Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    good stuff....I didn't pay $100 for the bourbon. My guess is closer to $60 but that was over a year ago
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    DavidD said:
    Anyone try new riff bourbon or rye? 
    The bourbon is great, haven’t cracked open the rye yet. 
    Both run about $100 Canadian. I think the rye is a bit more $$$ then the bourbon. 
    Curious what you guys pay in the U.S

New Riff is my favorite craft distillery. In New York these bottles are about $45, the single barrels are about $55 and their rarer stuff is about $70. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    DavidD said:
    Both run about $100 Canadian. I think the rye is a bit more $$$ then the bourbon. 

New Riff is my favorite craft distillery. In New York these bottles are about $45, the single barrels are about $55 and their rarer stuff is about $70. 
    Wow. The bourbon is $100 and the rye is $104.95. What a mark up! 
    I need to cross the border and make a liquor run lol. 
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 342
    DavidD said:

I just picked up a BiB and a store pick single barrel. Im going to give them a try next weekend when some friends and family come up to the family lake house. I've heard good things about New Riff distillery.
  • Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on High West distillery. Was thinking about picking up a bottle or two from their lineup. I've heard they have a seasonal offering named something like " midwinters night dram" and people claim it's excellent.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Pulled out some of the good stuff last night to celebrate baby #3.  Cheers!

Congrats man!
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts on High West distillery. Was thinking about picking up a bottle or two from their lineup. I've heard they have a seasonal offering named something like " midwinters night dram" and people claim it's excellent.
    High West puts out some great products.  Their Rendezvous Rye has for years been an incredible bottle.  Back in the day it was mostly MGP, and I think it's now MGP plus their own rye.  I've heard the new stuff isn't as good, but I still have an old bottle.  Their bourbon is solid as is their double rye.  Midwinters is by far their best product.  I try to get one every year if I can.  Such a delicious pour and perfect when it's cold out!

• Options
    mca47 said:
    smile6680 said:
    High West puts out some great products.  Their Rendezvous Rye has for years been an incredible bottle.  Back in the day it was mostly MGP, and I think it's now MGP plus their own rye.  I've heard the new stuff isn't as good, but I still have an old bottle.  Their bourbon is solid as is their double rye.  Midwinters is by far their best product.  I try to get one every year if I can.  Such a delicious pour and perfect when it's cold out!

Thank you for the excellent reply. I'm going with their bourbon. Ryes are hit or miss with me. Definitely going to look out for the Midwinter offering. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    smile6680 said:
    I searched out the Midwinters Night Dram for a few years until I finally found a bottle at a fair price.

It is my favorite bottle in my rotation and will pick one up every year if I can.

You won't be disappointed with this bottle.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    smile6680 said:
    High west recently pulled back much of their better stuff to distillery only.
    Some of the specialty bottles are heavily allocated, hard to find, and therefore can be pricey. 
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    High west recently pulled back much of their better stuff to distillery only.
    Some of the specialty bottles are heavily allocated, hard to find, and therefore can be pricey. 
    Good point here!  They used to distribute their Bourye (bourbon rye blend) years ago and it was fairly accessible....at least here in AZ.  I believe now you can only purchase it at the distillery.  
    Midwinters has def become allocated.  You can buy it at the distillery, but your local shop is either going to have it jacked up in price or it will be allocated.  I got last years at Total Wine, only because a buddy caught wind that they had it.  Even then, it was never put on the shelf.  The girl and I went so we each got a bottle (aka...I have two bottles of it.  hahaha).  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Want to make a bourbon bro cry?

• Options

Was it just the one bottle?
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Was it just the one bottle?
    Yup
  • Options
    edited August 2022

buffalo trace is easy to come by up here in Maine. just picked one up tonight at the grocery store. left three on the shelf.

26.99$
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • Options

Daaamn!! It's a little hard to tell, did part of the neck break or was it a bad cork? Based on the amount that bled out I'm guessing glass..?
  • Options
    smile6680 said:

buffalo trace is easy to come by up here in Maine. just picked one up tonight at the grocery store. left three on the shelf.

26.99$
    Same here in Arizona.  Almost every liquor and grocery store has BT on the shelf...ranging from $24-29.
  • Options
    I am noticing that a lot of bourbon drinkers/collectors online go for Blantons and Weller.  Like really hard.  I don't get the markup hype for them.  Sure it's good but a bottle that was $45 is now $150 sometimes?  C'mon man...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I am noticing that a lot of bourbon drinkers/collectors online go for Blantons and Weller.  Like really hard.  I don't get the markup hype for them.  Sure it's good but a bottle that was $45 is now $150 sometimes?  C'mon man...
    A store in cape may sells blantons for $250. Just saw it in Montauk this week for $150. It’s so stupid 
  • Options
    A store in cape may sells blantons for $250. Just saw it in Montauk this week for $150. It’s so stupid 
    Was it at least the Gold?  Montauk during the summer?  You sir, are a brave man.  Too many damn people for me.

