Options

Pearl Jam Live Show Compared to Other Bands

Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
A Pearl Jam show was once hard to beat. The rarities and energy made their show one of the best IMO.

I've seen them twice this year, and while great many other bands I've seen put on a better show.

Shows I've seen this year from best to worst:

Tool
RATM
Jack White
DMB
Ty Segall
Roger Waters
Pearl Jam
DBT
Wet Leg
Primus 
Hold Steady

Where does PJ rank for you? 

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,005
    Pearl Jam > everyone else still for me.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,486
    Roger Waters?  That does not count as a concert, it is a stage show with backing tracks and props. And priced like Hamilton :)

I love all live music and try not to overanalyze or compare bands.  Pearl Jam live will always be my favorite, even if I am sick of the hearing the same 6-9 songs over and over again.  But I feel what you are saying, I am not going out of my way to get to a show this time around. 20 years ago that would have been blasphemy. I am old.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    My 3 favorite live bands are PJ, NIN & Wilco.

They are very different live acts, so I could never rank them.
  • Options
    I agree there are a lot of special effects and backing tracks used for RW but still can say I enjoyed it more than PJ. PJ was a good show but definitely lacks the unknown it used to have which gave them an elite status when it comes to live shows.
  • Options
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are the best act I’ve seen post-covid, first time seeing them though so that could be part of it.  PJ at Hyde Park was still great though, as were Pixies.  The Smile on the other hand, meh.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,907
    Can’t see any band topping the Rage shows I saw this year. 
  • Options
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are the best act I’ve seen post-covid, first time seeing them though so that could be part of it.  PJ at Hyde Park was still great though, as were Pixies.  The Smile on the other hand, meh.
    I saw Nick Cave back in Dallas a few years ago.  Was great stuff.  Not sure I would go to see a lot of shows though like I would for PJ (at least with him touring behind his last three records which are great but slow, slow, slow).

I agree that Pearl Jam 2022 is not the same as Pearl Jam 2014.  Look at the set for Leeds 2014.  Bummer that that show is not likely anymore, but I still think they change it up a decent amount that you'll enjoy 2-3 shows on a tour.  I really enjoyed Phoenix and Budapest this year.  I did check out though after Porch was played at Budapest as you knew what the next 4 songs were going to be essentially.  

I gave up my PJ MSG ticket because of workload, but I probably would have tried a little harder if the sets were longer and there would be more variety.  I still think MSG though is going to exceed all expectations.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Amazing show!  I agree although had the perfect buzz for Tool. One of the best shows I've ever seen.  Although the same can pretty be said for RATM.  Just incredible 
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 143
    It's all apples and oranges. Pearl Jam hands down favorite stadium band for sure. But I will say, my favorite show of all time is Radiohead in 2001 in Oxford England for their homecoming show in front of 40,000 folks on the Amnesiac tour. Beck opened up acoustic. Supergrass rocked the hell out of the crowd. Got introduced to a unknown band at the time called Sigur Ros. PJ will always be my favorite band and have 3 performances in my top 10 (including 2005 at the Gorge). Other great live acts in my top ten include Them Crooked Vultures at ACL (can't beat Dave behind the kit), seeing Foo Fighters opening up and destroying the headlining act RHCP in 2000 at Providence, Black Keys when they were still playing small venues like the Showbox, Wilco during the A Ghost is Born Tour, NIN on any tour, and QOTSA. Also Brandi Carlisle, MMJ, Lukas Nelson all know how to put on great shows. One band that's boring as hell? Weezer. DMB=overrated. Great musicians, but I've never been impressed.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    Seeing Primus and The Hold Steady firmly at the bottom of your list - below Dave Matthews - physically hurt me.

Tool is a great live band, but not remotely similar to Pearl Jam in terms of stage presence and what they bring to each individual performance.

It’s nice to see them every few years, but they largely play the same stuff in the same order for long stretches of touring. Going through the motions, but doing it well.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    MMJ and Ween are currently my favorite live bands. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,507
    Red Lukin said:
    I agree there are a lot of special effects and backing tracks used for RW but still can say I enjoyed it more than PJ. PJ was a good show but definitely lacks the unknown it used to have which gave them an elite status when it comes to live shows.
    Not going to find fault with your personal preference other than to say… they opened with Daughter last night.  Raise your hand if you had that one.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    AlaG said:
    Seeing Primus and The Hold Steady firmly at the bottom of your list - below Dave Matthews - physically hurt me.

Tool is a great live band, but not remotely similar to Pearl Jam in terms of stage presence and what they bring to each individual performance.

