Options

Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    NEweather said:
    i just found i had these in an old tool  box of all places. 
     Ur so lucky to have this set list! 
    I have a spare Brixton  if you want it?
    Oh Wow! Thankyou for the offer! Just read this- my daughter's birthday so been away from the forums. Very cool of you- 
  • Options
    NEweather said:
    NEweather said:
    i just found i had these in an old tool  box of all places. 
     Ur so lucky to have this set list! 
    I have a spare Brixton  if you want it?
    Oh Wow! Thankyou for the offer! Just read this- my daughter's birthday so been away from the forums. Very cool of you- 
    Just pm me an address i will try post it out
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mrezoocmrezooc Posts: 123
    At the Hamilton show last night my nephew scored a tambourine. Eddie gave him the 1,2,3 countdown then tossed it. A girl went overtop of him and grabbed it from him. JK saw it, walked behind Matt, grabbed one and brought it over to him. Made his night. Thanks JK. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Awesome! Great memory for both of you. Thanks for revising a great thread. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mrezooc said:
    At the Hamilton show last night my nephew scored a tambourine. Eddie gave him the 1,2,3 countdown then tossed it. A girl went overtop of him and grabbed it from him. JK saw it, walked behind Matt, grabbed one and brought it over to him. Made his night. Thanks JK. 
    Glad your nephew got one.  Never will understand adults trying to take things that were to be given to kids.  Whether a tambourine or a baseball... don't be that guy/girl.  That kid's smile in the photo above says it all. :)
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    edited September 2022
    Beautiful  ending . Similar  to in vienna a guy  took a tambo  ed counted and tossed into  my hands.. then ed sent  back and got another and handed  it to me. Some people  are dicks.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Glad to see this back.  Have to think if there are any more stories worth telling. 
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2022
    mrezooc said:
    Glad your nephew got one.  Never will understand adults trying to take things that were to be given to kids.  Whether a tambourine or a baseball... don't be that guy/girl.  That kid's smile in the photo above says it all. :)
    The smile on your nephew's face really DOES tell the whole story, that is so sweet and so cool! Glad JK and Ed were looking out for him with that tamborine!

Crazy that this point about adults who take things away from kids are such jerks (which they are)comes up as this thread is resurrected - my prized new item has that consideration around it... During deep lockdown when there were zero live shows happening with audiences, I discovered the great punk band of girls The Linda Lindas. I vowed to see them and 1 other band once shows started again, and have now seen the Linda Lindas twice and took my 13 yr old daughter to the 2nd show (Linda Lindas are between 11 -17 yrs old, their drummer was 11, now 12!)

Both times I saw them, I REALLY wanted a drum stick because their 11yr old drummer IS SO AWESOME, but after the show all the kids in audience (who were front row mostly) crowded up to get picks, setlists and drumsticks and I felt SO lame thinking about trying cuz... yeah, felt wrong. So didn't go up.  But I really wanted one! The roadies are the fathers of 3 of the 4 girls, so when one walked by me I said "Love that you give the sticks & picks to the kids. I'm a middle aged mom. Any drumsticks you forgot to hand out?" and he got back onstage, looked around, found a pair, and gave one to me and one to another parent :) My own kid just wanted the t-shirt that says "We rebuild what you destroy" on it, so of course she got that.

So my most recent prized possession is a Linda Linda's stick! But I asked nicely after the kids were taken care of =)  Mila's stick now joins Questlove's and Topper Headon's & a few others.

[I'm at work, so just posting a pic I sent a friend of a bunch of random stuff I just found in a box in basement last week, all of which also fits this thread but the drumstick was the new item]

Also here:
    1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs faces handed out at an instore in like 2006 at a record store (which is perfect cuz taking my teen daughter to see the Linda Lindas open for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs next month!!! SO EXCITED!)
    2. Spearhead guest pass from one of their 1st ever tours
    3. Faith No More backstage pass for Coachella, crazy thing is I CANNOT REMEMBER who gave this to me, cuz I don't think I know anyone in Faith No More. I did know another band on the bill so this just let me find them and get a passes for my friends. But i know FNM was a great set and backstage at Coachella is like being in a reality show, so that was wild.
    4. Soul Asylum pass from "Runaway Train" tour (or the album that was on). One show I saw was really opposite order in terms of excellence of band: Spin Doctors headlining, then Soul Asylum, then Screaming Trees as very 1st band/lowest on lineup. But the Screaming Trees live... so f'ing great! And Soul Asylum were fantastic live too. Hung out with Wynona Ryder a bit at that show cuz she was dating Dave Pirner.
    5. Waterboys pass from NYC Beacon Theater, Fisherman's Blues tour in like '89!! Those were incredible shows too... probably missed classes for that trip =)

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    OK. I have a very long story that I have been wanting to post for while. I have told it to a few people on here already, but after reading some of these stories, I decided to post mine as well. In 1996 the Who played six nights of their Quadrophenia show at MSG. I had tickets to see one of them. After that show through a chain of events that started with me randomly meeting one of the lighting guys and ending up with me meeting Pete Townshend's brother Paul, I got a backstage pass for their final night's shows (courtesy of Paul Townshend). I watched the entire show from the soundboard with Roger Daltrey's daughers. It was a great show. After it was over, I went backstage and met Pete Townshend. He was my hero at the time, and I was completely in shock. He was nice enough to sign my ticket and take a photo with me using my 35mm film camera that I brought. I also got one of his picks. That would have been enough. However, a few people I met backstage invited me to go to a bar with them around the corner. We get to the bar and at this big table are a bunch of people including Pete Townshend, and Eddie Vedder. I sat down at the table and could not say a word. I was really tongue tied. After about 20 minutes Pete stood up and said his goodbyes, but the rest of us stayed. I told Paul that I was a fan of Pearl Jam. So, he brought be over to Eddie and introduced me. At that point, Eddie was sitting at one of those high bar tables with the stools. He told me to have a seat. Paul walked away and I sat and talked with Eddie for about 20 minutes. He was really nice. I was working on my doctoral dissertation at the time and he asked me to tell him about it. After a while, word got out that he was there and the bar got really crowded. People were coming up to our table and asking him to sign things. He did it for a while, then I could tell he was getting over it. I was still sitting there the whole time.

The bar was getting ready to close and John Entwhistle's girlfriend (who I had met earlier) invited us all back to their hotel suite (at the Riga Royal hotel - which is no longer around). John was not at the bar, so I hadn't seen him yet. Anyway, we all go back to the suite (which was bigger than my apartment), and had an after party. At one point I found myself in the kitchen with Eddie Vedder and some other guy smoking a joint and talking about the Beach Boys. It was all so surreal. John Entwhistle was really drunk and passed out under the dining room table. At around 7:00am his girlfriend kicked us all out. I gave Eddie a hug goodbye and told him how much I loved his music and meeting him. I then asked him if I could get a photo with him since I was still carrying around my camera. He said I didn't need a photo and tapped me on the head and said all the photos I need were right there. I guess that was his way of saying NO!! you can't take my photo. Of course I respected it. No cell phones then to sneakily take any photos. I only had that big film camera.

After that I had to go to work, but was high on adrenaline for a long time. When I was at work I sent my friend in Prague a long email detailing the entire night. I am sure that email has more details than I remember here. He did print out the email since he thought it was so cool. Every so often I ask him if he can find it. He thinks he still has it, but is not sure where it is. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my story on what was one of the greatest nights of my life.
    Hey GlowGirl thought of you because I was looking for an old email description of a show and remembered this story of yours. May be a dumb question but why doesn't your friend in Prague just put a few keywords like "Townsend" into his email search? I know how it feels to find an account of something written right after it happened, and realizing years later how much you forgot. So thought of your situation :)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    mrezooc said:
    The smile on your nephew's face really DOES tell the whole story, that is so sweet and so cool! Glad JK and Ed were looking out for him with that tamborine!

Crazy that this point about adults who take things away from kids are such jerks (which they are)comes up as this thread is resurrected - my prized new item has that consideration around it... During deep lockdown when there were zero live shows happening with audiences, I discovered the great punk band of girls The Linda Lindas. I vowed to see them and 1 other band once shows started again, and have now seen the Linda Lindas twice and took my 13 yr old daughter to the 2nd show (Linda Lindas are between 11 -17 yrs old, their drummer was 11, now 12!)

Both times I saw them, I REALLY wanted a drum stick because their 11yr old drummer IS SO AWESOME, but after the show all the kids in audience (who were front row mostly) crowded up to get picks, setlists and drumsticks and I felt SO lame thinking about trying cuz... yeah, felt wrong. So didn't go up.  But I really wanted one! The roadies are the fathers of 3 of the 4 girls, so when one walked by me I said "Love that you give the sticks & picks to the kids. I'm a middle aged mom. Any drumsticks you forgot to hand out?" and he got back onstage, looked around, found a pair, and gave one to me and one to another parent :) My own kid just wanted the t-shirt that says "We rebuild what you destroy" on it, so of course she got that.

So my most recent prized possession is a Linda Linda's stick! But I asked nicely after the kids were taken care of =)  Mila's stick now joins Questlove's and Topper Headon's & a few others.

