Of the Girl lyrics

BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
Interesting song was listening to the Boise 2000 boot the other day and it was a great way to opening a show before slamming into Go.

Listened a few times since and really got me thinking about the lyrics.

From memory they're Stone's lyrics.

What are people's thoughts and / or interpretations!?

Interested for people's ideas.
Melbourne #1 '98
Melbourne #2 '03
Melbourne #3 '03
Melbourne #1 '06
Melbourne #3 '06
Melbourne '09
Melbourne '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• k9s4Bernk9s4Bern Posts: 30
    Hey There - This song in particular calls a part of my soul, home...I absolutely love it! For me, it is almost as if it was written as a "stream of consciousness," as with the "Oh he deals 'em off, off the top, ties 'em off..." It starts with one thought and then lends itself to migrate in several other directions.

With that in mind - in terms of interpretation? Sometimes all we have is what is on the surface and that is what we can offer, even if we are not whole...physically or emotionally.

The line, "Oh, half his life, a hand me down, wasted away," indicates that something is truly missing...

BUT, he fills it up, with the love of a girl - that makes up for what is missing - at least at that time. This is how he "makes his getaway."

Contemplation of the life paths we choose - or do not choose - a thought or memory of who or what we love - present or past , what we have and who we do not.

ANYWAY - just some thoughts - I hope to hear this live some day :D It is the song that mellows out my sh!t

BrainofBGA wrote:
    Interesting song was listening to the Boise 2000 boot the other day and it was a great way to opening a show before slamming into Go.

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    Some interesting points there. I'm always keen to hear what people have to say.

I'm going to keep listening with your thoughts in mind.

Thanks again! For me lyrically a bit challenging. Not as obvious as a lot of lyrics from the band.
    k9s4Bern wrote:
    Hey There - This song in particular calls a part of my soul, home...I absolutely love it! For me, it is almost as if it was written as a "stream of consciousness," as with the "Oh he deals 'em off, off the top, ties 'em off..." It starts with one thought and then lends itself to migrate in several other directions.

With that in mind - in terms of interpretation? Sometimes all we have is what is on the surface and that is what we can offer, even if we are not whole...physically or emotionally.

The line, "Oh, half his life, a hand me down, wasted away," indicates that something is truly missing...

BUT, he fills it up, with the love of a girl - that makes up for what is missing - at least at that time. This is how he "makes his getaway."

Contemplation of the life paths we choose - or do not choose - a thought or memory of who or what we love - present or past , what we have and who we do not.

ANYWAY - just some thoughts - I hope to hear this live some day :D It is the song that mellows out my sh!t

BrainofBGA wrote:

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,764
    Oh how I love this song. I agree it has kind of a stream of consciousness feel to it. Not just lyrically but musically too. The guitars kind of do their own thing on the side while the drum beat and bass line are ceaseless, holding everything together. I have no idea if this is right but I always got the feeling the lyrics are describing that moment in a really long term relationship when you know it's over or at least not enough anymore. When u realize that any relationship can not be the only thing that fills you up and especially not this one.

Half his life, a hand me down wasted away but he fills it up with the love of a girl

He chose a path heavy the fall quarter to four....fills his night with the thought of a girl.(he makes mistakes and suffers the consequences but he tries to make it right with the relationship but its just not enough anymore) how he makes his get away. (He's running from the emptiness... Bc the love doesn't fill in the gaps anymore. It's time to make his get away)

I love how the bass line and drums give the sensation of running away.

I'm probably completely wrong but that's my dark, twisted interpretation. I love the pj lyrics that make you wonder, think, ponder and listen over and over. Nothing obvious about this one. Love binaural!!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380

To me the song predicts the first 15minutes of the movie "Up".. listen again, its there!