Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Jason P said:
    I still need to finish the last GOW ... probably only played a few hours, decided I would get back to it, and now the sequel is out.  These games always suck me in, but the button combo systems drive me away.  Fighting games are the same.  I will probably get it just to gawk at it.

I picked up Modern Warfare 2.  The campaign was fun, like being in a Die Hard movie.  I haven't played COD in years.  Still not ready to dip into online modes yet.  I just read that they had $800M in sales in three days.
     For GOW, I agree with the button smashing.  They do tend to cause me to have a bit of a learning curve at first, but the last one was such a brilliant game.  Can't wait for the new one!

I haven't played a COD game in YEARS.  I was never good at multiplayer...decent at best...and I can't imagine how bad I would be now!  haha!
  • Options
    I began God of War last night. It looks amazing, but the first 30 or so minutes is all cinematic (minus some dogsled bit) and you can't skip it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I began God of War last night. It looks amazing, but the first 30 or so minutes is all cinematic (minus some dogsled bit) and you can't skip it. 
    My copy wasn't delivered until around 9PM last night (yeah, I could have downloaded it, but I still like having a disc).  Haven't played it yet, but am looking forward to it.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    My copy wasn't delivered until around 9PM last night (yeah, I could have downloaded it, but I still like having a disc).  Haven't played it yet, but am looking forward to it.
    Yeah it seems like it’s going to be awesome. But the first 20-30 minutes has barely any gameplay. Kind of a calm before the storm I guess. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Got about an hour or so in yesterday.  Really like it.  The controls have taken me a bit to get used to.  I know they aren't (much) different than the last game, but I think the older I get the longer it takes for me to get comfortable with learning new controls.  I've been really impressed with the acting and dialog!  The visuals are incredible as well.  
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Got about an hour or so in yesterday.  Really like it.  The controls have taken me a bit to get used to.  I know they aren't (much) different than the last game, but I think the older I get the longer it takes for me to get comfortable with learning new controls.  I've been really impressed with the acting and dialog!  The visuals are incredible as well.  
    I remapped the controller to be more like the old PS3 games because I hate using the R buttons on top of the controller to strike. I've changed it to......

Square - light attack (default - R1)
    Triangle - heavy attack (default -R2)
    R1 - Summon Axe (default - triangle)
    R2 - Atreus arrows (default - square) 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    I remapped the controller to be more like the old PS3 games because I hate using the R buttons on top of the controller to strike. I've changed it to......

How's that working?  I've gotten a lot better with the controls and the game in general.  I'm probably 5-6 hours in now and it looks like there is still a LOT to do.  A couple parts were a little lackluster or dragged a bit, but this game has been fantastic so far.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited November 2022
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:

How's that working?  I've gotten a lot better with the controls and the game in general.  I'm probably 5-6 hours in now and it looks like there is still a LOT to do.  A couple parts were a little lackluster or dragged a bit, but this game has been fantastic so far.
    Oh it's perfect. It's the pretty much the same button configuration as the old days but with new stuff relegated to R1 and R2. Square-square-triangle has always been the key success in God of War.  You don't have to retrieve the axe too often during battle so relegating that to R1 isn't bad. And using R2 for Atreus' arrows is nice because you can be tapping that throughout the fight while you use square and triangle to use the blades or axe. 

I did this remapping on the 2018 game. It'd be unplayable for me otherwise if I had to use R1 and R2 to strike the entire time. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Just grabbed MLB The Show 22 for $10 at Best Buy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited December 2022
    I'm playing out Persona 5 Royal on game pass xbox ... always heard about this game (one of the best reviewed of all time).  So far I'm impressed.  The art style is amazing and the game is trippy :skull: .   Lots of story setup, but I've heard this is a game that could take 250 hours to finish.  I avoided as JRPG games usually not my thing, but this one has me hooked so far.