It’s nice to see them every few years, but they largely play the same stuff in the same order for long stretches of touring. Going through the motions, but doing it well.
    2 of my Primus shows were probably top 15 of all the shows I've seen. Just didn't enjoy this one as much. Rush stuff was cool but would prefer Primus.  Also my seats weren't the best. Best is always relative. How u feel.  Energy from you or the band.  Sober vs not. So many variables. 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Red Lukin said:
    Not going to find fault with your personal preference other than to say… they opened with Daughter last night.  Raise your hand if you had that one.  
    No issue with daughter opening at all. Just hope they don't repeat that Sat.  I'll shoot myself in the head!
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    Red Lukin said:
    on2legs said:
    Red Lukin said:
    No issue with daughter opening at all. Just hope they don't repeat that Sat.  I'll shoot myself in the head!
    2 in a row? Fuck no.

But…3 or 4 straight shows of Daughter openers would be worth it just for the meltdowns we’d see on here lol.
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 894
    Goose
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,201
    Red Lukin said:
    AlaG said:

2 of my Primus shows were probably top 15 of all the shows I've seen. Just didn't enjoy this one as much. Rush stuff was cool but would prefer Primus.  Also my seats weren't the best. Best is always relative. How u feel.  Energy from you or the band.  Sober vs not. So many variables. 

Saw Primus in the spring and place was on fire. The most moshing and surfing I’ve seen since the 90s. Scary considering how old some of us fans are.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,756
    Get_Right said:
    Roger Waters?  That does not count as a concert, it is a stage show with backing tracks and props. And priced like Hamilton :)

I love all live music and try not to overanalyze or compare bands.  Pearl Jam live will always be my favorite, even if I am sick of the hearing the same 6-9 songs over and over again.  But I feel what you are saying, I am not going out of my way to get to a show this time around. 20 years ago that would have been blasphemy. I am old.
    Waters cheaper than PJ in Phoenix this year 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    Pearl Jam
    Lucero
    Beach slang 
    The Love Language 
    Tool 
    And a ton of other bands are just a step below 
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    AlaG said:

Feel the same way about Tool. Great show but same show all tour. I guess maybe because of the stage show is so complex, videos etc 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Red Lukin said:
    A Pearl Jam show was once hard to beat. The rarities and energy made their show one of the best IMO.

I've seen them twice this year, and while great many other bands I've seen put on a better show.

Shows I've seen this year from best to worst:

Tool
    RATM
    Jack White
    DMB
    Ty Segall
    Roger Waters
    Pearl Jam
    DBT
    Wet Leg
    Primus 
    Hold Steady

Where does PJ rank for you? 
    You have to first exclude bands that play the same setlist basically every night. I also saw tool, rage, primus.  Tool and rage basically play the same setlist in the same order every night. So does Waters, whose show is scripted from the get go. 

That doesn’t mean those shows weren’t better than the pj shows you saw. The rage show at msg was on fire. But, it was 90 minutes and again, same setlist with the same 2 songs switched out. 

Point is, you cant see more than one of those shows really. 

Primus was phenomenal with the Rush full album cover and then regular primus songs.  

Eddie and earthlings was great at the beacon. 

Amsterdam 2 was special for me, my 60th show, plus the fact that i didnt think it was going to happen. The setlist was really good. Another 4 songs and it woulda been an all timer with all the circumstances surrounding the show. 

• Options
    Why would you ”have to” exlude those bands?

Arbitrary rules runs wild in here. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,507
    PJ was a good show but definitely lacks the unknown it used to have which gave them an elite status when it comes to live shows. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Why would you ”have to” exlude those bands?

Arbitrary rules runs wild in here. 
    Its not arbitrary rules. Those are the things people are complaining about with pj in other threads. All im saying is you cant have it both ways.
  • Options
     Ive seen my share of live shows, but I've never been into a band as much as pearl jam. I'm happy they're still touring, together, and making music. The majority of my other favorite bands from the same era have had to deal with deaths. For me I don't care if it's a shorter list. First choice will always be pj.
  • Options
    I hope PJ continues to slip down folks live band lists. Make it easier to get tickets in the lotteries. 
  • Options
    PJ live is still cathartic for me.  The shortened set lists lately just make me appreciate how good they are…they owe us absolutely nothing and are entitled to go about things how they choose.  With that being said and to answer the original post, I’ll take the Gaslight Anthem reunion shows as my comparison…pure fire, energy and no apologies.

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,649
    Pearl Jam and Twenty One Pilots are 1A and 1B for me

Everyone else falls into place behind them
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,649
    PJ live is still cathartic for me.  The shortened set lists lately just make me appreciate how good they are…they owe us absolutely nothing and are entitled to go about things how they choose.  With that being said and to answer the original post, I’ll take the Gaslight Anthem reunion shows as my comparison…pure fire, energy and no apologies.

This too.  The 2018 DC 9:30 club shows remain some of the best concert memories of my life
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore