Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    hedonist said:

#1) Aenima 
    #1A) Lateralus
    3) Undertow
    4) Fear Inoculum
    5) 10,000 Days

FI might be a better / more polished album than Undertow, but like w/ Aenima, the nostalgia of my first introduction to the band clouds my judgment.

10,000 days has some great stuff on it, but feels less like an album to me as it does a collection of songs. 

I also find Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days to be boring and anti climactic (Blasphemy, I know, it is what it is). 
    The song literally builds into a climax... A crescendo if you will.
    No doubt, but I find that crescendo pretty underwhelming, when considering the buildup towards it (& the fact that it's the title track).

It's at the point where I skip those 2 songs when I listen to the album because when it hits that crescendo I feel like I wasted my time getting there :D.

It's my opinion that if not for the lyrical content, those two songs wouldn't be half as highly regarded as they are. 

“Tell them their pillar of strength has ascended.” That whole set of lyrics…oh man, they just get me. 

Agreed, no knock on the lyrics, they're pretty fantastic, and obviously the subject matter is as personal to him as it gets (& a lot of people can relate to it through their own experiences - I'm INCREDIBLY fortunate 45 years into life that I haven't lost either of my parents, or anyone else close enough for me to relate to the song in that way... not that that's a prerequisite, but I've heard a lot of people relate those tunes to the loss of their own parent / someone close). 

Still in all, they're some of my least favorite Tool songs, enough so that I skip over them when listening to 10K Days. 

• AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    I liked 10,000 days more than Lateralus and I know I am in the minority.
    I like FI more than them all. That probably puts me in the minority too. To me it’s their best work. 
    Agree. 7empest on a loop for 2 years in my wife's vehicle. Impossible to get tired of it. 

I liked 10,000 days more than Lateralus and I know I am in the minority.
    Agree here too. Couldn't get into Tool via Lateralus back in the day, but 10000 Days did the trick  I had to mature to appreciate Lateralus properly. 

1. Fear
    2. 10k
    3. Aenima 
    4. Lateralus 
    5. Undertow
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    hedonist said:

#1) Aenima 
    #1A) Lateralus
    3) Undertow
    4) Fear Inoculum
    5) 10,000 Days

FI might be a better / more polished album than Undertow, but like w/ Aenima, the nostalgia of my first introduction to the band clouds my judgment.

10,000 days has some great stuff on it, but feels less like an album to me as it does a collection of songs. 

I also find Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days to be boring and anti climactic (Blasphemy, I know, it is what it is). 
    No doubt, but I find that crescendo pretty underwhelming, when considering the buildup towards it (& the fact that it's the title track).

It's at the point where I skip those 2 songs when I listen to the album because when it hits that crescendo I feel like I wasted my time getting there :D.

It's my opinion that if not for the lyrical content, those two songs wouldn't be half as highly regarded as they are. 

“Tell them their pillar of strength has ascended.” That whole set of lyrics…oh man, they just get me. 

Exactly.  "It's time now, my time now, give me, give me my wings!"

Then that phat bass line kicks in!
    Aenima
    FI
    Undertow
    Lateralus
    Opiate

Throw Salival in the middle for Maynard's P.
    Aenima
    FI
    Undertow
    Lateralus
    Opiate

Not to mention No Quarter, or the live versions of Pushit & Third Eye. 

Those tracks are glorious. 

Lateralus as your least favorite studio album - not something you hear often... to each his own though, I respect the rankings. 
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    I have to go:

Lateralus
    Aenima
    Opiate
    Undertow
    10,000 Days
    FI

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days is epic. I can't stand Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and I skip that every time - talk about boring (I know some love those tracks).

The tracks on FI are just too damn long and I lose interest after a while. 
    Aenima
    FI
    Undertow
    Lateralus
    Opiate

Not to mention No Quarter, or the live versions of Pushit & Third Eye. 

Those tracks are glorious. 

Lateralus as your least favorite studio album - not something you hear often... to each his own though, I respect the rankings. 
    It should be higher than Undertow, that was an error.
    Aenima
    FI
    Lateralus
    Undertow
    Opiate

Undertow was always up there for me but I would love to see it get a remix.  Some of the recordings sound off to me now.
    edited June 2022
    I have to go:

Lateralus
    Aenima
    Opiate
    Undertow
    10,000 Days
    FI

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days is epic. I can't stand Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and I skip that every time - talk about boring (I know some love those tracks).

