MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited December 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.
    No he wanted out.  He didn't even give the Mets a chance to counter.  He just signed.

So, the F U to DeGrom is to give Verlander all that money.
    He got more guaranteed years and money. I think it's pretty easy to figure out. Verlander is getting less money than DeGrom, even if his 3rd year vests.
    Again...  He NEVER, Degrom, gave the Meats a chance to counter.  He took the Rangers deal and ran out of town.  DeGrom did not want to be in NY anymore.  That is pretty easy to figure out.
    The Mets gave less money to Justin Verlander than Jacob deGrom received from the Texas Rangers.
    Only because of his age. JV getting more per year
    Right - and vice versa JV would not get 5 years at that AAV. At the end of the day deGrom got more guaranteed money, which is dependent on years, which the Mets were obviously not going to do.
    If he was 34 he might. They gave Scherzer $43 million a year for 3 at 37 years old.
    Most likely. I'm sure the Mets would have been fine giving deGrom the Scherzer deal. The Mets are fine paying guys higher AAVs for less years, especially those with a sketchy injury history. Scherzer's 3/129 isn't the 5/185 deGrom got. Point I'm making is the idea that deGrom high tailed it out of New York because he wanted out of New York is nonsensical. He high tailed it out of New York because evidently no one else was giving more guaranteed money to a guy that hasn't been able to stay healthy, other than the Rangers.

DeGrom has a sixth year vest and Verlander a third. Both have injury concerns. That deGrom announcement in spring training that he was exercising his FA option seemed like a big FU to the Mets at the time. Reporters weren’t even there to ask him that, it was supposed to be a meet and greet all the stars at spring training, not just with him.

as incredible as it was to watch him pitch for the Mets for so many years, he never got run support and his win/loss record is abysmal for a certain hall of famer. The Mets won alot of games this year with minimal help from deGrom. It seems impossible the same pitcher never got any run support year in year out. Either he wowed his own batters to sleep with his an amazing stuff or he wasn’t a rally hat guy in the dugout, or both. Hope he gets it with Texas.

After 30 years being lied to by the Wilpon’s about the team budget, it’s really weird to have such a wealthy owner looking to spend spend spend.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    So obviously the Mets didn't want to pay for DeGrom for more than three years at most.
    No he wanted out.  He didn't even give the Mets a chance to counter.  He just signed.

He got more guaranteed years and money. I think it's pretty easy to figure out. Verlander is getting less money than DeGrom, even if his 3rd year vests.
    Again...  He NEVER, Degrom, gave the Meats a chance to counter.  He took the Rangers deal and ran out of town.  DeGrom did not want to be in NY anymore.  That is pretty easy to figure out.
    The Mets gave less money to Justin Verlander than Jacob deGrom received from the Texas Rangers.
    Right - and vice versa JV would not get 5 years at that AAV. At the end of the day deGrom got more guaranteed money, which is dependent on years, which the Mets were obviously not going to do.
    If he was 34 he might. They gave Scherzer $43 million a year for 3 at 37 years old.
    Most likely. I'm sure the Mets would have been fine giving deGrom the Scherzer deal. The Mets are fine paying guys higher AAVs for less years, especially those with a sketchy injury history. Scherzer's 3/129 isn't the 5/185 deGrom got. Point I'm making is the idea that deGrom high tailed it out of New York because he wanted out of New York is nonsensical. He high tailed it out of New York because evidently no one else was giving more guaranteed money to a guy that hasn't been able to stay healthy, other than the Rangers.
    It's all over the news that he wanted out of NY, so not sure why it's nonsensical when every beat writer knows he wanted out.  You're the only one that sees it different, go figure?
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

DeGrom has a sixth year vest and Verlander a third. Both have injury concerns. That deGrom announcement in spring training that he was exercising his FA option seemed like a big FU to the Mets at the time. Reporters weren’t even there to ask him that, it was supposed to be a meet and greet all the stars at spring training, not just with him.

as incredible as it was to watch him pitch for the Mets for so many years, he never got run support and his win/loss record is abysmal for a certain hall of famer. The Mets won alot of games this year with minimal help from deGrom. It seems impossible the same pitcher never got any run support year in year out. Either he wowed his own batters to sleep with his an amazing stuff or he wasn’t a rally hat guy in the dugout, or both. Hope he gets it with Texas.

After 30 years being lied to by the Wilpon’s about the team budget, it’s really weird to have such a wealthy owner looking to spend spend spend.

The only other HOF pitcher with less run support was Sandy Koufax.  He used to come into the dugout after the first inning and say " I need 1, I need 1."

And you're right about the Wilpons, every Met fan I know is excited on the possibilities going forward with Cohen as owner.  The Wilpons didn't go quietly either, lol.  They wanted to retain control of the team for a few years and keep their SNY broadcast.  They had stones to ask for that.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

It's all over the news that he wanted out of NY, so not sure why it's nonsensical when every beat writer knows he wanted out.  You're the only one that sees it different, go figure?
    There was literally nothing of the sort outside of him expressing that he was opting out of his deal. Which is in no way a shocker that a professional baseball player elected to make more money. Which he did.
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

There was literally nothing of the sort outside of him expressing that he was opting out of his deal. Which is in no way a shocker that a professional baseball player elected to make more money. Which he did.
    He never gave the Mets a chance to counter to even see if he could get more money... 

Which the Mets were fine with it seems.  They knew he didn't want to be in NY anymore.  No taxes in Texas.  he will have some good generational wealth.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited December 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

He never gave the Mets a chance to counter to even see if he could get more money... 

Which the Mets were fine with it seems.  They knew he didn't want to be in NY anymore.  No taxes in Texas.  he will have some good generational wealth.