[I'm at work, so just posting a pic I sent a friend of a bunch of random stuff I just found in a box in basement last week, all of which also fits this thread but the drumstick was the new item]

Also here:
    1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs faces handed out at an instore in like 2006 at a record store (which is perfect cuz taking my teen daughter to see the Linda Lindas open for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs next month!!! SO EXCITED!)
    3. Faith No More backstage pass for Coachella, crazy thing is I CANNOT REMEMBER who gave this to me, cuz I don't think I know anyone in Faith No More. I did know another band on the bill so this just let me find them and get a passes for my friends. But i know FNM was a great set and backstage at Coachella is like being in a reality show, so that was wild.
    4. Soul Asylum pass from "Runaway Train" tour (or the album that was on). One show I saw was really opposite order in terms of excellence of band: Spin Doctors headlining, then Soul Asylum, then Screaming Trees as very 1st band/lowest on lineup. But the Screaming Trees live... so f'ing great! And Soul Asylum were fantastic live too. Hung out with Wynona Ryder a bit at that show cuz she was dating Dave Pirner.
    5. Waterboys pass from NYC Beacon Theater, Fisherman's Blues tour in like '89!! Those were incredible shows too... probably missed classes for that trip =)

Those face pics look like they came fresh off the MAPS video!

That Soul Asylum pass looks like from the album Soul Asylum and the Horse they rode in on.  1990/91 sound about right?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    mrezooc said:

Also here:

Those face pics look like they came fresh off the MAPS video!

That Soul Asylum pass looks like from the album Soul Asylum and the Horse they rode in on.  1990/91 sound about right?
    Bingo! That's exactly what Soul Asylum album/tour it was! Hey are you a fan of theirs? I gotta say one of my top maybe most favorite bits of promo items are some cocktail napkins that were also in that box with SA multiple choice questions on them from a record release event, and I find them hysterical! I was going to scan them, if you're a fan I'll send them to you. I never forgot them and was happy to find them. Funny guys!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Very cool JH. I was still in my dead head phase when all of that went down.  I barely recognize the bands LOL.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    JH6056 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    OK. I have a very long story that I have been wanting to post for while. I have told it to a few people on here already, but after reading some of these stories, I decided to post mine as well. In 1996 the Who played six nights of their Quadrophenia show at MSG. I had tickets to see one of them. After that show through a chain of events that started with me randomly meeting one of the lighting guys and ending up with me meeting Pete Townshend's brother Paul, I got a backstage pass for their final night's shows (courtesy of Paul Townshend). I watched the entire show from the soundboard with Roger Daltrey's daughers. It was a great show. After it was over, I went backstage and met Pete Townshend. He was my hero at the time, and I was completely in shock. He was nice enough to sign my ticket and take a photo with me using my 35mm film camera that I brought. I also got one of his picks. That would have been enough. However, a few people I met backstage invited me to go to a bar with them around the corner. We get to the bar and at this big table are a bunch of people including Pete Townshend, and Eddie Vedder. I sat down at the table and could not say a word. I was really tongue tied. After about 20 minutes Pete stood up and said his goodbyes, but the rest of us stayed. I told Paul that I was a fan of Pearl Jam. So, he brought be over to Eddie and introduced me. At that point, Eddie was sitting at one of those high bar tables with the stools. He told me to have a seat. Paul walked away and I sat and talked with Eddie for about 20 minutes. He was really nice. I was working on my doctoral dissertation at the time and he asked me to tell him about it. After a while, word got out that he was there and the bar got really crowded. People were coming up to our table and asking him to sign things. He did it for a while, then I could tell he was getting over it. I was still sitting there the whole time.

The bar was getting ready to close and John Entwhistle's girlfriend (who I had met earlier) invited us all back to their hotel suite (at the Riga Royal hotel - which is no longer around). John was not at the bar, so I hadn't seen him yet. Anyway, we all go back to the suite (which was bigger than my apartment), and had an after party. At one point I found myself in the kitchen with Eddie Vedder and some other guy smoking a joint and talking about the Beach Boys. It was all so surreal. John Entwhistle was really drunk and passed out under the dining room table. At around 7:00am his girlfriend kicked us all out. I gave Eddie a hug goodbye and told him how much I loved his music and meeting him. I then asked him if I could get a photo with him since I was still carrying around my camera. He said I didn't need a photo and tapped me on the head and said all the photos I need were right there. I guess that was his way of saying NO!! you can't take my photo. Of course I respected it. No cell phones then to sneakily take any photos. I only had that big film camera.

