to a new poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. About three-quarters say things are on the wrong track. And a majority of Democrats don’t want Biden to seek another term.

He is confronting those sentiments head on, aides say.

"You wonder whether a path even exists anymore for you and your children to get ahead without moving away, I get it,” Biden says. “That’s why we’re building an economy where no one is left behind. Jobs are coming back, pride is coming back because of the choices we made in the last two years.”

The setting for Biden's speech looks markedly different from a year ago, when it was Democratic stalwart Nancy Pelosi seated behind him as House speaker — though tighter-than-usual security measures returned in a vestige of the 2021 attack. Pelosi's been replaced by Republican Kevin McCarthy, and it was unclear what kind of reception restive Republicans in the chamber would give the Democratic president.

McCarthy on Monday vowed to be “respectful” during the address and in turn asked Biden to refrain from using the phrase “extreme MAGA Republicans,” which the president deployed on the campaign trail in 2022.

“I won’t tear up the speech, I won’t play games,” McCarthy told reporters, a reference to Pelosi’s dramatic action after President Donald Trump’s final State of the Union address.

Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who gained a national profile as Trump’s press secretary, was to deliver the Republican response to Biden’s speech.

She was to focus much of her remarks on social issues, including race in business and education and alleged big-tech censorship of conservatives.

“While you reap the consequences of their failures, the Biden administration seems more interested in woke fantasies than the hard reality Americans face every day,” she was to say, according to excerpts released by her office. “Most Americans simply want to live their lives in freedom and peace, but we are under attack in a left-wing culture war we didn’t start and never wanted to fight.”

With COVID-19 restrictions now lifted, the White House and legislators from both parties invited guests designed to drive home political messages with their presence in the House chamber. The parents of Tyre Nichols, who was severely beaten by police officers in Memphis and later died, are among those expected to be seated with first lady Jill Biden. Other Biden guests include the rock star/humanitarian Bono and the 26-year-old who disarmed a gunman in last month’s Monterey Park, California, shooting.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus invited family members of those involved in police incidents, as they sought to press for action on police reform in the wake of Nichols' death. A White House fact sheet ahead of the speech paired police reform with bringing down violence, suggesting that giving police better training tools could lead to less crime nationwide.

Biden is shifting his sights after spending his first two years pushing through major bills such as the bipartisan infrastructure package, legislation to promote high-tech manufacturing and climate measures. With Republicans now in control of the House, he is turning his focus to implementing those massive laws and making sure voters credit him for the improvements.

The switch is largely by necessity. The newly empowered GOP is itching to undo many of his achievements and vowing to pursue a multitude of investigations — including looking into the recent discoveries of classified documents from his time as vice president at his home and former office.

At the same time, Biden will need to find a way to work across the aisle to keep the government funded by raising the federal debt limit by this summer. He has insisted that he won’t negotiate on meeting the country’s debt obligations; Republicans have been equally adamant that he must make spending concessions.

On the eve of the president's address, McCarthy challenged Biden to come to the negotiating table with House Republicans to slash spending as part of a deal to raise the debt ceiling.

“We must move towards a balanced budget and insist on genuine accountability for every dollar we spend,” McCarthy said.

While hopes for large-scale bipartisanship are slim, Biden was reissuing his 2022 appeal for Congress to get behind his “unity agenda” of actions to address the opioid epidemic, mental health, veterans’ health and cancer. He was to announce new executive action and call for lawmakers to act to support new measures to support cancer research, address housing needs and suicide among veterans, boost access to mental health care, and move to further crack down on deadly trafficking in fentanyl.

The White House said the president would call for extending the new $35 per month price cap on insulin for people on Medicare to everyone in the country. He would also push Congress to quadruple the 1% tax on corporate share buybacks that was enacted in the Democrats' climate and health care bill passed last year known as the Inflation Reduction Act.

The speech comes days after Biden ordered the military to shoot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon that flew brazenly across the country, captivating the nation and serving as a reminder of tense relations between the two global powers.

Last year's address occurred just days after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine and as many in the West doubted Kyiv’s ability to withstand the onslaught. Over the past year, the U.S. and other allies have sent tens of billions of dollars in military and economic assistance to bolster Ukraine’s defenses. Now, Biden must make the case — both at home and abroad — for sustaining that coalition as the war drags on.

___

AP Congressional Correspondent Lisa Mascaro contributed to this report.

