The Hold Steady

JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
edited August 2011 in Other Music
I've been a fan for about 5 years but I've never seen them live. I'm going to the show tonight and I'm pretty "stoked" about it, as the kids say, especially after reading this about the show last night.

I didn't realize that they aren't touring with a keyboardist until I read that, though. I guess that means the chances of "Teenage Liberation" being on the setlist are pretty much nil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Enjoy. I've been a fan a while as well but I've never even remotely had the option to go.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Saw them at Toads Place in New Haven, CT about a year and a half ago. They put on a kick ass rock show, the lead guitar player is incredibly talented and flat out rocked. You'll have a good time. Enjoy!
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Lucky you, enjoy.
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Fantastic band! Saw them two years ago in a tiny club here in Calgary called the Warehouse. The place only holds maybe 500 people, and it was jam packed. Great show.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I love this band. Saw them about a year ago in a small club as well here in SLC. They were great! They had that place jumpin', rockin', and screamin' all night long.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,234
    Amazing band, very jealous, planning on multiple shows when they next return to the UK. Seen them with and without keyboard player and both were great, Franz was irreplaceable anyway!
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    One of my favourite bands in the planet. Fun music, witty lyrics, and just fucking ROCKS!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Great show. I dug the opening band, too (The Donkeys) and I picked up one of their albums on the way out.

I was a bit surprised that Craig barely played his guitar at all. He didn't even bring it out with him for the encores. The way he used air quotes kinda cracked me up

Subpoenaed in Texas/Sequestered in Memphis/I went there "on business"

Heaven is whenever/we can get together/Lock your bedroom door/and "listen to your records"

I was even more surprised by the Huey Lewis cover.

Setlist:
    Hornets! Hornets!
    Cattle and the Creeping Things
    Barfruit Blues
    We Can Get Together
    The Swish
    Chips Ahoy!
    Stuck Between Stations
    Stevie Nix
    Same Kooks
    You Can Make Him Like You
    Sequestered in Memphis
    Most People are DJs
    Your Little Hoodrat Friend
    Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night
    Constructive Summer
    Southtown Girls
    Encore:
    The Power of Love
    Massive Nights
    Stay Positive
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    JTH wrote:
    Great show. I dug the opening band, too (The Donkeys) and I picked up one of their albums on the way out.

I was a bit surprised that Craig barely played his guitar at all. He didn't even bring it out with him for the encores. The way he used air quotes kinda cracked me up

Subpoenaed in Texas/Sequestered in Memphis/I went there "on business"

Heaven is whenever/we can get together/Lock your bedroom door/and "listen to your records"

I was even more surprised by the Huey Lewis cover.

Setlist:
    Hornets! Hornets!
    Cattle and the Creeping Things
    Barfruit Blues
    We Can Get Together
    The Swish
    Chips Ahoy!
    Stuck Between Stations
    Stevie Nix
    Same Kooks
    You Can Make Him Like You
    Sequestered in Memphis
    Most People are DJs
    Your Little Hoodrat Friend
    Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night
    Constructive Summer
    Southtown Girls
    Encore:
    The Power of Love
    Massive Nights
    Stay Positive

That is bad ass on the Huey cover.

Great setlist too. I will never get tired of "Stuck Between Stations" or "You Can Make Him Like You"
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • I saw them support Counting Crows for 5 nights in different UK cities in 2009 (I think). They still had the cool keyboard player, anyway. I liked the way the bass player drank beer and patted the keyboard player on the head when he wasn't playing. Fun band. I like Sequestered in Memphis, Stay Positive and a song about slapping actresses. I'd be raging if I saw them and they didn't play those three. I think they're all from the same album. The albums prior to that are supposed to be much better, according to some 'real' HS fans I know.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I saw them support Counting Crows for 5 nights in different UK cities in 2009 (I think). They still had the cool keyboard player, anyway. I liked the way the bass player drank beer and patted the keyboard player on the head when he wasn't playing. Fun band. I like Sequestered in Memphis, Stay Positive and a song about slapping actresses. I'd be raging if I saw them and they didn't play those three. I think they're all from the same album. The albums prior to that are supposed to be much better, according to some 'real' HS fans I know.
    Yeah, all those songs are on Stay Positive. I love all five of their albums, but I would not put that one at the top of the list.

