Buying through Amazon

2»

Comments

• they dented the corner of my pj20 book(damaged while shipped)
    i was pissed cause they didn't care at all
    but i got it real cheap...
  • they dented the corner of my pj20 book(damaged while shipped)
    Really?

I had a slight crease in my PJ20 cover and they replaced with free return no problem.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • I do a lot of shopping through Amazon and I have yet to have a bad experience. I've had to return a few items over the years and every time it's been fixed very easily. I did every single bit of my Christmas shopping through them this year.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • My experiences have all been positive.

Although it's made impulse shopping a REALLY dangerous thing.

With the Amazon app for my cell phone, I can just hear of something...think of something... get it in my mind that I want something... and before I have the chance to decide if it's a good idea or not... but it with one click.

Which can get out of control.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    they dented the corner of my pj20 book(damaged while shipped)
    By "they" do you mean Amazon or one of the many book dealer who sell though Amazon? Listen to this:

"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has reported that the number of third-party sellers on his company's website grew from over 100,000 in the fourth quarter of 2001 to over 150,000 in the first quarter of 2002, and roughly one-third of these appear to be entrepreneurial sellers who are operating full- or part-time businesses in competition with each other..."

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Used-Book ... 0971577838

I'm not saying Amazon is a bad company or trying to disparage them but I think buyers should be aware of what's involved in buying on-line. If you can't find it locally, on-line often makes sense. But if you buy books from an independent local book dealer, most of us will tell you up front if there is damage to the book, most of us price the book according to condition and you may inspect the book before you purchase. Besides that, local bookstores are fun , interesting, community oriented and for the most part, independently owned.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Never had a problem with Amazon and I'm in Australia. I have brought shoes, wii gear, clothes, manchester, party stuffs......all good!

But if you're after lost dogs cd's, JB-hifi stores have it. If you don't have one near you, they have an online store. Or try musicshop.com.au too
  • Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
    Franny wrote:
    Never had a problem with Amazon and I'm in Australia. I have brought shoes, wii gear, clothes, manchester, party stuffs......all good!

But if you're after lost dogs cd's, JB-hifi stores have it. If you don't have one near you, they have an online store. Or try musicshop.com.au too
    Thanks, do you buy through the American amazon or other? I heard UK shipping is faster.

I bought all my other cd's through JB hifi but they didnt have LD in stock. I'm in the north west of WA so absolutely nothing nearby. But I'll have a look at musicshop too.
    Perth Nov 14, 2009
    Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
  • Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
    brianlux wrote:
    If you can't find something locally, Amazon does a good job. On the other hand, if you can find what you're looking locally, PLEASE support your local small business. Many of us in small business (in my case, the used book business) are struggling to keep our heads above water. The large number of folks buying books on line has killed many a fine small used Bookstores. Several of my favorite book stores on the west coast have closed their doors because they can't compete with Amazon (mainly because on-line dealers don't pay rent, hire staff, need insurance for their business, etc.) We're still in business, but it's a real struggle.

PLEASE, WHEN YOU CAN, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SMALL BUSINESS! Thanks.

I always try to buy local hence me being a little naive on the whole internet shopping thing. I live in a remote area so it makes it a little hard....we do have a little record store here so I might ask if they can get it in for me. Just the history with any shops here means it'll take forever and will probably come damaged or just completely wrong....
    Perth Nov 14, 2009
    Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    they dented the corner of my pj20 book(damaged while shipped)

Same thing happened to me.
    I think it may have been caused at the printing house....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've never had a problem with Amazon. Everything I've ordered has arrived, even here in China. I've used it for the past 4 years here to get my books.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I have noticed this recently on a few purchases I've made. I tend to sort things by customer review to start looking at things that are top rated.

Today I was searching for a wifi extender for our home and did the sort by review. It is amazing how many reviews are completely unrelated to the product itself. Even if I tell it to give me only verified reviews which is supposed to be just people that purchased the product directly the reviews appear to be for a movie/book.

What the fuck is going on there?  I'm seeing this on multiple extenders.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2022
    I have noticed this recently on a few purchases I've made. I tend to sort things by customer review to start looking at things that are top rated.

Today I was searching for a wifi extender for our home and did the sort by review. It is amazing how many reviews are completely unrelated to the product itself. Even if I tell it to give me only verified reviews which is supposed to be just people that purchased the product directly the reviews appear to be for a movie/book.

What the fuck is going on there?  I'm seeing this on multiple extenders.

That's weird - must be some kind of glitch or date entry error. You should let Amazon know so they can fix it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I only order from Amazon as a last resort. Over a month ago, I ordered some specific record sleeves (I usually get them elsewhere but this time couldn't. A little while later I received notice from Amazon that the shipment could not be delivered due to damage in shipping and was told I would be refunded. I have not received that refund yet. I tried going going through their system to find out why no refund and every attempt led me to a dead end. On-line chat led to a dead end. Asked for call back and was told that was not possible at this time- dead end. Nothing but dead-ends.

What a joke. My reluctance to order from Amazon has grown deeper than ever. I'm a fool for ordering from them in the first place. I really should have known better. Nothing but trouble- and this is not the first time. Never again!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I'm the opposite...not sure why you hit that dead end but it might be because you are dealing directly with a seller that is just using Amazon's platform.

We get stuff almost daily. I love it. Toothpaste, shaving cream, deoderant, etc., I buy six packs of these so when I grab the last one I just place an order to replenish.

Returning stuff is very easy now. You don't even have to package it up. Just take it to a UPS store or Kohl's with your return authorization and they handle it.

If I were you I would dispute that charge on your credit card as never received and let them sort it out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I'm the opposite...not sure why you hit that dead end but it might be because you are dealing directly with a seller that is just using Amazon's platform.

We get stuff almost daily. I love it. Toothpaste, shaving cream, deoderant, etc., I buy six packs of these so when I grab the last one I just place an order to replenish.

Returning stuff is very easy now. You don't even have to package it up. Just take it to a UPS store or Kohl's with your return authorization and they handle it.

If I were you I would dispute that charge on your credit card as never received and let them sort it out.

Actually, the order info says Amazon is the sender, so I'm dealing directly with Amazon and they have provided no way to ask why I have not received a refund.  It's all a dead end.
    I never should have ordered from Amazon in the first place.  Bezos has admitted his aim is to kill independent family businesses.  That alone is reason not to support them.  There are other reasons- working conditions, their proliferation of warehouses invading neighborhoods and polluting the air in those areas with fleets of trucks.  Million upon million of people support Amazon with either no knowledge of how they go about doing business or not caring if they do know. I will never purchase anything from "The Evil One" (the nickname a friend of mine gave them) again. Never!