I went back and played the most recent God of War to see if I liked it enough to get the new one.  I think my hands and fingers are too old to play action games like this anymore.  Such is life ...
  • Options
    Holy Crap ... Projekt Red did a free next-gen update for The Witcher 3!  It looks amazing on PS5.  Best part is that they added quick casting option which get rids of the radial wheel and makes combat much easier.  60 FPS.  A closer camera view is also a nice addition.  If you own this game and have a next gen system, it is a no-brainer to download immediately.
  • Options
    Just pre-ordered Final Fantasy XVI and super stoked about it.  Game looks incredible. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,852
    Saw an ad for the new Star Wars game, last one was great. That will be my next game :) Seems like I only have time for 1 or 2 a year anymore...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    edited December 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ltYIXh4BQI&t=15s

I made an amazing (to me) discovery last night. For years I have been searching for a haunted house game that I played as a kid in 1974 or so.

I was thinking that it was an electronic board game but when surfing TikTok last night I came across a clip for the Magnavox Odyssey console. The clip didn't show the haunted house game but it mentioned it so I looked it up on youtube and there is fucking is.

I would be interested to play it now but back then it blew my mind. The Odyssey gave you these overlays to put on your TV screen and then you used the controllers to actually play.

I found an unboxed console on ebay for $1500. I won't pay that but it's tempting. This has to be one of the first true home video games.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    GoldenEye has been released on Nintendos online-service and on Xbox' GamePass. 

It's the "original" version. On Nintendo there is online multiplayer with friends. Only local on Xbox.

Sadly it is not the leaked remastered version that Rare made for the Xbox 360 but had to shelve. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Played Goldeneye last night on the Xbox.  Wow, had some memories flash back!   Plays smooth in widescreen format.  Controls are mapped like modern FPS shooters.  Now I just need to find my old college buddies for some local MP. 
  • Options
    Age of Empires 2 is out on Xbox.  Free on gamepass and I think only $20 if not.

They have done a great job of taking a Real Time Strategy game to the console.  By far the best I've experienced.  Controller setup works very well and they put time into it to make sure it worked. They short intro campaign did a good job with acclimating the player to the controls and I don't feel overwhelmed after taking the training wheel off.  Worth getting if you are looking to finally play a good RTS from your couch and I great trip if you played this game 20 years ago.  There is enough campaigns to keep you busy for a long time, but skirmish mode has tons of replay as well.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Jason P said:
    Age of Empires 2 is out on Xbox.  Free on gamepass and I think only $20 if not.

They have done a great job of taking a Real Time Strategy game to the console.  By far the best I've experienced.  Controller setup works very well and they put time into it to make sure it worked. They short intro campaign did a good job with acclimating the player to the controls and I don't feel overwhelmed after taking the training wheel off.  Worth getting if you are looking to finally play a good RTS from your couch and I great trip if you played this game 20 years ago.  There is enough campaigns to keep you busy for a long time, but skirmish mode has tons of replay as well.
    I played the hell out on the Age of Empires games back in the day, especially Age of Mythology.  May get it for nostalgia.  I need a break from Battlefield 2042 and COD anyway.
  • Options
    Anyone getting or has gotten the PSVR2?  I had the original PSVR, and while it was ok, I never played it much.  The set up was a pain in the ass!  The new one looks pretty cool.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    I can't believe I've bought LOU Part 1 three times now.
  • Options
    Hahaha!  Original, remastered, PS5?
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Hahaha!  Original, remastered, PS5?
    Correct. Ugh.

But had to do it.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Anyone getting or has gotten the PSVR2?  I had the original PSVR, and while it was ok, I never played it much.  The set up was a pain in the ass!  The new one looks pretty cool.

I would like to try it out on gran turismo 7, but I'm not about to shell out $550(!) for it not knowing if it will give me motion sickness.   If it was $300, I might consider it.  I'm waiting to see people's reviews as well ... GT Planet is a forum for the game and most reviews are positive, but some are noting a few issues.   It would help if GT7 actually would add races for single player too.  Sony has really kind of screwed up that game by not having races for a majority of the cars I collected, but it is still the best racing game I've played.

