The Sopranos

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm a relative latecomer to this series. I watched series 4 a few years ago but have only been catching up with the rest of them over the past year.

I love it!

Anyone else a fan?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• huge fan. Was a latecomer as well, got into the series right as Season 6 part 2 was airing. My moms side of the family is italian, and I have always identified with that part of my heritige, as I am close to my moms relatives.

I took 2 years of italian in college, and never really connected with it. Even with my own heritige it just never really made any sense to me and never had an impact. Whats funny is, my Italian class, in 2 years, never mentioned The Sopranos tv show once. Not once. I can tell you right now though, that had I been watching that show during those years of Italian class, I would have loved every minute of that class.

Additionally, The Sopranos made me proud to be Italian. My moms side is from New Jersey, so seeing that the show was set in suburban New Jersey really had an impact.

I love the dialogue, the language. Manigut. gabagool, MOOZarella, Madone.

A very good case could be made for it being the greatest show on tv.
  • the show is flawless. I also find it facinating to read about the family that inspired the Sopranos show. And how real mafia members would watch the show every week and critique it or praise it. I love the characters. Christopher, AJ, Tone, Pauly Walnuts, Silvio, Bobby Baccala, Uncle june, dr melphi, these are great characters
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    huge fan. Was a latecomer as well, got into the series right as Season 6 part 2 was airing. My moms side of the family is italian, and I have always identified with that part of my heritage, as I am close to my moms relatives.

I took 2 years of italian in college, and never really connected with it. Even with my own heritage it just never really made any sense to me and never had an impact. Whats funny is, my Italian class, in 2 years, never mentioned The Sopranos tv show once. Not once. I can tell you right now though, that had I been watching that show during those years of Italian class, I would have loved every minute of that class.

Additionally, The Sopranos made me proud to be Italian. My moms side is from New Jersey, so seeing that the show was set in suburban New Jersey really had an impact.

Steve Van Zandt's character cracks me up. He's so over-the-top & exaggerated. I've still got another series and a half to watch so I've something to look forward to.
  • Great show but i haven't seen the last series yet :?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The Sopranos and The Wire are my two favorite shows ever.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    My favourite drama series ever.
    I got the box set of all seasons.
    Got to watch them again one day.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    I just watched the entire series on DVD over the past six weeks. Incredible show. I really liked The Wire but this was on another level. Hands down the best drama series I've ever seen. I can't say enough good things about the show.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    By far one of the greatest TV shows ever made. From season one episode one, to the series finale, it was a fantastic ride!!

Huge Sopranos fan!! :mrgreen:

Favorite episode: Pine Barrens. Loved Paulie, Chris, and the Russian in the woods!!!
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    huge fan. Was a latecomer as well, got into the series right as Season 6 part 2 was airing. My moms side of the family is italian, and I have always identified with that part of my heritige, as I am close to my moms relatives.

I took 2 years of italian in college, and never really connected with it. Even with my own heritige it just never really made any sense to me and never had an impact. Whats funny is, my Italian class, in 2 years, never mentioned The Sopranos tv show once. Not once. I can tell you right now though, that had I been watching that show during those years of Italian class, I would have loved every minute of that class.

I enjoyed the show also for what it was....but how the fuck does a bunch of low-life murdering scumbag Italian mobsters make you proud to be an Italian?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    aNiMaL wrote:
    By far one of the greatest TV shows ever made. From season one episode one, to the series finale, it was a fantastic ride!!

Favorite episode: Pine Barrens. Loved Paulie, Chris, and the Russian in the woods!!!

I saw this episode just yesterday - weird coincidence.
    The Champ wrote:
    I enjoyed the show also for what it was....but how the fuck does a bunch of low-life murdering scumbag Italian mobsters make you proud to be an Italian?

But they're not low-life scumbags, they're all interesting, funny, cool characters.

