2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    From what I read, everyone else wanted either Caldwell or the Dallas DC (before he said he'd be staying in Dallas).  So, it kind of sounds like Poles put his foot down on this one.  Again, early reports after it was announced so who knows?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Wow!  At halftime I think we were all thinking "new year, same old shit".  Unreal 2nd half from Fields and the defense.  Impressive start.
  • 1-0
    Go Bears! 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Wow!  At halftime I think we were all thinking "new year, same old shit".  Unreal 2nd half from Fields and the defense.  Impressive start.
    At halftime I was just thinking Notre Dame now plays on Sunday and replaced gold with orange. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    It was like an entirely different team showed up after halftime.  I think most Bears fans were shocked by that, as we have gotten used to the coaching staff making no adjustments to the gameplan.  
    That was a fun game to watch.  And the slide at the end was great!  
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    Bear down! Puck the Fackers!
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Bears 9.5 point under dogs….they have momentum, Rodgers stumbling out of the gate….might take this action.
    Bears 9.5 point under dogs….they have momentum, Rodgers stumbling out of the gate….might take this action.
    I don't know.  DIdn't the Packers lose the first game last year and have a slow start a year or two before?  It always seems at some point there are the "What's going on with the Packers?" and then they win the next 10 straight.
    It would be amazing if we took them down on Sunday night, but as long as fuckface #12 is there, my hopes aren't too high. 
    Yep.  Rodgers still owns us.

11 pass attempts.  Not going to win many games when you don't trust your QB to throw the ball.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169

11 pass attempts.  
    That's insane considering Bears trailed by at least 14 the entire 2nd half.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    If I didn't know any better, I would have assumed Matt Nagy was still calling plays during that game.
    I think its starting to become clear that Getsy and Flus a) don't trust Fields to throw and b) Know what a disaster they have at WR.
    If you looked close at any of those overhead shots of the passing plays...every play...defenders were attached to the hip of our WRs and TEs.
    If this continues and there is no adjustments to get guys open and fast, then Field's will continue to be a game manager/ a body to hand the ball off and occasionally run.

Speaking of running...that 4th and 1 at the goalline was a TD.  There is a pic that def shows the ball over the line.  Oh, and speaking of that play....Monty was averaging 8+ yards per carry and like 15+ on that drive alone....and you have the QB run it, up the middle, from the gun?  Again, that is so Nagy-like.  Ugh
    Only the Bears can make a win feel like a loss.  Fields has been flat out horrible.  So much for blaming everything on Nagy.
    Only the Bears can make a win feel like a loss.  Fields has been flat out horrible.  So much for blaming everything on Nagy.
    Yeah, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that the coaching staff has ZERO faith in Fields.  From a fan of the Bears, it's painful to watch him regress in these three games.  I mean, at least last year there were flashes.
    Eb running out the clock with almost a minute left before half and three timeouts... 27 other teams would have at least tried to get a field goal out of it.  In my last post above ^^ I mentioned WRs not getting open.  Well, in Sunday's game....there were guys open, he just didn't see them.  The O-line wasn't great in protection, but also wasn't terrible.
    You KNOW he's going to get hurt at some point and Simien is going to come in and light it up.  Simien is serviceable at best, but that's still better than what we're seeing out there.
    I mean, you have to keep putting him out there...you can't give up on a costly first round pick after 15 games in a rebuild year...but man, it's getting hard to watch.  
    mca47 said:
    Yeah, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that the coaching staff has ZERO faith in Fields.  From a fan of the Bears, it's painful to watch him regress in these three games.  I mean, at least last year there were flashes.
    Eb running out the clock with almost a minute left before half and three timeouts... 27 other teams would have at least tried to get a field goal out of it.  In my last post above ^^ I mentioned WRs not getting open.  Well, in Sunday's game....there were guys open, he just didn't see them.  The O-line wasn't great in protection, but also wasn't terrible.
    You KNOW he's going to get hurt at some point and Simien is going to come in and light it up.  Simien is serviceable at best, but that's still better than what we're seeing out there.
    I mean, you have to keep putting him out there...you can't give up on a costly first round pick after 15 games in a rebuild year...but man, it's getting hard to watch.  
    That's the most concerning part.  23 completed passes through 3 games in the modern NFL is really hard to do.  
    I realize the Bears team lacks a lot of talent on offense, but the "playing not to lose" technique is getting old.  
    Another awful game in the books!

What I'd like to know is, other than the muffed punt that cost them a chance at tying it up, where was Velus Jones on the offense?  Did he line up even once?  Isn't this the guy who is supposed to be crazy fast and a playmaker?  I mean, he looked impressive in the pre-season.  Granted it was his first game, but to not line him up...even for some easy screens to get the ball in his hand, makes no sense.
  • What a shit show. I have lived in Chicago for over 20 years, not a bears fan but you can’t help but follow the team and watch the games…..sorry folks your QB1 doesn’t have it. Another bears miss in the draft. He has no clue what to do back there.
    mca47 said:
    I realize the Bears team lacks a lot of talent on offense, but the "playing not to lose" technique is getting old.  