After that I had to go to work, but was high on adrenaline for a long time. When I was at work I sent my friend in Prague a long email detailing the entire night. I am sure that email has more details than I remember here. He did print out the email since he thought it was so cool. Every so often I ask him if he can find it. He thinks he still has it, but is not sure where it is. Anyway, thanks for letting me share my story on what was one of the greatest nights of my life.
    Hey GlowGirl thought of you because I was looking for an old email description of a show and remembered this story of yours. May be a dumb question but why doesn't your friend in Prague just put a few keywords like "Townsend" into his email search? I know how it feels to find an account of something written right after it happened, and realizing years later how much you forgot. So thought of your situation :)
    That would be a good idea. But he doesn't have the same email he did in 1996. It's ok. I remember it well enough like it was yesterday!!

• Options
    ImgonnalounickImgonnalounick Milwaukee Posts: 45
    In 2006 I was driving my 1975 El Dorado down Water Street in Milwaukee and taking his walk before the Petty/PJ shows at Summerfest was Mike. I quickly pulled over 100 yards ahead of him and asked him for an autograph. He kindly obliged and we talked about the car behind us before the picture below was snapped. Great guy, he wanted to take my car for a spin, but i think common sense kicked in and he said he better not. He did sign multiple autographs and I requested a song to plat at the show that evening!!!  What an experience and great guitarist!!!!!

Fat Lou Milwaukee

• Options
    @Imgonnalounick - Awesome pic and story! Thanks for sharing. Mike seems like the baddest most kind sincere person out there.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    In 2006 I was driving my 1975 El Dorado down Water Street in Milwaukee and taking his walk before the Petty/PJ shows at Summerfest was Mike. I quickly pulled over 100 yards ahead of him and asked him for an autograph. He kindly obliged and we talked about the car behind us before the picture below was snapped. Great guy, he wanted to take my car for a spin, but i think common sense kicked in and he said he better not. He did sign multiple autographs and I requested a song to plat at the show that evening!!!  What an experience and great guitarist!!!!!

Fat Lou Milwaukee

Great story, and great car!

Didja ever consider if you'd let Mike test drive it and he never came back, you'd have an even more momentous story "Pearl Jam stole my convertible!"?  Just sayin'....  =)
  • Options
    ImgonnalounickImgonnalounick Milwaukee Posts: 45
    Haaaa no, but love it.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Some of you may have read my story in this thread about meeting Ed in 1996 after a Who concert. I mentioned that I had sent an email with all the details of that night that I couldn’t find. Well, I was cleaning out some stuff and I just found a printout of the email. My experience was even better than I remembered it. I took photos of the email to share here. It is a bit long, but if you have time - check it out. I am so happy I found it. All the memories came flooding back. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    Outstanding! @GlowGirl What an awesome experience - thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Darn GG. It was like I was there. Thanks for sharing. Super darn cool. It's so funny. We are just all people. Some just touch peoples' souls..we all can be that. Very awesome! Likely surreal AF then & now.
  • Options

Fat Lou Milwaukee

Super awesome! I heart MM. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Loujoe said:
    Darn GG. It was like I was there. Thanks for sharing. Super darn cool. It's so funny. We are just all people. Some just touch peoples' souls..we all can be that. Very awesome! Likely surreal AF then & now.
    Thanks. I still can’t believe I found that email printout. It goes to show that every once in a while I need to go through all my crap and do a big deep cleaning. It was surreal just reading it.  I remembered the big details but not the small ones like doing a shot of Jameson with Eddie or him grabbing my hand a few times as we spoke. I still wish I had a photo but I am so glad I documented it in writing - even with all the typos. 
  • Options
    £10 wow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    How it should always be.
  • Options
    Were you there Rob? Any memories of show you care to share. 
    Earliest pj show I saw was 92 I think and my only memory was handing off my corduroy jacket and jumping in the pit for ritfw. Didn't even really know or care about pj back then. Pretty sure ev saw my jacket and got one for himself. Honestly I don't know where it went. Maybe he took it :)
    I wish I could go back and try to snag some picks. At least pay more attention to what was going on. The youth is wasted on the young. Some dumb stuff like that. I love my life.
  • Options
    I was,  it was 2 days after my 18th birthday . My vivid  memory  was that  there were so many stage divers and crowd surfers. At that time jeff had a full set of basketball figures  all along his amp
     Some knuckle head jumped on stage and grabbed  one/some and dived back into the crowd and jeff was PISSED OFF. Thats all i remember.!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Ahh! Sounds like a blast. Yes I would never steal. (Maybe a pile of picks)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836

£10 wow

Loujoe said:
    How it should always be.

Indeed! 
  • Options
    stage used at Wembley supporting  the who.
    Eds writting hand written on. 
    Long story 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    Very cool - love to read the story if you want to share!