I think Separation Sunday is far and away their best but Boys and Girls in America might be the best starting point for anyone who's new to the band.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    JTH wrote:
    I think Separation Sunday is far and away their best but Boys and Girls in America might be the best starting point for anyone who's new to the band.
    i agree on both counts. boys and girls got my attention, separation sunday kept it. craig finn might be my favorite songwriter, or at least lyricist, since westerberg.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    Haven't seen them live in about 12 years or so but won tix to see them tomorrow in Philly. Debating if I want to go by myself or not or at all (can't find anyone to go with yet). It's suppose to be freezing tomorrow night, like single digit numbers. :neutral:

Last album i have of theirs is Teeth Dreams. Might have to get familiar with their new stuff.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    Haven't seen them live in about 12 years or so but won tix to see them tomorrow in Philly. Debating if I want to go by myself or not or at all (can't find anyone to go with yet). It's suppose to be freezing tomorrow night, like single digit numbers. :neutral:

Last album i have of theirs is Teeth Dreams. Might have to get familiar with their new stuff.
    I’d never miss a chance to see them. Open Door Policy was my favourite record of 2021 and I’m really looking forward to The Price of Progress in March.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    The last 2 albums have been phenomenal. Highly recommend them. Seeing them this summer with the Mtn Goats and D4. Can’t wait. THS are the best. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    probably my favorite band.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Fun/good show. Played for almost two hours. Didn't know they had an album coming out in like another month called "Price of Progress" so they played a couple songs off that. Overall good variety of songs

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    I’ve tried to get into them but I just don’t like the way he sings more like he’s talking but maybe live is the way to go! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I’ve tried to get into them but I just don’t like the way he sings more like he’s talking but maybe live is the way to go! 
    yeah i can understand that. One of my friends feels the same way about them actually. To each their own.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Fun/good show. Played for almost two hours. Didn't know they had an album coming out in like another month called "Price of Progress" so they played a couple songs off that. Overall good variety of songs

Well this is pretty cool, they filmed some of this show for a music video for "Sideways Skull" :smile:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    This is pretty cool.

https://reverb.com/news/the-official-hold-steady-reverb-shop-preview

Over the last 20 years, The Hold Steady has released nine studio albums, played countless shows on multiple continents, and built an incredibly passionate fanbase. After two decades as a band, THS is ready for spring cleaning.

On April 19, the band will sell a trailer load of gear in The Official Hold Steady Reverb Shop.

"The Hold Steady has been a band for 20 years now, and over two decades of touring and recording, we have amassed a good deal of musical equipment," said Craig Finn, the band's frontman. "In fact, up until recently, our storage space was overflowing, and not in a good way.

"With the help of Reverb, we're [launching] a THS 20th Anniversary sale where you can buy musical items that we have used throughout the band's life. All this gear has toured and recorded with THS over the years."

Among the gear in the shop is Finn's workhorse Epiphone Acoustic. "This was my at-home guitar for over a decade," the vocalist explained. "I used it to work out his parts on many Hold Steady songs [and] to write all the songs from my five solo albums. The guitar was even featured and photographed in a New York Post article, 'Craig Finn's Favorite Things.'"

Along with Finn's trusty acoustic, the band's shop will also include:

• Guitarist Tad Kubler's Gibson J-100 Acoustic Guitar: "I got this from the Gibson showroom when I was looking for a bigger acoustic guitar to play as we were working on material for the Boys and Girls record," said Kubler. "I went on to play it on the recordings of some classic THS tracks: 'Citrus,' 'First Night,' 'Both Crosses,' and more."
    • A Gibson ES-175 Hollowbody Electric Guitar that Kubler bought after seeing The Cold War Kids use one during their 2007 UK tour. "We thought they sounded great, and the guitarist played a guitar like this one," said Kubler. "I soon went looking for my own, and found this. I wrote the songs 'One for the Cutters' and 'Sweet Part of the City' on this guitar and played it on the recordings for those songs as well."
    • A Silvertone Jupiter Electric Guitar made and sold by Sears in the early '60s. "It lived for a long time in the back lounge of our tour bus and was part of a lot of impromptu songwriting sessions, especially leading into the recording of Stay Positive, which we wrote mostly on the road," said Kubler. "We also made some bus demos using this guitar on the Heaven Is Whenever touring."
    • A Greco Electric Guitar with Bigsby Tremolo—"I got this early 70s Japanese guitar from Steve Schiltz from the band Longwave," said Kubler. "I used it on a number of songs on our Open Door Policy record, and you can specifically hear [me] use the Bigsby tremolo bar on the song 'Hanover Camera.'"
    • Craig Finn's Black Les Paul Jr. - "THS guitar tech Dustin Miller named my alternating guitars after the greatest Minnesota Twins players, and this Les Paul Jr. is affectionately known as 'Rod Carew,'" Finn explained. "It was part of the lineup of guitars I used in both the US and UK/Europe, starting with the Stay Positive tour. This one has seen the sweat and beer that is part of any good THS show, but withstood that punishment to retain a great rich tone and sound."
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)