I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I just went to look at this and you paid $100 for this?

Talking about making money off of the return...
    It's the greatest pop record of all time.  You could argue Rumours too (I much prefer that one), but this album is a pop masterpiece.  So buying a box, 45 RPM, mastered from the original analog tapes for $100 in this record market is not unusual.  Pearl went for $125.  Clapton Unplugged was $125.  If your question is because you don't like the record, well that's an opinion.  But the price for what this is, is not out of range at all. 
    I'm pretty sure I bought In Rainbows 45rpm for less but ok.

$100 for a repressed record seems a bit much to me. Plus the listing says it's 33-1/3 on MD.

OK Just went down the rabbits hole.  Rumors is half that and VH box albums are a wee bit more.  I guess what's weird is I saw so many of these as a kid for like $5 and now they want $100 is odd.

I will learn to accept the $100 record, lol.  I mean I bought the Metallica MOP box set for $130?  That was a nice box set.
    MOFI definitely raised their prices in the last two years.  Prior, Kind of Blue was $55 as an example.  

Also, I don't think this is a repress.  I read this as a fresh mastering and lacquer cut from the original tapes.  I was not aware that MOFI had done Thriller before.  Is that the case?
    So they are doing a fresh pressing of this?  That is impressive then and not just using the old plates.

I forget that the words matter about these.
    As I understand it, I t’s the one step mastering that contributes to the high price. Only 500 copies per lacquer. I don’t know what the press run is on Thriller but it’s going to take a lot of lacquers. But what do I know. I’m a CD guy.

Speaking of lacquers, anybody know who is making them now since the fire in that plant in Southern California that destroyed the one plant that made most of them?  I heard there was a guy in Japan making them but in very limited numbers,  I wonder if a new plant (or more) has since been built?  That was big news for awhile- haven't heard much in the last year or so.
    I haven’t put two and two together on this before.

if they need more lacquers per run than normal and it’s hard to get them now?

is that why these coming soon mofi releases are coming soon for an eternity?  They seem really really behind. More than most 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Ocees new album A Foul Form!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited May 2022
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Pre-Order

I just went to look at this and you paid $100 for this?

Talking about making money off of the return...
    It's the greatest pop record of all time.  You could argue Rumours too (I much prefer that one), but this album is a pop masterpiece.  So buying a box, 45 RPM, mastered from the original analog tapes for $100 in this record market is not unusual.  Pearl went for $125.  Clapton Unplugged was $125.  If your question is because you don't like the record, well that's an opinion.  But the price for what this is, is not out of range at all. 
    I'm pretty sure I bought In Rainbows 45rpm for less but ok.

$100 for a repressed record seems a bit much to me. Plus the listing says it's 33-1/3 on MD.

OK Just went down the rabbits hole.  Rumors is half that and VH box albums are a wee bit more.  I guess what's weird is I saw so many of these as a kid for like $5 and now they want $100 is odd.

I will learn to accept the $100 record, lol.  I mean I bought the Metallica MOP box set for $130?  That was a nice box set.
    MOFI definitely raised their prices in the last two years.  Prior, Kind of Blue was $55 as an example.  

Also, I don't think this is a repress.  I read this as a fresh mastering and lacquer cut from the original tapes.  I was not aware that MOFI had done Thriller before.  Is that the case?
    So they are doing a fresh pressing of this?  That is impressive then and not just using the old plates.

I forget that the words matter about these.
    As I understand it, I t’s the one step mastering that contributes to the high price. Only 500 copies per lacquer. I don’t know what the press run is on Thriller but it’s going to take a lot of lacquers. But what do I know. I’m a CD guy.

Speaking of lacquers, anybody know who is making them now since the fire in that plant in Southern California that destroyed the one plant that made most of them?  I heard there was a guy in Japan making them but in very limited numbers,  I wonder if a new plant (or more) has since been built?  That was big news for awhile- haven't heard much in the last year or so.
    I haven’t put two and two together on this before.

if they need more lacquers per run than normal and it’s hard to get them now?

is that why these coming soon mofi releases are coming soon for an eternity?  They seem really really behind. More than most 

Yeah, I'm guessing the lacquer plant fire must have a lot to do with it.  I really need to take time to see what I can come up with on this.  Will try to remember to do some research later today.

Edit: doing a quick search, I found this so far:

"Before the fire, Apollo Masters was one of two factories worldwide to manufacture lacquer discs to be shipped to vinyl mastering studios. There, the blank lacquer would be cut from the master tape or digital source recording to produce a master from which metal molds are produced, for use in pressing the vinyl records. With the destruction of Apollo Masters, producing lacquer discs fell solely to a small Japanese company, MDC. This caused a significant strain on the industry, as Apollo Masters was responsible for 70-85% of lacquer production.[3][4] As a result of the strain, orders became backlogged and delayed, with priority falling to countries with bigger volumes of orders, such as the United Kingdom and the United States.[5] Rebuilding of the facility is uncertain, as it would require hazardous waste remediation and navigating California's environmental laws.[2]

With a decrease in lacquer production, some vinyl pressing plants turned to alternate means of producing records, including direct metal mastering, a costly method of producing records with copper instead of lacquer.[4][6]

The fire also brought together the vinyl industry community, resulting in the creation of Vinyl Record Manufacturers Association of North America (VRMA), devoted to strengthening the industry.[4] Around fifty companies are involved with the association, working together to increase the amount of lacquer production plants and prevent a repeat of any event similar to the Apollo Masters fire."
    From other things I've read, some of the shortage of lacquers has been taken up by Direct Metal Mastering (DMM).  DMM, however, seems to have a reputation for taking some of the "warm" out of vinyl records.  Lacquers general have been the gold standard for mastering records.

