Options

Buying through Amazon

Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Can anyone comment on good or bad experiences buying stuff through Amazon? It seems to be the only place I can find a replacement for my Lost Dogs cd so thought I'd give it a go for the first time. Also should I go .com (America) or .co.uk as there doesn't seem to be Amazon just for Australia.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Perth Nov 14, 2009
Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jen07 wrote:
    Can anyone comment on good or bad experiences buying stuff through Amazon? It seems to be the only place I can find a replacement for my Lost Dogs cd so thought I'd give it a go for the first time. Also should I go .com (America) or .co.uk as there doesn't seem to be Amazon just for Australia.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazon is the way to run a business.

Edit: i am american, but can't imagine others are any different
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    +1

Always been smooth as silk for me
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    We get everything from Amazon now. If you sign up for Amazon Prime (like $80 a year), you get free shipping and two day delivery. I read somewhere it's the best place to buy appliances. I mostly buy books and movies though.

One example - today I got an order and they sent the wrong thing. I went online to customer service, they ordered the right item to be sent in one day, I printed up a label to send back the wrong thing. Then I got an email that because the wrong thing was vitamins, I could just keep them.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    always expensive shipping to Greece,i never buy from amazon
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Great place to buy....I purchase quite regularly through them...I buy through the Canadian and America store...I always get a kick out of the 10 c, when I buy off them they say it can take 8-10 weeks for delivery to Canada because of customs...yet Amazon in the US is usually less than a week...I guess they have pull in customs :lol::lol::lol:.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    You can check this out, worked good for me! :thumbup:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=118154&ev=mb
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    love Amazon...books, movies, vinyl, toys...seemed like they were bringing me something once a week or so in December. Orders over $25 ship for free with amazon.ca, so I usually don't pay shipping. I find they are very quick to deliver as well.
  • Options
    Nima36Nima36 Posts: 221
    I've had nothing but solid experiences with Amazon. If you are going to use Amazon, go through Bill Burr's site. You get your Goods and support a great comic. Just go through his site by clicking on the Amazon Banner on the right hand site.

http://billburr.com/podcast
  • Options
    Deep93Deep93 Posts: 86
    Jen07 wrote:

I see lost dogs at HMV all the time.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Never had a problem with Amazon.
  • Options
    Love it. 90% of my purchases are used CDs so really the only downfall is you cant predict how long it will take to deliver, unless of course you always buy from the same seller...if you choose standard, I've had some stuff arrive in days and others in weeks.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Jen07Jen07 Posts: 116
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Wish i found amazon ages ago, wouldve saved me a heap of money. I've always just used aussie sites (a trust thing) but now im getting more adventurous :D
    Perth Nov 14, 2009
    Perth April 1, 2011 (EV solo)
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Make most of my online purchases through Amazon,love it,never had any problems.UK shipping is fast,sometimes next day if I have ordered before midday.US shipping obviously takes longer and shipping customs can seriously bump up the price.

Brilliant site,couldn't fault it :thumbup:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jen07 wrote:

before you go amazon try here:

http://www.redeye.com.au/answer.asp?rei ... rch=search
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    or CD Wow....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    or CD Wow....

I found them terrible to be honest. Maybe I was just unlucky or maybe it's just the european side but i'll never order through them again.

Amazon is really the only place I order from these days, sometimes play.com too.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    or CD Wow....

I found them terrible to be honest. Maybe I was just unlucky or maybe it's just the european side but i'll never order through them again.

Amazon is really the only place I order from these days, sometimes play.com too.

Why? What happened?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I've bought literally hundreds of CD's and books from Amazon, been using them for years, have never once had a problem, apart from my cc limit!
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I only use to buy cd's and book from Amazon,but now it is the first place I go to have a look for anything I am needing to buy.

Use play.com more for c.d's now as I like the feature they have that you can see the tracks and running order,brilliant if you are looking for a few particular tracks on a collection album and want to make sure you buy the right one.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I buy just about everything from Amazon. Quick (at least in the US), convenient, and easy to deal with. You can't go wrong.
  • Options
    a few years ago I bought a new recumbent exercise bike thru Amazon. When I put it together, all the screen would say was E-2 error. When i tried to contact the seller, after reading online that that error message wasa death sentence for the bike, he never responded, and was soon gone from Amazon. Schwinn, the maker sof the bike were extremely helpful and sent me 3 or 4 replacement parts, none of which worked. But since I did not buy the bike from them, they were under no obligation to replace it entirely or refund. I felt Schwinn actually did far more than they had to under the circumstances. That was the last time i bought anything on Amazon that wasn't directly from Amazon, fulfilled thru Amazon, etc...A few years later, I bought a very similar bike thru Walmart, and had zero problems
  • Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    I've never had a bad experience with Amazon. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Hope all the input helps! :D
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    edited January 2012
    If you can't find something locally, Amazon does a good job. On the other hand, if you can find what you're looking locally, PLEASE support your local small business. Many of us in small business (in my case, the used book business) are struggling to keep our heads above water. The large number of folks buying books on line has killed many a fine small used Bookstores. Several of my favorite book stores on the west coast have closed their doors because they can't compete with Amazon (mainly because on-line dealers don't pay rent, hire staff, need insurance for their business, etc.) We're still in business, but it's a real struggle.

PLEASE, WHEN YOU CAN, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SMALL BUSINESS! Thanks.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    brianlux wrote:
    If you can't find something locally, Amazon does a good job. On the other hand, if you can find what you're looking locally, PLEASE support your local small business. Many of us in small business (in my case, the used book business) are struggling to keep our heads above water. The large number of folks buying books on line has killed a many fine small used Bookstores. Several of my favorite book stores on the west coast have closed their doors because they can't compete with Amazon (mainly because on-line dealers don't pay rent, hire staff, need insurance for their business, etc.) We're in business, but it's a real struggle.

:thumbup:
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux wrote:
    If you can't find something locally, Amazon does a good job. On the other hand, if you can find what you're looking locally, PLEASE support your local small business. Many of us in small business (in my case, the used book business) are struggling to keep our heads above water. The large number of folks buying books on line has killed many a fine small used Bookstores. Several of my favorite book stores on the west coast have closed their doors because they can't compete with Amazon (mainly because on-line dealers don't pay rent, hire staff, need insurance for their business, etc.) We're still in business, but it's a real struggle.

hence my post. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    got my Live on ten legs box set for $36 on Amazon. Got it in 4 days.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Bought my HD tv from them a couple years ago. Great price, free shipping. Cant go wrong.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Amazon has a distribution warehouse in each of the 8 shipping zones, so they can ship items to you for cheap/free.

I have never had a bad experience with them, love buying books/CDs from them.

I also read product reviews there.

One time I bought a product thru their marketplace and the item was wrong. I contacted the company (NOT Amazon) and they gave me the runaround. I then contacted Amazon, and filed a complaint. Amazon refunded me my money right away. I believe Amazon dropped the company from their marketplace...they had a lot of complaints anyway. I would def buy thru the marketplace if you want something and aren't sure about the company selling it, Amazon acts as a 'middleman' and they want you to be happy.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I buy many, many things on Amazon. From Almond Milk to the PJ20 Vinyl. I have Prime. Free 2nd day shipping on many/most products. It pays for itself x 10. One time I ordered a home theater and it took a week. I complained and they refunded me the shipping cost which was like 2x what Prime was per year.

I have probably made 150 purchases on Amazon. Not 1 bad experience
  • Options
    Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    I order through amazon.ca and seeing as I can't get alot of the merch offered from the US site, I can honestly say that they are my Go-To for any music or book purchases etc. I have NEVER had a bad experience with them.
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols