MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    igotid88 said:
    It's not okay to bring up the injury but it is okay make people assume he just lost his hr power out of nowhere? 
    It's like a runner who's winning halfway through the race then brakes his leg and then you say he sucked at the end.
    Actually I wouldn't say he sucks, but I'd say he didn't qualify....he lost....he didn't finish.
    I'm a runner, and I've had to drag my ass across a 26.2 marathon and 50k ultra.   Torn tendon and then a stress fracture.  It sucks, but I finished.
    Poor analogy.  :lol:
    I don't think Donald sucks.  
    Far from sucking.

He isn't in the same category as SK, widely held as an all time great.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:
    Is Albert Belle not in the Hall of Fame because he was a dick?  I think he should be in for sure.
    igotid88 said:
    You could make a case for Albert Belle. Whether he was juicing or not. I don't know. 
    Albert Belle had 9-10 dominate Seasons

I think he should be in the HOF(career: .295 Hitter. averaged 40 HR & 130 RBI's a Season. OPS+ 144)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    igotid88 said:
    We're comparing Mattingly to Sandy Koufax now?
    Koufax had 6 good to great years.   
    You're (I assume) intentionally being obtuse here.
    Koufax had maybe the greatest 4 year stretch of any pitcher ever from 63-66. In Modern Times only Pedro Martinez comes close 
    Those were not "good to great years". those were historically dominant years.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited December 2022
    igotid88 said:
    It's not okay to bring up the injury but it is okay make people assume he just lost his hr power out of nowhere? 
    It's like a runner who's winning halfway through the race then brakes his leg and then you say he sucked at the end.
    Actually I wouldn't say he sucks, but I'd say he didn't qualify....he lost....he didn't finish.
    I'm a runner, and I've had to drag my ass across a 26.2 marathon and 50k ultra.   Torn tendon and then a stress fracture.  It sucks, but I finished.
    Far from sucking.

Yes. But if you had been watching him the first 6 years you wouldn't think Hall of Famer. He was a totally different pitcher after. If that happened now people would accuse him doing something illegally. But according to you if he had started off strong and ended up average he wouldn't be in. Because he doesn't have the milestone numbers. Well maybe because his teams won World Series he would get in.

So if I got this right. Mattingly doesn't have the milestone numbers players get playing 20+ years to get in. But his numbers are borderline and would only get in if he won a World Series. But only if he physically won them by himself. While cutting the grass and putting the chalk on the lines. And working the concessions in between innings.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    Regarding Koufax' 5 year stretch from 62-66:

a pitcher who went 111-34 with a 1.95 ERA, won the NL ERA crown all five years and had seasons of 25-5, 26-8 and 27-9. He won an MVP Award and finished second in the voting two other years, while winning three Cy Young Awards (when they gave it to just one pitcher in all of baseball)

Mattingly never had hitting dominance like that for a 5 year stretch. Not even close.

edited December 2022
    Poncier said:
    Regarding Koufax' 5 year stretch from 62-66:

a pitcher who went 111-34 with a 1.95 ERA, won the NL ERA crown all five years and had seasons of 25-5, 26-8 and 27-9. He won an MVP Award and finished second in the voting two other years, while winning three Cy Young Awards (when they gave it to just one pitcher in all of baseball)

Mattingly never had hitting dominance like that for a 5 year stretch. Not even close.

They basically have the same WAR. And to correct what I said earlier. Mattingly played with a bad back the final 9 seasons. He was on pace for 5 straight 200 hit seasons (3 straight) had an OPS over .900 for 4 straight. 3 straight 30+ hr seasons before the injury. But we can't bring up the injury. And you can't say he wouldn't have been dominant because he was still a good hitter. Koufax also had the benefit of a higher pitcher's mound. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Far from sucking.

Yes. But if you had been watching him the first 6 years you wouldn't think Hall of Famer. He was a totally different pitcher after. If that happened now people would accuse him doing something illegally. But according to you if he had started off strong and ended up average he wouldn't be in. Because he doesn't have the milestone numbers. Well maybe because his teams won World Series he would get in.

