Gabby Petito

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited November 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Gabby lived with them for over a year....and they did everything they could to help Brian get away
    I don't think if they told them, if they even knew, that it would have made a difference.  The family would still be suing everyone anyways.  No matter what happens and whom they sue, they will never be whole again.  I mean that with empathy.

If you had empathy, you wouldn't be assuming the worst of the victim's family and the best of the murderer's family, who by all appearances are complicit in helping their son escape justice. 

This is quite the hill to die on, Tempo. 
    I'm fine with it too. Justice is served in my eyes and nobody wins.

Do you not think Laundrie's parents, if it turns out knew about the murder should face consequences for helping their son hide, or do they get a pass because he's their son? 
    I'm not sure what the law is on that so it's not up to me.  Not sure if there is a child/son privilege?
    Weak. 
    You Know my position, whyd you ask?

You're giving a pass to murderer's family who by all accounts added to the suffering of the victim's family who you're simultaneously assuming the worst of. 

It's a f'ed up position to take knowing what we know about this situation, that's why I asked.
    Their son is dead, their daughter is dead. There is no winners here.  Not seeing what good perusing this any further is going to help in healing anyone.  At this point it's revenge.

I'm hard pressed to think you or anyone else here wouldn't want revenge for someone killing their daughter, prolonging that suffering and / or robbing them from seeing their daughter's killer face justice. Would it bring her back? Of course not, but that doesn't mean the Petitos don't deserve whatever justice they can still get.  

This is going to drag on for the rest of their lives regardless. They will never get over this. They will never find peace. With that in mind I can't think of one good reason why the Petitos shouldn't go after the people who helped their daughter's killer hide and prolonged their suffering. They were robbed multiple times over. 

Why does the empathy you mentioned yesterday extend only to the Laundries' plight, but not the Petitos'? The latter are the victims here, not the former. 

Their daughter was killed and they were denied the opportunity to see her killer face justice, and no... him killing himself isn't justice. He took the easy way out and never had to answer for what he did. That isn't justice, Tempo and you know it. 

Harboring a fugitive is a crime, and no... there's no federal exemption for family (apparently there is in the state of Florida, but I have to wonder if that extends to murderers). Why you think the Laundries shouldn't be held accountable for their actions is beyond me. 

I would not want to drag this on another day if I were any of them.  Previously mentioned on why.

It's a position you're entitled too, and one not only empathetic for the Laundries' situation, but also very forgiving of their apparent complicity in helping their son cover up his crime and to evade justice. 

This position is also completely devoid of empathy for the Petitos, specifically in regards to what the Laundries put them through.
    Maybe I'd feel very different if I had a loved one murdered, but I don't understand how he evaded justice, I always thought having them knock themselves off would be exactly the justice I want. I wouldn't have to go through a trial, learn all the details I'd rather not know, and making the guy so scared he takes his own life seems better than a trial and sentence to me. 
    I guess it comes down to being able to step outside of your own lived experience and trying to see things from someone else's point of view... AKA empathy. 
    Empathy has nothing to do with it. I'm just saying for me personally, that would feel like justice. I can't know for sure, and neither can you, until it happens to someone in your family. That isn't lacking empathy. That's just how I feel. 

You may want to reevaluate your understanding of empathy. 

Or don't, and keep making my point for me, I don't care. 
    Empathy means the ability to understand and/or share in the feelings of someone else. One, you can't understand what it is like to have a child murdered unless it has happened to you. I'm not going to pretend I know what that is like. I can try. And when I try, all I said was to me, seems like justice if my child was murdered and the killer offed himself. That's my opinion based on my (and I hope yours too) lack of experience in the situation. I would rather he kill himself than relive everything through a trial. That must be horrible to go through a trial like that. Letting him kill himself seems easier to me.
    I don't see where there is a lack of empathy there. Putting myself in their situation, I wouldn't want to live through that. Pretty much the definition pf empathy, isn't it?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    edited November 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Gabby lived with them for over a year....and they did everything they could to help Brian get away
    I don't think if they told them, if they even knew, that it would have made a difference.  The family would still be suing everyone anyways.  No matter what happens and whom they sue, they will never be whole again.  I mean that with empathy.

If you had empathy, you wouldn't be assuming the worst of the victim's family and the best of the murderer's family, who by all appearances are complicit in helping their son escape justice. 

Do you not think Laundrie's parents, if it turns out knew about the murder should face consequences for helping their son hide, or do they get a pass because he's their son? 
    I'm not sure what the law is on that so it's not up to me.  Not sure if there is a child/son privilege?
    Weak. 

You're giving a pass to murderer's family who by all accounts added to the suffering of the victim's family who you're simultaneously assuming the worst of. 

It's a f'ed up position to take knowing what we know about this situation, that's why I asked.
    Their son is dead, their daughter is dead. There is no winners here.  Not seeing what good perusing this any further is going to help in healing anyone.  At this point it's revenge.

I'm hard pressed to think you or anyone else here wouldn't want revenge for someone killing their daughter, prolonging that suffering and / or robbing them from seeing their daughter's killer face justice. Would it bring her back? Of course not, but that doesn't mean the Petitos don't deserve whatever justice they can still get.  

This is going to drag on for the rest of their lives regardless. They will never get over this. They will never find peace. With that in mind I can't think of one good reason why the Petitos shouldn't go after the people who helped their daughter's killer hide and prolonged their suffering. They were robbed multiple times over. 

Why does the empathy you mentioned yesterday extend only to the Laundries' plight, but not the Petitos'? The latter are the victims here, not the former. 

