JAZZ

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

brianlux said:
    KOB 45rpm UHQR is up at acoustic sounds 

weird because chad said that wasn’t the next UHQR. 

They did mistakenly go live with a Steely Dan UHQR a couple weeks ago though. So who knows if KOB is really the next one or not.  Says it’s shipping Monday so maybe it is 

My old brain... 

NEVA mind. :lol:
    Kind of Blue? 😂

Blame it on lack of oxygen, haha
    Until you are blue in the face until you are exhausted with no results  Blue  in the face Carbon dioxide New york post

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

They did mistakenly go live with a Steely Dan UHQR a couple weeks ago though. So who knows if KOB is really the next one or not.  Says it’s shipping Monday so maybe it is 

Which Dan???
    Katy lied.  It was numbered UHQR 12

People  were able to preorder before it was removed 

That's really interesting.  Katy Lied is the album that the band hated the sound.  And I agree,  it's the worst of my Dan Og's.  Do you know if it's a fresh mix and master? I would love to have a better version of this record.  I love the songs on it.  Although that's a low bar,  since I love everything the Dan does.  

Will you let me know when it hits again if you see it? I don't want to miss that one.  
    If it goes up I’ll let you know. 

It’s got to be redone or why release it? I always thought the issues were in the masters though.  It’ll be interesting to see what they did to it as I think it’s pretty surely being released at some point since they posted it.  It’s 20k copies 
    I'm not sure if it's the mix or the master.  But AP has high standards so in Chad We Trust.   
    Are you getting the 45 KOB?  I think I'm passing.  I have 2 of the 33s and two 45s from MOFI. I really don't like this record spread across 4 sides. It's kind of like Dark Side to me.  That could never be a 45.  Plus,  how much better can it get?  The 33 is stunning. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

That's really interesting.  Katy Lied is the album that the band hated the sound.  And I agree,  it's the worst of my Dan Og's.  Do you know if it's a fresh mix and master? I would love to have a better version of this record.  I love the songs on it.  Although that's a low bar,  since I love everything the Dan does.  

Will you let me know when it hits again if you see it? I don't want to miss that one.  

It’s got to be redone or why release it? I always thought the issues were in the masters though.  It’ll be interesting to see what they did to it as I think it’s pretty surely being released at some point since they posted it.  It’s 20k copies 
    I'm not sure if it's the mix or the master.  But AP has high standards so in Chad We Trust.   
    Are you getting the 45 KOB?  I think I'm passing.  I have 2 of the 33s and two 45s from MOFI. I really don't like this record spread across 4 sides. It's kind of like Dark Side to me.  That could never be a 45.  Plus,  how much better can it get?  The 33 is stunning. 
    I got rid of my mofi 45 so yeah.  The 33 Uhqr sounded better than the mofi to me. 

Digital or not, I still like mofi one steps though minus the horrible packaging (KOB isn’t one obviously) so that’s not why I sold it 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

Guess this is new too.

I checked, Tull,Davis 33, Hendrix AYE don’t have this in the box minus the explanation of the process

Every UHQR will be hand inspected upon pressing completion, and only the truly flawless will be allowed to go to market. Each UHQR will be packaged in a deluxe box and will include a booklet detailing the entire process of making a UHQR along with a hand-signed certificate of inspection.
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

Chad posted a video and said the next 2 UHQR’s are almost ready. It’s in the new KOB video.

I don’t think it’s Dan though. It’s Bob Marley 

screen grab from a different video 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

Chad posted a video and said the next 2 UHQR’s are almost ready. It’s in the new KOB video.

