*** Pearl Jam Camden, NJ Fanviews 9/14/22 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Is it me or were the crowd reactions and singing to leash and breath just as loud as the hits? Man what a great last few days. Can’t these last two shows out of my head. 
  • I agree about the crowds reaction to leash. It looked to me like Jeff was taken back by how loud the crowd was for Leash.  
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not sure it was mentioned but no mask for stone! Good sign. 
    Maybe because it's outdoors? Who knows.
  • I have 2 extra commemorative tickets coming. Happy to mail 1 to two different people for free. Just message me your address. Comment here first so folks know they are taken. 
  • rfherbstrfherbst Denver Posts: 28
    I would love to have a commemorative ticket if you still have an extra.  I attended first show withy my son so that would be great to have!
  • I am happy to take the ticket if still available. I am supposed to get some NFT ticket with the PJ MSG drop ticket I got but nobody has reached out from TM- shocking.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I'm sure I've said this before, but as a kid growing up in Philly I thought Dr. J was actually a doctor, as well as a superstar 76er.

I also thought every big city had their own cream cheese.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    2 days later, I'm still somewhat in a state of disbelief over what i experienced on Wednesday night.  As a late in life fan who got totally immersed in PJ 3 years ago, I worried that I'd never get to experience a live show.  Joined 10C in 2019 and somehow, lightning struck and I "won the lottery" - getting PIT seats for Camden in the 10C ticket draw.  Flew from Denver to Philly and met my son, who took the train down from NYC.  Managed to get center PIT, between MM and EV about 10 feet back.  Wow, what an incredible experience and night I'll never forget.  I brought a two-sided sign with "It's OK" on the front and "Esta Bien" on the back, really hoping to hear that tag on Daughter.   Seeing them start to play Daughter seated, with Ed not having a guitar, I realized it wasn't possible, but apparently Ed saw the sign as he threw in a couple of "Esta Bien" lines on the brief tag at the end.    Other highlights for me, - got a MM guitar pick and the IJ -SOLAT-Breath-Crazy Mary string was just incredible.   Great to meet a ton of OG 10C'ers in the crowd and an eternal thanks to the band for a night of my life!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    nicknyr15 said:
    Is it me or were the crowd reactions and singing to leash and breath just as loud as the hits? Man what a great last few days. Can’t these last two shows out of my head. 
    I gotta say my "singing along" with the Even Flows and Alives is a little bit perfunctory whereas the Leashes & Inside Jobs send me into uncontrollable screaming - sorry to the guys in front of me - actually not sorry they can go to hell.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    I gotta say my "singing along" with the Even Flows and Alives is a little bit perfunctory whereas the Leashes & Inside Jobs send me into uncontrollable screaming - sorry to the guys in front of me - actually not sorry they can go to hell.
    I agree. My participation is slightly forced sometimes on those songs. 

• I was trying to hold back my expectations after four years of anticipation since my last show, but Camden blew me away.  Seeing Mike and Matt pop up for different tracks during Josh's set and it being a very pleasant night along the river set the stage for a special show.  Hearing  Wash, Oceans and Hard to Imagine (first HTI for me!) in just the first handful of songs alone made the night already right there.  I did have to adjust my ears a bit for some of the down tuned faster ones but they were performed as fierce as ever.  Loved it.   Retrograde was fantastic although the crowd was more in listening mode for that one.  And Ed took some not so subtle shots at Elon Musk before Quick Escape saying something to the effect of why are all these resources going toward getting to Mars when only the rich will get to go if Earth goes under.  I think far and away Whoever Said got the strongest Gigaton reaction with a loud cheer greeting the band after that thunderous second half/outro.  Also that encore 2 I believe was the best of '22.  Great song selection and execution.   And holy cow that place has a huge lawn.  I was near the back of the seated section and It was really impressive to turn around and  see all the hands in the air during Alive

