The Sopranos

2»

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    It is great. I have been watching the whole series this fall, somewhat out of order. I still have season 2 and Season 6 to finish.

I still don't understand how selfish murders makes you proud to be Italian, but to each his own.

You're missing his point, and tangentially, the point of the show.

It's not about the mob or 'selfish murders', it's focus is on the family's that these people have, and their real life day to day activities. They just happen to be in the mob. They are full blooded Italians, and since it's main element is family interaction, it is a slice of Italian Americana life. The poster who is proud to be Italian because of this show is OBVIOUSLY not referring to the mob side of it, but rather the Italian family elements, which this show executes expertly.

This reminds me of when someone tries to compare something to Nazi Germany or a leader to Hitler and some nudnick shoots you down and brings up the Holocaust and how you can't compare. You do realize there was more to Nazi Germany than the Holocaust. There was more to the Sopranos than mob hits.

I forgot you are the expert on all things Sopranos. The characters on the show outside of their mob activities are still nothing to be proud of. You must be referring to the great family interaction of a mother who tries to have her son killed and the son then almost smothering his mother with a pillow. Or maybe the many times Christopher hit Adriana. Or Tony's cheating. Right, I forgot how much there is to look up to there.

Great show with compelling characters, yes. Model of family life? Not so much. Thanks for explaining the point of the show to all us nudnicks.

This is the rational thought......and they don't 'just happen to be in the mob.' Otherwise, there would be no show..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    You're missing his point, and tangentially, the point of the show.

It's not about the mob or 'selfish murders', it's focus is on the family's that these people have, and their real life day to day activities. They just happen to be in the mob. They are full blooded Italians, and since it's main element is family interaction, it is a slice of Italian Americana life. The poster who is proud to be Italian because of this show is OBVIOUSLY not referring to the mob side of it, but rather the Italian family elements, which this show executes expertly.

This reminds me of when someone tries to compare something to Nazi Germany or a leader to Hitler and some nudnick shoots you down and brings up the Holocaust and how you can't compare. You do realize there was more to Nazi Germany than the Holocaust. There was more to the Sopranos than mob hits.[/quote]

I forgot you are the expert on all things Sopranos. The characters on the show outside of their mob activities are still nothing to be proud of. You must be referring to the great family interaction of a mother who tries to have her son killed and the son then almost smothering his mother with a pillow. Or maybe the many times Christopher hit Adriana. Or Tony's cheating. Right, I forgot how much there is to look up to there.

Great show with compelling characters, yes. Model of family life? Not so much. Thanks for explaining the point of the show to all us nudnicks.[/quote]

This is the rational thought......and they don't 'just happen to be in the mob.' Otherwise, there would be no show..[/quote]

Exactly Champ!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... ion-dramas

The Guardian's top 50 television dramas of all time

1. Sopranos
    2. Brideshead Revisited
    3. Our Friends in the North
    4. Mad Men
    5. A Very Peculiar Practice
    6. Talking Heads
    7. The Singing Detective
    8. Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
    9. State of Play
    10. Boys From the Blackstuff
    11. The West Wing
    12. Twin Peaks
    13. Queer as Folk
    14. The Wire
    15. Six Feet Under
    16. How Do You Want Me?
    17. Smiley's People
    18. House of Cards
    19. Prime Suspect
    20. Bodies......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    like an old friend home for the holidays....hbo has been showing the sopranos from the beginning every night at 8 on one of their channels.

god i miss this this show.

watched the college episode the other night. so good. the one where tony kills the rat while looking at colleges with meadow.

hope they run the whole series...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Solider? Brendan Fillone. Associate?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I've actually gone back and started watching the entire series from the beginning. Almost done with season 2 right now....this show was so good. I know some of the later episodes were a little bit questionable, but the first 2 seasons of this show are some of the best TV out there.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I've actually gone back and started watching the entire series from the beginning. Almost done with season 2 right now....this show was so good. I know some of the later episodes were a little bit questionable, but the first 2 seasons of this show are some of the best TV out there.

Fucking hilarious.

Yeah, I want to do that. The woman hasn't see it all the way through, so we are planning on doing that, just watching too much right now. Maybe this winter. Vito and the seperation were annoying.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm doing that too. Just starting season 2. When I watched the last episodes as they aired I thought the quality went down a bit, but watching them again they really stand up.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I want to do that. The woman hasn't see it all the way through, so we are planning on doing that, just watching too much right now. Maybe this winter. Vito and the seperation were annoying.

Yeah definitely do it when you get the chance. The wife didn't want to watch it with me so I've been watching on the ipad on the HBO Go app and on demand sometimes. Crazy that this show started in 1999....funny to see some of the out-dated stuff, but still damn good. What a bunch of beauties in that crew....Paulie fucking cracks me up.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah definitely do it when you get the chance. The wife didn't want to watch it with me so I've been watching on the ipad on the HBO Go app and on demand sometimes. Crazy that this show started in 1999....funny to see some of the out-dated stuff, but still damn good. What a bunch of beauties in that crew....Paulie fucking cracks me up.

Yeah one of the out-dated things that really stood out to me was Meadow showing AJ the mob website. I'm pretty sure it was Netscape!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    the 1st few seasons are fantastic. the only thing I dislike in those 1st few seasons is tony's mother. she just annoys me and her voice just grates on my nerves.
    pjhawks wrote:
    the 1st few seasons are fantastic. the only thing I dislike in those 1st few seasons is tony's mother. she just annoys me and her voice just grates on my nerves.

really? have we ever agreed on anything? :lol:

livia, i'm not going to say "made that show," but that character was played sooooooooo well. most anyone with old italian grandmom or great grandmom could relate, not to the wanting to kill her son, but to the weird idiosyncrasies she exhibited: she doesn't drive after dark, she's suspicious of the mailman, she's constantly complaining nobody comes to see her, constantly wanting to feed people, not trusting her "retirement community" etc etc etc.......plus her character was SOOO vital to tony. everything always came back to her even up to the last season.

part of the show died when she passed away.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

really? have we ever agreed on anything? :lol:

livia, i'm not going to say "made that show," but that character was played sooooooooo well. most anyone with old italian grandmom or great grandmom could relate, not to the wanting to kill her son, but to the weird idiosyncrasies she exhibited: she doesn't drive after dark, she's suspicious of the mailman, she's constantly complaining nobody comes to see her, constantly wanting to feed people, not trusting her "retirement community" etc etc etc.......plus her character was SOOO vital to tony. everything always came back to her even up to the last season.

part of the show died when she passed away.

I used to agree with pjhawks and found her annoying, but I really appreciate her now. I laughed out loud when Tony went to see her and brought her macaroons (I think?) and she said, "Leave some out for the lunatics." Juggler is right about her being vital and the actress was amazing. RIP.
    rrivers wrote:

I used to agree with pjhawks and found her annoying, but I really appreciate her now. I laughed out loud when Tony went to see her and brought her macaroons (I think?) and she said, "Leave some out for the lunatics." Juggler is right about her being vital and the actress was amazing. RIP.

I used to feel the same way too. But since I've been re-watching it, she is one of the best characters on the show. Like Juggler said, I think the show lost a lot when Nancy Marchand passed away.
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    rrivers wrote:

I used to feel the same way too. But since I've been re-watching it, she is one of the best characters on the show. Like Juggler said, I think the show lost a lot when Nancy Marchand passed away.

George Clooney, don't get in the fuckin' middle of this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5BfnNXqqA

SHE'S SMILIN' LOOK AT THE FUCKIN SMILE ON HER FACE...

Livia Soprano = a cold mean woman. Part of Tony's depression stems from her. Remember when she told Artie about the fire? Plotted with Junior to have T whacked? With Dr.Melfi, T only remembered his mom laughing once when his dad fell down the stairs..he even said she wore him down to a nub...
    She was annoying alright...showed you how awesome Marchand played that character...imagine what could have been had she not passed away...Barely 20 something episodes, and that actress made everyone glad she wasn't their "mudda"...

One thing I noticed, and it may be a reach, but after re-watching season 6 lately, when T has the dream and is going towards entering the house, the woman at the door looks awfully close to an exact silhouette of Livia. Apparently she was written based on David Chase's own mom...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

fucking awesome....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Livia Soprano = a cold mean woman. Part of Tony's depression stems from her. Remember when she told Artie about the fire? Plotted with Junior to have T whacked? With Dr.Melfi, T only remembered his mom laughing once when his dad fell down the stairs..he even said she wore him down to a nub...
    She was annoying alright...showed you how awesome Marchand played that character...imagine what could have been had she not passed away...Barely 20 something episodes, and that actress made everyone glad she wasn't their "mudda"...

One thing I noticed, and it may be a reach, but after re-watching season 6 lately, when T has the dream and is going towards entering the house, the woman at the door looks awfully close to an exact silhouette of Livia. Apparently she was written based on David Chase's own mom...

Yeah I always assumed the silhouette in the house was supposed to be Livia.

"Some people don't wanna..."
    Test Dream episode is on tonight....fucking trippy
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    My all time favourite TV show. Nothing else even comes close in my opinion. The characters, relationships, story arcs... everything. It's like modern day Shakespeare :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052

That's from season five? That's one of the few episodes I didn't like and I loved season five.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Is that the one where Tony dreams he's a regular guy? A salesman, or something? His acting in that episode is truly great.
    Byrnzie wrote:

Is that the one where Tony dreams he's a regular guy? A salesman, or something? His acting in that episode is truly great.

no, but agreed.

you are thinking of the dream from when he was in the coma. this one was towards the end of season 5 when he was staying at the plaza in ny. the one with annette benning in it. it lasts almost the entire episode and it ends up convincing him that he has to get rid of tony b.
    chinese-happy.jpg

That's from season five? That's one of the few episodes I didn't like and I loved season five.

I didn't really care for the episode when it aired, but watching it again in the context of the whole show I enjoyed it more. I think it was more of when I first saw it I was bummed they were using a whole episode for a dream sequence when there were so few episodes per season.

I agree, there has been some great TV over the last decade plus, but this show is still my favorite.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    cutz said:
    RIP.  My favorite character on the show.  
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The stuff with his mother and her “friends” was hilarious.