I didn't see anything on Vinyl Record Manufacturers Association of North America that was mentioned above, some I'm not sure how that has progressed.   It would be interesting read read a good current article that covers all this.  I'll keep my eye out for one.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Not a huge fan (especially with all of his recent cringeworthy antivax and other views coming out) but I do enjoy this album specifically so I sprung for it given that fact that I know it will sound fantastic. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301

Finally added these to my collection. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

I kick myself for not having picked up Herbie's Head Hunter back when it came out.  Good early pressing are way up there now.  Is this a reissue?  Would love to find a good affordable re-issue!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

I kick myself for not having picked up Herbie's Head Hunter back when it came out.  Good early pressing are way up there now.  Is this a reissue?  Would love to find a good affordable re-issue!
    It's a Music On Vinyl (MOV) reissue yeah. Cost me 30 dollars new.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

The AP version is available... Great Sound, or you could hold out for the AP 45RPM as it is backordered

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/104678/Herbie_Hancock-Head_Hunters-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    pjpjpaul said:

Not a huge fan (especially with all of his recent cringeworthy antivax and other views coming out) but I do enjoy this album specifically so I sprung for it given that fact that I know it will sound fantastic. 
    Just the ho hum OG CD is the finest sounding "in-the-room"  live album I've ever heard.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

It's a Music On Vinyl (MOV) reissue yeah. Cost me 30 dollars new.
    A possibility, thanks! 
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

The AP version is available... Great Sound, or you could hold out for the AP 45RPM as it is backordered

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/104678/Herbie_Hancock-Head_Hunters-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Tempting- and not a bad price for an AP.
    Food for thought, thanks!

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Fantastic!

MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

I was curious to see what other albums they had on there and how on earth did someone convince them to reissue a Faster Pussycat album?!?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

I was curious to see what other albums they had on there and how on earth did someone convince them to reissue a Faster Pussycat album?!?
    AP didn't.  Acoustic Sounds is a normal online record store along with being the official outlet of Analogue Productions.  So you can get normal records there along with the official AP stuff.  
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

AP didn't.  Acoustic Sounds is a normal online record store along with being the official outlet of Analogue Productions.  So you can get normal records there along with the official AP stuff.  
    The AP Eddie Money has always stuck out to me as a  weird one. I’ve never thought I needed the definitive version of two tickets to paradise

unless I’m just not up to speed on my Eddie Money appreciation yet  
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

That would make sense then.  I just couldn't see them doing that for them...
    mickeyrat said:

Fantastic!
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

The AP Eddie Money has always stuck out to me as a  weird one. I’ve never thought I needed the definitive version of two tickets to paradise

unless I’m just not up to speed on my Eddie Money appreciation yet  

Eddie Money on AP?  That is head scratching, indeed.  I try not to disparage music I'm not a fan of, and I don't mean to be putting down Mr. Money, but that really does seem like an odd choice to be put out on AP!

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Snagged a reissue copy of RHCP Freaky Styley from Plaid Room last night. Hopefully they get more copies of Uplift Mofo Party Plan soon.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    From my local record store:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited June 2022
    From 10C:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

2014 mono analog Beatles are unbeatable.  
    Preordered 

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Got this from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $89. Opened but records look good.

Tool - FI

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    Picked up several  old original classics last week in near perfect condition. 
    edited June 2022
    Picked up the AP pet sounds 45rpm a few weeks back 

sounds fantastic.  However on mine the stylus only catches the grooves when you drop the needle at the very outside edge of the lead in groove.  Anywhere else on the lead in groove or anywhere on the audio portion of the record and it plays on top of the grooves, a terrible scratching sound. It’s almost like the grooves are bent at such an angle the stylus can’t get in.  Once it’s in the grooves though it doesn’t play with any of the distortion I would expect with deformed grooves. 

It’s the only record I’ve ever bought with this issue.  Been debating a return but it almost seems like a pressing issue so if that’s the case the replacement will probably be the same.  All 4 sides do it 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Picked up the AP pet sounds 45rpm a few weeks back 

sounds fantastic.  However on mine the stylus only catches the grooves when you drop the needle at the very outside edge of the lead in groove.  Anywhere else on the lead in groove or anywhere on the audio portion of the record and it plays on top of the grooves, a terrible scratching sound. It’s almost like the grooves are bent at such an angle the stylus can’t get in.  Once it’s in the grooves though it doesn’t play with any of the distortion I would expect with deformed grooves. 

It’s the only record I’ve ever bought with this issue.  Been debating a return but it almost seems like a pressing issue so if that’s the case the replacement will probably be the same.  All 4 sides do it 

I'd at least try to return it.  AP would likely send you a single record to replace the bad one, rather than you havnig to return the whole thing.  That has been what they have done for me whenever I had an issue.