What I'd like to know is, other than the muffed punt that cost them a chance at tying it up, where was Velus Jones on the offense?  Did he line up even once?  Isn't this the guy who is supposed to be crazy fast and a playmaker?  I mean, he looked impressive in the pre-season.  Granted it was his first game, but to not line him up...even for some easy screens to get the ball in his hand, makes no sense.
    Yep.  A couple trips to the red zone and they get super conservative.  When they called a run play on 3rd and 5 when they were down close I couldn't believe it.  Nothing is expected from this team this year so throw the damn ball!  I'd much rather see Fields throwing 30-40 times a game over whatever the hell this has been.  How is this dude ever going to learn to play QB in this league with this approach???  I really wondered to myself why I rushed home from my kids soccer game to watch from 2nd quarter on....watching 6 year olds play soccer was much more entertaining.
    mca47 said:

Yep.  A couple trips to the red zone and they get super conservative.  When they called a run play on 3rd and 5 when they were down close I couldn't believe it.  Nothing is expected from this team this year so throw the damn ball!  I'd much rather see Fields throwing 30-40 times a game over whatever the hell this has been.  How is this dude ever going to learn to play QB in this league with this approach???  I really wondered to myself why I rushed home from my kids soccer game to watch from 2nd quarter on....watching 6 year olds play soccer was much more entertaining.
    Totally agree.  How can Fields, the coaches, or GM gain anything from this style of play?  At this point, I don't care if Fields throws 3 ints per game....just let him sling it!  If there are no improvements in letting him throw, then you can say "the kid can't play" and move on.  Like you said, this season is a wash, so let's see what he's capable of.  Get Jones in there to open up the secondary and I think your going to see more windows with the other guys.  It's pretty clear Fields can't (currently) process odd coverages and cannot identify tight windows in realtime....so why not open it up and toss him a bone?  Let him do what he's comfortable with and work from there.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    tough time to be a fan of chicago sports….cubs and bears suck and I heard an opinion that the blackhawks might be the worst team in the NHL. bulls might be a’ight but I don’t see a championship in their future.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    And don't forget that the white sox missed the playoffs after coming into the season as favorites to win their division.  Rough times around here.
    And don't forget that the white sox missed the playoffs after coming into the season as favorites to win their division.  Rough times around here.
    oh, yeah. the genius TLR couldn’t get it done. :no_mouth:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edit: but a chicago fan can only be bummed about one or the other, right? i.e. if you like the cubs, you don’t like the sox and vice versa?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    tough time to be a fan of chicago sports….cubs and bears suck and I heard an opinion that the blackhawks might be the worst team in the NHL. bulls might be a’ight but I don’t see a championship in their future.
    The Hawks just might be the worst.  Time will tell I guess.  It really bugs me that Kane and Toews are still on this miserable team.  Kane especially, since he's still playing at an elite level.  I love that he's still a Hawk, but also would like to see him have another run at a cup.  

That Bears game was just pathetic.  Ugh!
    Wobbie said:
    edit: but a chicago fan can only be bummed about one or the other, right? i.e. if you like the cubs, you don’t like the sox and vice versa?
    Generally yes.  There are some people who like to cheer for both teams but that's just weird to me.  Cubs/Sox rivalry used to be pretty intense at least among the fans but now that they've both won a world series it seems to have died down.  At the end of the day, they are 2 of the least successful franchises in MLB history....not much to argue about.  If Chicago didn't have the 90s Bulls, it would be a really rough sports scene.
    Wobbie said:
    Generally yes.  There are some people who like to cheer for both teams but that's just weird to me.  Cubs/Sox rivalry used to be pretty intense at least among the fans but now that they've both won a world series it seems to have died down.  At the end of the day, they are 2 of the least successful franchises in MLB history....not much to argue about.  If Chicago didn't have the 90s Bulls, it would be a really rough sports scene.

I was gonna ask "weren't the bears good in, like, the 1920's?" but that would set me up for some snide comments.

so, I won't ask that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wow.  Still can't believe that happened last night.  Impressive all around.  Fields was so much better in the pocket....you could see him going through his reads and not just trying to run the ball when the first guy wasn't open. That was a fun game to watch.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I ended up winning (well, splitting 3 ways actually) my suicide pool on your team's W last night. Didn't think I had any chance.

Went into the week with 3 of us left. Me and another guy picked the Bucs. Stupid me spent like next to no amount of time making that selection as I did not see the Panthers putting up much of a fight at all. We know how that went.

Then the Bears did what they did last night....wow. An improbable turn around for your Juggler!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wow.  Still can't believe that happened last night.  Impressive all around.  Fields was so much better in the pocket....you could see him going through his reads and not just trying to run the ball when the first guy wasn't open. That was a fun game to watch.

Yeah, they actually looked like a real NFL team yesterday.  A couple of blunders here and there, but to take down a much more talented team....never expected that.  Before the game i predicted NE 27 - Bears 13.  Who would have thought?
    Dallas is going to be tough!
    Not surprised they traded Roquan....they were never going to sign him to a long term deal.  He wants to be the highest paid LB in the league and he isn't close to that.

And I really like the Claypool move.  FA class this offseason is really weak at WR.  People complained that the Bears didn't do anything to help Fields in the offseason and now they trade for a legit WR and the complaint is that they gave up too much???  Claypool, Mooney and then use a high pick on a WR in the draft and that's solid WR core.  Plus they're going to have a ton of cap space to shore up the OL and defense.  Poles has a plan.  Loving it.
    Yeah, I like the moves he's making.
    I was a bit surprised he didn't try (or maybe he did) to move Monty.