Back on topic though.  This was always under $50 but the taters? resellers? what have you turned this into a must have bottle now, it's just silly...

I see people brag about how many bottles they have.  You know why you have so many?  Because it's not rare you dillhole!

Give me a bottle of Angels Envy, good flavor and won't break the bank.
  • Options

It's pretty crazy out there.  Anything "Buffalo Trace" is jacked up on the secondary and in the mom and pops.  They know someone will buy that bottle of Blanton's for $250, even if it has to sit on the shelf for a couple days longer.
    The market is so fn dumb right now, but that said, there are a TON of other bottles in that $60 price range that are better than Blanton's (and that's before secondary prices kick in).  Same thing with Weller.  Saw a Special Reserve the other day on the shelf for $125.  A fn Special Reserve!!  A $25 bottle!
    Oh well, what are you gonna do?

• Options
    If you live within a decent range of the Buffalo Trace distillery you can score a bottle every three months at retail. They let you buy one bottle per person every three months. Each brand (Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Col Taylor, Sazerac, Weller) can be bought during that same three month rotation. Probably a lot of online selling comes from people doing that.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mca47 said:

It's pretty crazy out there.  Anything "Buffalo Trace" is jacked up on the secondary and in the mom and pops.  They know someone will buy that bottle of Blanton's for $250, even if it has to sit on the shelf for a couple days longer.
    The market is so fn dumb right now, but that said, there are a TON of other bottles in that $60 price range that are better than Blanton's (and that's before secondary prices kick in).  Same thing with Weller.  Saw a Special Reserve the other day on the shelf for $125.  A fn Special Reserve!!  A $25 bottle!
    Oh well, what are you gonna do?

I'm buying other brands and trying them out.  I "look" at the overpriced stuff behind the counter to see what robbery looks like and go to the regular stuff on the shelves.

So far store picks have been excellent and I will do those as much as I can.  The Angels Envy one I did was the most expensive one yet but so, so good.  $99.  I flew through that bottle.
  • Options
    I'm all for the mom and pop stores, that includes liquor stores.  I refuse to purchase anything in those stores if I see bottles jacked up.  I could go in for a bottle of gin or a 6 pack of beer, and if I see them trying to see a Blanton's for $250....I'm out.  I'll get that gin and/or beer from Total Wine.  F them!
    Yeah, I do realize they are trying to get by and probably not making much money in their little store, but I can't support that nonsense. 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    https://www.wine-searcher.com/

In case people don't know, the above site is the best way to quickly find the lowest prices in your area
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I was in Greenville, OH on Saturday and stopped by a state liquor store to get some beer. Saw Weller Special Reserve on the shelf and got two bottles (only one per customer so my wife bought one). $24 each.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I think I have a nice little surprise coming tomorrow.  A rep who gave me a bottle of Johnny blue for my birthday said i have something coming my way and that they tried to out do that one. Looking forward to seeing what it is
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was in Greenville, OH on Saturday and stopped by a state liquor store to get some beer. Saw Weller Special Reserve on the shelf and got two bottles (only one per customer so my wife bought one). $24 each.
    I think my family is from Greenville or maybe a town near it called New Madison. I'm sure I'll never go there, but it was odd to see it written here, since they talk about it like it barely exists. Or maybe that's New Madison.

I remember they used to bring back a special sandwich called a maderight when they'd come back from trips there. It was basically just hamburger meat and I think mustard, and it was delicious!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I used the search engine above and there is no $24 weller reserve, lol.

Great catch on that.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    dankind said:
    I think my family is from Greenville or maybe a town near it called New Madison. I'm sure I'll never go there, but it was odd to see it written here, since they talk about it like it barely exists. Or maybe that's New Madison.

I remember they used to bring back a special sandwich called a maderight when they'd come back from trips there. It was basically just hamburger meat and I think mustard, and it was delicious!
    Holy shit man...New Madison is just down the road. And we grabbed a bag of 20 Maid Rites on our way out of town!  It's a "loose meat" sandwich...I describe it as a sloppy joe without the sauce. But cooked in beer and spices....topped with pickle, onion, mustard and I always get cheese. Fucking delicious.

Small world. That joint is amazing. We sat in their drive thru line for 30 minutes.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on