___

Follow AP’s coverage of the State of the Union address at: https://apnews.com/hub/state-of-the-union-address

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Over/under on Kamala’s leaping to her feet?

Brilliantati©
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,220
    Good night for Joe as maga embarrasses themselves on national tv....

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/08/republicans-props-biden-state-of-the-union-00081774

Republicans Turn Themselves into Props for Biden

In a polarized era, the president retains far more power to frame the debate.

Rep Marjorie Taylor Greene R-Ga is seen on the House floor before President Joe Bidens State of the Union address

During President Joe Biden's State of the Union address, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene shouted out at least nine times, by the count of a POLITICO reporter in the gallery, that Biden was a liar. | Francis Chung/POLITICO

For four decades, since Ronald Reagan re-invented the modern State of the Union address, television audiences have become accustomed — arguably to the point of tedium — to presidents putting the spotlight on ordinary Americans invited to the House chamber to be hailed for some extraordinary act.

At last, in 2023, came a new twist on the old ritual. This time, it was ordinary Republicans putting the spotlight on themselves — through extraordinary rudeness. With boos, taunts, groans, and sarcastic chortles, the opposition party effectively turned themselves into prime-time props for President Joseph Biden.

The performance definitely broke through the tedium. Let’s remember to check Biden’s next campaign disclosure forms — the Republican honking amounted to an in-kind contribution, one he sorely needed.

The gift paid dividends at both the stylistic and substantive levels.

Watch: Biden jabs Republicans at State of the Union
    Play Video

In terms of pure theater, the jeers helped Biden come alive.

At the beginning of the address, Biden ambled through the House gallery, an 80-year-old president who didn’t look a day over 80, nor a day under. A politician who overcame a boyhood stutter, yet who has never been particularly strong with formal speeches, had his usual mix of garbled phrases and you-know-what-he-means sentence fragments. Would this be a painful evening?

Soon enough, it became an entertaining one. At least, Biden was having fun, looking at booing Republicans with a smile. He accused “some of my Republican friends” of wanting to “sunset Social Security and Medicare,” even as he acknowledged that, “I am not saying this a majority” who backs a proposal last year from Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.).

Amid shouts of “liar!” Biden responded, “Anybody who doubts it contact my office and I will give you a copy of the proposal.” As audible protests continued, Biden returned the volley, in seemingly spontaneous fashion. “So folks, as we all apparently agree, Social Security and Medicare off the books now, right? All right. We got unanimity.”

Biden booed after claiming some GOP want to sunset Social Security, Medicare
    Play Video

Beyond enlivening the evening, the boisterousness in the gallery was a reminder of something more consequential. Even in a polarized era, the modern presidency gives its occupants unmatched ability to define and hold the political center. This might be easy to forget, after years in which Donald Trump — practicing a politics of contempt aimed mostly at mobilizing supporters —- seemed indifferent to this reality.

Biden, formed by a different era, and advised by veterans of Bill Clinton’s and Barack Obama’s presidencies, was plainly using the speech to achieve more traditional aims. He sought to present himself as a common-sense realist, in touch with the everyday concerns of voters—inviting the opposition to choose between joining him to solve problems or risk being portrayed as obstructionists and extremists. It may not be the most novel of strategies, but for the past couple generations it has been the one that most two-term presidents have followed — typically using State of the Union addresses as major events in making the case.

Biden also showed that it is not such a difficult feat — at least not with the presidential platform — to unify different wings of his party, despite some commentary asserting they are irreconcilable.

No reason they need to be. On policing reform, for instance, Biden introduced the parents of Tyre Nichols — killed in a beating by police in Memphis last month — and trumpeted his proposals to reduce police violence. But he steered far clear of the anti-police rhetoric embraced by some on the left, and exploited by Republicans, after the George Floyd murder in 2020: “I know most cops are good, decent people — the vast majority.”

Biden congratulated new House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, joking that, “I don’t want to ruin your reputation, but I look forward to working with you.” At the same time, he well knew Republicans would have little interest in working with him on proposals to raise taxes on corporations and the wealthy, and to expand government rules on business from everything from drug prices to airline fees.

It’s little wonder that Republicans in the crowd were irritated. The whole evening was evidence that even a president with low approval ratings has a much louder voice and more potent ability to frame the debate than they do.

For the historical-minded, it was also evidence of how standards of decorum are highly fluid. Recall the big fuss in 2009 when Republican Joe Wilson of South Carolina interrupted President Obama’s speech to Congress by shouting, “You lie.” Even many Republicans were embarrassed, and Wilson apologized.