Met beat reporters were hinting the team was hesitant also, and when they became one of the JV frontrunners they were intrigued with a scherzer reunion. It’s very possible Jake was sick of NYwhich makes me worry Nimmo is gone. Rumors are it’s going to take $150 to sign him. He is a great player, but that much cash for a lead off hitter who doesn’t steal bases with the new rules next year? Nimmo may be gone.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Met beat reporters were hinting the team was hesitant also, and when they became one of the JV frontrunners they were intrigued with a scherzer reunion. It’s very possible Jake was sick of NYwhich makes me worry Nimmo is gone. Rumors are it’s going to take $150 to sign him. He is a great player, but that much cash for a lead off hitter who doesn’t steal bases with the new rules next year? Nimmo may be gone.
    He's a homegrown player too.  Not sure why he would want to leave also as he is LOVED by the Mets fans.  Dude is always smiling.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Giants don’t need judge….they got mitch haniger!

I had him confused with someone else (on the Reds?) but apparently he’s pretty good when healthy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:

I had him confused with someone else (on the Reds?) but apparently he’s pretty good when healthy.
    I had someone want to sell me some Mitch Haniger cards yesterday.  I told him no but I'd sell you some, lol!
  • Judge 9 years 360 million. resigns w the Yankees.
  • Kenley Jansen to the Red Sox?  That will be interesting to see what else they do.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Kenley Jansen to the Red Sox?  That will be interesting to see what else they do.
    Looks like they may re-sign Xander as well
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,714
    Judge 9 years 360 million. resigns w the Yankees.

I was kinda shocked by this, in a good way.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    edited December 2022
    On Feb. 16, 1989, the Los Angeles Dodgers signed Orel Hershiser to a record-setting three-year, $7.9 million contract extension.

Remember this....$2.63M/year was unheard of 33 years ago!

Now Judge is getting $40M per year.

Crazy!
  • Any mention of Hershiser reminds me of the funniest shit-talk from a fan I've ever heard. It was a Phillies game at Veterans stadium in 1998 when Hershiser was with the Giants. I was in the 3rd row behind the visitors' dugout. As he walks towards the on-deck circle, a fan behind me yells "OF COURSE YOUR NAME IS OREL CAUSE YOU FUCKING SUCK DICK!" 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Wobbie said:

I had someone want to sell me some Mitch Haniger cards yesterday.  I told him no but I'd sell you some, lol!
    thanks, but I’m good.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Any mention of Hershiser reminds me of the funniest shit-talk from a fan I've ever heard. It was a Phillies game at Veterans stadium in 1998 when Hershiser was with the Giants. I was in the 3rd row behind the visitors' dugout. As he walks towards the on-deck circle, a fan behind me yells "OF COURSE YOUR NAME IS OREL CAUSE YOU FUCKING SUCK DICK!" 

apropos of that...

I get a lot of baseball memorabilia auction catalogs. one I got recently had a document from mickey mantle...years ago, the yankees sent questionnaires to their players, asking about their most memorable event at the stadium...mickey mantle (of course) referenced a blow job he received under the right field stands. to paraphrase, "she was a nice girl. she asked me what she could do with the cum in her mouth. I answered, 'how should I know? I'm no cocksucker'" :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    This is an all ages forum, old man. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Wobbie said:
    Any mention of Hershiser reminds me of the funniest shit-talk from a fan I've ever heard. It was a Phillies game at Veterans stadium in 1998 when Hershiser was with the Giants. I was in the 3rd row behind the visitors' dugout. As he walks towards the on-deck circle, a fan behind me yells "OF COURSE YOUR NAME IS OREL CAUSE YOU FUCKING SUCK DICK!" 

apropos of that...

I get a lot of baseball memorabilia auction catalogs. one I got recently had a document from mickey mantle...years ago, the yankees sent questionnaires to their players, asking about their most memorable event at the stadium...mickey mantle (of course) referenced a blow job he received under the right field stands. to paraphrase, "she was a nice girl. she asked me what she could do with the cum in her mouth. I answered, 'how should I know? I'm no cocksucker'" :lol:
    I posted that on the Yankees thread
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

apropos of that...

Don Mattingly or Babe Ruth both in their primes....who you taking?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    On Feb. 16, 1989, the Los Angeles Dodgers signed Orel Hershiser to a record-setting three-year, $7.9 million contract extension.

Remember this....$2.63M/year was unheard of 33 years ago!

Now Judge is getting $40M per year.

Crazy!
    I remember when Canseco was the first $4M man in 1990.  Bobby Bonilla became the first $5M man two years later.  Albert Belle was the first to eclipse $10M in 1997.  It took 17 years to go from $1M (Nolan Ryan, 1980) to $10M.  Only 25 years to quadruple that.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

apropos of that...

Huh.
    Greg frigging Nettles.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,175
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

apropos of that...

Certainly not the guy whose body was built by hot dogs and beer.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    padres do not yet inspire my dodgers level of hate….but they’ve getting there!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    padres do not yet inspire my dodgers level of hate….but they’ve getting there!
    https://youtu.be/hE5nYDxwXbA
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,175
    ^ Trailer for the sequel to "White Men Can't Jump", titled "Lame Old White Dudes Shouldn't Rap"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

thanks, but I’m good.
    Not you, you tadpole, the person that wanted to sell to me!!!
  • So Padres got Xander.  That means they move Tatis to OF and Abrahms over to 2nd?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    So Padres got Xander.  That means they move Tatis to OF and Abrahms over to 2nd?
    Move Kim to 2nd?
  • cutz said:
    So Padres got Xander.  That means they move Tatis to OF and Abrahms over to 2nd?
    Move Kim to 2nd?
    I figure CJ Abrahms is their future.  Then theres Croneworth though at 2nd.  He's not a bad player by any means.

I'm very curious on what they do.