Their daughter was killed and they were denied the opportunity to see her killer face justice, and no... him killing himself isn't justice. He took the easy way out and never had to answer for what he did. That isn't justice, Tempo and you know it. 

Harboring a fugitive is a crime, and no... there's no federal exemption for family (apparently there is in the state of Florida, but I have to wonder if that extends to murderers). Why you think the Laundries shouldn't be held accountable for their actions is beyond me. 

I would not want to drag this on another day if I were any of them.  Previously mentioned on why.

It's a position you're entitled too, and one not only empathetic for the Laundries' situation, but also very forgiving of their apparent complicity in helping their son cover up his crime and to evade justice. 

This position is also completely devoid of empathy for the Petitos, specifically in regards to what the Laundries put them through.
    Maybe I'd feel very different if I had a loved one murdered, but I don't understand how he evaded justice, I always thought having them knock themselves off would be exactly the justice I want. I wouldn't have to go through a trial, learn all the details I'd rather not know, and making the guy so scared he takes his own life seems better than a trial and sentence to me. 
    I guess it comes down to being able to step outside of your own lived experience and trying to see things from someone else's point of view... AKA empathy. 
    Empathy has nothing to do with it. I'm just saying for me personally, that would feel like justice. I can't know for sure, and neither can you, until it happens to someone in your family. That isn't lacking empathy. That's just how I feel. 

Empathy means the ability to understand and/or share in the feelings of someone else. One, you can't understand what it is like to have a child murdered unless it has happened to you. I'm not going to pretend I know what that is like. I can try. And when I try, all I said was to me, seems like justice if my child was murdered and the killer offed himself. That's my opinion based on my (and I hope yours too) lack of experience in the situation. I would rather he kill himself than relive everything through a trial. That must be horrible to go through a trial like that. Letting him kill himself seems easier to me.
    I don't see where there is a lack of empathy there. Putting myself in their situation, I wouldn't want to live through that. Pretty much the definition pf empathy, isn't it?
    But we aren't talking about the killer...we are talking about the killer's parents and what they may have done to help him evade the police.

edit: or maybe you are focusing on the killer and I need to butt out of this conversation lol
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

But we aren't talking about the killer...we are talking about the killer's parents and what they may have done to help him evade the police.

edit: or maybe you are focusing on the killer and I need to butt out of this conversation lol
    I was talking about the perspective of the parents of any murdered child, this case included. Most of the time the killer ends his own life you hear the family say how he avoided justice. To me that seems like the best ending as a parent. I don't think I would want to go through a trial and learn all the details, and face my child's killer in court. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I think I would prefer he kill himself. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,193
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

He evaded the type of justice many of the people wrapped up in a case that has nothing to do with them are seeking, apparently. Imagine being one of the actual people affected by a hand picked national headline, and then being surrounded by every ham and egger's opinion on how they choose to pursue it. Empathy, or rubbing salt into the wound? There are arguments for both views, but I find it weird that the empathetic stance is being taken by some, I highly doubt anyone here has come remotely close to actively trying to share in the emotional experience of those who are actually involved. Sympathetic at best.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

I don't see where there is a lack of empathy there.

"Empathy means the ability to understand... the feelings of someone else" 

Through the powers of my imagination, I can understand why the Petitos would want to sue the Laundries and why they're suing the police. 

Thanks again for making my point. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

I was talking about the perspective of the parents of any murdered child, this case included. Most of the time the killer ends his own life you hear the family say how he avoided justice. To me that seems like the best ending as a parent. I don't think I would want to go through a trial and learn all the details, and face my child's killer in court. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I think I would prefer he kill himself. 
    I know what you mean. It would be horribly difficult and there is always the possibility that they end up walking free as well.

I guess in the case where the murderer offs himself and the parents may have played some part in assisting him I am not forgiving. I would make it my job to remind them of what they did every fucking day.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

I can absolutely understand that perspective, but I can also understand the perspective that him killing himself instead of facing the consequence of his actions doesn't bring them any solace.

I can understand the Laundries wanting to protect their son, but covering up a murder is still covering up a murder. 

Lastly, I can understand why the Petitos wouldn't want to let the Laundries off the hook for helping to cover up the murder of their daughter. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

Through the powers of my imagination, I can understand why the Petitos would want to sue the Laundries and why they're suing the police. 

What point? I never mentioned the lawsuit or what I would and wouldn’t do in terms of it. So I’m really confused why you keep bringing up empathy and my views on this lawsuit, which I haven’t discussed once, as proving your point?
    Im not taking about the lawsuit. Just saying, in general, I don’t know how the parents of murdered children handle these things. I don’t think I could. I’d prefer the killer just kills himself because I’d probably wind up In jail myself if I faced my child’s killer in a courtroom.
    This lawsuit has nothing to do with my comments.
  • Options
    I don’t need to keep spinning my tires here. None of our opinions on this matter anyway. I hope I never go through anything like what the petitos or laundries have gone through ever in my life. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Weak. 

What point? I never mentioned the lawsuit or what I would and wouldn’t do in terms of it. So I’m really confused why you keep bringing up empathy and my views on this lawsuit, which I haven’t discussed once, as proving your point?
    Im not taking about the lawsuit. Just saying, in general, I don’t know how the parents of murdered children handle these things. I don’t think I could. I’d prefer the killer just kills himself because I’d probably wind up In jail myself if I faced my child’s killer in a courtroom.
    This lawsuit has nothing to do with my comments.

the topic turned to the lawsuits a couple weeks ago. you re-entered in the midst of that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14