First visit to Philly and I hit up Dirty Franks (an ancient dive bar) for a beer and a shirt and  Angelo's Pizzeria for their killer sandwiches.  Recommend both places.  Also the ferry to Camden was really easy, recommend buying a ticket ahead of time on your phone.
  • rfherbst said:
    2 days later, I'm still somewhat in a state of disbelief over what i experienced on Wednesday night.  As a late in life fan who got totally immersed in PJ 3 years ago, I worried that I'd never get to experience a live show.  Joined 10C in 2019 and somehow, lightning struck and I "won the lottery" - getting PIT seats for Camden in the 10C ticket draw.  Flew from Denver to Philly and met my son, who took the train down from NYC.  Managed to get center PIT, between MM and EV about 10 feet back.  Wow, what an incredible experience and night I'll never forget.  I brought a two-sided sign with "It's OK" on the front and "Esta Bien" on the back, really hoping to hear that tag on Daughter.   Seeing them start to play Daughter seated, with Ed not having a guitar, I realized it wasn't possible, but apparently Ed saw the sign as he threw in a couple of "Esta Bien" lines on the brief tag at the end.    Other highlights for me, - got a MM guitar pick and the IJ -SOLAT-Breath-Crazy Mary string was just incredible.   Great to meet a ton of OG 10C'ers in the crowd and an eternal thanks to the band for a night of my life!
    Awesome story!  I noticed that in the Daughter tag, so cool that was for you!
  • Cabbie said:
    MS142392 said:
    Solat13 said:
    I was on the rail by the steps by Mike where he and Ed would come over a lot. The venue security guard told me and again these are his words, that the band wanted to go on around 8:45 but there was some wiring/electrical problem on Mike's side of the stage and that is what caused the delay
    This is very intriguing to me, because I was on Mike’s side of the stage and something was very wrong with the sound from his guitar. Much more feedback than usual (this was my tenth show) and a constant high pitch or squealing sound. Did anybody else notice this? Set list was fantastic but something was off with the sound.
    I was towards the back of section 204 (mike's side) and also found the audio quality to be poor, unfortunately. Very little clarity in the mid range led to Mike and Stone's guitar parts being very hard to discern from one another and caused the overall mix to sound quite muddy. Drums also sounded distorted, almost electronic. Definitely could have been a problem stemming from the PA on that side. I'm glad to hear that so many had such an awesome experience, but for me, the audio quality where I was standing kept me from becoming fully immersed. Regardless, awesome setlist and hugely positive experience and I'm so glad I could attend!

Yeah, agree on the sound quality. I was on the lawn and something was off. For the first 1/3 of the set, Stone's guitar was really low in the mix. And something was off with the tone of his and Mike's guitar--kinda muddy like you mentioned. Flip side is Jeff and Ed's instruments both sounded great...or maybe they should just stood out more with the issues I was hearing with the other guys.
  • CB254133CB254133 Posts: 153
    edited September 2022
    Was it just me, but I am convinced I heard Mike's Sabbath War Pigs tag at the end of Alive.
    Post edited by CB254133 on
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Last show for me this run and was pleasantly surprised - appreciation goes out to Rich and his son for rewarding us with a solid setlist. A little concerned given everything I’ve read over the years but couldn’t have felt safer in and around the venue. GA was certainly small and packed tight but found a nice spot. Thank you Camden.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    edited September 2022
    Pre-concert sight seeing down on South Street in Philly I walked past this place and did a double take....have heard Ed talk a lot about JC Dobbs, but could this be it? 

Sure enough, sounds like the place has been re-opened under a new name - "The Legendary Dobbs"....

https://www.audacy.com/kywnewsradio/news/local/dobbs-on-south-opens-at-site-of-legendary-philly-music-venue

Post edited by rfherbst on
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    100 Pacer said:
    Last show for me this run and was pleasantly surprised - appreciation goes out to Rich and his son for rewarding us with a solid setlist. A little concerned given everything I’ve read over the years but couldn’t have felt safer in and around the venue. GA was certainly small and packed tight but found a nice spot. Thank you Camden.

Yo super nice stone score.  He wants you to recycle that after you are done enjoying it. Jkng. 
  • MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,059
    Awesome show. Great way to end out my trifecta of PJ shows this tour.  The event staff was fantastic. From organizing the multiple line moves, great conversations while waiting, taking photos for us (with multiple photobombs and selfies), to providing cold water to the pit during the show. Only felt unsafe once while walking back to my rides car. But that was on him. He chose to park about a block outside of where he should have! 

Loved this set.  So many gems.  Wash, ocean, hard to imagine, SOLAT, Breath, Deep… I agree with the poorly placed retrograde comments above, but it didn’t make me think any less of this show.  Forgot how much I like Mind your Manners. That song kicks ass. 