So if I got this right. Mattingly doesn't have the milestone numbers players get playing 20+ years to get in. But his numbers are borderline and would only get in if he won a World Series. But only if he physically won them by himself. While cutting the grass and putting the chalk on the lines. And working the concessions in between innings.
    We can only disagree if this is the argument, re:Koufax.  Mattingly never had any stretch where he was remotely comparable to how great SK was, in my opinion.

Kirby played the same number of games, roughly, as Donnie.  They are similar in different numbers, but I still give it to the chunky drunk guy.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    This thread ia hilarious.

Belle was an asshole. Should have stuck with Joey instead. Much "Friendlier" name. Who doesn't know an asshole named Albert. Video game stats and clear juicer in the 90's. I think he got caught with a corked bat a few times too. I vaguely remember him losing it against the Chi Sox for that.

Also, Puckett was a good player who came through in the clutch. His early years he was a skinny speedster. Somehow kept the hops in the field even though he doubled in size. Always had a solid bat and glove. He gets at least 50% of the credit for the '91 WS. The other half goes to Jack Morris. Another good player who was clutch when you needed him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    was jeff kent better than mattingly? without taking a deep dive to actually look up numbers, I think he was.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    was jeff kent better than mattingly? without taking a deep dive to actually look up numbers, I think he was.
    I always thought Kents numbers were borderline HOF.  He was good.  He also fought Bonds in the dugout!
    Wobbie said:
    Kent was a good player. More of an accumulator. He did have an MVP which could have gone to Bonds. I forgot about that. 
    I miss igotid88
    Yes, I would think so.  In fairness he is strongly helped by two things.
    1.  There are far fewer great 2B than great 1B.
    2.  He has one of the funniest Middle names in all of sports.  (Icansmellyour)  
    Kent has better numbers than Trammell who got in a year or 2 ago. Although Trammell has a better WAR which makes no sense 
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Okay....serious question, folks. If you were the GM of a make believe all time team and had your choice of just these two players to draft first overall, who would you select?

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Okay....serious question, folks. If you were the GM of a make believe all time team and had your choice of just these two players to draft first overall, who would you select?

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    Centerfielders always get preferred over first basemen. Even if Mattingly would have had the better overall numbers.
    I miss igotid88
  • Yes, I would think so.  In fairness he is strongly helped by two things.
    Franklin?  Thats funny or I just don't get the joke...
  • Okay....serious question, folks. If you were the GM of a make believe all time team and had your choice of just these two players to draft first overall, who would you select?

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    At least do the same position... And of players who were hurt and should have better numbers...And whom are beloved by the Yankees...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    igotid88 said:

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    Centerfielders always get preferred over first basemen. Even if Mattingly would have had the better overall numbers.
    I don't know, I think I would still go Mattingly. This is hypothetical, of course. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes, I would think so.  In fairness he is strongly helped by two things.
    Franklin?  Thats funny or I just don't get the joke...

Yeah, I don't think you got it.
    I forget who called him that name but it always makes me laugh.
    Jeff Icansmellyour Kent.

Said in a breathless Clarice Starling voice.

igotid88 said:

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    I don't know, I think I would still go Mattingly. This is hypothetical, of course. 
    Mattingly by a mile.
    Bill Brasky would have him, though. 
    igotid88 said:

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    Mattingly had better overall numbers than Willie Mays?
    edited December 2022
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:

Don Mattingly

or

Willie Mays?
    Mattingly had better overall numbers than Willie Mays?
    I didn't say he had better overall numbers. I said if he had had better overall numbers.
    I miss igotid88
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Not gonna lie - I'm shocked at what DeGrom got, less shocked by who gave it to him tho.
    Not gonna lie - I'm shocked at what DeGrom got, less shocked by who gave it to him tho.
    rangers are like angels ….. pay a ton of money to guys and not matter at all.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Even worse, they never win

They would be better off signing Mattingly

good for the crime dog…but that voting was a joke. :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited December 2022
    Crime Dog or Cunningham? In their primes… 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Congrats Fred. Long overdue 
    I miss igotid88
    Crime Dog or Cunningham? In their primes… 
    Ha.
    Bill Brasky 1
    Cunningham 2
    Crime Dog 3
  • Wobbie said:
    rangers are like angels ….. pay a ton of money to guys and not matter at all.
    The Halos problem is their lack of depth.  They had players like Segura on their team and let them go.  It's nice that when healthy have 3 really good players and 2 are the best but they can only do so much...