This time, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene shouted out at least nine times, by the count of a POLITICO reporter in the gallery, that Biden was a liar. No one was surprised — certainly not Biden, who recognized an opportunity when it is delivered gift-wrapped before a nationwide audience.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • It was only embarrassing for those who haven't abandoned shame.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    Good speech....the "we need oil for at least a decade" line was awkward but I think everyone knows what he meant. Of course the GOP will go off on that ad nauseam but whatever.

MTG looked and acted like a fucking idiot. Seriously wearing a fur coat?

McCarthy looked like a grandpa keeping kids quiet in church. He kept shushing the magats which just looked stupid as hell.

Once again...a few gaffes, a few stutters, but the old man delivered.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Good speech....the "we need oil for at least a decade" line was awkward but I think everyone knows what he meant. Of course the GOP will go off on that ad nauseam but whatever.

MTG looked and acted like a fucking idiot. Seriously wearing a fur coat?

McCarthy looked like a grandpa keeping kids quiet in church. He kept shushing the magats which just looked stupid as hell.

Once again...a few gaffes, a few stutters, but the old man delivered.

she got a great deal at a thrift store since she is so fucking poor

• Hahahaha

From last night's Letter to an American: 

"Last night, during President Biden’s State of the Union address, House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) complained by tweet that Biden hadn’t mentioned China in the first hour of his speech, suggesting that the president wasn’t taking the issue seriously enough. Today, when CNN’s Manu Raju asked McCarthy if he was okay with New York representative George Santos—the serial liar who is currently under threat of an ethics investigation over where his campaign money came from—attending that classified briefing, McCarthy said, “Yes.”

What a fucking joke. 
    Hahahaha

"Last night, during President Biden’s State of the Union address, House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) complained by tweet that Biden hadn’t mentioned China in the first hour of his speech, suggesting that the president wasn’t taking the issue seriously enough. Today, when CNN’s Manu Raju asked McCarthy if he was okay with New York representative George Santos—the serial liar who is currently under threat of an ethics investigation over where his campaign money came from—attending that classified briefing, McCarthy said, “Yes.”

What a fucking joke. 

tweeting during the speech from the dais......

• mickeyrat said:
    Hahahaha

What a fucking joke. 

tweeting during the speech from the dais......
    While his committee opened hearings the following day on how the Brandon crime family, along with the FBI and Twitter silenced the free speech of conservatives. Yea, what a joke.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    The trap Biden set and sprung on the social security issue was really impressive. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    The trap Biden set and sprung on the social security issue was really impressive. 
    Are you kidding me? Brandon slept walk through that “speech.”

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    Are you doing the fake conservative Stephen Colbert now?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You should have heard the dem representative calling out his repub colleagues on the Brandon crime family committee for basically the same thing. “C’mon guys, which is it? Everyday you take to twitter to criticize President Brandon about how senile he is, or asleep and too old, or incompetent and should be impeached for dereliction of duty and yet you stand before us and the American people today and are trying to convince us that the Brandon crime family is some diabolical mastermind to squash freedom of speech? C’mon, really? What are we doing here today?” Or words to that effect. It’s well worth a watch.

In the next life I want to be Stephen Colbert or David Letterman.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You should have heard the dem representative calling out his repub colleagues on the Brandon crime family committee for basically the same thing. “C’mon guys, which is it? Everyday you take to twitter to criticize President Brandon about how senile he is, or asleep and too old, or incompetent and should be impeached for dereliction of duty and yet you stand before us and the American people today and are trying to convince us that the Brandon crime family is some diabolical mastermind to squash freedom of speech? C’mon, really? What are we doing here today?” Or words to that effect. It’s well worth a watch.

In the next life I want to be Stephen Colbert or David Letterman.
    The irony of their arguments is so thick.  Your example is a great one.  The other is how the democrats are morons,  incapable,  etc. But they are also diabolical that they can steal every election and leave no trace of it.  Trump was powerless to stop it or even identify how it's done.  It's hilarious. 
    I'm not sure where the balloon thread was,  but here's Romney post hearing with the DOD. 

It's what we call "normal". 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3851414-romney-defends-bidens-handling-of-chinese-balloon/
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    As soon as I heard Cotton's "weapon" argument I thought how horrible it would have been to shoot it down over land and possibly release a chemical weapon or worse upon whomever was in its path. What a stupid argument.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville