Options

Tom Petty - Some Recommendations Please....

2»

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Spotify 

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    American Treasure is flat out amazing, but OP should start by listening to the studio stuff first. So you have some context for the live, alt take stuff later. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    edited June 2022
    American Treasure is flat out amazing, but OP should start by listening to the studio stuff first. So you have some context for the live, alt take stuff later. 

Do note the OP made this post in May of 2012.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,723
    Whatever you start with, Damn the Torpedoes is certainly  a "must have".  It's one of the greatest American rock records ever made.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    mickeyrat said:

And I resurrected the post because I just wanted to share I’m in a real Tom Petty phase at the moment. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

And I resurrected the post because I just wanted to share I’m in a real Tom Petty phase at the moment. 

Do note he said OP.

but do dive deep. so many hits on virtually every record. phenomenal musicians.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    oh yeah, if you have siriusxm check out the Tom Petty channel.

• Options
    BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    I keep getting drawn back to Southern Accents lately. Such a great album that doesn’t get as much love as Torpedoes or Wildflowers. 

Check out Traveling Wilburys as well if you haven’t already. Not exclusively TP, but his fingerprints are all over those two albums as well.  
  • Options
    BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    edited June 2022
    I am also continually drawn back to Something Good Coming off Mojo. Great deep cut that doesn’t get a lot of love. Mike Campbell does a stripped down version for a TP tribute that is haunting of you can find it.

It’s the second song in this clip: https://youtu.be/URr83yI-tQM
    Post edited by BB162610 on
  • Options
    Can’t stop listening / streaming The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection. Such a great collection of songs. Just received my Wildflowers and All the Rest vinyl LP too. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    Can’t stop listening / streaming The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection. Such a great collection of songs. Just received my Wildflowers and All the Rest vinyl LP too. 
    You will like live anthology.  It’s the live version of the greatest hits album basically 

you can put those two albums in a playlist studio/live order for a lot of songs
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    ITunes here in Australia doesn’t have the Live Anthology for streaming…how can that be!?!? 🫤
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ITunes here in Australia doesn’t have the Live Anthology for streaming…how can that be!?!? 🫤
    huh.
    try youtube as a complete album offering?

or the hard way is to screenshot the titles and show info and search out those you can on youtube with video or just audio.

Amazon music has it. Do you have prime?

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    huh.

or the hard way is to screenshot the titles and show info and search out those you can on youtube with video or just audio.

So frustrating! No, I don’t have Prime, will look into YouTube. 👍
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    huh.

Use a VPN if you have to, so you are in the US not Australia.  It’s a good option anytime anything is restricted based on location 

for iTunes you need a us card and address though. They don’t care where you actually live 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    huh.

Use a VPN if you have to, so you are in the US not Australia.  It’s a good option anytime anything is restricted based on location 

for iTunes you need a us card and address though. They don’t care where you actually live 

and try amazon music anyway, you never know.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    huh.

and try amazon music anyway, you never know.
    I know right, No live anthology for the entire country?

Australia isn’t an open air prison any more, or perhaps it is
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    One thing I have been enjoying (first half) is the wildflowers documentary on you tube. Awesome, looking forward to watching the second half. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    @BrainofBGA

I will get this set into my iTunes and send you a Google Drive link to download it. You MUST own it! PM me your e-mail address and I’ll get working on that this week! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    I’ve always found “You’re Gonna Get It!” to be a sleeper in the Tom Petty catalog, the deep cuts are fantastic. The album cover may be his worst though lol
  • Options
    @BrainofBGA

I will get this set into my iTunes and send you a Google Drive link to download it. You MUST own it! PM me your e-mail address and I’ll get working on that this week! 
    Wow, that would be awesome @2-feign-reluctance

Ill send you a PM. 👍 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    I love Kiss My Amps 2, an RSD vinyl.

It originated as a Live Download for fan club members called Live 2013... then they shorted it to fit on the LP.   Such a good listen :)
  • Options
    Just also watch Damn the Torpedoes on the Greatest Albums series. Not as good as the Wildflowers documentary of course, but still really great to see and hear how an album gets recorded and put together. I’d love to see one of these for PJ! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,008
    Start with the first album and work your way through his discography. They’re all great. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Spent the afternoon listening to Wildflowers and all the rest on vinyl. Headphones on…glorious. Just love the overall presentation and layout of that release. 

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14