JAZZ

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    Evans box set is phenomenal
    That cannonball adderley in particular sounds great. I’ve never heard it sound anywhere near that good.

it’s all great really.  Even moonbeams but you’ve got to be in the right mood to listen to that many ballads 

everybody digs sounds better than the OJC by a lot but that tape isn’t the best there is still piano distortion. I read that’s on the tapes though 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    Good reviews coming in. However I doubt most have opened. That’s not dust.

Lots of this kind of stuff, warps etc.  not great by RTI.
    skipping using  gatefolds probably contributes 

if you buy it, open it 

That's from the Riverside box?

They will replace it.  Too bad too.  Waltz for Debbie is great. 
    They already sent replacement records out. So that’s great 

Kind of funny as they just said OK and mailed them. They are making other people break the records and send photos of the record destroyed before sending 

kind of makes me think they keep track of chronic replacement seekers 
    Tehy have never made me do that.  However, I've always asked for a single record, as part of a set, to be replaced.  I think if it was a single LP that was bought, they may make you do that.  Whereas what could you really do with one extra of a set of 8 or whatever.  Just a guess. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    Thursdays episode of WTF with Marc Maron has Ron Carter as a guest. will post a link then to the podcast website.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mickeyrat said:
    Thursdays episode of WTF with Marc Maron has Ron Carter as a guest. will post a link then to the podcast website.

THANKS!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited October 2022
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    mickeyrat said:

Ron Carter!  What more needs to be said?  One of the greats. 
    Other favorites of jazz bass?
    For me, favs include Jimmy Garrison, Richard Davis, Charlie Haden, Gary Peacock, Ray Brown, Reggie Workman, Scott LaFaro... so many great jazz bassists.  But Ron Carter is way up there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited October 2022
    podcast has mentioned a doc a couple times.  talk is great so far

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

For me, favs include Jimmy Garrison, Richard Davis, Charlie Haden, Gary Peacock, Ray Brown, Reggie Workman, Scott LaFaro... so many great jazz bassists.  But Ron Carter is way up there!
    Paul Chambers!  
  • Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 335
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Paul Chambers!  
    Stanley Clarke
  • Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus
  • Never hear too many people mention Tina Brooks. Look at the players on this record. If you haven’t heard this album, give it a listen. Magic

^^^^^ I still need the Tone Poet!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • ^^^^^ I still need the Tone Poet!
    It’s another stellar Tone Poet release. Hopefully they will repress it. 
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Paul Chambers!  

Croos1226 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Paul Chambers!  
    Stanley Clarke

Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus

More great bass players! :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Available for pre-order from Amazon (yuck) or the release date of December 16th. That price is from Amazon.ca so it is Canadian dollars 

• My GF busted out a cd that's been out of print for a while so now I am looking for the vinyl...
    It's 60's Ethiopian Jazz.  The song Tezeta is amazing to me.  I shit on the sax all the time because I used to play.  I really like this person's style.  He's doing a scale with the notes.  It's really good.  Give a listen.

https://youtu.be/dgmiYFLbn6U
    RIP Wayne Shorter.  Awesome sax player that was with Art Blakey, Miles Davis, etc. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/entertainment/wayne-shorter-death/index.html
    Another one of the greats....gone!  
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    RIP Mr. Shorter.  
    My wax listening plan for this weekend has just been adjusted. 
    Heavy Weather, Etcetera, Speak No Evil, The Witch Doctor, Bitches Brew, First Flight to Tokyo… I’m sure there are a couple others I’m not thinking of 

I feel like this would have been a separate thread- that's how huge Wayne Shorter's talent was to me.  Despite his longevity, a major and very sad loss.
    R.I.P. Wayne Shorter.
    Wayne Shorter Innovator During an Era of Change in Jazz Dies at 89 - The  New York Times

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Anybody give that Ethiopiques a listen?
    brianlux said:
    I feel like this would have been a separate thread- that's how huge Wayne Shorter's talent was to me.  Despite his longevity, a major and very sad loss.
    R.I.P. Wayne Shorter.
    Wayne Shorter Innovator During an Era of Change in Jazz Dies at 89 - The  New York Times

Wayne Shorter 1933-2023
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Great bassist = Henry Franklin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfyD2rAj71g

1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    Anybody give that Ethiopiques a listen?
    On my to-do list. Maybe while marking some essays this weekend?
    Astrud Gilberto dies.. she was the singer on the Girl from Ipanema and ex of Joao Gilberto.  Maybe one of the most famous songs of all time.  And if you don't have the reissue of the record from AP, get it.  It's absolutely stunning.  

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/astrud-gilberto-girl-from-ipanema-singer-dies_n_647f2e8ee4b0a7554f46d231

https://www.discogs.com/release/15833366-Stan-Getz-Joao-Gilberto-Featuring-Antonio-Carlos-Jobim-Getz-Gilberto
    mrussel1 said:
    Astrud Gilberto dies.. she was the singer on the Girl from Ipanema and ex of Joao Gilberto.  Maybe one of the most famous songs of all time.  And if you don't have the reissue of the record from AP, get it.  It's absolutely stunning.  

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/astrud-gilberto-girl-from-ipanema-singer-dies_n_647f2e8ee4b0a7554f46d231

https://www.discogs.com/release/15833366-Stan-Getz-Joao-Gilberto-Featuring-Antonio-Carlos-Jobim-Getz-Gilberto

Oh man, very sorry to hear this.  What an amazing singer.  And yes, that's a terrific album.  I have a really nice early pressing so don't need the reissue, but there are some quite affordable copies you linked to- good job.  A "must-have", for sure.

Hugely talented and beautiful, a big loss for the world of jazz and music in general.  R.I.P. Astrud Gilberto.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Pap said:
    I never thought of this as Jazz but listening to the music it sure is.