Options

The idea of “pre-saving” new albums

I think one of the funnier things in the modern music industry is the idea of the “pre-save” option for songs/albums on streaming platforms. 

Is there any benefit at all to the consumer with this ability? 

I’m sure it’s very valuable for labels and management teams to gauge interest, but is that it? 
Pittsburgh 2013
Cincinnati 2014
Greenville 2016
(Raleigh 2016)
Columbia 2016

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I guess it shows up/auto downloads/or notifies you on the release date in case you forget

ive preordered physical releases and  totally forgot about it until the record is on my porch 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    I guess it shows up/auto downloads/or notifies you on the release date in case you forget

ive preordered physical releases and  totally forgot about it until the record is on my porch 
    Same boat for physical releases. But if someone is following a band or likes them, I’d have to assume most wont forget or be able to avoid seeing when it’s out.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,910
    One of the only reasons I can think of is making people commit their $$ to purchase. Say, in ITunes case, where you purchase albums as opposed to streaming them and paying a monthly sub you’re committing your money. Can’t think of any reasons other the ones already suggested. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    Its just low hanging fruit for engagement. Hurts nothing to say “pre-save” but it’s got potential to get a fan to have it DL’d day one, but mainly they get the credit for the DL/stream. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I don’t do the social media side of streaming, but doesn’t saving albums allow you to share it, or for people to see you are saving it? Kind of like free advertising