Right now they have added temporary races against SOPHY AI cars (sony's new AI that is in development).  They race a ton better than the existing AI drivers.  I hope they replace the existing AI with SOPHY, but I'm not holding my breath.  Updates for the game have been disappointing coming up on the one year anniversary.

Maybe in a year or two, if Sony develops a decent game catalog and drops the price, I will give it a shot.  But racing in front of a big screen TV is pretty good immersion for me at the moment.
  • Options
    I appreciate the quality of The Last of Us, but the bummer of a story kept me from playing it when first released.   Needed to play some Mario Bros. afterwards to cleanse myself ;)  Not a huge zombie guy either, so it's just not in my wheelhouse.

I still have a huge backlog of games to dive into.  I've been playing my Nintendo Switch quite a bit lately.   Got Metroid Prime remake and played a little last week.   I still need to jump into Breath of the Wild ... I got frustrated with the controls and fragile weapons when it first came out and shelved it, but played it a little last week and will try to give it another shot.  Only have 4 hearts so I'm really not for from the start.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I appreciate the quality of The Last of Us, but the bummer of a story kept me from playing it when first released.   Needed to play some Mario Bros. afterwards to cleanse myself ;)  Not a huge zombie guy either, so it's just not in my wheelhouse.

I hear ya. IMO it's the perfect game, absolutely flawless.

What's funny is I'm not a huge zombie guy either but I can sort this in my brain as not a zombie game, if that makes sense - I like the pandemic/apocalyptic perspective of it.

And for the bummer aspect - it's like when someone has kids. Sometimes people can't watch shit like that after having kids, which I get. Definitely tugs at the heart more than before having kids.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I still have a huge backlog of games to dive into.  I've been playing my Nintendo Switch quite a bit lately.   Got Metroid Prime remake and played a little last week.   I still need to jump into Breath of the Wild ... I got frustrated with the controls and fragile weapons when it first came out and shelved it, but played it a little last week and will try to give it another shot.  Only have 4 hearts so I'm really not for from the start.
    I'd love to see if your impression of Breath of the Wild changes if you put some time into it.  I wasn't all that impressed at first, but eventually it took me over and I loved it immensely. Can't wait for the next Zelda to drop, already got PTO on the books for it!  Followed by Final Fantasy 16 in June, and it's safe to say I won't be getting a tan this year. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I'd love to see if your impression of Breath of the Wild changes if you put some time into it.  I wasn't all that impressed at first, but eventually it took me over and I loved it immensely. Can't wait for the next Zelda to drop, already got PTO on the books for it!  Followed by Final Fantasy 16 in June, and it's safe to say I won't be getting a tan this year. 

I played it some this weekend, and although the game started to draw me in, it was the weapon degradation that pulled me back out ... I think that is why I stopped playing originally.   I found myself just going on mad dashes through missions instead of taking time to plan strategy.   When you have five weapons and and they all break within a matter of minutes, what else can you do?  I don't know, I think my time will be better spent diving back into Elden Ring unless there is some glitch to get tons of weapons easily in my inventory.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    One of my friends is working on Starfield. Here's the trailer/launch date for it

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

I think i remember getting excited about this announcement on Starfield last year about this time.  Hopefully it makes it out this year.
  • Options

MLB The Show 23 Brief Impressions:

Thanks to Game Pass, I have The Show 23.  The game looks about the same … minor details and animations make it look better, but nothing revolutionary.   They are much more generous with cards for Diamond Dynasty, giving 99 rated cards right away instead of waiting until late summer (there are now “Seasons” which google if you want to find out how they work).  It is also easy to get free cards doing Moments … My team is already all 90 diamonds after doing 3-4 hours of grinding in Moments.  Hitting is better, although a future update could change that … last year it was great, then update bad, update good and unfortunately the last update was bad so I stopped playing The Show 22 late last year.  There is a DH now, so no more pitcher subs in the lineup.  There is a “bat” PCI indicator now that really helps me understand the bat path.   Commentary will probably be turned off by the weekend as it is about the same from last year.  So if you have Game Pass it is a no-brainer.  I don’t think I would spend $70 on it though if I had The Show 22.