Options

Who Will Be The Next Foo Fighters Drummer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    They can have Josh.  Then we can have an opener on the next pj tour.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    jefft said:
    I enjoyed Josh’s sets. Short, good choice of covers and PJ members coming out was awesome. Plus he adds a lot to PJ 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    jefft said:
    Love Josh, but do you really think he has the chops for the FF’s catalog? Or just being flippant about a talented musician?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 810
    Yeah. Taylor was a monster but chops wise Josh is every bit as good. He's so versatile it'd only be a question of style. Look at his CV. Plus the name that stands out in it is Sting-a nice coincidence given Taylor's reverence for Stewart.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    brianlux said:
    I would way more rather see Josh get back together with these guys:
    The Replacements band - Wikipedia

Is that the Vandals?

I would love to see him back on stage w/ APC, if they ever do another project. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    brianlux said:
    I would way more rather see Josh get back together with these guys:
    The Replacements band - Wikipedia

Is that the Vandals?

I would love to see him back on stage w/ APC, if they ever do another project. 

Those are The Replacements when they did a reunion tour 6 or 7 years ago-  Tommy Stinson on bass, Josh Freese, drums, Paul Westerberg, guitar, lead vocals, not seen  to the right of Paul is Dave Minehan, lead guitar).  The original drummer was Chris Mars who now does great work as an artist, and the former original lead guitarist was the late Bob Stinson, later replaced by Slim Dunlap (retired due to having had a serious stroke).
    I love this band!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    No disrespect but I'd much prefer Dave Grohl to do a new TCV album with Homme and JPJ than get back into the Foos. The Foo Fighters have never been for me, whatsoever.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 585
    Edved82 said:
    No disrespect but I'd much prefer Dave Grohl to do a new TCV album with Homme and JPJ than get back into the Foos. The Foo Fighters have never been for me, whatsoever.
    I used to feel the same way about TCV but their performances at the 2 Taylor tribute shows have cured me of that feeling. So disappointing.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Edved82 said:
    I used to feel the same way about TCV but their performances at the 2 Taylor tribute shows have cured me of that feeling. So disappointing.
    Why? 

I was also disappointed in the set lists at the tributes, but that doesn’t make me like their music or desire a follow up album any less. Sure, it was a missed opportunity, but it’s not as if TCV were on the bill by name. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    My prediction is that Dave will do all drum tracks for any new FF material and they will just tour with a touring member on the drum kit.

I think it's gonna be this. He did pretty much all the instruments off the first Foo's album.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    My prediction is that Dave will do all drum tracks for any new FF material and they will just tour with a touring member on the drum kit.

I think it's gonna be this. He did pretty much all the instruments off the first Foo's album.
    I agree… Dave on drums in the studio is probably their path forward in the short term at least. He did a lot of drums for TCATS too, no? There was a story about him re-recording some of the tracks unbeknownst to their drummer William Goldsmith who had already laid some down IIRC. 
  • Options
    He redid them all, save the intro to Up In Arms and Doll I think. Was why William left.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    Edved82 said:
    Why? 

I was also disappointed in the set lists at the tributes, but that doesn’t make me like their music or desire a follow up album any less. Sure, it was a missed opportunity, but it’s not as if TCV were on the bill by name. 
    Because their performances were mediocre at best. As you can probably tell by my user name I am a Zep fanatic and was a bit shocked at how frail JPJ looked. I know he's old but there are plenty of older rockers who don't look so fragile. They can always do an album without a tour I guess. The piss poor Elton John cover and playing a QOTSA song instead of TCV songs bothered me too. Are they actually into the project or was it just an excuse to play together two last times? 
  • Options
    Maybe they were mindful of the rift when Dave went to play with Josh in Queens. Maybe they really wanted Elton to play with them but he couldn't make it. Maybe DEF and Gunman were songs Taylor loved and LSG was Josh's own tribute to him. Spitballing but the gig wasn't about TCV obviously so maybe it wasn't the time to do any full fledged stuff in their eyes.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    JT167846 said:
    Maybe they were mindful of the rift when Dave went to play with Josh in Queens. Maybe they really wanted Elton to play with them but he couldn't make it. Maybe DEF and Gunman were songs Taylor loved and LSG was Josh's own tribute to him. Spitballing but the gig wasn't about TCV obviously so maybe it wasn't the time to do any full fledged stuff in their eyes.
    I'm curious why that would have to do anything with it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2022
    ZoSoTim said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Edved82 said:
    Why? 

Because their performances were mediocre at best. As you can probably tell by my user name I am a Zep fanatic and was a bit shocked at how frail JPJ looked. I know he's old but there are plenty of older rockers who don't look so fragile. They can always do an album without a tour I guess. The piss poor Elton John cover and playing a QOTSA song instead of TCV songs bothered me too. Are they actually into the project or was it just an excuse to play together two last times? 
    They would have to look way worse than that to make me lose interest in new material from them. 

& Idk, I didn’t think JPJ looked all that bad. I think some of the other artists you’re thinking of are the aberration, not the norm. 

I hope I can plug in my bass & play some songs with my friends when I’m 76yo. 
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    ZoSoTim said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Edved82 said:
    Why? 

I think you're probably reading far too much into the set. It purely struck me as a "we have no time so lets just get together and play a couple of easy to play tunes without getting sucked into large scale rehearsals" situation. Was a bit worrying to see JPJ looking so frail though. He's always looked about 20 years younger than his actual age but he didn't look in the best of shape. He's only 76.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    I'd think it would take LESS rehearsal time to play your own songs instead of covers but what do I know?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    I also noticed JPJ looked old, but I also haven't seen him since TCV performances over a decade ago. we have the benefit of seeing other older artirts more often so their gradual aging isn't as striking. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    Shane Hawkins
    This.....or maybe rotating drummers

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Clearly Them Crooked Vultures aren't as into Them Crooked Vultures as the rest of us are. 

Oh well.