Clearly you just don't get it.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

I saw this episode just yesterday - weird coincidence.
    Thinking about that episode just makes me smile. :D
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

But they're not low-life scumbags, they're all interesting, funny, cool characters.

Clearly, you don't get it....Silvio was the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgBf6VQbaY
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    aNiMaL wrote:

Ohhh that's the one!!!!
    I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life!
    Whatever happened to the Russian :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The Champ wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Clearly, you don't get it....Silvio was the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgBf6VQbaY

Great episode.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    my fav is when Ralf called Paulies mom. "he was suckin a cubsscouts dick" lmfao
    I'll be back
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    aNiMaL wrote:

Ohhh that's the one!!!!
    I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life!
    Whatever happened to the Russian :?
    SPOILER ALERT.......

The Russian never came back. I was sure somewhere down the line he would return, but never did.
  • the sopranos makes me proud to be italian because it made italian fun in my mind. As I said, I took 2 years of italian in college and just couldnt get into it. I loathed that class. With the Sopranos, their were many on the surface, and hidden references to Italy, the culture, the way of life, and constant Italian slang and words. As someone who interacts with people/family daily who are italian and lived and were born in the suburbs of New jersey, I can tell you that is how Italians act. I found the characters very real, because my mom, uncle, grandfather all are from new jersey and are italian. The way they talk, their demeanor, their attitude. Years later I still talk about "getting some gabbagool" when I am hungry, and eating manigut, (manicotti). When I was in italian class, i really had no desire to memorize these words, or to learn italian. It was boring to me. With The Sopranos, I felt and feel proud to be italian, and feel sort of sad I didnt know about The Sopranos when i was in class, I may have majored in it.
  • My mom and her side of the family, moved to the west coast years before i was born, and I have lived on the west coast my whole life. The Sopranos, sort of allowed me to visit, vicariously, that part of my heritidge.

Beyond that, the show is expertly written. Its flawless.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    It is great. I have been watching the whole series this fall, somewhat out of order. I still have season 2 and Season 6 to finish.

I still don't understand how selfish murders makes you proud to be Italian, but to each his own.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    It is great. I have been watching the whole series this fall, somewhat out of order. I still have season 2 and Season 6 to finish.

I still don't understand how selfish murders makes you proud to be Italian, but to each his own.

Yeah i was a little confused about that. The Kray twins don't make me proud to be English :?:

I need to start collecting these on dvd i think, and Babylon 5...
  • Sopranos use to be my favorite tv series of all time until the excellent "The Wire" came along ;)
    29th May 2000 London, 30th May 2000 London, 8th July 2003 MSG
    9th July 2003 MSG, 1st June 2006 East Rutherford
    3rd June 2006 East Rutherford, 29th August 2006 Arnhem
    28th June 2007 Nijmegan, 24th June 2008 MSG, 25th June 2008 MSG, 23rd August 2009 Chicago, 24th August 2009 Chicago.
    May 17th 2010 Boston, May 20th 2010 MSG, May 21st 2010 MSG.
    June 28th Berlin, July 9th Bilbao
    EV solo: 22nd June NYC, 25th June Philly 2011
    Alpine Valley 3rd & 4th September 2011, Montreal 7th September 2011
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,107
    rrivers wrote:

You're missing his point, and tangentially, the point of the show.

It's not about the mob or 'selfish murders', it's focus is on the family's that these people have, and their real life day to day activities. They just happen to be in the mob. They are full blooded Italians, and since it's main element is family interaction, it is a slice of Italian Americana life. The poster who is proud to be Italian because of this show is OBVIOUSLY not referring to the mob side of it, but rather the Italian family elements, which this show executes expertly.

