*** Pearl Jam Ottawa, Canada Fanviews 9/3/22 ***

2»

Comments

• Loujoe said:
    PJNB said:
    Had another amazing time last night in Ottawa.

Huge fan of the sit down start since we lost the first encore with these new sets. Of the Girl is one of my fav openers so always a pleasure to hear that. Garden sitting down and so early is a really great choice. It is such an underrated live song and surprised me that early. NAIS keeps following me around and no complaints here love that song. 

Once they started picking up the pace the crowd responded better than I expected based off Ottawa’s reputation. Given to Fly as the song choice to get it going was perfect. Shout out to the 14 year old and dad next to me in GA who really wanted to hear it and it was fun bouncing around with them. 

Evenflow with the extended Mike solo was excellent too. You could see a stage crew member signal to him Eddie needed more time and to keep going and he did just that. Songs 11 to 17 were a lot of hits but just seemed perfect for the crowd. A shortened 7oclock is ver welcomed as I always found that one too wordy and long live losing its momentum later in the song. Last night was a perfect length. Immortality is top 3 favourite song for me along with Present Tense and Release. Loved the version last night and the crowd was very into it. Was lucky to get a used pick from Eddie in QC after Present Tense and somehow got the one used for Immortality last night. Coming from those two songs is so fucking cool to me and we will keep those forever. 

The encore is very much the most predictable part of the show now but I was happy with the small song changes they made. It had been awhile since I heard Crazy Mary so that was fun to sing along to live again. Also  Fuckin Up is such a badass song and would that to be swapped in more. 

For the crew in the back of the stage rocking out all night I just want to say you guys did a great job! The guy in the white tshirt who got the Tambo if you are on here I got a great vid of it and can send it to you.

Drastic plastic!  Seeing more Jeff picks. Hope he starts dumping them like MM.
    @loujoe you read  my mind
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • edited September 2022
    First Pearl Jam show since 2016, and have been holding onto the GA tickets since 2020 with anticipation! Walked into the pit maybe 10 minutes before the band hit the stage, and had an amazing vantage point smack in the middle. The pit is A LOT smaller than I anticipated the return on investment of camping out the night before is being on the rail, and a difference of 15-17 ft than walking into the arena before the band hits the stage?

A fun set. The sit-down opener was definitely reflective for me: I've been seeing this band for over 2 decades, and we're all getting older and physically not capable of the same things anymore. Definitely the pandemic helped put our own mortality into perspective, and that this (delayed) tour is finally happening under different circumstances, globally and even in our own lives.   

The old obsessive PJ fan in me would've loved all the deep tracks, loved the string of Yield songs in sequence. Even the stock setlist tracks had me going after not having heard this band live after a 6-year break. Corduroy through Porch were scorchers and a solid string of songs to get the building rocking out

But woke up next morning without that "can't wait to that again" feeling, and offloaded my Hamilton and Toronto 10c tickets. I'm glad Ottawa has become a regular stop on their on North American tours so I can take in a local show, have a fun night, but gone are my days of following the band around multiple shows on the same tour. 
    Post edited by Three Crooked Hearts on
    Have you ideas on how this life ends?

Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Kitchener 09-11-2005 / Hamilton 09-13-2005 / Ottawa 09-16-2005 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Toronto 05-10-2006 / Toronto 08-21-2009 / Montreal 09-07-2011 / Toronto 09-11-2011 / Toronto 09-12-2011 / Ottawa 09-14-2011 / London 07/16/2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2022
    My Ottawa observations:

1. The first six songs. AWESOME. Of the Girl is a terrific opener & to get this as an opener was a bucket list item for me. Garden in the #2 slot was surprising and a treat. Alright was cool, one of my favorite songs from the new record.  NAIS was awesome in the #4 slot and would make for a great opener (I know its been done before). Given to Fly was a great way to pick up the pace and it got the crowd going nuts.