What was the second one?
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

What was the second one?
    No idea. He said “very limited”
    Dan was supposedly 20k so my guess is Rastaman Vibration and something else 

I can’t see a situation where they can get another huge run through anytime soon. KOB is still only 1/2 pressed 

chad seems to be all over the place though. A few months ago he basically said jazz stuff, now it appears not. I also think the first UHQR’s way back in 2013 were supposed to be Bill Evans vanguard/Debby and that never happened either at least that I ever saw.  They have the rights, that’s a no brainer 
  • The various versions of KOB

interesting because the classic and AP should sound the same as they used the same metal parts.

however pressing, profiles, vinyl formulations yield differences 

its an interesting watch with both chad and the founder of classic 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKb2WHrUN3o&feature=emb_logo
  • Good reviews coming in. However I doubt most have opened. That’s not dust.

Lots of this kind of stuff, warps etc.  not great by RTI.
    skipping using  gatefolds probably contributes 

if you buy it, open it 

Good reviews coming in. However I doubt most have opened. That’s not dust.

if you buy it, open it 

That's from the Riverside box?

They will replace it.  Too bad too.  Waltz for Debbie is great. 
    I went to the Birdland in NYC on Wed night for a show.  It ended up being a quintet (one alto, one tenor player) that played Giant Steps by Coltrane end to end.  It was really lovely.  They were great, especially this older Asian lady that just ripped the Wynn Kelly piano parts!  

Can't beat live Jazz in NY.  It just feels right. 
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:

if you buy it, open it 

I’m through 8 of 11

obviously that one is getting replaced. I’m no where near an overly picky person but when the scuffs affect play I’m getting it addressed.

TBH most of them have way more scratches than I’d expect from AP. 

3,000 boxes, 22 records per is 66,000 records and 132,000 playing sides so clearly it’s a lot to pack carefully 

im having to be selective in what I’m going to ask for replacements of though as it’s a lot otherwise 

im letting minor warps go 
  • Also FWIW explorations is the sleeper hit for me.

I’ve never had that on vinyl. It’s got tracks from trio 65 and montreaux on it that are some of my favorite tunes.
    same tracks with Scott LaFaro makes a big difference.

Also FWIW explorations is the sleeper hit for me.

I’ve never had that on vinyl. It’s got tracks from trio 65 and montreaux on it that are some of my favorite tunes.
    same tracks with Scott LaFaro makes a big difference.

Scott Lafaro was amazing, which is why I really like the Sunday at the Village and Waltz stuff.  What a tragedy that he was gone so young. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I went to the Birdland in NYC on Wed night for a show.  It ended up being a quintet (one alto, one tenor player) that played Giant Steps by Coltrane end to end.  It was really lovely.  They were great, especially this older Asian lady that just ripped the Wynn Kelly piano parts!  

Oh man, I would so live to experience that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh man, I would so live to experience that!
    Out of curiosity are there any west coast types of jazz places in your area?

that could be fun too 

I know NY still has some good clubs. Don’t hear much about the other coast though 
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

I was very saddened to hear about that. 
    I posted a thread about his passing and not one person responded.  I've been a big Sanders fan for over 50 years. I saddens me to see that his life's work was not recognized more widely and that it is almost non-existent here. Thank you for caring and noticing.  He was a giant of jazz and created an amazing body of work.

edited September 2022
    brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

I posted a thread about his passing and not one person responded.  I've been a big Sanders fan for over 50 years. I saddens me to see that his life's work was not recognized more widely and that it is almost non-existent here. Thank you for caring and noticing.  He was a giant of jazz and created an amazing body of work.

I’m listening to his “essentials” playlist on tidal 

TBH I’d never heard his work prior. I’d heard of him though 
    brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

Very cool!  I hope you find some things you like.
    A good place to start with Pharoah is Thembi.  The more recent Journey to the One is also a good introduction.  Some of his more intense works like Tauhid or his work with John Coltrane (Live in Seattle, for example) are harder to get into but very rewarding.
    Regarding your question about places out here that are good jazz venues, Yoshi's in Oakland is surely the best.  Since I don't get out much anymore, it's been awhile, but I've seen some terrific shows there.   I went with a friend once to see Herb Ellis who after the set took us up on an offer to buy him a drink and sat down and talk to us for a good while! 
    Another memorable show seeing Cecil Taylor there.  Taylor was a bit late for his set and came charging in from the back of the room practically screaming.  He ran up to the piano and tore right into his set.  That was an interesting show!