This reminds me of when someone tries to compare something to Nazi Germany or a leader to Hitler and some nudnick shoots you down and brings up the Holocaust and how you can't compare. You do realize there was more to Nazi Germany than the Holocaust. There was more to the Sopranos than mob hits.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    rrivers wrote:

It's not about the mob or 'selfish murders', it's focus is on the family's that these people have, and their real life day to day activities. They just happen to be in the mob. They are full blooded Italians, and since it's main element is family interaction, it is a slice of Italian Americana life. The poster who is proud to be Italian because of this show is OBVIOUSLY not referring to the mob side of it, but rather the Italian family elements, which this show executes expertly.

This reminds me of when someone tries to compare something to Nazi Germany or a leader to Hitler and some nudnick shoots you down and brings up the Holocaust and how you can't compare. You do realize there was more to Nazi Germany than the Holocaust. There was more to the Sopranos than mob hits.

I forgot you are the expert on all things Sopranos. The characters on the show outside of their mob activities are still nothing to be proud of. You must be referring to the great family interaction of a mother who tries to have her son killed and the son then almost smothering his mother with a pillow. Or maybe the many times Christopher hit Adriana. Or Tony's cheating. Right, I forgot how much there is to look up to there.

Great show with compelling characters, yes. Model of family life? Not so much. Thanks for explaining the point of the show to all us nudnicks.
    rrivers wrote:

As Paulie would say: 'Exatamondo my friend!' :mrgreen:
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Regardless of their failings as human beings such as being sociopaths, murderers and womanizers, the mafia has always been a compelling draw largely because of the secretive ways of organized crime. That's why the show is so compelling and why I always watch it on demand. Right now, I just finished watching season five, which is my favorite of the last three years.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Regardless of their failings as human beings such as being sociopaths, murderers and womanizers, the mafia has always been a compelling draw largely because of the secretive ways of organized crime. That's why the show is so compelling and why I always watch it on demand. Right now, I just finished watching season five, which is my favorite of the last three years.

I agree with you completely. The show was compelling for a number of reasons. Organized crime in itself is compelling. Throw in fully formed characters, smart dialogue and you have one of, if not the most watchable tv show ever.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    rrivers wrote:

I agree with you completely. The show was compelling for a number of reasons. Organized crime in itself is compelling. Throw in fully formed characters, smart dialogue and you have one of, if not the most watchable tv show ever.

I love varies subtle deliveries of the dialogue. Perfect example is the second to last episode of season five, Chris is late and when Tony asks where he was, his answer is the following:

"The highway was jammed with heroes on a last-chance power trip".
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I guess I am in the minority. In my view, The Sopranos is a colossal disappointment.

The 1st 2 seasons were A+++ material. Great story lines, cerebral enough, good characters, neatly wound, etc.

After that, progressively worse.

*possible spoiler*

after season 2... so many loose ends, so many decent plot lines and characters that just faded out with little, unsatisfying, or no resolution... not much direction, not so tightly wound... etc.

The whole reason I hung on the last 2 or 3 miserable seasons was just to see how it would end and see the fate of Tony Soprano and the family. Would he get busted? Would he get shot? Who would shoot him? Would they get control of the family? Was all of it just a dream/coma of an ordinary Joe? etc... It was nothing. The show seemed to not have a real direction. It was like the Italian-American organizations scared the writers/producers out of creating any decent story lines.
    And to end the show they way they did is a total and absolute cop-out that has zero quality as far as I can see.
    Ralphie: Mrs. Marianucci Gualtieiri?
    Nucci: Yes?
    Ralphie: Hi, this is Detective Mike Hunt, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania police department. Do you have a son Peter Paul?
    Nucci: Oh, my God! What happened?
    Ralphie: He's all right, ma'am, but I'm afraid he's in a little trouble. We found him in a public men's room in Lafayette Park. I don't know how to put this delicately: he was sucking a cub scout's dick.
    Nucci: What? No, it's a mistake.
    Ralphie: Ma'am, I wish that was all, but, uh, we also had to have emergency surgery performed upon arrival at headquarters, after discovery of a small rodent in the rectal passage.
    Nucci: OH, MY GOD!