Options

"I saw them in 19XX, and it was too late even by then"

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,984
edited September 2022 in Other Music
I have an acquaintance, who when I told him I was going to see Rolling Stones this summer said "I saw them in 1976, and it was too late even by then". 

What artists have you seen when you felt it was "too late even by then", and why?

I GO FIRST

I saw KISS in 2022, and it was too late even by then because it was not the original lineup and Paul Stanley is lip syncing BUT Gene is still entertaining and it was still a very fun night out.

I imagine it was late even by 1979 with all the Dynasty-flair

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    Usually I don't go and see them because I do feel that I "missed it" but see them at the end to say that I did because they do have a legendary status.

Allman Brothers
    Leonard Cohen
    Alice Cooper
    Motley Crue
    Patti Smith
    Anthrax

I'm sure there are others.  These bands were fun to see but by no means in their prime.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Saw Bob Dylan in 2019 (yes I know that’s a whole other thread ;) ) and it was definitely too late because the songs were unrecognizable.

Also saw Roxette during their farewell tour (2018??) and that was bittersweet as hell. It was too late to see Marie healthy and the band in full force but I was glad to have seen them before she passed away 
  • Options
    Usually I don't go and see them because I do feel that I "missed it" but see them at the end to say that I did because they do have a legendary status.

Allman Brothers
    Leonard Cohen
    Alice Cooper
    Motley Crue
    Patti Smith
    Anthrax

I'm sure there are others.  These bands were fun to see but by no means in their prime.
    I saw Leonard Cohen in 2010 and it is one of the best concerts I have ever seen.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Allman Brothers
    Leonard Cohen
    Alice Cooper
    Motley Crue
    Patti Smith
    Anthrax

I saw Leonard Cohen in 2010 and it is one of the best concerts I have ever seen.
    I fell asleep.  He was not my bag just like Nick Cave, Type o Negative, Tom Waits and Life of Agony.
  • Options
    REM on what ended up being their last tour. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    Motorhead...we saw them not too long before Lemmy died.

Lemmy gave it his all but he was obviously sick as hell
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Motorhead...we saw them not too long before Lemmy died.

Lemmy gave it his all but he was obviously sick as hell
    Oh man really?  At least you did get to see him.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,502
    I saw Stones in1998..too late??.. not sure..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    I agree on KISS.  I saw them play about 5 or so years ago, and they felt past their prime.   Gene seemed visibly irritated that the crowd wasn't getting into it.

I saw the Stones in 2019, but I feel I saw them on time.  Maybe not their hey dey, but I got to see them before Charlie passed.

Counting crows I saw in 2016, not good.  They were probably better in the 90s.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    Everything I've read is that they are STILL good.  I thought their Steel Wheels tour was their last great tour but apparently not.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,891
    Sex Pistols reunion. No regrets, though.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    Everything I've read is that they are STILL good.  I thought their Steel Wheels tour was their last great tour but apparently not.
    I saw the Steel Wheels tour. It was good. I think I was more excited to see the opener. Was it GnR?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Sex Pistols reunion. No regrets, though.
    That's interesting...  People have begged for a Fugazi reunion.  It will NEVER happen.
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Saw Bob Dylan in 2019 (yes I know that’s a whole other thread ;) ) and it was definitely too late because the songs were unrecognizable.
    I saw him around 2007ish and it was the same even back then. It wasn’t just the worst concert I’ve ever seen. It was the worst performance of any sort I’ve ever seen either live or on television. Just awful in every way imaginable. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    I saw him around 2007ish and it was the same even back then. It wasn’t just the worst concert I’ve ever seen. It was the worst performance of any sort I’ve ever seen either live or on television. Just awful in every way imaginable. 
    Finally someone who agrees with me ;) 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Saw him in 2005, 2010, 2019 and now at the end of this month.

COULDN'T LOOK FORWARD TO IT MORE. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,984
    edited September 2022
    JPPJ84 said:
    Also saw Roxette during their farewell tour (2018??) and that was bittersweet as hell. It was too late to see Marie healthy and the band in full force but I was glad to have seen them before she passed away 
    I saw the last tour with Marie, here in Sweden. Must have been 2015. On my birthday. Very happy I went. And she was still amazing. Even with resting on a stool all night. The rest of the "band" a bit goofy. Hehe.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Oh that's tight!  I saw Dylan in 2015 I think?  Awful...
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:

You must own a Cookie Monster sings Dylan album and have it on heavy rotation?
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    Saw GnR at ACL in 2019 and Axl couldn't sing. The rest of the band was great though. Wish I would have seen them with the classic lineup in their heyday.
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:

Is this a Gene Simmons reference
  • Options
    Saw GnR at ACL in 2019 and Axl couldn't sing. The rest of the band was great though. Wish I would have seen them with the classic lineup in their heyday.
    Heard he rocked back in 2010 though. If it is Axl sounding great you want.

https://youtu.be/8a4vKqVbGKw
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:

Is this a Gene Simmons reference
    No, you must like Dylans gravel voice that sounds like cookie monster...
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    I saw the last tour with Marie, here in Sweden. Must have been 2015. On my birthday. Very happy I went. And she was still amazing. Even with resting on a stool all night. The rest of the "band" a bit goofy. Hehe.

My gosh, has it been this long?!? 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Only one that I can think of that only comes close to fitting the premise of this thread (an interesting one at that).  In the spring of 1974, my sister and I bought tickets to see Duke Ellington and his orchestra.  The show was cancelled due to Mr. Ellington having an illness and within a few weeks he was dead.  I so wish I'd taken the opportunity to see that giant of jazz at an earlier date.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    edited September 2022
    JPPJ84 said:
    1999. Was too late then. 

And two we saw right before it was too late...Fleetwood Mac in 2015 right before they fired Lindsay Buckingham, and The Eagles in 2016 right before Glen Frey died. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    I saw them on the Coma tour (94?) and even then felt it was too late, since Izzy wasn’t around by that point. Still a good show (even had Axl cut the show short and storm offstage) though.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Van Halen, after Dave was gone. With Sammy wasn't bad, but based on what could have been if I had been a little older and managed to get to one of their shows.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I'm assuming you are saying the 1st time we saw them was too late, and not the latest time we saw them.

By that statement, I'd say Neil Young in ~1998. Just old dudes on stage playing to each other in what looked like a jam session in their basement. Little crowd interaction, played in a half circle facing each other for the most part. Just not for me at that time.
  • Options
    Got to see them at a small punk rock club in Long Beach, CA called Fender's. They opened up for Cheap Trick, which was insane. They tossed out a couple of copies of their then new record called Live Like a F*cking Suicide. It was that early on and I will say it was glorious. I was front row and you could smell their junkie B.O. right when they stumbled onstage. I've probably told this story on these boards before, but that is what old men do. =)
    2022- Oakland Night 2