NETFLIX STREAMING FINDS

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2022
    23scidoo said:
    1899  on Twitter The first official 1899 poster   httpstcoV5MXBieWj6  Twitter

Just finished the season. I LOVED it. There is a making of feature at the end too - they are hoping to make 2 more seasons, if Netflix bites. I hope they do. IMPORTANT POINT: Make sure you change the language setting to original English! Do NOT watch it on the default setting, which is dubbed English. It will ruin it completely, and not just because the dubbing on the foreign language parts sucks (it really does). It won't make sense because the fact that people are speaking different languages to each other and not necessarily understanding each other is a part of the storyline/script. If it's all in English because of dubbing it just doesn't work.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    1899  on Twitter The first official 1899 poster   httpstcoV5MXBieWj6  Twitter

Just finished the season. I LOVED it. There is a making of feature at the end too - they are hoping to make 2 more seasons, if Netflix bites. I hope they do. IMPORTANT POINT: Make sure you change the language setting to original English! Do NOT watch it on the default setting, which is dubbed English. It will ruin it completely, and not just because the dubbing on the foreign language parts sucks (it really does). It won't make sense because the fact that people are speaking different languages to each other and not necessarily understanding each other is a part of the storyline/script. If it's all in English because of dubbing it just doesn't work.
    Did you burn your mind??..lol..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Just finished the third and final season of Dead to Me. It was real good. Christina Applegate definitely deserves at least a nomination for best lead actress in a role.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Just finished the third and final season of Dead to Me. It was real good. Christina Applegate definitely deserves at least a nomination for best lead actress in a role.
    That show has been fantastic!
  • "Pepsi, where's my Jet"

This was an interesting doc.  I remember hearing about it years ago, I remember the commercials changing the numbers too.  Never knew the outcome.

The Avonotti lawyer who just got sentenced is in this, lol.  Imagine that and he's been a scumbag all these years, lol.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    well of course it was *meant* to be shocking. that's the current entertainment sickness we find ourselves in. without gory visuals, it wouldn't make as much money. 

I would have been just as entertained with an Unsolved Mysteries type of production. I don't mind gore when it's fictional; I despise dramatic depictions and they can use the "based on true events" tag to try to make everyone believe every thing in the show actually happened (and many do). Even the manner of his first kill wasn't truth. I looked it up. So you can't tell me that other stuff he did when he was alone wasn't highly ficiontalized. 

I have to agree with you there somewhat. I've often thought that the sickest minds among us should be somewhat pittied. I don't know if they can control those impulses. Of course, they need to be locked away to protect society, but I can't imagine being stricken with such a brain. 
    Haven't checked this thread in a while. I rarely say it out lout, but I agree a little. I often think of some of the horrible things people do and can't imagine how bad that impulse must are knowing what the consequences will likely be. I don't potty them in a sense in that I feel bad for them and that they are locked up, but makes me thankful that I'm, more or less, normal. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I potty them.
    I potty them all.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Ha. The things spell check doesn't catch.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Freudian slip
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Just finished the third and final season of Dead to Me. It was real good. Christina Applegate definitely deserves at least a nomination for best lead actress in a role.
    Added to my list - I am sure to watch in the next 10 years.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    You know how sometimes you stream episode 1 of a new show and it's not your thing and you're like "whatever it was just an hour".

Then you spend two hours watching a movie you didn't like and feel betrayed that you wasted two hours of your life.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    You know how sometimes you stream episode 1 of a new show and it's not your thing and you're like "whatever it was just an hour".

Then you spend two hours watching a movie you didn't like and feel betrayed that you wasted two hours of your life.
    That's how I felt about Barbarian

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    F**ck you Netflix..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

Fuck, that sucks.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

Netflix business model just doesn’t work. The typical show gets one short season. If it’s very popular, maybe two or three seasons. If it’s huge like stranger things, five short seasons. 

The reason Netflix constantly cancels shows? As seasons progress tv shows typically get more expensive to produce. But network tv shows have a big advantage, they can raise advertising rates. Netflix can not do that with most of its content. Canceling shows is a super cheap option. 

This forces customers to constantly scroll endlessly to find new shows to watch. And when we find one, guess what, it’s at most 2 seasons/ 16 episodes. And with so many shows having so few episodes per title, it requires finding more shows to watch. Unlike say finding five shows on network tv, that’s over a hundred episodes per year which is plenty of tv to enjoy. On Netflix, five titles are about 40 episodes total 

Not sure why we are paying a premium fee for what is essentially a scrolling and show canceling service.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Imo Dark was better, though 1899 was decent, too. But what I learned from Dark was the idea outkicks the coverage of the actual show - the ending of that show kinda sucked on the whole. And I had a feeling 1899 would've ended up the same.

The money that Netflix used to roll around in just isn't there like it used to be, and won't be again. I still think Netflix does better than a lot of the streaming platforms that are out there, but the only way these services are going to keep up is by going to advertisements (for all of them, even Netflix).
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

Netflix business model just doesn’t work. The typical show gets one short season. If it’s very popular, maybe two or three seasons. If it’s huge like stranger things, five short seasons. 

The reason Netflix constantly cancels shows? As seasons progress tv shows typically get more expensive to produce. But network tv shows have a big advantage, they can raise advertising rates. Netflix can not do that with most of its content. Canceling shows is a super cheap option. 

This forces customers to constantly scroll endlessly to find new shows to watch. And when we find one, guess what, it’s at most 2 seasons/ 16 episodes. And with so many shows having so few episodes per title, it requires finding more shows to watch. Unlike say finding five shows on network tv, that’s over a hundred episodes per year which is plenty of tv to enjoy. On Netflix, five titles are about 40 episodes total 

Not sure why we are paying a premium fee for what is essentially a scrolling and show canceling service.
    I read an opinion that it wasn't the model, it was the timing of their releases. putting out too many big originals around the same time, instead of staggering them. when I saw the dates and the names of the releases, it made sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

I mostly watch movies and limited series on Netflix, but the multi-season shows that I have watched or do watch have been absolutely amazing. House of Cards. The Crown. You. Ozark. Orange is the New Black. Black Mirror (granted the seasons are WAY too short, and now the creator/writer is on hiatus). Cobra Kai. Master of None... I could go on... I think Netflix is 100% worth every penny, even if a show I did want to keep watching got cancelled. If someone is struggling to find something good to watch on Netflix, I would suggest they get a second and maybe third and fourth streaming platform so they can get the crazy variety they are seeking, or that they are watching entirely too much TV. But that's just my opinion! (and I do subscribe to multiple streaming platforms, lol).
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

I mostly watch movies and limited series on Netflix, but the multi-season shows that I have watched or do watch have been absolutely amazing. House of Cards. The Crown. You. Ozark. Orange is the New Black. Black Mirror (granted the seasons are WAY too short, and now the creator/writer is on hiatus). Cobra Kai. Master of None... I could go on... I think Netflix is 100% worth every penny, even if a show I did want to keep watching got cancelled. If someone is struggling to find something good to watch on Netflix, I would suggest they get a second and maybe third and fourth streaming platform so they can get the crazy variety they are seeking, or that they are watching entirely too much TV. But that's just my opinion! (and I do subscribe to multiple streaming platforms, lol).
    I kind of lost interest in Orange is the New Black. I've thought about going back to it but it just seemed like it jumped the shark at some point.

edited January 2023
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

With you on HoC and Black Mirror. You and Master I liked, but wouldn’t think of them as amazing.

I think you are in a way making my point, in over ten years, that’s eight shows, unless your continuation consists of more amazing shows or just ones that you like? But for all these shows, they have a reduced season length compared to US network tv, and seasons could be spaced by up to two years. 

Five years ago I probably would have agreed Netflix comes out with great shows every year, but I am hard pressed to name one (that the service supports beyond two seasons) that’s been created since 2017. Perhaps just a matter of my taste. For sci fi fans especially, Netflix has been terrible of late regarding new releases. Some Foreign shows are ok, but they’re admitting they don’t see a US audience for that

edit, movies are good, but once I watch a movie I am done with it, time to return to the Netflix scroll to find something else!
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Alice in borderland. If you didn’t like squid games I can’t recommend. Also you have to be okay with gratuitous violence
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

With you on HoC and Black Mirror. You and Master I liked, but wouldn’t think of them as amazing.

I think you are in a way making my point, in over ten years, that’s eight shows, unless your continuation consists of more amazing shows or just ones that you like? But for all these shows, they have a reduced season length compared to US network tv, and seasons could be spaced by up to two years. 

Five years ago I probably would have agreed Netflix comes out with great shows every year, but I am hard pressed to name one (that the service supports beyond two seasons) that’s been created since 2017. Perhaps just a matter of my taste. For sci fi fans especially, Netflix has been terrible of late regarding new releases. Some Foreign shows are ok, but they’re admitting they don’t see a US audience for that

edit, movies are good, but once I watch a movie I am done with it, time to return to the Netflix scroll to find something else!
    you're right...there's a lot more competition now too. Good stuff on AppleTV that I haven't seen yet. I don't pay much attention to Hulu or Prime either.

Plus I still pay for DirecTV for some fucking reason.

edited January 2023
    There are many other shows I've really enjoyed on Netflix - I meant it when I said "I could go on". ;) Though I also subscribe to AppleTV+, Crave (which includes HBO and some Hulu stuff, Star, etc), Prime, Disney+, CuriosityStream, and even Premium YouTube, plus I use Tubi somewhat regularly. So Netflix doesn't stand out as lacking for me since I have much more than enough content to enjoy across platforms. I couldn't do without Netflix though. I'm still totally taken by several shows that are still running, beyond their great limited series that are always coming out. Anyway, moving on...

Madoff: The Monster of Wall Street
    This is the kind of limited series content that I really dig on Netflix. And I love any doc about Madoff - it never ceases to shock me, and it is also some of the best schadenfreude as far as him getting caught goes, lol. But along with that, I always feel devastated on behalf of all those people who lost everything because of that bastard. And there were suicides, including Madoff's son. Many others should have been punished but weren't.
    Jesus fucking Christ as far as the SEC goes in the Madoff saga. The ineptitude and indifference and apathy of the SEC in that case never ceases to amaze me. Outrageous.
    I'm pretty sure it's HBO that has a pretty good dramatized movie about it with Robert De Niro as Madoff, and Michelle Pfeiffer kinda kills as Ruth Madoff (she has gotten so good as she's aged). It's called The Wizard of Lies
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    F**ck you Netflix..

The Last Kingdom was really good.  They may have started before 2017, though.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    This article really hits the nail on the head for me regarding Netflix. First five years or so there were so many good shows. Lately, I am afraid to invest in any show because unless it’s a huge hit, it’s getting one or two seasons then it’s gone. I’m glad plenty like the service, but for $16 a month, even if I find a handful of good shows every two years, a premium cost should not include the threat of cancelation every year. That’s what the free networks are for…

“Netflix’s cancelation policies have informed its viewers that if you want a show you like renewed, you need to watch it immediately, you need to tell all your friends to watch it immediately, and you need to finish all episodes in a short period of time. Anything less than that will result in likely cancelation, with the problem being, of course, that this runs contrary to the entire promise of a streaming service like Netflix in the first place. The core concept of “on demand” streaming was that ability to watch what you wanted, when you wanted to. But now binging a series in its opening weekend isn’t just an option to have, it feels almost mandatory, lest the negative data reflect poorly on a show you might otherwise like.

Something has broken with this model. It’s now created a system where creators should be afraid to make a series that dares to end on a cliffhanger or save anything for future seasons, lest their story forever be left unfinished. “

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/01/16/netflix-has-created-a-self-fulfilling-cancelation-loop-with-its-new-shows/

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Watched The Recruit.  Don’t think there is a redeeming character on that show.   Hard to root for a bunch of idiots.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Interesting documentary about Kai the Hitchhiker.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Interesting documentary about Kai the Hitchhiker.

I saw that...worth a watch. Interesting story.