I met up with friends who I have been seeing shows with since 2003. Then met some of you on here for the first time.  @lmckenney24 @1@100pacer @g@GlowGirl @r@RatherStarved Was great meeting you all and spending some time in line together. 

Few photos from the night taken from the Pit…

can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,059

can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,692

Great meeting you as well. Hope to hang out again. Awesome photos. I have some good ones as well. I see the side of my blonde head - hair blowing in the fan breeze in this last one :) .
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    on2legs said:
    Nice to hear Ed give a shout out to the fabulous “Philadelphia’s” Dr J, but let’s not forget he was a product of Long Island, played his most exciting ball at Nassau Coliseum, before being stolen by the Sixers!
    Sadly.. he could have been a Knick 🥲

When the ABA merged with the NBA, the Nets had to pay the Knicks $5 million because they were playing in the Knicks “territory”.  The Nets offered Dr. J to the Knicks in exchange for forgiving a portion of that fee but the Knicks declined.  So the Nets sold him to the Sixers instead to pay off their debts.  😭

Wow, I forgot about this, thanks!
  • PH40764 said:
    Cabbie said:
    MS142392 said:
    Solat13 said:
    I was on the rail by the steps by Mike where he and Ed would come over a lot. The venue security guard told me and again these are his words, that the band wanted to go on around 8:45 but there was some wiring/electrical problem on Mike's side of the stage and that is what caused the delay
    This is very intriguing to me, because I was on Mike’s side of the stage and something was very wrong with the sound from his guitar. Much more feedback than usual (this was my tenth show) and a constant high pitch or squealing sound. Did anybody else notice this? Set list was fantastic but something was off with the sound.
    I was towards the back of section 204 (mike's side) and also found the audio quality to be poor, unfortunately. Very little clarity in the mid range led to Mike and Stone's guitar parts being very hard to discern from one another and caused the overall mix to sound quite muddy. Drums also sounded distorted, almost electronic. Definitely could have been a problem stemming from the PA on that side. I'm glad to hear that so many had such an awesome experience, but for me, the audio quality where I was standing kept me from becoming fully immersed. Regardless, awesome setlist and hugely positive experience and I'm so glad I could attend!

Yeah, agree on the sound quality. I was on the lawn and something was off. For the first 1/3 of the set, Stone's guitar was really low in the mix. And something was off with the tone of his and Mike's guitar--kinda muddy like you mentioned. Flip side is Jeff and Ed's instruments both sounded great...or maybe they should just stood out more with the issues I was hearing with the other guys.
    Same here.  Don't know what happened.  I was on the lawn area, and was very disappointed about the audio quality.  Sometimes it's better, such as for acoustic songs.  However, a lot of times it's just bothering.  I saw them singing but no sound.  I saw Matt playing but no sound.  All and all I just felt sorry that they play so hard but I can't enjoy their performance, as I always did.  It's sad that I decided to leave early but not regretted not finishing the show.  I truly hope next time will be better.    
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    edited September 2022
    Amazing set - for show #17, it was so awesome that I got to see songs I still hadn't heard live, esp Wash and Oceans (I should win a prize for predicting Wash as the opener!). Surprisingly not heavy on Gigaton (would have liked to see DoC again, but did at Sea.Hear last yr anyways).

Crowd felt subdued on the lawn, but it was a beautiful night, beautiful set, and Ed's spirits were so high. 

It was beautiful until my phone UI crapped out and couldn't even reset it - then had to meander around to find my car after the show and drive back from Camden to Worcester, MA with no directions haha. Crummy adventure there, but so glad I got into the venue *before* that happened - i would have been SOL.
    Post edited by 1STmammal2wearPants on
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    steven87 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Anyone else get thrown off by EVs count in to Oceans? Thought we were getting small town hahah
    Totally threw me off. I started singing the first line of small town and then realized my mistake. I was so happy to hear oceans though. Hadn’t heard it in a very long time. 
    Haha ^^^^^ Forgot about that until you reminded me that i thought "Small Town"
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Hoagie BreathHoagie Breath Philly Yo Posts: 105
    Double Nickels.

Thats what my friend said when I told him this was my 55th show. Never seen the E-Center ( or whatever it's called these days ) that packed. Crowd was absolutely amazing, par for the course for any Philly show and the band definitely feeds of that energy. Been to every Philly/Camden show since '92. Never once missed the opening song and that record was in serious jeopardy Wednesday night. So I for one was happy that band was a little late taking the stage. Made it to our seats just as the lights where going down and the walk in music began.

Phew.

Went to the show with my 27 year old daughter, her first, and after all the years of my telling her about how great this band is live and why I go to so many shows, she was able to see why for herself. 

The setlist was fucking epic. Easily makes my top 10 personal list of shows I've attended, maybe even top 5, and I've seen some legendary ones. I feel so fortunate ( and spoiled lol ) to still be able to see my favorite band still making music and playing live shows for over 30 years now, and for whatever reason, seems to have an ongoing 30 plus year love affair with my city. 

Thank you Pearl Jam. Please come back soon, six years was too long. 
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '96 Columbia 09.24, NYC 09.29, Hartford 10.02
    '98 DC 06.14, Camden 08.28, Camden 08.29, E. Rutherford 09.08, NYC 09.10, NYC 09.11, Hartford 09.13, Columbia 09.18
    '00 Camden 09.01, Camden 09.02, Columbia 09.04
    '03 Philly 04.23, Camden 07.05, Camden 07.06, NYC 07.09, Hershey 07.12, Holmdel 07.14
    '04 Reading 10.01, DC 10.11
    '05 AC 09.30, AC 10.01, Philly 10.03, Chicago 10.05
    '06 NYC 05.05, Camden 05.27, Camden 05.28, DC 05.30, E. Rutherford 06.03
    '08 Camden 06.19, Camden 06.20, DC 06.22, NYC 06.24, NYC 06.25
    '09 Philly 10.27, Philly 10.28, Philly 10.30, Philly 10.31
    '10 Hartford 05.15, Newark 05.18, NYC 05.20, NYC 05.21
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '13 Philly 10.21, Philly 10.22
    '16 Philly 04.28, Philly 04.29
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

• Incredible show! I enjoyed it even more than MSG (which was phenomenal). Being in GA certainly helped. State Of Love and Trust was what I was hoping to hear and they played it! Eddie even waved to my son a few times. An amazing night. The only "negative" was that Mike threw picks everywhere I wasn't. If anyone has an extra McCready pick from that night, I'll gladly buy it off you. I'm still on a high from the show. Pearl Jam NEVER disappoint! 
  • Double Nickels.

Thats what my friend said when I told him this was my 55th show. Never seen the E-Center ( or whatever it's called these days ) that packed. Crowd was absolutely amazing, par for the course for any Philly show and the band definitely feeds of that energy. Been to every Philly/Camden show since '92. Never once missed the opening song and that record was in serious jeopardy Wednesday night. So I for one was happy that band was a little late taking the stage. Made it to our seats just as the lights where going down and the walk in music began.

Phew.

Went to the show with my 27 year old daughter, her first, and after all the years of my telling her about how great this band is live and why I go to so many shows, she was able to see why for herself. 

The setlist was fucking epic. Easily makes my top 10 personal list of shows I've attended, maybe even top 5, and I've seen some legendary ones. I feel so fortunate ( and spoiled lol ) to still be able to see my favorite band still making music and playing live shows for over 30 years now, and for whatever reason, seems to have an ongoing 30 plus year love affair with my city. 

Coincidentally they were selling tall boy cans from local Double Nickel Brewery at the beer stands there.

Glad you had a great show.  Have hit every Camden show as well and this definitely near the top of that list.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    kosteva2 said:
    Double Nickels.

Phew.

Coincidentally they were selling tall boy cans from local Double Nickel Brewery at the beer stands there.

Glad you had a great show.  Have hit every Camden show as well and this definitely near the top of that list.
    Agree with you.  I ve been to every Camden show and this one to me was the best since 98.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Hi @kosteva2, @Hoagie Breath & @mcgruff10, question for all of you: Since you've all hit all the Philly/Camden shows, how would you each rank them?  I have not hit them all, but one of them is my personal favorite PJ show out of my almost 60, so I'm curious where it lines up with you OG Philly/Camden folks =)

How do you rank them?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    @JH6056
    i ve seen every Philly/Camden show since 98 with the exception of the ten show in 2016.  I think my top five are:
    spectrum night 3, 2009
    spectrum night 4, 2009
    spectrum 2003
    camden 98 shows 1 and 2
    Camden 2022 show.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......