Save You - about who?

halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
Does anybody know about who is that song? The lyric's are so simple but so pur e, genuine. I am crazy about this song recently
Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
halszka123@op.pl
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm pretty sure it's about Mike
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    ???
    halszka123@op.pl
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    i think its mike too...but i think its meant to be universal...like alot of eds songs.... to him its about mike maybe...to you............... who knows
    please explain me-littlestupigirl, why u think so? Do u know any story about it?
    halszka123@op.pl
    halszka123 wrote:
    please explain me-littlestupigirl, why u think so? Do u know any story about it?

who is littlesupigirl?

actually its probably not about mike....it could be about anyone

you're too important to us...we'd be lost without you

i always thought of we as the band but now i think about it more it could be saying

me and you make we...without you its just I... so it could be about anyone...its universal...and a great song for it
    macgyver06 wrote:
    who is littlesupigirl?
    I called myself. Sometimes i am a little tenderly for ME.

But thank for answer. Though i thought He sings about sb special. My intuition whispers
    halszka123@op.pl
  • I can't see this song being about Mike. I can't imagine him agreeing to play a song this harsh about him.

I think it's about that friend that everyone has (god knows i do) who's got his/her problems and though they might be worse than most people's porblems, they feel sorry for themselves all the time. You try to help, and they attack you. They don't want your help. They don't want their own help. They just wallow in their own misery and continue down a destructive path. Definitely could be a very similar situation about an intervention with a friend who has a drug addiction.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    I can't see this song being about Mike. I can't imagine him agreeing to play a song this harsh about him.

I think it's about that friend that everyone has (god knows i do) who's got his/her problems and though they might be worse than most people's porblems, they feel sorry for themselves all the time. You try to help, and they attack you. They don't want your help. They don't want their own help. They just wallow in their own misery and continue down a destructive path. Definitely could be a very similar situation about an intervention with a friend who has a drug addiction.

i agree
  • somebody once told me it was about Jack Irons . . . i never thought that but who knows . . .
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • I'm pretty sure that its at least partly about Mike. I heard Mike and Ed talking about it in a radio interview. They didn't say it in so many words, but that was the distinct impression that I got.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    It is about Mike.... Ed probably tried to make it seem like it was just a run of the mill everyone can relate song, but its basis smacks of Mikes drug/health problems in the past.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I think it's about Ed...from someone else's perspective...possibly Mike's...

At any rate, it's an awesome song and I love it!
    be philanthropic
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    I read an old interview recently where Ed specifically says that this song and one more which I can't remember now is inspired by Mike's struggle with health and drug issues, but could be applied to anyone with similar problems.

I for one, when I hear this song always think about if I faced the same problem, that I would like a good friend like that.

but first and foremost, a f****** great song !!

peace
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• I (and I thought most people) just assumed this song was about Chris Cornell. I suppose it could be about Mike, except Mike wasn't really struggling with addiction (that we know of) when this song was written.

If someone could actually produce an Ed interview saying it was about Mike, I'd buy it. But Cornell makes a lot more sense to me, given the time frame in which this song was written.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • I thought it was about Dee Dee Ramone "I don't wanna be without my best... friend" and "Casue there is but you,.. and something within you its taken control,.. lets beat it, get up lets go!". RA is dedicated to Dee Dee, among others, and he passed away just before they started recording it. I thought I read it somewhere that Ed said that's who the song was for but I could be wrong...and I can't remember where I read it...
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    I thought it was generally recognised that Save You and Habit are about McCready's struggle with addiction. Mike himself said that he had times where he felt he dragged the band down but they were always there for him.
    I thought it was about Dee Dee Ramone "I don't wanna be without my best... friend" and "Casue there is but you,.. and something within you its taken control,.. lets beat it, get up lets go!". RA is dedicated to Dee Dee, among others, and he passed away just before they started recording it. I thought I read it somewhere that Ed said that's who the song was for but I could be wrong...and I can't remember where I read it...

I think it's possible
    halszka123@op.pl
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Pretty sure it's about Mike. I remember seeing one show (possibly London or Berlin) where Ed was looking at Mike a lot throughout the song and when he was singing 'come on hit me instead' he was turned directly to Mike and it was a pretty intense atmosphere - brought tears to my eyes!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    It's about anyone who is attempting to listen to the riot act album. It's one of the few decent tunes on it, so Ed is trying to "save you" by not making it a total waste of your hour when you put the album on.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    this song fucking rocks seeing is believing live that is >>>>> ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I Think Its About Mike.....
  • I thought it was about Mike's pill addiction. which is why after he was talkin about his tatts in IIC i was hoping they would go into Save You.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • I have to vote for Mike.

I'm glad others love the song as much as me.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    This song is DEFINITELY about Mike, Ed has said as much before.

Want further evidence? Look in the Riot Act booklet and who's picture is shown right next to the Save You lyrics?...Yep, Mike McCready.
  • halszka123 wrote:
    Does anybody know about who is that song? The lyric's are so simple but so pur e, genuine. I am crazy about this song recently

This is an easy one: It's about my uncle (at least every time I hear it).
    -Jeremy
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I can't see this song being about Mike. I can't imagine him agreeing to play a song this harsh about him.

i dont see how its harsh...it talks about how much the habit he had (or whoever it is) fucked him up and how he made himself suffer, and they are trying to help him. its about having friends who actually give a fuck about you and arent shy about addressing you regarding your problems. i know id fucking rather that than watch a friend let an addiction/bad habit totally fuck them up.

ed and mike have both said its about mike, but its lyrically vague enough to apply to anyone who has a friend of that nature, and i think its a fantastic song.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    spencer wrote:
    This song is DEFINITELY about Mike, Ed has said as much before.

Want further evidence? Look in the Riot Act booklet and whose picture is shown right next to the Save You lyrics?...Yep, Mike McCready.

That's not evidence. His picture is next to all or none too. Maybe it's not about any 'one' person in particular. No one has really got any concrete evidence it's about Mike. All i know is i saw it live in 2003 and again in 2006 and it freaking rocked my socks off. Especially 2006. Wow.

It's a wicked cool song. Mccready wrote the guitar riff to it.
  • Based on Ed’s comments from London night one, I don’t think this was about Mike. 
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 243
    Based on Ed’s comments from London night one, I don’t think this was about Mike. 
    Man, you dug out a post that is 15 years old.  Definitely not about Mike.   “We don’t play that song very much and I realized the person we wrote it about we didn’t save.”
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • edited July 2022
    I am going to agree with others that it’s about Cornell.  

I find it interesting reading the lyrics to Save you and Cochise.  They were both released about the same time.  

Could be nothing but I wonder if they are related to one another.

Save You

Gonna save you fucker, .not gonna lose you
    Feeling cocky and strong, can't let you go,
    Too important to me
    Too important to us, we'd be lost without you
    Baby, let yourself fall, I'm right below you now
    And fuck me if I say something you don't want to hear
    And fuck if you only hear what you want to hear
    Fuck me if I care, but I'm not leaving here
    You helped me when I was down, I'll help when you're down
    Why are you hitting yourself, c'mon hit me instead
    Let's pick up your will, it's grown fat and lazy