"I saw them in 19XX, and it was too late even by then"

2»

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Saw GnR at ACL in 2019 and Axl couldn't sing. The rest of the band was great though. Wish I would have seen them with the classic lineup in their heyday.
    Got to see them at a small punk rock club in Long Beach, CA called Fender's. They opened up for Cheap Trick, which was insane. They tossed out a couple of copies of their then new record called Live Like a F*cking Suicide. It was that early on and I will say it was glorious. I was front row and you could smell their junkie B.O. right when they stumbled onstage. I've probably told this story on these boards before, but that is what old men do. =)
    That’s awesome, thanks for sharing (I hadn’t yet read your story, lol)!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • JPPJ84 said:
    Saw Bob Dylan in 2019 (yes I know that’s a whole other thread ;) ) and it was definitely too late because the songs were unrecognizable.
    I saw him around 2007ish and it was the same even back then. It wasn’t just the worst concert I’ve ever seen. It was the worst performance of any sort I’ve ever seen either live or on television. Just awful in every way imaginable. 
    Saw him in 2005, 2010, 2019 and now at the end of this month.

COULDN'T LOOK FORWARD TO IT MORE. 
    OKAY!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Saw GnR at ACL in 2019 and Axl couldn't sing. The rest of the band was great though. Wish I would have seen them with the classic lineup in their heyday.
    I saw them on the Coma tour (94?) and even then felt it was too late, since Izzy wasn’t around by that point. Still a good show (even had Axl cut the show short and storm offstage) though.

I saw the reunited GNR in Seattle in 2016 and it was a pretty good show, but Axl doesn't quite sound like he did 30 years ago.  People say he sounds good a lot, and has off shows, but anytime I hear a recording he sounds ok.

The shame of it is, that I saw two guns n' replacements shows when I live in Edmonton.  I think the first one must of been around 06 maybe.   The show was epic.  It was so good, then Axl dueting with Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys was icing on the cake.

I find it odd, that of the 3 times I saw GNR, my favourite was the guns n' replacement show, not the reunited lineup.
  • Zod said:
    I saw them on the Coma tour (94?) and even then felt it was too late, since Izzy wasn’t around by that point. Still a good show (even had Axl cut the show short and storm offstage) though.

I saw the reunited GNR in Seattle in 2016 and it was a pretty good show, but Axl doesn't quite sound like he did 30 years ago.  People say he sounds good a lot, and has off shows, but anytime I hear a recording he sounds ok.

The shame of it is, that I saw two guns n' replacements shows when I live in Edmonton.  I think the first one must of been around 06 maybe.   The show was epic.  It was so good, then Axl dueting with Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys was icing on the cake.

I find it odd, that of the 3 times I saw GNR, my favourite was the guns n' replacement show, not the reunited lineup.
    There’s a ten year difference between 2006 and 2016. Axl ages. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    I guess I'll say Alice In Chains since I never got to see them with Layne Staley. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the times I've seen them with William though. I just wish I could have seen Layne once before he died.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Meat Loaf in 94.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Got to see them at a small punk rock club in Long Beach, CA called Fender's. They opened up for Cheap Trick, which was insane. They tossed out a couple of copies of their then new record called Live Like a F*cking Suicide. It was that early on and I will say it was glorious. I was front row and you could smell their junkie B.O. right when they stumbled onstage. I've probably told this story on these boards before, but that is what old men do. =)

I saw them open for Aerosmith a few years after that.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    That's cool. I've never been lucky enough to have seen a huge band before they were famous.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    ZoSoTim said:
    I guess I'll say Alice In Chains since I never got to see them with Layne Staley. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the times I've seen them with William though. I just wish I could have seen Layne once before he died.
    AIC is really good with William but yeah I wish I would've seen them with Layne.
    That's cool. I've never been lucky enough to have seen a huge band before they were famous.
    The only band I have that experience with is the one we all know and love, Pearl Jam, when I saw them in 1991. I’m 99% sure I had a conversation with Ed (or possibly one of the other members) outside when I had to go out to cool off for a few minutes (on the bootleg of their next show at the same venue a comment is made that if you’re too hot you can always step outside, but I can’t call that definitive proof, lol). Stoopid me wouldn’t see them live again until 2016 (though I did listen to many bootlegs along the way), lol.

That 1991 show blew my socks off! First time McCready melted my face!!!

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    The only band I have that experience with is the one we all know and love, Pearl Jam, when I saw them in 1991. I’m 99% sure I had a conversation with Ed (or possibly one of the other members) outside when I had to go out to cool off for a few minutes (on the bootleg of their next show at the same venue a comment is made that if you’re too hot you can always step outside, but I can’t call that definitive proof, lol). Stoopid me wouldn’t see them live again until 2016 (though I did listen to many bootlegs along the way), lol.

I think we pretty much followed the same PJ concert path...
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2

I think we pretty much followed the same PJ concert path...
    At least we found our way back to the Electric Church, Pearl Jam chapter, lol (the Electric Church is a Jimi Hendrix idea that I just love, it’s about feeling and sounds (cue feedback)).

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CSNY. Clapton. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    While I'm not much of a fan of theirs, I saw Disturbed open for someone (maybe Danzig?) at a small club before they hit it big. I could tell they were on the cusp of breaking through. When they actually did, I was happy for those guys and appreciated the experience I had watching them a few months earlier. It is a cool experience to know when you are seeing a band right before they hit the big time. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    I don't think its too late to see the Stones. Granted, Charlie is gone, but Mick is as energetic as he's ever been. It's never too late to see legends like that.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    Probably Aerosmith in 1997 on their Nine Lives tour for me.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • -The Police in 2007 (reunion tour). Still put on a good show.

-Stone Temple Pilots around 2008. 

-
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Saw Bob Dylan in 2019 (yes I know that’s a whole other thread ;) ) and it was definitely too late because the songs were unrecognizable.
    I saw him around 2007ish and it was the same even back then. It wasn’t just the worst concert I’ve ever seen. It was the worst performance of any sort I’ve ever seen either live or on television. Just awful in every way imaginable. 
    Finally someone who agrees with me ;) 
    I agree too Dylan was one of the worst I have seen,  just played a bunch of incoherent songs, no hits, no talk about anything.  I admire him just getting down to business,  but I am glad MMJ opened and made it worth the trip
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    eddiec said:

I saw them open for Aerosmith a few years after that.

Saw that Aerosmith tour. GnR fucking tore it up. Aerosmith were really good too but fuck GnR blew them off their own stage....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Pink Floyd 1995, Arrowhead KC. 
    www.cluthelee.com