I listened to Rosetta Stoned again recently, and while I don't dislike it, I do agree it's way over rated by many fans. It's kind of a mess. 

I love the crescendo, but the shit show it takes to get there... it's probably not even in my top 50%. 

Right in Two otoh... I was pretty psyched to hear that live earlier this year. That might be my favorite of 10K Days. 
    I have to go:

Lateralus
    Aenima
    Opiate
    Undertow
    10,000 Days
    FI

I listened to Rosetta Stoned again recently, and while I don't dislike it, I do agree it's way over rated by many fans. It's kind of a mess. 

I love the crescendo, but the shit show it takes to get there... it's probably not even in my top 50%. 

Right in Two otoh... I was pretty psyched to hear that live earlier this year. That might be my favorite of 10K Days. 
    The drums in both RiT and Stoned are what I love about the songs.  They start me on the journey. Then the guitar and bass help my ride.

Stoned is a bit of a childish story but the riffs in that are friggin great.  "I forgot my pen, typical.."  Love that part.
    I have to go:

Lateralus
    Aenima
    Opiate
    Undertow
    10,000 Days
    FI

The drums in both RiT and Stoned are what I love about the songs.  They start me on the journey. Then the guitar and bass help my ride.

Stoned is a bit of a childish story but the riffs in that are friggin great.  "I forgot my pen, typical.."  Love that part.
    I used to LOVE Rosetta Stoned, and don't disagree, the drums and guitar are great. I don't even mind the story behind it, I just found it to be a mess when I went back to it recently. It just doesn't move the needle for me like it used to. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited June 2022

1 - FI

1 - Aenima

1 - 10k
    1 - Undertow

1 - Lateralus

1a- Opiate

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

#1) Aenima 
    #1A) Lateralus
    3) Undertow
    4) Fear Inoculum
    5) 10,000 Days

Agreed, no knock on the lyrics, they're pretty fantastic, and obviously the subject matter is as personal to him as it gets (& a lot of people can relate to it through their own experiences - I'm INCREDIBLY fortunate 45 years into life that I haven't lost either of my parents, or anyone else close enough for me to relate to the song in that way... not that that's a prerequisite, but I've heard a lot of people relate those tunes to the loss of their own parent / someone close). 

Still in all, they're some of my least favorite Tool songs, enough so that I skip over them when listening to 10K Days. 

Yeah, my husband relates to it/his mom in that sense. Like Maynard’s mother, she was quite devout. 

And I hear you — different strokes, etc. I think for me, Lateralus and 10000 Days are the closest to me. The other albums are nothing even close to sneezing at, just that those two are more personal and relatable to me.   
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Lateralus as a whole and the dong has a personal resonance for me. Puts it on top. Feels like a complete arc to me.

The others are a collection of songs. Nothing wrong in it. Just doesnt flow as well for me as Lateralus.

soooo

1. Lateralus
    1A in no order other than release date
      Aenima, 10,000 Days, FI
    2 Undertow
    3 Opiate

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Aenima
    Lateralus
    FI
    10k Days 
    Undertow
    Opiate
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I can't separate Ænima and Lateralus eh. TBH I can't separate the other three LPs either so would have them equal with Opiate and Salival the bottom two.

Not the biggest fan of Wings either. Same with the D/R/T trilogy. Payoff isn't the same as with other epics. Love Tool's sound though so will listen to them much like Culling Voices for the sound. But they are rarities-Tool's hit to miss ratio for songs I like is better than any other band.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    That video was awesome, thanks for sharing.  I love seeing when heavy music makes kids really happy, helps dispel the idea that rockers are angry and miserable (in my experience). 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    wow, that kid has got IT
    I'm generally not a fan of kids doing covers like this but she really seemed to be into it.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

edited June 2022

I like that cover better in yellow.

also gives hope for a normal version of the rest of the catalog being reissued.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just bought myself the FI raglan jersey 🙂

Wish I held off for this. 

The sound on the deluxe is fantastic, and while the packaging is also great, it's not worth the $. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I’m surprised it came so quick.  

My local shop is sitting on probably 10+ copies of the deluxe 

not sure on mine. Haven't looked. But would get this because it should be easier to remove a record to play......

Saw one at Newbury Comics on RSD for < $100

I'll pass on this and stick to my 5LP. Need the exercise.
    Such a good album. Their last live release had a great pressing. 

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    Hopefully 10KD is on its way soon on vinyl. That then an Ænima repress and we might be sweet (given up hope of a Salival reissue).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018