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I love Thembi!  Floating Points is awesome with London Symphony Orchestra.  Also, Karma will be re-issued soon from the Verve Acoustic Series from Analog Productions.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

A good place to start with Pharoah is Thembi.  The more recent Journey to the One is also a good introduction.  Some of his more intense works like Tauhid or his work with John Coltrane (Live in Seattle, for example) are harder to get into but very rewarding.
    Regarding your question about places out here that are good jazz venues, Yoshi's in Oakland is surely the best.  Since I don't get out much anymore, it's been awhile, but I've seen some terrific shows there.   I went with a friend once to see Herb Ellis who after the set took us up on an offer to buy him a drink and sat down and talk to us for a good while! 
    Another memorable show seeing Cecil Taylor there.  Taylor was a bit late for his set and came charging in from the back of the room practically screaming.  He ran up to the piano and tore right into his set.  That was an interesting show!
    Ironically stuff from  Thembi is what I liked best so far, despite the horrible album art 😂

Essential playlists are tough as it seems to run the spectrum 

I’ll do that album in its entirety 
  • brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

Didn’t see your thread, sorry man. OC called him the best tenor sax player in the world. A true jazz legend. 
    I love Thembi!  Floating Points is awesome with London Symphony Orchestra.  Also, Karma will be re-issued soon from the Verve Acoustic Series from Analog Productions.

Karma is being reissued?!  That is massively good news!  I have wanted that album for a long time!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

Ironically stuff from  Thembi is what I liked best so far, despite the horrible album art 😂

Essential playlists are tough as it seems to run the spectrum 

I’ll do that album in its entirety 

Great!  I think you'll like it. 
    I wonder if what you've seen is a reissue?  I've always liked the Thembi cover a lot:
    Primary

brianlux said:
    RIP Pharaoh Sanders. 

Didn’t see your thread, sorry man. OC called him the best tenor sax player in the world. A true jazz legend. 

Hey, seriously, not problem at all!  It's wonderful that you recognize Sanders excellence and I was glad to see you mention him!

• Hey, seriously, not problem at all!  It's wonderful that you recognize Sanders excellence and I was glad to see you mention him!

You bet! Appreciate you giving him a shout out as well, but I don’t think there are a ton of jazz aficionados on this board. 
    I’m Canadian btw. We say sorry all the time, it is almost disingenuous at this point 😂
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Pharoah was amazing. Got to see him twice and feel grateful. 
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    Pharoah was amazing. Got to see him twice and feel grateful. 

That great- I can only imagine how cool that was.  I'm sorry to say I never got around to seeing Pharoah.  One of the great omissions of my concert going over the years. But the music never dies and I'm glad to have several records of his terrific work to listen to.

• mrussel1 said:

if you buy it, open it 

They already sent replacement records out. So that’s great 

Kind of funny as they just said OK and mailed them. They are making other people break the records and send photos of the record destroyed before sending 

kind of makes me think they keep track of chronic replacement seekers 
    edited September 2022

Hey, seriously, not problem at all!  It's wonderful that you recognize Sanders excellence and I was glad to see you mention him!

You bet! Appreciate you giving him a shout out as well, but I don’t think there are a ton of jazz aficionados on this board. 
    I’m Canadian btw. We say sorry all the time, it is almost disingenuous at this point 😂
     Not surprising 

Currently rewatching the PBS Jazz documentary (basically post war to fusion as that’s my favorite era). That’s also what most people are talking about when saying Jazz it seems. Not everyone but I would guess most 

id say somewhere between 1956-1966 (roughly) is what most people listen to today, even though I’m missing Charlie Parker here so maybe 1953-1965. It was surprisingly niche then after the bebop years and WWII.  That always surprises me as is the compressed time scale which contains most of these albums. when looking back, that is probably peak jazz and no where near as popular as pre war jazz.
  • Evans box set is phenomenal