2. Mike McCready. The guy was out of his mind.

3. Great renditions of Immortality and Black.

4. Crowd energy was great.

5. Given the nature of shorter sets I thought the appropriate number of Gigaton songs were played. However, I would have liked to hear Whoever Said (scratched from setlist)  as it is my favorite song off the new record. DOTC was pretty cool live.

6. Riot Act, Pearl Jam, No Code and Backspacer missing. One from each would have been nice.

7. The encore was a little bland for my liking. I'll never get sick of Alive and Fuckin' Up is awesome. Maybe throw in at least one b-side/rarity.

8. Double fisting Molson drafts. Goodnight, Canada!

9. Overall, great show. Super happy I made the last minute trip.
    Post edited by pearldavidson on
  • Wow what an amazing experience, altogether and a perfect night for my 50th show. 

I attended the show with my 21 year old son Dylan, (his 10th show) we drove up from Pepperell Massachusetts. We had GA tickets from the10c {thank you 10c} from 2020, so this was a great three day weekend {rescheduled show) road trip for us. We checked in our hotel late Friday evening and went down to the venue to scope out the GA line and get our bearing's set on the plan. We drove into the venue, we saw those beautiful red tractor trailer trucks parked in the this empty parking lot, we drove around the building and finally found the GA line in a corner of the building,  in the handicap parking lot. There were about 20-30 people there at this time, setting up tents hanging out , it was a beautiful evening, the sun was setting everyone was so excited to be there. A young girl and her mom came over and welcomed us and we thought about joining them, but ultimately, that was not part of the plan.

Dylan's plan was to get up at 6am, work out, and have me drop him off at  the GA line at 7:00am, I could go back to the hotel have breakfast, shower and bring back food and stuff for him later that morning. Dylan, at 21, has the same love for this band as some of the long time diehards we met on the GA line. At nine he attended his first show, at Newark NJ in 2010, We were treated to 2nd row, just to the right of Stone Gossard, thanks to the 10c will-call attendant's, At nine he could sing every word off of "Avocado" and managed his way to first row where of course Ed tosses him a tambourine during Alive, Prior to that moment there was a brief interaction with him and Ed, where  they were singing "Life's Wasted" together. Ed in his Chicago Bears jersey, Dylan in his NY Giants jersey, truly amazing.

Dylan's dedication got us wrist band  #'s 40 & 41 and we were part of a group of fifty lead into the venue at about 5:30pm. We really wanted to be hanging on the rail in front of Jeff, between Mike and Edie, but location was the most important and 2nd row behind a group of shorter women turn out to be the perfect spot. 

"Of the Girl" , followed by  "Garden" into "Nothing as It Seems"  opener for me was pure magic and set the mood for an incredible, unforgettable night. The band was on fire the entire night. They fed off the amazing crowd in this very large arena, but managed to make it feel intimate at the same time. Watching each of them interact with each other is so great, at one point during the end of "Betterman" Mike and Ed come together jamming guitar solo's Ed reaches to fuck Mike up Mike does the same to Eddie, it is just so special to watch how much enjoyment they get playing together still,  almost as much or maybe more than we get from watching them.

The 1st set was almost two hours long and now a days hearing that opening riff to  "Porch" is just sad, knowing that we are nearing the end, but it is still such a great song live at the same time, During "Alive" the tambourines come out as the first one is tossed to a young kid, maybe nine or ten, first row just to our right. During our wait on  the GA line the conversation around us was about renting a kid to bring to the show, it is a guaranteed tambourine. Dylan and I joked earlier that if he were to get another tambourine would he give it away to someone and he was like no way I am keeping it. During "Fucking Up" i notice Ed making eye contact with Dylan as they we both singing,  Eddie has two tambourines in his hand  and he smashes open one, walks stage right tosses into the crowd and comes right back towards us, he points to Dylan and tosses him the other. It was the perfect cap to a great day. He earned it, if it was not for him getting up early and dedicating the day to being as close and we could, none of this would have happened. 

At one point during the show Ed told a story of not going the see the Jackson Five when he was six or seven with his family and how great it was seeing the young kids at the shows with their dads. It was unforgettable twelve years ago and even better this times as he's a bit older now and better able to truly appreciate it. It was a very special show #50 for me. 

Next show I have tickets for is the Bourbon & Beyond festival  in Louisville KY but I am hoping I can find an extra MSG ticket for 9/11 if any one has any insight on how to obtain one of those please let me know, I lived in NY during this day,  I was at MSG in 1998 on 9/11, and 7/8/03 the 1st time back the band was back in NYC after 9/11, t think this night will be  extra special as well. This will always be a tough day in history but what a better way to heal than at a Pearl Jam show,

96 NY II ,CT, / 98 NJ, MSG I & II , DC, MD
    00 NY I, II, III , NJ I & II / 03 LI , NJ I , MSG I & II , NJ
    04 MA I, FL , PA / 05-NJ I & II
    06 NJ I & II, NY , CT / 08 NJ , MSG I & II, CT
    09- PA III & IV / 10 CT, NJ, MSG II
    11 Montreal / 13 MA 1 & 2 , Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited September 2022
    Garden might be their best song live, at the very least their best sing along chorus (looking at you hearts and thoughts). First time in fifteen years for me for garden, and also hadn’t  seen YL in a surprisingly long time either. Exhaustingly long trip, very long wait at customs getting back, but this band is special, and the crowd was dynamite! 

Oh, and when the US border agent asked why I left the US, his face lit up when I told him it was to see Pearl Jam. Edit, he probably gets that a lot this month!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    arriepjf said:
    Wow what an amazing experience, altogether and a perfect night for my 50th show. 

I attended the show with my 21 year old son Dylan, (his 10th show) we drove up from Pepperell Massachusetts. We had GA tickets from the10c {thank you 10c} from 2020, so this was a great three day weekend {rescheduled show) road trip for us. We checked in our hotel late Friday evening and went down to the venue to scope out the GA line and get our bearing's set on the plan. We drove into the venue, we saw those beautiful red tractor trailer trucks parked in the this empty parking lot, we drove around the building and finally found the GA line in a corner of the building,  in the handicap parking lot. There were about 20-30 people there at this time, setting up tents hanging out , it was a beautiful evening, the sun was setting everyone was so excited to be there. A young girl and her mom came over and welcomed us and we thought about joining them, but ultimately, that was not part of the plan.

Dylan's plan was to get up at 6am, work out, and have me drop him off at  the GA line at 7:00am, I could go back to the hotel have breakfast, shower and bring back food and stuff for him later that morning. Dylan, at 21, has the same love for this band as some of the long time diehards we met on the GA line. At nine he attended his first show, at Newark NJ in 2010, We were treated to 2nd row, just to the right of Stone Gossard, thanks to the 10c will-call attendant's, At nine he could sing every word off of "Avocado" and managed his way to first row where of course Ed tosses him a tambourine during Alive, Prior to that moment there was a brief interaction with him and Ed, where  they were singing "Life's Wasted" together. Ed in his Chicago Bears jersey, Dylan in his NY Giants jersey, truly amazing.

Dylan's dedication got us wrist band  #'s 40 & 41 and we were part of a group of fifty lead into the venue at about 5:30pm. We really wanted to be hanging on the rail in front of Jeff, between Mike and Edie, but location was the most important and 2nd row behind a group of shorter women turn out to be the perfect spot. 

"Of the Girl" , followed by  "Garden" into "Nothing as It Seems"  opener for me was pure magic and set the mood for an incredible, unforgettable night. The band was on fire the entire night. They fed off the amazing crowd in this very large arena, but managed to make it feel intimate at the same time. Watching each of them interact with each other is so great, at one point during the end of "Betterman" Mike and Ed come together jamming guitar solo's Ed reaches to fuck Mike up Mike does the same to Eddie, it is just so special to watch how much enjoyment they get playing together still,  almost as much or maybe more than we get from watching them.

The 1st set was almost two hours long and now a days hearing that opening riff to  "Porch" is just sad, knowing that we are nearing the end, but it is still such a great song live at the same time, During "Alive" the tambourines come out as the first one is tossed to a young kid, maybe nine or ten, first row just to our right. During our wait on  the GA line the conversation around us was about renting a kid to bring to the show, it is a guaranteed tambourine. Dylan and I joked earlier that if he were to get another tambourine would he give it away to someone and he was like no way I am keeping it. During "Fucking Up" i notice Ed making eye contact with Dylan as they we both singing,  Eddie has two tambourines in his hand  and he smashes open one, walks stage right tosses into the crowd and comes right back towards us, he points to Dylan and tosses him the other. It was the perfect cap to a great day. He earned it, if it was not for him getting up early and dedicating the day to being as close and we could, none of this would have happened. 

At one point during the show Ed told a story of not going the see the Jackson Five when he was six or seven with his family and how great it was seeing the young kids at the shows with their dads. It was unforgettable twelve years ago and even better this times as he's a bit older now and better able to truly appreciate it. It was a very special show #50 for me. 

Next show I have tickets for is the Bourbon & Beyond festival  in Louisville KY but I am hoping I can find an extra MSG ticket for 9/11 if any one has any insight on how to obtain one of those please let me know, I lived in NY during this day,  I was at MSG in 1998 on 9/11, and 7/8/03 the 1st time back the band was back in NYC after 9/11, t think this night will be  extra special as well. This will always be a tough day in history but what a better way to heal than at a Pearl Jam show,

Hey. I was standing right next to Dylan. I was the girl in the Bowie shirt from NYC. I was so glad to see him get a tambourine. He told me all about your first show together. It’s great you are still going to shows together all these years later. 
  • Really liked the show on Saturday night.  The last time I was in Ottawa was in 2005 which ended up being my favorite PJ show ive attended.  It may have looked short on paper but it brought the goods and was over 2.5 hours.  I'd much rather less songs, but have the songs that are played be played well and extended.  If the songs are going to sound just like they do on the album then what's the point of going to see them live- imo of course.  The opening 5 songs were incredible- was so happy to get an Of the Girl (my first since '03), though wish it was extended a bit more.  Garden in the 2 spot was amazing  and then NAIS was icing on the cake. Three Yield songs in a row was terrific and nice to get DTE earlier in the set.  Always happy to see Immortality and was really digging the extended Even Flow solo from Mike.  Stone was the MVP for me killing the DTE and Fuckin' Up solos.  Wasn't planning on doing any other shows unless I can miraculously find an MSG ticket, but now I'm thinking I might have to try and fit another in.  Can't wait to see how the tour unfolds. Cheers!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    Garden might be their best song live, at the very least their best sing along chorus (looking at you hearts and thoughts). First time in fifteen years for me for garden, and also hadn’t  seen YL in a surprisingly long time either. Exhaustingly long trip, very long wait at customs getting back, but this band is special, and the crowd was dynamite! 

Oh, and when the US border agent asked why I left the US, his face lit up when I told him it was to see Pearl Jam. Edit, he probably gets that a lot this month!
    I had a great conversation with a border agent about PJ when I left as well. He saw my PJ shirt and started talking about how jealous he was that I was at the show the night before. We were chatting it up about PJ for a few minutes so I might have inadvertently contributed to the long wait at customs! My bad!
  • fenixfenix Posts: 24
    13th show!! 
    Had the best time on the floor, I was nonstop energy. Got stuck in that pouring rain just before the show. But completely forgot about it once the show started!! 
    Amazing time. Except I'm pissed I used corduroy as my pee song and missed the beginning of Immortality. First Immortality ever for me. 
    Shout out to the dude that thanked me for my energy at the end of the show. My body is still sore! 

