Options

the chili peppers on howard stern about nirvana/pearl jam tour

Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 100
edited April 2022 in The Porch
apparently, they adored nirvana and pj was just a "good band". interesting considering pj relentlessly praises the peppers.

https://youtu.be/snTHwt761KM
Post edited by Adam Hewett on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,902
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited April 2022
    I think everyone adores Nirvana and  maybe even more now because we are decades removed from it. They will always be the biggest band of their era simply because they are frozen in time. Bands with longevity have ups and downs with Nirvana is was all up and then nothing 

they didn’t even have time to make a mediocre album so I don’t know how you could think of them any different 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    apparently, they adored nirvana and pj was just a "good band". interesting considering pj relentlessly praises the peppers.

I went to the RHCP/SP/PJ tour in Pittsburgh. Went for RHCP, heard of SP, nobody had ever heard of PJ before. We all walked out of that venue saying, "Who the fuck was that opening band?! They were amazing and stole the show." 

Maybe RHCP was tired of being upstaged!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I wouldn't read into them saying PJ was a "good band". It's complimentary and clearly if Chad thought they were less than, he wouldn't have joined up with Ed for Earthlings and a tour. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,829

I went to the RHCP/SP/PJ tour in Pittsburgh. Went for RHCP, heard of SP, nobody had ever heard of PJ before. We all walked out of that venue saying, "Who the fuck was that opening band?! They were amazing and stole the show." 

my friend said PJ was the best too. I saw that tour and missed PJ. didn't know or care about them then.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Loujoe said:

my friend said PJ was the best too. I saw that tour and missed PJ. didn't know or care about them then.
    I missed them at Lolla 92' - went to see Ice Cube and the other bands, haha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I saw them there! A big blur due to... I remeber handing off my corduroy jacket to a stranger and jumping in the pit for RITFW.  Ev wrote that song about my jacket...i know it!  I still go fishing by the now defunct field they played at. Saw Rage, alice, rhcp, Janes, ministry. Two lolas worth of bands. Said before, but want to go digging for guitar picks there. It's all fenced off.
  • Options
    BR2428BR2428 Posts: 120
    Loujoe said:

We deliberately arrived late to miss the openers. Skipping PJ and SP on that tour is probably my biggest concert regret. Luckily I came to my senses when PJ came back on a headline show a few months later. 
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    Just because PJ praises them doesn’t necessarily mean they have to give it back. They are being honest. At least they didn’t call them boring 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    ^^Glad I'm not the only one living with regret. Saw SP. You didn't miss much!
  • Options
    To make a short story long..... the show was sold out. I went into ny early with a RHCP head to scalp tix. Found a dude on the street got 4.cop thought we were buying drugs. Checked us out and let us go.
    Drive back to NJ. Get my stuff together, go pick up my friend, head in lateish. It was all about RHCP then. Blood sugar was so damn good to me. Live they kinda were forgetable.  Maybe b/c it was so long ago. Don't know?
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited April 2022

Saw that tour twice at Roseland in NYC. Amazing night of music.  Ten, Gish and Blood Sugar. Had seen PJ twice by these shows and no way I was missing them 

https://youtu.be/yiaLvFSEBSU
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    ^I wuz there night 2. We should have hung out! At least if we talked beforehand I would have seen pj. Oh well.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    ^I wuz there night 2. We should have hung out! At least if we talked beforehand I would have seen pj. Oh well.
    Hahahaha! Dammit!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    ^Did you see shows at the Ritz too? Irving plaza? Cbgb?

What a great time for music and shows. Went to many at Roseland. Off the top of my head; Danzig, Jesus jones? Rage, house of pain, offspring, primus a lot!, sting, sausage, Rollins band shoeless, white zombie, madball, motorhead, GWAR, misfits. Anthrax, suicidal, galactic, blind melon, nin, Marilyn manson.
    Glad I did all that.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Loujoe said:
    ^Did you see shows at the Ritz too? 

What a great time for music and shows. Went to many at Roseland. Off the top of my head; Danzig, Jesus jones? Rage, house of pain, offspring, primus a lot!, sting, sausage, Rollins band shoeless, white zombie, madball, motorhead, GWAR, misfits. Anthrax, suicidal, galactic.
    Glad I did all that.
    Yes I was at the ritz show :). Guy on the far right. And yes I sinned. Wearing the shirt of the band I was seeing 

Pearl Jam I was at the Marquee, Wetlands and Cbs. 

Peppers I saw out in Long Island at Sundance, roseland and Ritz. 

And yeah was at roseland a lot. Great room it was. And yes grew up in all those venues seeing all type of stuff.  

Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Loujoe said:
    I saw them there! A big blur due to... I remeber handing off my corduroy jacket to a stranger and jumping in the pit for RITFW.  Ev wrote that song about my jacket...i know it!  I still go fishing by the now defunct field they played at. Saw Rage, alice, rhcp, Janes, ministry. Two lolas worth of bands. Said before, but want to go digging for guitar picks there. It's all fenced off.
    Such a blur you forgot about one lola. If you saw PJ, AIC/RATM and Jane’s Addiction you had to be at the first 3. 
  • Options
    Yeah baby. I guess so. Man what a history of shows. I love my life.
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    Loujoe said:
    ^Did you see shows at the Ritz too? 

What a great time for music and shows. Went to many at Roseland. Off the top of my head; Danzig, Jesus jones? Rage, house of pain, offspring, primus a lot!, sting, sausage, Rollins band shoeless, white zombie, madball, motorhead, GWAR, misfits. Anthrax, suicidal, galactic.
    Glad I did all that.
    Yes I was at the ritz show :). Guy on the far right. And yes I sinned. Wearing the shirt of the band I was seeing 

Pearl Jam I was at the Marquee, Wetlands and Cbs. 

Peppers I saw out in Long Island at Sundance, roseland and Ritz. 

And yeah was at roseland a lot. Great room it was. And yes grew up in all those venues seeing all type of stuff.  

Super duper HOT. Thanks for sharing. Woah wow and awesome!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    How did you get to hang with the band?

Really, back then it was just a bunch of great shows. No stress, no.merch, nothing really too hard to get a ticket for. Rhcp we scalped before the show and got a real ticket from a stranger for like $50. Sorry but I'm mainly done with any new shows. I'll be crawling the clubs when I feel safe to go out again.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    How did you get to hang with the band?

Really, back then it was just a bunch of great shows. No stress, no.merch, nothing really too hard to get a ticket for. Rhcp we scalped before the show and got a real ticket from a stranger for like $50. Sorry but I'm mainly done with any new shows. I'll be crawling the clubs when I feel safe to go out again.
    Worked at a big college radio station in new haven so had a lot of industry contacts to do a lot of cool shit 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more