MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    igotid88 said:
    Poncier said:
    Baseball has an issue marketing its stars.
    How many folks know Mike Trout if they see him? What's the last Mike Trout commercial you saw on TV.
    By contrast how many folks know Tom Brady or Lebron James when they see them?

Great point.  For a commercial of ball players I have seen Poppi, Altuve, Tatis and Bellinger.

Locally I have seen Keith Hernandez and Severino.

Baseball players don't do a lot of commercials I guess?  Subway has every sport BUT baseball it seems in their commercials.
    Trout did a Subway commercial 
    How the hell did I miss that one?
    It's been a few years since he did that commercial.  I want to say it was around 2014 or 2015.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    igotid88 said:
    Poncier said:
    How many folks know Mike Trout if they see him? What's the last Mike Trout commercial you saw on TV.

Great point.  For a commercial of ball players I have seen Poppi, Altuve, Tatis and Bellinger.

Locally I have seen Keith Hernandez and Severino.

Baseball players don't do a lot of commercials I guess?  Subway has every sport BUT baseball it seems in their commercials.
    Trout did a Subway commercial 
    How the hell did I miss that one?
    It's been a few years since he did that commercial.  I want to say it was around 2014 or 2015.
    Just watched.  That was around 15 or so.  I recognize his look from his cards, lol.

Never saw this one.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Poncier said:

sloppi is like a bad penny.

fuck cody bellinger. 😡
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    speaking of the halos….I just watched last night’s botched rundown.

yeah, trout and ohtani might want to find new teams.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Voting on rule changes today.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Pitch clock and banning defensive shift approved
    I miss igotid88
    edited September 2022
    Pujols back on the juice for his final run? Wanted ARod to get to 700. Shouldn't have retired 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221

A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Trout is back to killing the damn ball again.  If he had those 150 or so atbats back he would be 50+ HR's.
    Trout is back to killing the damn ball again.  If he had those 150 or so atbats back he would be 50+ HR's.
    who does he play for, again?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Trout is back to killing the damn ball again.  If he had those 150 or so atbats back he would be 50+ HR's.
    who does he play for, again?
    How are your Giants doing?

C'mon man.  Low hanging fruit.
    Giants suck…..but they don’t have two superstars and another guy making huge money.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    If the Giants and Padres were NBA teams they would be the top 2 teams
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    what the hell are you talking about?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited September 2022
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    I meant the Angels and Padres. Trout and Ohtani for the Angels and Tatis, Machado, and Soto for the Padres. Meaning a great player on a baseball won't make as much of an impact as a great player on a basketball team 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    I meant the Angels and Padres. Trout and Ohtani for the Angels and Tatis, Machado, and Soto for the Padres. Meaning a great player on a baseball won't make as much of an impact as a great player on a basketball team 
    Soto has been terrible since the trade. Him, Stanton and Tim Anderson have been a bust for my fantasy team.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Aaron Judge seems to be the anomaly, he's carried that Yankees team.
    edited September 2022
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Aaron Judge seems to be the anomaly, he's carried that Yankees team.
    We've had good pitching as well. But if Judge wasn't on the team we wouldn't be in first place. Still would have a winning record though
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    it didn’t work out for the brooklyn nets. fuck “super teams.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Good. But only because Kyrie didn't want to play and is a head case
    I miss igotid88
  • Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    The Padres have one hell of a team too.  I'm surprised they can' t get it going but w Tatis out I guess you need the whole team to gel?
  • So in the begining of the year the Halos were doing GREAT.  First place, Trout was on fire, Ohtani was doing good then Trout went for that 0-26 slump, the team slumped and the 12 game losing skid ensued.  That's my Angels!

I just wonder if they have everyone healthy and Trout stays hot like that, what can they do?  Hope they figure it out so Ohtani stays and they play better.  I'm tired of saying "next year".
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    If the Guardians hang on in the Central, you have to give Francona the AL Manager of the year, right? (and yes, I realize their division is flawed).  This team wasn't supposed to be competitive this season at all and keep winning games with smoke and mirrors.  
  • MayDay10 said:
    If the Guardians hang on in the Central, you have to give Francona the AL Manager of the year, right? (and yes, I realize their division is flawed).  This team wasn't supposed to be competitive this season at all and keep winning games with smoke and mirrors.  
    Yeah, they played way better than expected.  I like that McKinzie kid and Naylor.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    MayDay10 said:
    I'd say so. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Just pulled the trigger on a 1954 Ed Mathews card.  Decided as far as sports memorabilia goes, I should hone in on Vintage cards, mainly hall of famers preferably graded (I do have other vintage cards, but never went specifically for higher end ones).  I have been shopping for this particular card for a little while, for various reasons, I wanted

Found a PSA 4 for a pretty good bargain, based on the pricing I have seen all over ebay for all grades and the PSA price guide.  The card looks pretty decent and I cant wait to display it.  Kind of an iconic card

• MayDay10 said:
    Just pulled the trigger on a 1954 Ed Mathews card.  Decided as far as sports memorabilia goes, I should hone in on Vintage cards, mainly hall of famers preferably graded (I do have other vintage cards, but never went specifically for higher end ones).  I have been shopping for this particular card for a little while, for various reasons, I wanted

Found a PSA 4 for a pretty good bargain, based on the pricing I have seen all over ebay for all grades and the PSA price guide.  The card looks pretty decent and I cant wait to display it.  Kind of an iconic card

You're going to notice a dip in lower graded vintage.  8's and higher are commanding a premium for vintage.  Stock up and don't pay too much.  Should have got this for around 50-60?
  • Aaron Judge is now the leader in HR, RBI and AVG amongst other things.

That ladies and gentlemen is called the triple crown contention and should unanimously be the AL MVP.
    MayDay10 said:

You're going to notice a dip in lower graded vintage.  8's and higher are commanding a premium for vintage.  Stock up and don't pay too much.  Should have got this for around 50-60?
    Pretty much.  About $70 with tax and shipping.  
    Fun fact about Eddie Mathews: he's the only player in Braves history to play in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta.

Damn, I feel like Sheldon Cooper with the "fun fact" lol.