See y'all in Toronto. 
  • palm0014palm0014 Ottawa, ON Posts: 52
    My wife dropped out at the last minute so I called up a bud and offered him the ticket.  

On the way to show I found out that it would be his first time seeing Pearl Jam!  This blew my mind considering I catch them whenever I can.

He said to me "Boy, I hope they play Garden and Sirens."

My external voice: "Yeah maybe!  Here's to hoping."
    My internal voice: "NO WAY they are playing Garden.  Good luck!"

Bam.  Song #2 my bud looks at me with incredulous eyes and I'm thinking "Oh man, it's going to be one of those nights."

First time in GA and it was glorious.  I was hanging in the back area of GA and we were all having the time of their lives.  We were going so hard on Corduroy that the guy next to me exchanged a fist bump with no words spoken at the end of the song.  That's all that is needed to acknowledge the moment.  Pearl Jam, here, now, nothing else can go wrong.

Great show, great set (especially with my bud whose first show it was...a good mix of the hits and rarities) and a great time all around.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Sad crossed out now for the second time....its totally fine if they wanna save that and Brother for Camden....id completely understand 😄

My girlfriend was sad they crossed it out both in Quebec City & Ottawa. Glad they come through and played it in Hamilton. :)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    gypsytea said:
    Great show! I brought my 9 year old daughter, and it was her first concert. Perfect setting to intro her to the live music scene. The PJ crowd is so chill and gracious (no surprise there), and starting off with a mini, mellow set of tunes, before kicking into high gear with GTF and Evolution was awesome. Mike shredding to a number of Ten classics was great. Seeing my daughter throwing her fist up and shouting repeatedly during the Alive solo was my highlight :) 
    I just got my commemorative tickets in the mail (I didn't go to the rescheduled date). Do you and your daughter want them? I'll mail em to you free of charge. @gypsytea
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gypsyteagypsytea Ottawa, On Posts: 3
    gypsytea said:
    Great show! I brought my 9 year old daughter, and it was her first concert. Perfect setting to intro her to the live music scene. The PJ crowd is so chill and gracious (no surprise there), and starting off with a mini, mellow set of tunes, before kicking into high gear with GTF and Evolution was awesome. Mike shredding to a number of Ten classics was great. Seeing my daughter throwing her fist up and shouting repeatedly during the Alive solo was my highlight :) 
    I just got my commemorative tickets in the mail (I didn't go to the rescheduled date). Do you and your daughter want them? I'll mail em to you free of charge. @gypsytea
    That would be awesome, @HughFreakingDillon. I'll totally take you up on that offer!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    gypsytea said:
    gypsytea said:
    That would be awesome, @HughFreakingDillon. I'll totally take you up on that offer!
    pm me the address you'd like them sent and I'll send em this weekend. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetrios said:
    This concert fucking rocked!!! 🤟🇨🇦❤️
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105

Fantastic show! Loved that they pulled out fuckin’ up at the end- the place went wild! Can’t wait to listen to the boot. 
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Listening to PJ as we speak and just thought how amazing Garden was. Highlights for sure.  Just amazing 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Listening to boot now, sounds fantastic and Ed sounds amazing. Remember being blown away by those first six, especially garden and of the girl really fit into the opening acoustic vibe also with tons of energy. Alright sounds great and was perfect for a new song in the three spot.
  • Finally received this bad boy.
    AP and dinged a customs fee…thanks Canadian Governent…hope you enjoy my $12 and UPS enjoys my $15….fuckers. 
    It smells fantastic!
    Will post an update once framed. 

It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Oh... I was at this show.  I drove down from Montreal and went with my brother-in-law.
    As always, we had a great time grooving along.  Really enjoyed hearing the classics as well as the newer songs.

Hope we get another tour soon.  And I hope I die before I get old.
    all that I am, all I'll be...